Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551846 times)

marcumr, ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16375 on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:18 am »
New York Airshow today at Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY. A few pictures.
F-16

The rest of the album is here:

https://imageshack.com/a/x2Yo/1

As small as the -16 is, it's pretty impressive how much crap they can hang from it, huh?   :o

-Pat
F15 is an awesome fighting platform, we have 3 squadrons of them stationed on this side of the pond, at RAF Lakenheath.

There was no F-15 at this airshow. Nor an F-22 or F-35. I wish there had been. Two F-16's, One F/A-18, and One A-10. The rest were a C-130, C-17, and C-5. And the 2 war birds....B17 and B25. Plus some civilian aircraft. I was actually a little disappointed that there weren't more of a variety of aircraft.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16376 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:34 am »
Hour 49 of 2-day print...

I'll post pics when its all done and assembled... I know, I'm a total bastard.  >:D

I'm surprised a 3d printer has remained operational for that long :) Perhaps there is an opportunity for a redesign that makes manufacturing less, um, full of suspense.

Why don't you split this subject off into a different thread, so that it isn't lost for posterity when this thread hits the 50,000 messages?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16377 on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:24 am »

As Saddam found out, as the Tailban found out, and ISIS found out.....this gun will seriously fuck you up.

That's an understatement.  It goes 'Burrrrrrp', and whatever was in front of it is no more!  I would not want to be in an enemy tank on the modern battlefield!

-Pat

Especially when loaded with the Uranium depleted rounds. No armour on earth will protect you.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16378 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:14 am »
The A-10 looks like a bird that would be a blast to fly!  A giant, turbofan powered Cub built around a big, honkin' gun.   :-+  It's tough to appreciate how huge that rotary cannon is until you see on face to face on a flight line like that, and look into the maw of those huge barrels.   :o :o
That's an understatement.  It goes 'Burrrrrrp', and whatever was in front of it is no more!  I would not want to be in an enemy tank on the modern battlefield!

ISTR the gun, without the barrel, is about the same size as a VW Beetle. A sustained burst significantly reduced the warthog's airspeed.

Yes, flying below treetop height is great fun :)

I thought the warthogs had been defined to be obsolete, and replaced by ground attack F16s and smart munitions. Yes, a few comments about battlefield survivability were made.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16379 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:16 am »
The A-10 looks like a bird that would be a blast to fly!  A giant, turbofan powered Cub built around a big, honkin' gun.   :-+  It's tough to appreciate how huge that rotary cannon is until you see on face to face on a flight line like that, and look into the maw of those huge barrels.   :o :o

ISTR the gun, without the barrel, is about the same size as a VW Beetle. A sustained burst significantly reduced the warthog's airspeed.

Yes, flying below treetop height is great fun :)

I thought the warthogs had been defined to be obsolete, and replaced by ground attack F16s and smart munitions. Yes, a few comments about battlefield survivability were made.

The USAF has wanted to retire the A-10 for years stating that F-16's and F-35's can take over that role which is an absolute joke.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16380 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:47 am »
I bought a Seaward RCD tester RC750 with case on *bay yesterday (£20).   :-+
Was sitting there -no one wanted it and the seller had re-listed it several times over the last months.
Yesterday I bid the minimum price, was the only bidder and won (~£32 including shipping). Paid instantly.

This very morning I find the transaction cancelled by the seller saying it's no longer available because it was water damaged in the meantime. :wtf:  >:(   

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:

I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16381 on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:06 am »
It took 3 days to get from Osaka, Japan to the ISC in Lost Angeles California on Sept 1st... then it hung in limbo until TODAY, where it was FINALLY actually scanned by one of our USPS muppets when it arrived in Houston. Not a SINGLE TIME ANYWHERE... from the time it came off the plane, passed through Ifni knows HOW MANY HANDS at the USPS between LA and Houston 2 WEEKS LATER... did ANYONE bother to scan the fucking thing.   |O

It's possible that much of that time it sat in Customs. Although I have had stuff from Ali Express come and get delivered from China thru LA in less than 2 weeks. But they definitely are not as efficient as Customs at JFK in NY. I've had stuff arrive from overseas and clear customs in 1 day.

I had a similar experience just recently with a package from Asia. It was last reported leaving Thailand and stayed that way for weeks. Suddently it appeared in my mailbox and I was puzzled what the thing was, until I opened it. So much for tracking.

So, no different to fleabay's GSP tracking :(

I currently have something that is well tracked within the US, but has spent 4 days marked "In Transit with Destination Carrier 13ten". 13ten is an aggregator that uses several local delivery companies (some good, some cause groans), and requires a barcode for tracking. Naturally fleabay does not indicate the barcode.

Hence I can't track it to see when I should remain in - thanks for nothing, fleabay.
Oh, but you can, is the 13ten underlined or highlighted? If so click on it and that opens their tracking page to provide more info. That page will also normally indicate if its been passed to another courier and have another clickable link. Then the next page will normally have another clickable link that says something like "visit Yodel" click on that link and it will tell you where it is and when it will be delivered.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16382 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:00 am »
Was sitting there -no one wanted it and the seller had re-listed it several times over the last months.
Yesterday I bid the minimum price, was the only bidder and won (~£32 including shipping). Paid instantly.

This very morning I find the transaction cancelled by the seller saying it's no longer available because it was water damaged in the meantime. :wtf:  >:(   

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:

I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
He might have had it advertised elsewhere as well and before he could remove it someone offered more money so mugged you off. Annoying isn't it but it happens.

I brought a bench meter from a seller who advertised on ebay and shpock. On ebay it was £175 starting bid and on Shpock it £250 which is where I brought it but I managed to negotiate it down to £100. It was still left on ebay for another day before it was removed, but luckily I had the meter in my hand within the hour as he lived close to me. Had that been the case, I might have been in a similar position to you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:37:20 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16383 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:48 am »
It took 3 days to get from Osaka, Japan to the ISC in Lost Angeles California on Sept 1st... then it hung in limbo until TODAY, where it was FINALLY actually scanned by one of our USPS muppets when it arrived in Houston. Not a SINGLE TIME ANYWHERE... from the time it came off the plane, passed through Ifni knows HOW MANY HANDS at the USPS between LA and Houston 2 WEEKS LATER... did ANYONE bother to scan the fucking thing.   |O

It's possible that much of that time it sat in Customs. Although I have had stuff from Ali Express come and get delivered from China thru LA in less than 2 weeks. But they definitely are not as efficient as Customs at JFK in NY. I've had stuff arrive from overseas and clear customs in 1 day.

I had a similar experience just recently with a package from Asia. It was last reported leaving Thailand and stayed that way for weeks. Suddently it appeared in my mailbox and I was puzzled what the thing was, until I opened it. So much for tracking.

I currently have something that is well tracked within the US, but has spent 4 days marked "In Transit with Destination Carrier 13ten". 13ten is an aggregator that uses several local delivery companies (some good, some cause groans), and requires a barcode for tracking. Naturally fleabay does not indicate the barcode.

Hence I can't track it to see when I should remain in - thanks for nothing, fleabay.
Oh, but you can, is the 13ten underlined or highlighted? If so click on it and that opens their tracking page to provide more info. That page will also normally indicate if its been passed to another courier and have another clickable link. Then the next page will normally have another clickable link that says something like "visit Yodel" click on that link and it will tell you where it is and when it will be delivered.

On all the various pages I can locate, the 13ten is not a link. All means
  • in my "purchase history" with a javascript popup window
  • in "Home > My eBay > Order details" for the specific item with  "Estimated delivery Friday, 14. Sep 2018 - Thursday, 20. Sep 2018, - Hide Shipping Details,  ✓Delivery info received, ✓In transit, Delivered, Wednesday, 12. Sep 2018 10:50 AM In Transit with Destination Carrier 13ten, ...."

Am I missing a page somewhere?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16384 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:32 am »

On all the various pages I can locate, the 13ten is not a link. All means
  • in my "purchase history" with a javascript popup window
  • in "Home > My eBay > Order details" for the specific item with  "Estimated delivery Friday, 14. Sep 2018 - Thursday, 20. Sep 2018, - Hide Shipping Details,  ✓Delivery info received, ✓In transit, Delivered, Wednesday, 12. Sep 2018 10:50 AM In Transit with Destination Carrier 13ten, ...."

Am I missing a page somewhere?
Let me look on my computer in a few minutes instead of using my phone and I'll have a look and come back to you.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16385 on: September 16, 2018, 08:57:05 am »
Can anyone recommend a relatively decent DMM?

This is a question I can answer myself easily but not within the parameters I have been given.

I am forever asked for recommendations from people who’s jaws drop when I suggest a cheap Brymen etc with comments like “I was expecting £20”. This it has to be cheap as chips and shipped from the Far East. Never will it be used on the mains. I was thinking one of those Aneng type units. Or is there something better now?

BTW I’ve found a bug in the BM867s. If you float around the ranging boundary of 5v and there’s an AC signal on it, even if it’s only 100mV or so it never settles on a range. After a minute or two it hangs and requires being rebooted. Not good  :--  ... put the U1241C on it and did the same test around it’s ranging boundary and it’s rock solid. Also i have put it on 40 readings/sec and it’s still stable there.

I usually use the BM867s on manual range so this isn’t an issue in daily use but a frustrating point.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16386 on: September 16, 2018, 09:02:04 am »
AVO 8 Mk5.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16387 on: September 16, 2018, 09:10:46 am »
These guys already have them and have only just realised that they’re a pile of crap.

Bear in mind they were new when they bought theirs and they cost a fortune then and they think you’re going to get something decent for £20  :palm: ... ones got a brand spanking new merc E class and a £3k radio but you know won’t spend more than £20 on a DMM.

I think I’m just going to give up going to that club and stay at home.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:13:03 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16388 on: September 16, 2018, 09:23:10 am »

This is a question I can answer myself easily but not within the parameters I have been given.

I am forever asked for recommendations from people who’s jaws drop when I suggest a cheap Brymen etc with comments like “I was expecting £20”. This it has to be cheap as chips and shipped from the Far East. Never will it be used on the mains. I was thinking one of those Aneng type units. Or is there something better now?

BTW I’ve found a bug in the BM867s. If you float around the ranging boundary of 5v and there’s an AC signal on it, even if it’s only 100mV or so it never settles on a range. After a minute or two it hangs and requires being rebooted. Not good  :--  ... put the U1241C on it and did the same test around it’s ranging boundary and it’s rock solid. Also i have put it on 40 readings/sec and it’s still stable there.

I usually use the BM867s on manual range so this isn’t an issue in daily use but a frustrating point.

I rather like secondhand Fluke 25, which doesn't conflict with any of your technical specifications :) If they are working they are pretty bulletproof squaddie proof.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16390 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:51 am »

I rather like secondhand Fluke 25, which doesn't conflict with any of your technical specifications :) If they are working they are pretty bulletproof squaddie proof.

That’s not a bad solution.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Brand-New-auto-range-DMM-AC-DC-Voltmeter-Capacitance-Resistance-VC97-digital-Multimeter-Freeshipping/2042113445.html?

or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digital-Multimeter-PM18C/32790622833.html?

VC97 looks the part!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16391 on: September 16, 2018, 09:28:25 am »
These guys already have them and have only just realised that they’re a pile of crap.

Bear in mind they were new when they bought theirs and they cost a fortune then and they think you’re going to get something decent for £20  :palm: ... ones got a brand spanking new merc E class and a £3k radio but you know won’t spend more than £20 on a DMM.

I think I’m just going to give up going to that club and stay at home.
That's the thing, why make a recommendation when they wouldn't know how to use one or what they need in a DMM anyways. They'd be better getting a Harbor Freight POS until they know the value of a good DMM. My first 1/2 decent one was a VC99 for under $30 US but when a customer wanted a pile of Fluke 15B's I got them at a price that was worth getting a couple more of which I kept one. They do all I need but they were still ~$70ea.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16392 on: September 16, 2018, 09:35:44 am »
They know what to do with them. Hell one of them proudly stated they use Keysight bench meters in the office. But you know there’s this magic cheap thing where if it’s coming out of their own pocket then they want a golden egg laying unicorn for £20.

Really I told them to go and buy an 87V but that resulted in pfft and sighing.

Same dudes will drive 20 miles to save 1p/litre on petrol.

I digress but this is typical amateur radio community here. Devoid of any intelligence and consistency.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:37:29 am by bd139 »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16393 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:39 am »

He might have had it advertised elsewhere as well and before he could remove it someone offered more money so mugged you off. Annoying isn't it but it happens.

I am very annoyed by this, indeed -it would also violate *bay selling rules btw.   :rant:

1. Answer from seller:
He was following *bay advice on how to proceed with such an unfortunate situation. I please should contact *bay if I'd wish to proceed further..
No reaction to my question for photos or any proof of the damage. No reaction to my interest in the tester even if damaged -perhaps for a partial refund.   :--

I repeat; very annoying.  >:(
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16394 on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:55 am »
@URI, yep thats what happened then, someone else offered more on another site for sure.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16395 on: September 16, 2018, 10:06:10 am »
@tggzzz, here is a screen print of my shipment, this the one I received after my item arrived in the uk and the 13ten is shown in a different colour and clicking that opened a further page and from that another page which had the infor I was after.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #16396 on: September 16, 2018, 10:25:55 am »
Personal Question:

Does somebody that has actually built some circuits and projects can still be a TEA (see my profile) ?
Need I be concerned ? Is it contageous ?  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16397 on: September 16, 2018, 10:45:31 am »
@tggzzz, here is a screen print of my shipment, this the one I received after my item arrived in the uk and the 13ten is shown in a different colour and clicking that opened a further page and from that another page which had the infor I was after.

Thanks.  I don't see anything like that. It that in an email message or order history?

All I can see is (latest email (dated 12th) plus two order history screenshots) shown below.

Edit: had a  "chat" with ebay, with no result. They will ask the GSP team and send me an email.

Clearly they have been on a Dale Carnegie "how to win friends and influence people" course, since every message contains my name. "Never forget that to the <other person> the sweetest sound in the language is their own name" Gag.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:10:14 am by tggzzz »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16398 on: September 16, 2018, 10:53:49 am »
Personal Question:

Does somebody that has actually built some circuits and projects can still be a TEA (see my profile) ?
Need I be concerned ? Is it contageous ?  :-DD

Yes on all counts :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16399 on: September 16, 2018, 11:03:04 am »

Thanks.  I don't see anything like that. It that in an email message or order history?

All I can see is (latest email (dated 12th) plus two order history screenshots):
Have you tried clicking on the "See full tracking history"?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf