Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550827 times)

cf4044, Vince, TSCOLAN and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21275 on: December 16, 2018, 04:27:12 am »
Yeah they'll cackle like that for hours.....announcing it's their territory and 'I'm here' girls !

As far as I'm concerned it's a great noise to indicate just which tree they're in......BANG !  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21276 on: December 16, 2018, 04:47:18 am »
Yeah they'll cackle like that for hours.....announcing it's their territory and 'I'm here' girls !

As far as I'm concerned it's a great noise to indicate just which tree they're in......BANG !  ;D

It sounds like farting into a tin can. I'd definitely be out there with a rifle and put them out of their misery.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #21277 on: December 16, 2018, 04:49:01 am »
Just found this from Fry's in my inbox...

https://images.frys.com/art/email/121618_sun078tsg/sun_web.html?promocode=3131991

Sunuvacrap... even if it is a "refurb".

Yeah, I don't care if you use my promocode.  ::)

mnem
"Look away!!!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21278 on: December 16, 2018, 04:57:59 am »

It sounds like farting into a tin can. I'd definitely be out there with a rifle and put them out of their misery.  >:D

Maaan... I'm sure WE never did anything that obnoxious and stupid when WE were young and shakin' it to make it. ::)

Glad I didn't have YOU around to make sure I "learn't muh lessun"...

mnem
*Not the first to lose my wits over a well-swung tail*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21279 on: December 16, 2018, 05:01:21 am »
I remember seeing an installation where they had six 42" plasma screens in the one room - when they were $17,000 a pop.

Large panel TVs are crazy cheap these days ... but you do get what you pay for.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21280 on: December 16, 2018, 05:08:49 am »
Yeah, but that's a name-brand 65" in 4K flavor. For that, it's still wicked cheap, even as a refurb.

mnem
*Wondering what my flight sims would look like in 4K*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21281 on: December 16, 2018, 05:16:24 am »

Maaan... I'm sure WE never did anything that obnoxious and stupid when WE were young and shakin' it to make it. ::)

Glad I didn't have YOU around to make sure I "learn't muh lessun"...

mnem
*Not the first to lose my wits over a well-swung tail*

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.  :-DD :-DD 8)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21282 on: December 16, 2018, 05:18:12 am »
Depending on viewing angles and distances 4K is overrated  :o Ducks for cover from the trendy humans  :-DD

As a video capture standard it allows lossless video zoom or follow in post if you are outputting at say 1080P which is great for say Drone footage (when I get a better PC to actually handle the data) but otherwise our eyes really don't make use of it without getting started on the new 8k fad.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21283 on: December 16, 2018, 05:18:27 am »
Yeah, but that's a name-brand 65" in 4K flavor. For that, it's still wicked cheap, even as a refurb.

mnem
*Wondering what my flight sims would look like in 4K*

Refurb'ed by Moe, Larry, and Curly. Inspected by Shemp.  :-BROKE ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21284 on: December 16, 2018, 05:21:33 am »

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.  :-DD :-DD 8)

I will remain silent about my ex the quiet Church going Pom .................. Oops may have just revealed why I might take the mickey out of Pom's so often  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21285 on: December 16, 2018, 05:57:45 am »
So what you're saying essentially is... "Shoot 'em all, God will know his own"...?  :-DD

mnem
*Toddling off at midnight for a little Christmas shopping*

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21286 on: December 16, 2018, 06:24:48 am »
So I purchased a Possum neural simulator today just need to sort out a conveyance method to get the message through their furry hide and rubbery paws now  >:D

Then there is the larger issue, I don't have any test gear capable of measuring the output  :palm:

Mine's bigger than yours  :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21287 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:30 am »
It's not the size that counts it's how you use it  :-DD

So what you're saying essentially is... "Shoot 'em all, God will know his own"...?  :-DD

mnem

I wonder did he mean Possums, Poms or Pommie Exs  >:D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21288 on: December 16, 2018, 06:31:31 am »
It's not the size that counts it's how you use it  :-DD

mnem

I wonder did he mean Possums, Poms or Pommie Exs  >:D
Maybe all three.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21289 on: December 16, 2018, 07:14:40 am »
Hear, hear. Do love me a guac, now I've had some actually made fresh.

Here we have Wholly Guacamole; it's a pretty fair recipe made local and fresh with nothing but Haas avocados, some seasoning, and a little vinegar. Then they vacuum-seal it in a tub, typically with a 2 or 3 week due date (properly refrigerated, of course). I can get my fix hassle-free just by popping the skin off the tub.

It's one of the few really good food things made possible by modern processing methods.  No idea how far abroad they ship the stuff, though.

mnem

I guess I'm really spoiled by fresh-made guac - I tried Wholly Guacamole and according to the label it's just mashed avocado.  No flavor to it at all, unless you add a little cilantro, tomatoes and lime.  By which time it's just as easy to make the whole thing from scratch...   :D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21290 on: December 16, 2018, 07:24:17 am »

I guess I'm really spoiled by fresh-made guac - I tried Wholly Guacamole and according to the label it's just mashed avocado.  No flavor to it at all, unless you add a little cilantro, tomatoes and lime.  By which time it's just as easy to make the whole thing from scratch...   :D

Starting some controversy now adding Tomatoes and yes you may add 'Coriander' but only fresh never dried

Personally I would rather have my Tomatoes as a Salsa as well as the Guacamole.

Also I have handed my Man Card in Pink Gin for this evenings tipple of choice  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:41:36 am by beanflying »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21291 on: December 16, 2018, 08:22:11 am »
Do not like guac, just love fresh nicely ripe avocado, and lucky for me they grow freely here, and are available all year round, in a few varieties. Haas and the massive butterpears, you just have to wait for them to get ripe and tuck in.  To ripen wrap in newspaper with a banana peel, in a dark spot, gets them ripe fast. of course, Have to compete with the local wildlife to get them off the tree, monkeys also like them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21292 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:23 am »
Hear, hear. Do love me a guac, now I've had some actually made fresh.

Here we have Wholly Guacamole; it's a pretty fair recipe made local and fresh with nothing but Haas avocados, some seasoning, and a little vinegar. Then they vacuum-seal it in a tub, typically with a 2 or 3 week due date (properly refrigerated, of course). I can get my fix hassle-free just by popping the skin off the tub.

It's one of the few really good food things made possible by modern processing methods.  No idea how far abroad they ship the stuff, though.

mnem

No, it's seasoned. It's just not seasoned "Authentic Mexican" style.  ::)
Ingredients:
HASS AVOCADO, VINEGAR, JALAPENO PEPPER, DEHYDRATED ONION, SALT, GRANULATED GARLIC.

They have 3 recipes; MILD, MEDIUM & SPICY. The spicy will get your attention, but it's no Sriracha, thank Ifni.

Cilantro is the spice of the devil; I and my family are of the lucky few for whom it tastes like soap. It's a real thing, it's genetic, and as you might imagine, dining around Tejas is like walking a fucking minefield every time you go out to eat. You never know WHAT serving on any plate might be contaminated with the shit.  :palm:

As I've said repeatedly; it's not that I don't PREFER fresh-made, it's that about half the time I just can't be arsed to do it. The WG packets are a good second choice; as good as some folks' "fresh-made" recipe. I've had a LOT of supposedly "made right" guac that outright blows. Even right here in Tejas. |O

mnem
 :horse:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21293 on: December 16, 2018, 09:59:54 am »
My Irish genetics preclude me from eating real spicy food. I see no need for it and frankly I don't like it. A mild kick is ok but when you get to the point where it burns your palate or makes you break out into a sweat I draw the line. And one particular spice...curry...I absolutely can't stand, even the smell of it. You'll never see me in an Indian restaurant. Don't even like walking past one outside. I can smell the curry. And unfortunately since it's a favorite of many Indian folks they smell of it too. Just like when you eat garlic...which I will eat in small amounts.

But I don't consider myself a "picky" or "fussy" eater. I'll try most anything at least once. This is a fussy eater....

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:01:57 am by med6753 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21294 on: December 16, 2018, 10:36:33 am »
Nothing n the Genes I am afraid. I am over 50% Irish stock plus a chunk of Scottish, a spot of Welsh and the remaining chunk Lincolnshire Pom. Love my spice and heat to the sensible point of nasal drippage and a single bead of sweat but not the macho point of eye watering, gasping full sweat and next day squirts ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21295 on: December 16, 2018, 10:54:55 am »
Crawl back in here this morning motivated with TEA fixing ambitions and it has turned to curry squirts. I won a bet once by drinking a whole bottle of Frank’s Xtra red hot sauce. Can’t get enough of hot things  :-DD

Drives done finally so on to something on topic today. Going to concentrate on the 465 today. Objectives are:

1. Replace the missing button surrounds
2. See if I can fix attenuators again (think this is that short come back)
3. Replace the graticule illumination bulbs.

Still trying to find some rub on lettering to replace the button legends on that. Stupid decision by tek using water slide transfers on those scopes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21296 on: December 16, 2018, 11:01:14 am »
@Bean, There really is wealth of difference between 1080P and 4K, believe me, I can tell if a program is in full HD or 4K without looking it up, its almost as clear as walking out of the opticians with a newer pair of glasses on, you begin to see much more detail in things then you ever did before and the colours are so much more vibrant as well.

If your using as a comparison the output of a so called 4K drone camera and a 1080P drone camera as opposed to a full and proper TV broadcast quality 4K camera then they are like chalk and cheese. I have a 4K GoPro clone and while the output of that is good it most certainly is not as good as 1080P TV broadcast camera,

Hell, I even have a well known brand name 1080P dashcam and to me the output of that is certainly not 1080P or even 720P, probably on a par with a normal TV camera and is certainly far sharper with full sunshine.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21297 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:09 am »
Indeed 4K is definitely noticeably better. I have my eye on a new 4K TV at the moment. High DPI displays are up there with SSDs as life improving.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21298 on: December 16, 2018, 11:09:49 am »
@Bean, There really is wealth of difference between 1080P and 4K, believe me, I can tell if a program is in full HD or 4K without looking it up, its almost as clear as walking out of the opticians with a newer pair of glasses on, you begin to see much more detail in things then you ever did before and the colours are so much more vibrant as well.

If your using as a comparison the output of a so called 4K drone camera and a 1080P drone camera as opposed to a full and proper TV broadcast quality 4K camera then they are like chalk and cheese. I have a 4K GoPro clone and while the output of that is good it most certainly is not as good as 1080P TV broadcast camera,

Hell, I even have a well known brand name 1080P dashcam and to me the output of that is certainly not 1080P or even 720P, probably on a par with a normal TV camera and is certainly far sharper with full sunshine.

Note our max resolution for digital TV is 1080i and most of us don't currently run Cable in the US or UK sense.

Was trying to draw some distinction between (separate) 4K visual rather than include cameras I guess, so much more to shooting good video than absolute resolution as you mention. 4K screens I haven't been that impressed with so far and I consider them wank value at this point in time and in a lot of settings just don't work.

Note our max resolution for digital TV is 1080i and most of us don't currently run Cable in the US or UK sense.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:19:01 am by beanflying »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21299 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:11 am »

Was trying to draw some distinction between (separate) 4K visual rather than include cameras I guess, so much more to shooting good video than absolute resolution as you mention. 4K screens I haven't been that impressed with so far and I consider them wank value at this point in time and in a lot of settings just don't work.
Of course thats perfectly true, a 4K screen will not make anything that is not filmed in 4K look any different, its like Hi-Fi, you will only get good high quality sound out if you put good sound quality in, in the first place.

I remember when colour TV was first launched, my Dad not would entertain having colour TV, claimed it was not natural, black and white was perfect, hmm I wonder if he was colour blind, how the feck can colour not be natural, the world is full of colour, natural colour or have those bastard gremlins been out again with their blasted tins of paint to fool us?  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf