Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549775 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #18500 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:01 pm »
Random question - is it worth buying something TEA related if it's worthless, mostly useless, really quite shit and broken for £25 but just because you couldn't afford one when you were a kid and feel like there's a hole?

Of course!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18501 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
Random question - is it worth buying something TEA related if it's worthless, mostly useless, really quite shit and broken for £25 but just because you couldn't afford one when you were a kid and feel like there's a hole?
Simple answer is, if it makes you feel good and fulfilled then why the hell not go for it, either way, if it turns out to be really good or shit, you have gotten it out of your system. You will never know for sure unless you do it.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18502 on: October 20, 2018, 09:45:14 pm »
I always felt that way about the Tek 7854, but I was able to resist this beast. Ok, if someone offered me one for 25.- and I see no bullet holes, maybe not? Another example is the HP95LX, which I did really want back then. Nowadays useless, I might still grab one.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18503 on: October 20, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »
This is considerably worse than an HP95LX or Tek 7854 :)

I stared at it for 30 minutes and I am literally not sure I can be arsed if I'm honest with this one... over to anyone else if they want it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253938359189

(yes 2.5 whole digits)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18504 on: October 20, 2018, 09:55:22 pm »

I stared at it for 30 minutes and I am literally not sure I can be arsed if I'm honest with this one... over to anyone else if they want it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253938359189

(yes 2.5 whole digits)
Ow, you might run into a problem with this. If you are among those, which have arranged their DMMs by number of digits, it would be all on top alone!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18505 on: October 20, 2018, 09:56:39 pm »
Yes indeed. It's basically the shittest DMM ever  :-DD

However it is entirely implemented in discrete logic and analogue circuits so might be interesting to reverse engineer and understand.

But it's £25 which is a lot for a stinker like that to be honest. If it was £5 I'd pick it up instantly.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18506 on: October 20, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »

However it is entirely implemented in discrete logic and analogue circuits so might be interesting to reverse engineer and understand.

But it's £25 which is a lot for a stinker like that to be honest. If it was £5 I'd pick it up instantly.
Yeah, I think I'd keep clear of it TBH, if it was a 3.5 digit then it might worth it if the price was right but we have had better buys at that price point and that 2.5 digit display is going to be a PITA to get with.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18507 on: October 20, 2018, 10:49:28 pm »
Another example is the HP95LX, which I did really want back then. Nowadays useless, I might still grab one.

i still have one, in its box. It worked the last time I fired it up a few years ago.

There's a later variant, the Omnigo 700lx, which is essentially a "hillbilly smartphone": it has a strangely moulded case into which a a Nokia 2110 GSM can be inserted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_OmniGo_700LX#HP_OmniGo_700LX
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #18508 on: October 21, 2018, 12:25:54 am »
Don't you hate it when you're watching two listings for Tek 2465B, forget that they're ending while you're doing other stuff, and find out too late that they went for $130 each? |O
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #18509 on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:50 am »

That is quite possibly the single most truly, honestly TEA reason I can think of...  :-DD

*Says the man who happily dropped US$130 on a battery-acid-corroded Fluke 189, mostly to fill a yellow hole*  :-DMM

That's the price of dinner with the kids at the drive-thru... It's a Heathkit. It is a piece of history, and it is unloved and unwanted.  Is there any more reason needed?  :bullshit:

Take it home and give it a place of honor in your museum.  :-+

mnem
*Shameless*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18510 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:17 am »
Don't you hate it when you're watching two listings for Tek 2465B, forget that they're ending while you're doing other stuff, and find out too late that they went for $130 each? |O
I had rarer things go that way - please don't remind me!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18511 on: October 21, 2018, 02:15:10 am »
Misery loves company... ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #18512 on: October 21, 2018, 03:20:50 am »

gixen.com is your friend.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18513 on: October 21, 2018, 03:30:10 am »

mnem

Friends don't let friends snipe.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18514 on: October 21, 2018, 04:01:09 am »
They do it themselves. :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18515 on: October 21, 2018, 06:55:10 am »

(yes 2.5 whole digits)

Oh hell, that ain't old. Meet it's older cousin. Don't let the “Bell & Howell Schools” fool you. It's 100% Heathkit. About the only thing that keeps it out of the dumpster is the Nixies. Other than that it ain't good for nuthin except for a display. But it does work and is somewhat accurate.

Some senior citizen pron unretouched and in full color. I warn you....what has been seen can't be unseen. View at your own risk.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18516 on: October 21, 2018, 07:20:37 am »

(yes 2.5 whole digits)

Oh hell, that ain't old. Meet it's older cousin. Don't let the “Bell & Howell Schools” fool you. It's 100% Heathkit. About the only thing that keeps it out of the dumpster is the Nixies. Other than that it ain't good for nuthin except for a display. But it does work and is somewhat accurate.

That really is at the top of the list of (as the time has gone over them) useless DMMS!   >:D
But never say never... am wondering if there ever was a DMM with just one digit..    :popcorn:

Thanks for showing!

URI
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18517 on: October 21, 2018, 07:22:41 am »

Don't remember me..   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18518 on: October 21, 2018, 07:51:12 am »
BTW:
Ordered a used but original DSOXLAN LAN-extension for the DSOX3034A after starting to explore the DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ? -Thread...

The DSOXLAN has left the island of the £ at 00:08 last night.   :)

It's €213,- new excluding shipping at RS, distrelec and all the others. For €173,- including shipping it's not a huge bargain really but I thought this is a good price for a piece of Equipment that's virtually unbreakable.
Yes I know, there are clones around for ~€50,-...  -had to go for for the original part*.   :palm:

*- I think that's also part of TEA. ESD, BNP and CAA** involved.
**- CAA: Costly Accessory Addiction
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:02:34 am by URI »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #18519 on: October 21, 2018, 08:20:17 am »
But never say never... am wondering if there ever was a DMM with just one digit..    :popcorn:

Thanks for showing!

URI

sorry, I found only a 2 1/2 (Ungenaumeter). The counting is all in all 199
It displays 230Volts in the 1000V Range as "23" +- 1 Digit.

1 Digit Instrument would be interesting , this will display the 230V as "2" +- 1 Digit  :)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:22:58 am by Martin.M »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #18520 on: October 21, 2018, 08:21:42 am »

Do you seriously need to ask this question to this lot here?!?  The answer should come as no surprise, as it I is the normal answer to "should I buy this TEA thing?".  The answer is, of course, hell yeah!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18521 on: October 21, 2018, 08:27:27 am »

mnem

Only if you are prepared to drop a lot of wonga to get the item. Lately it has not been my friend at all, I missed out on a nice Fluke 189 recently, it was among a load of other 189s that were attracting several bids early, but this one, not a single bid!

Me being a cheapskate put a not so insignificant sum on it via Gixen and left it alone. I later get message telling me that I lost the meter because the price was more than my maximum bid. It went for £113 and I bid £100 grrr, but I'm meant to be having a cull of my meters but somehow they keeping growing in numbers[emoji44]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18522 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:15 am »

Erm, what's the question? You know in which thread you're posting?  :-DD

Can't wait for the pictures to show it in all its glory! (Whatever it is!)

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18523 on: October 21, 2018, 09:40:25 am »

The only thing that's missing are schematics for the A version, 5334B's are readily available (the user's manual covers both, A and B).
As long as it works, there's no real need, however.

Oh, and it actually has its original feet!
That is indeed a decent counter. As opposed to mine, even with grips!
One guy at a company where I was once, who was yet unaware of my TEA, was praising the 5328 beyond it's merits. He was  astonished when I told him that the successor (the 5335) is a nicer instrument and that I have it. Maybe he thought that someone who states that he keeps a lab at home has to be content with Heathkit or ELV.

But if you find that manual somewhere, please let me know - same situation here! (Applies reciprocally, of course) If you would like to exchange those pesky feet and grips for a set of rack mounting brackets, I would be able to help, too.

Nice try with those feet! No, Sir, I do not have a rack to strap it in. Could have had one for free (an old server rack with glass door, a nice one), but there's absolutely no space I could have put it in.

I'll keep that schematics in mind.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18524 on: October 21, 2018, 09:46:30 am »

Erm, what's the question? You know in which thread you're posting?  :-DD

Can't wait for the pictures to show it in all its glory! (Whatever it is!)
Go back a page or 2.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf