Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14829497 times)

wkb and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #18375 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:17 am »
You made me look up where I stashed my 80186 SOS rad-hard 16MHz specimen, just to be sure...
But 'efficient AND beautiful' in SW has a name for me, and that is 68k assembler.

On the topic of SW-developers and testing:
one such guy nearly had me send to ICELAND, to be flown up to some ugly troll-infested hill and take measurements on the unit, for which hardware I am responsible, because he somehow 'forgot' how to write successive commands into a register to cope with a documented FPGA bug. It worked before.
Now it doesn't work in the field. Two and a half SW versions in between. But the SW-dev team cries 'must be hardware'.
I'm still here. The backlog of SW-dev got a bit longer. The expert in question 're-learned' the trick from some Python code clobbered together by a HW-dev engineer for the production test stand. But as the credo is 'we are a Software company', the well deserved forty lashes with a sturdy RF cable won't happen.

For that i would recommend LMR400 cable  >:D ... and if it happens again resort to waveguides.

Im pretty used to hardware being guilty until proven innocent.
Not saying its never the hardware, but there have been plenty of cases where i had to remind someone to raise a reset line, select the right clock frequency or use the right I2C address to be able to talk to that mysteriously unresponsive chip(That according to them is clearly not working right or dead). Luckily so far that never gotten me into in a mandatory trip across half the world yet.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18376 on: October 19, 2018, 08:10:56 am »
My leads and plugs arrived yesterday from Bang-me-good and unlike the ones I reported on before which were rubbish, these ones are really very good indeed, the leads are nice and soft and flexible and certainly have the look and feel of being silicon while the actual contacts fit nice and snuggly in all of my meters. The same can be said for the loose plugs, they have nice and long contacts that will into the even the most recessed sockets and I can recommend them to anyone. Details and photos below if interested.

Plugs
https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P3008-10Pcs-4mm-Copper-Banana-Plug-Jack-Speaker-Amplifier-Test-Probes-Connector-p-1109354.html?

Leads
https://www.banggood.com/P1036-5Pcs-1M-4mm-Banana-to-Banana-Plug-Test-Cable-Lead-for-Multimeter-5-Colors-p-1237898.html?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18377 on: October 19, 2018, 09:09:41 am »
The top plugs are the same as the ones that came with my VTVM probe kit.

Not terrible!

But not Pomona  :-DD

Just had school meeting. Won a battle finally. Celebratory curry tonight  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18378 on: October 19, 2018, 09:15:11 am »
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my latest acquisition, another Tek TDS210, not that I need another but it comes with a differential probe, something I have been looking for at a sensible price.

In the meantime I'm almost done with the repair of a TEAC CR-H250, CR-H240 (both of these are now working just fine) and a TEAC T-H300DAMmkII which appears to have a duff switching transistor and although I have a data sheet, I'm struggling to find a supplier or an equivalent transistor. I attach the data sheet incase anyone could throw some light on the problem?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18379 on: October 19, 2018, 09:25:11 am »
The top plugs are the same as the ones that came with my VTVM probe kit.

Not terrible!

But not Pomona  :-DD

You're correct, they are not Pomona, but they are longer and actually work better with the recessed sockets on the 3478A (which won't accept the shrouded plugs), and so give a far greater contact area.   :box:

So you finally got to tell the school just what you think of them then and won the fight in the process, well done  :-+ There is however a price to be paid now, you that don't you, there always with a celebratory curry and that's a burning ring of fire later on  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18381 on: October 19, 2018, 09:38:27 am »
You're correct, they are not Pomona, but they are longer and actually work better with the recessed sockets on the 3478A (which won't accept the shrouded plugs), and so give a far greater contact area.   :box:

Pomona ones fit nicely. What they lack in depth they gain in grip and girth  :-DD

So you finally got to tell the school just what you think of them then and won the fight in the process, well done  :-+ There is however a price to be paid now, you that don't you, there always with a celebratory curry and that's a burning ring of fire later on  :-DD

I'm sure I will be served karma by the school later. Life is never that easy. As for the curry, indeed. Worth it though  :-DD

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my latest acquisition, another Tek TDS210, not that I need another but it comes with a differential probe, something I have been looking for at a sensible price.

In the meantime I'm almost done with the repair of a TEAC CR-H250, CR-H240 (both of these are now working just fine) and a TEAC T-H300DAMmkII which appears to have a duff switching transistor and although I have a data sheet, I'm struggling to find a supplier or an equivalent transistor. I attach the data sheet incase anyone could throw some light on the problem?

That's what they call a "digital transistor". Or "lazy bastard designer transistor". Usually only available in stupid quantities (200 units plus) from experience. Looking at the datasheet, a BC557 and a couple of resistors are a suitable substitute. Resistors as per datasheet.

Last one of these I did, I soldered the transistor in, cut the base trace, inserted two SMD resistors across pads/traces and sprayed it with conformal coat.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:40:52 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18382 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40:31 am »

And then dutch oven the wife afterwards?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18383 on: October 19, 2018, 09:41:12 am »

Hahaha the whole house will be a dutch oven after that  :-DD

I will be told "I'm going for a walk" later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18384 on: October 19, 2018, 10:12:18 am »

Pomona ones fit nicely. What they lack in depth they gain in grip and girth  :-DD

I'm sure I will be served karma by the school later. Life is never that easy. As for the curry, indeed. Worth it though  :-DD

That's what they call a "digital transistor". Or "lazy bastard designer transistor". Usually only available in stupid quantities (200 units plus) from experience. Looking at the datasheet, a BC557 and a couple of resistors are a suitable substitute. Resistors as per datasheet.

Last one of these I did, I soldered the transistor in, cut the base trace, inserted two SMD resistors across pads/traces and sprayed it with conformal coat.
Yeah, I did think about that as well as an option but not sure if it's doable in the tracks as they are already pretty rammed on the board and that maybe the reason for their selection in the first place. I could perhaps make a small daughter board, plenty of space above on the component side. [emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18385 on: October 19, 2018, 10:19:51 am »
Yeah thats a good option. A bit of 0.8mm thick FR4 with three strips on it and transistor soldered on the end would do the job.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #18386 on: October 19, 2018, 10:55:38 am »
There is however a price to be paid now, you that don't you, there always with a celebratory curry and that's a burning ring of fire later on  :-DD

I feel sorry for you folks that feel the burn from both ends.  Thankfully, never had that issue, even with the ghost pepper chicken wings that I ate ONCE.  :scared: >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18387 on: October 19, 2018, 11:38:48 am »
I have sinned again. 

I just ordered a hp 5385a frequency counter.  It looks clean.  I hope it comes out good.   
From TeEquipment on eBay.  A little pricey, but I guess I'm hoping they check the units out well.  I emailed them about the condition and they said it was thoroughly checked out by their techs and is clean and accurate.  It has a OCXO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Agilent-5385A-1-Hz-to-1-GHz-Frequency-Counter-with-opt-004-Oven-Time-Base/253926537300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:52:56 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18388 on: October 19, 2018, 12:13:54 pm »
That’s not a bad price. They go for more than that here without OCXO.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18389 on: October 19, 2018, 01:08:46 pm »
That's a good price. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was a 3478A [emoji16]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #18390 on: October 19, 2018, 02:01:32 pm »
I have sinned again. 

We're all sinners here. This is the confessional booth - you can talk about it here. We have no TEA preists though, so your sins can't be forgiven (thank goodness).

I just ordered a hp 5385a frequency counter.  It looks clean.  I hope it comes out good.   
From TeEquipment on eBay.  A little pricey, but I guess I'm hoping they check the units out well.  I emailed them about the condition and they said it was thoroughly checked out by their techs and is clean and accurate.  It has a OCXO.

That's cool. I have a 5384A in my collection which is rated to 225 MHz. You got a decent unit for your needs at a good price.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #18391 on: October 19, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »
My leads and plugs arrived yesterday from Bang-me-good and unlike the ones I reported on before which were rubbish, these ones are really very good indeed, the leads are nice and soft and flexible and certainly have the look and feel of being silicon while the actual contacts fit nice and snuggly in all of my meters. The same can be said for the loose plugs, they have nice and long contacts that will into the even the most recessed sockets and I can recommend them to anyone. Details and photos below if interested.

Plugs
https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P3008-10Pcs-4mm-Copper-Banana-Plug-Jack-Speaker-Amplifier-Test-Probes-Connector-p-1109354.html?

Leads
https://www.banggood.com/P1036-5Pcs-1M-4mm-Banana-to-Banana-Plug-Test-Cable-Lead-for-Multimeter-5-Colors-p-1237898.html?
    I looked at those plugs, but I have two concerns:

1) The shape of the contact fingers seems very sharp on the leading edge; I'm concerned about it scraping off soft plating materials on gold-plated sockets, as that design/shape tends to concentrate a lot of pressure on those sharp points on the leading edge.

2) I never screw my leads to the wires, I always solder; I've seen similar-looking connectors wherein the body was plated aluminum. Cheap aluminum castings, very primitive machining, then plated. Can you tell me if the body is brass/bronze or ferrous or what?

As for those stackable leads... the wire on those look like Pliovic; I'm certain that if they WERE silicone, they would be singing about it loud & proud. ;) Even though... they still look like excellent quality for the money, as long as you don't need heavier gauge than approx 1mm conductor core, which I do. I may STILL buy a set or two of them before the borders close because they're so cheap.  :-DMM

@mnementh

https://www.banggood.com/Amass-4mm-24A-1000V-Banana-Plug-Connector-for-PCB-Board-p-1343899.html
https://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-4mm-Nickel-Plated-Binding-Post-Banana-Jack-Socket-Plug-p-953213.html

I don't know how you are planning to fit either of these to the 3478A?

Gross malfeasance. Cringeworthy "Ghetto-fab". Egregious Drill press/Dremel abuse.  :-DD

Depends on exactly how the parts measure out once they get here. I would PREFER to use the jacks that are actually RATED 1KV/24A. But if I'm FORCED to, I'll use the unrated ones with the screw collars. If I CAN use the rated ones, it certainly won't be as pretty inside, but then I COULD use the unrated ones on the back. Depends on whether I'm feeling froggy at the time once I get back to it.  >:D

I WILL be very careful, and I'm 98% positive that either way I can come up with a mod that is NOT ugly once the covers are back on.

So NOT feeling any sympathy...

my wife is a Cajun queen, by her own definition; when she gets a craving for Red Beans & Rice, or Andouille Sausage Gumbo, etc... no corner of the house is safe. She is every bit as much of a serial offender as me with my Cholupka and "Yankee Chili" (Pretty low on the Scovill scale - mostly lots of beef and Kidley beans and the Cajun "Holy Trinity" including the 4th ingredient thereof, garlic, in copious amounts) with or without sweet Italian sausage.

I'm just thankful she doesn't follow the common wisbom in this part of the country that "burns like battery acid=flavor"  :palm: and that she will NOT cook or eat a mud bug, which in my mind are NOT FOOD, but rather were only EVER useful for tormenting while playing in the creek when I was growing up as a child.

mnem
*p00t!*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:46:38 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18392 on: October 19, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
Oh, I'm so anxious for the DSOX3034A being delivered to me. Waiting is sooo hard.   :(

Keysight dispatched the packet with it in yesterday. One day before the estimated date.  :-+
But with DPD. That's a good start to let it go bad.

When I went to bed last night I could see it being transported -not being able to change the destination to a local store to be delivered to alternatively. I tried because I knew I wouldn't be able to receive it while being at work -as my wife.
This morning 05:16 it was delivered to the DPD local hub.
At 05:19 it was marked being out for delivery.
At 05:30 my alarm clock ended my night.
Around one hour later I got to the computer and checked the delivery status.
At 06:46 I specified a store as the alternative destination for delivery -without any hint in the process that this wasn't effecting a packet already out for delivery.   :--
When I checked the tracking Information at 14:00 I saw that the packet couldn't be delivered.  :wtf:
I called the hotline. The voice menu system failed three attempts to understand my spoken tracking number.   :palm:
After that I was routed through to a human ...after 12 minutes -full of periodically repeated spoken info- and promotion-messages only interrupted by brainwashing jingles.    :rant:

I had to learn then that I could only have been specifying an alternative destination for delivery for the same day before the packet was going on tour for delivery but -of course- after it being transported to the local hub.
Effectively, I had a three-minute window for that between 05:16 and 05:19..   :wtf:   :palm:

Because DPD doesn't deliver on Saturdays I now have to wait til Monday afternoon...!    :scared:

On the other hand I already downloaded the calibration certificate (not against something like NIST but factory calibration).
The scope passed all tests without any objections.   :-+   :)

*happy*   :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18393 on: October 19, 2018, 05:40:41 pm »
Awe-freaking some!!!   :-+

So... since it's actually on its way... is it too soon to ask just HOW MUCH it cost all totaled?  :phew:

Or dooya wanna wait until you have it in your sweaty little mitts  and confirm it at least passes basic reality checks lest you jinx yourself?   :scared:

mnem
*Poring over 3478A Schizzmatics*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18394 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:00 pm »
Awe-freaking some!!!   :-+

So... since it's actually on its way... is it too soon to ask just HOW MUCH it cost all totaled?  :phew:

Or dooya wanna wait until you have it in your sweaty little mitts  and confirm it at least passes basic reality checks lest you jinx yourself?   :scared:

Hmm. Planned to do so. Right below a photo of the working unit showing it with all accessories I paid for.   8)

Keeping up suspense..   >:D   :-DD
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:16:16 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18395 on: October 19, 2018, 05:59:00 pm »
I grok in fullness.  :-+

mnem
*Poring over schizzmatics* "Good lord... they put that THERE?"

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18396 on: October 19, 2018, 06:31:51 pm »

Plugs

Leads
    I looked at those plugs, but I have two concerns:

1) The shape of the contact fingers seems very sharp on the leading edge; I'm concerned about it scraping off soft plating materials on gold-plated sockets, as that design/shape tends to concentrate a lot of pressure on those sharp points on the leading edge.

2) I never screw my leads to the wires, I always solder; I've seen similar-looking connectors wherein the body was plated aluminum. Cheap aluminum castings, very primitive machining, then plated. Can you tell me if the body is brass/bronze or ferrous or what?

As for those stackable leads... the wire on those look like Pliovic; I'm certain that if they WERE silicone, they would be singing about it loud & proud. ;) Even though... they still look like excellent quality for the money, as long as you don't need heavier gauge than approx 1mm conductor core, which I do. I may STILL buy a set or two of them before the borders close because they're so cheap.  :-DMM

mnem
*p00t!*
1/ (A) Sharp edges on the leading edge etc? where, I assure you that they are perfectly rounded and smooth along their entire length, methinks someone needs to visit Specsavers  :-DD

(B) Gold plated sockets, what have you got with gold plated sockets?, I'm not aware of any manufacturer who fits these to their test gear, certainly the level of gear that you and I are likely to have  :-//

2/ (A) Remove the screw and then solder the wire in, get a far stronger joint too by way of the solder flowing into the screw hole and threads as well as the cable hole.

(B) The body is brass and has a good weight to it, only the screw is ferrous.

The stackable leads, yes, I didn't think that the cable was silicon but has the look and general; feel of silicon and the cable size is perfectly fine for my requirements, I have some 12ga cable to make some heavy duty ones when I come across the need to do so.

The price is really good for the overall quality I agree, no complaints in that area at all, in fact the only real complaint is the time it takes to get gear from China  :palm:, by the time it arrives, you've almost forgotten that you ordered anything.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18397 on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
@URI can hardly breathe here with the suspense of seeing some photos of it up and running in all its glory.

Did they do the repair FOC and you paid for the carriage?

Awesome deal if they did.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18398 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:53 pm »
1/ (A) Sharp edges on the leading edge etc? where, I assure you that they are perfectly rounded and smooth along their entire length, methinks someone needs to visit Specsavers  :-DD

(B) Gold plated sockets, what have you got with gold plated sockets?, I'm not aware of any manufacturer who fits these to their test gear, certainly the level of gear that you and I are likely to have  :-//

2/ (A) Remove the screw and then solder the wire in, get a far stronger joint too by way of the solder flowing into the screw hole and threads as well as the cable hole.

(B) The body is brass and has a good weight to it, only the screw is ferrous.

The stackable leads, yes, I didn't think that the cable was silicon but has the look and general; feel of silicon and the cable size is perfectly fine for my requirements, I have some 12ga cable to make some heavy duty ones when I come across the need to do so.

The price is really good for the overall quality I agree, no complaints in that area at all, in fact the only real complaint is the time it takes to get gear from China  :palm:, by the time it arrives, you've almost forgotten that you ordered anything.  :-DD

I can assure you, speaking as someone with real machinist experience, that from a wear/abrasion standpoint, that corner constitutes a sharp edge, just waiting to scrape off some plating; especially soft plating like gold.

I have LOTS of gear with gold plated 4mm jacks; remember, I'm in RC and I use these connectors all the time for gear I fab myself. Wear loss of plating is a constant factor; such attrition is one of the things I plan and allow for in pursuit of lowest possible contact resistance for the high-current stuff I work with. I already have to replace jacks periodically, as even HGE (7-10 micron) jacks have a rated connection life of 2000-3000 cycles.  I can see these plugs, just by a guess, easily decreasing that life tenfold.

I like that the plug body is brass; remove the screw & solder the wire inside is exactly how I'd prefer to use them. Can you tell if the spring contacts are brass or ferrous?

mnem
*Currently trying to fix my MisFit, which appears to have lost its mind*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:55:52 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18399 on: October 19, 2018, 07:11:47 pm »
    I just noticed:

I barely got in under the wire for this service manual on my 3478A; only ~ 2000 units above the cutoff where you have to play the "Which revision is THIS ONE?" game.  :phew:

mnem
*Thanks Ifni for small favors*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf