Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823422 times)

mnementh and 157 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21350 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:15 am »
Here's a comparison of sine wave / square wave capability from a new(ish) Rigol DG1032Z (top) and the 22 year old hp 8904A (bottom). The 8904A can produce sine waves up to 600 kHz and square waves at a max freq. of 50 kHz, so that's what, respectively, the Rigol is set to.

A comparison of sine (600 kHz) and square waves (50 kHz) is attached (Rigol top, 8904A bottom).

It's not a fair challenge regarding square waves - not only is the rise time of the 8904A much slower, it has some jitter which is an artifact of the design - fully explained in the manual on page 3-39, which states the jitter is 600 nS, this value is clearly visible on trace 2. This jitter would be only be associated with ramp, triangle, and square waves, but not on sine waves, which can be generated up to 600 kHz.

If you get one, check out the Agilent waveform catalog below. It has channel setups to produce all kinds of waveforms. I set up a few of their examples:

No. 23 Intermodulation test Signal
No. 62 TTL Level Noise Pulses
No. 64 Trigger Test Signal

(see pics)

8904A Waveform Catalog
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21351 on: December 17, 2018, 01:07:23 am »
This all started so I could keep my audio stuff maintained and - you know - actually listen to music instead of putter around in the lab.   :-DD

You mean actually use the gear you have built or repaired?  ???

What a concept LOL.  ???

Actual use of stuff here I was thinking it was just about collecting it and saving it from the worlds dumpsters then repairing, cleaning, polishing and dusting and admiring the stack and deciding where you could fit another bit Test Gear in  .....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21352 on: December 17, 2018, 01:54:50 am »
I too also repair audio gear and use some of as well as selling it on again once repaired. Sod my fist mini hi fi unit last week and now the buyer is returning it claiming it does not work  :wtf: I had it sitting on my bench for about 12 days in use on a variety of inputs for about 10 to 12 hours a day without a hitch, buyer sets it up and claims no sound from speakers or headphone socket  :-//

When I receive it I'm going to set my video camera up and record the unpacking and connecting it up and test of it. If it works ok for me, I'll send him a copy of the bloody video and see what he has to say about it?

It was well packed as is everything I sell on eBay and it was received in good condition and he claims that there is no evidence of damage to box and I packed it polystyrene angle pieces in the 4 corners of the box so it should be well protected.  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21353 on: December 17, 2018, 02:12:21 am »
Actual use of stuff here I was thinking it was just about collecting it and saving it from the worlds dumpsters then repairing, cleaning, polishing and dusting and admiring the stack and deciding where you could fit another bit Test Gear in  .....

Oh I (we) do actually use the TEA we get. It's great test equipment AND saved from the land fill.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21354 on: December 17, 2018, 02:12:47 am »
This all started so I could keep my audio stuff maintained and - you know - actually listen to music instead of putter around in the lab.   :-DD

You mean actually use the gear you have built or repaired?  ???

What a concept LOL.  ???

Well, I admit I have the largest private collection of Dynaco stereo equipment that I know of... having met a few of the people who designed and built their audio hardware I have developed a fondness for the company's efficient and cost-effective design.  They used standard, easy to replace components and overdesigned the electronic part while not wasting money on the knobs and dials.  True, some of their gear looks a bit lowbrow today, but it's easy to keep running within spec and sounds just as good as the modern audiofool amplifiers (sometimes better).  What launched me on the latest path of acquisition was the rebuild of one of their 400 watt amplifiers.  I needed about 6 meters plus a scope to track the behavior of voltages, bias currents, and the like on one channel while bringing it up on a variac.  Made it much easier to see what was misbehaving and to keep it from frying due to some buried device sucking too much current.  Amusingly, the final issue with repairing that amp turned out to be a bad tantalum cap on the input which caused dramatic offset voltages at the output...   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #21355 on: December 17, 2018, 04:48:26 am »

mnem
"Cookies...? I ate 'em, dumbass. Evil overlord, bent on ruling the galaxy with an iron fist... any of that ring a bell?"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21356 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:23 am »
Yes, the bastard tants strike again. You can see why bd139 hates them so much on his scopes, it seems that everytime there is a sticky problem,  it's tants that cause them, exterminate them whenever you can.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21357 on: December 17, 2018, 08:26:25 am »
I love tants. Just not the old ones. New ones are cool. I have hundreds of them and use them in everything :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21358 on: December 17, 2018, 08:41:26 am »
I love tants. Just not the old ones. New ones are cool. I have hundreds of them and use them in everything :D
That's why besides being known as P**** Fingers, you're also the Tant Killer who loves to wilderize them into oblivion on old gear :D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21359 on: December 17, 2018, 08:50:11 am »
Indeed. Talking of which I may blow some up this week on camera. iPhone can do 240fps so could be interesting.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21360 on: December 17, 2018, 09:00:40 am »
Haha anything for a bit of pyrotechnics eh, it's the right season. Remember how years ago you could buy Christmas indoor fireworks that you used to set off on a dinner plate?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21361 on: December 17, 2018, 09:05:24 am »
Yeah I remember them. They were much better when you were drunk. "oh look the black pill is turning into an unhealthy turd" and "it smells like Bhopal in here"  :-DD

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21362 on: December 17, 2018, 09:20:19 am »
I too also repair audio gear and use some of as well as selling it on again once repaired. Sod my fist mini hi fi unit last week and now the buyer is returning it claiming it does not work  :wtf: I had it sitting on my bench for about 12 days in use on a variety of inputs for about 10 to 12 hours a day without a hitch, buyer sets it up and claims no sound from speakers or headphone socket  :-//

When I receive it I'm going to set my video camera up and record the unpacking and connecting it up and test of it. If it works ok for me, I'll send him a copy of the bloody video and see what he has to say about it?

It was well packed as is everything I sell on eBay and it was received in good condition and he claims that there is no evidence of damage to box and I packed it polystyrene angle pieces in the 4 corners of the box so it should be well protected.  :-//

Recording the unpacking and then the power up is a good idea. I don't know how high end it is but you have to watch out for people nicking bits from things or breaking the item in use then sending them back as broken and expect you to cop the loss.
I had 1 clown do that with an iPhone I sold. They signed for it as received in good order then around 4 days or something later said it was damaged when they received it when it was all well packed etc.
Some people are just chancers. Your right to be cautious.
Hope you get it sorted out ok.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21363 on: December 17, 2018, 09:24:20 am »
Mmmm and no I haven't brought it but it does have a certain Utilitarian thing going on and then their is the Nixieness  8)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21364 on: December 17, 2018, 09:29:36 am »

Recording the unpacking and then the power up is a good idea. I don't know how high end it is but you have to watch out for people nicking bits from things or breaking the item in use then sending them back as broken and expect you to cop the loss.
I had 1 clown do that with an iPhone I sold. They signed for it as received in good order then around 4 days or something later said it was damaged when they received it when it was all well packed etc.
Some people are just chancers. Your right to be cautious.
Hope you get it sorted out ok.

eBay usually side with the buyer on this crap. You can use this to your advantage for punitive treatment of the seller...

One of the guys I was working with earlier this year bought a Thinkpad T450 which was shown as working and booted but just required a disk. When he got it, it had no RAM in it and the seller said that the guy had stolen the stick of RAM in it. So in pure fuck you mode, he RMA'd it via Paypal and send the wanker back an empty box and eBay closed it and refunded it the moment the tracking was marked as delivered  :-DD

Mmmm and no I haven't brought it but it does have a certain Utilitarian thing going on and then their is the Nixieness  8)

It's quite scary to see nixies on the 1980 date code. You can see how far behind the soviets were as literally everything had LEDs by 1980. I don't actually remember seeing a single nixie tube myself until I tripped over an old HP counter in the university labs in the early 1990s.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #21365 on: December 17, 2018, 09:41:49 am »
It's quite scary to see nixies on the 1980 date code. You can see how far behind the soviets were as literally everything had LEDs by 1980. I don't actually remember seeing a single nixie tube myself until I tripped over an old HP counter in the university labs in the early 1990s.

Pah. Modern stuff.

Must get myself some dekatrons.

Or build something similar using the neons in my collection (plus resistors and diodes).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21366 on: December 17, 2018, 09:49:23 am »
That was an interesting way to spend an hour trawling evilbay.de Brands we don't see much if at all oddballs and even what I reckon was some good buys even a couple of mythical sub $50USD 4W bench multimeters  :palm:

For the Tektronix fanboys I haven't seen this one before and not sure if it a rebadge maybe? 175 Euro seemed a little OTT anyway.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21367 on: December 17, 2018, 12:20:59 pm »
Well what a day for incompetent delivery monkeys ruining my TEA fun this week...

Firstly Royal Mail are charging me for my Tektronix 2235 multiplier. But I don't know how much because the stupid muppets didn't deliver the fee card this morning :palm:

Secondly Parcel Force sorted my package from RS containing a 10 turn pot to finish a project off to the wrong fucking depot. Hint: I live MILES away from Aldershot:

:palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21368 on: December 17, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »
Ahh Christmas Freight a thing of joy for all  :horse:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21369 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
Well what a day for incompetent delivery monkeys ruining my TEA fun this week...

Firstly Royal Mail are charging me for my Tektronix 2235 multiplier. But I don't know how much because the stupid muppets didn't deliver the fee card this morning :palm:

Secondly Parcel Force sorted my package from RS containing a 10 turn pot to finish a project off to the wrong fucking depot. Hint: I live MILES away from Aldershot:

:palm:

15 hours ago you wrote https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2044822/#msg2044822

It is good to see people resolve their own observations  >:D
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21370 on: December 17, 2018, 01:52:10 pm »
You were waiting to post that weren't you :-DD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21371 on: December 17, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »
Everytime I jump in the metrology section I feel like I am an idot and I understand only 30-40% of it.
Please tell me I am not alone...  :horse:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:15:45 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21372 on: December 17, 2018, 02:08:31 pm »

No, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Sometimes I simply can't resist tweaking people's tails :) I know I ought to try and break the habit, but nowadays I have to get pleasure wherever I can find it. Can I change my moniker to Victor Meldrew (or Wally)?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21373 on: December 17, 2018, 02:13:20 pm »
Everytime I jump in the metrology section I feel like I am an idot and I undesrtand only 30-40% of it.
Please tell me I am not alone...  :horse:

You are not alone.  Perhaps 99% of the time though, that doesn't matter unless you are going to live forever :)

No, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Sometimes I simply can't resist tweaking people's tails :) I know I ought to try and break the habit, but nowadays I have to get pleasure wherever I can find it. Can I change my moniker to Victor Meldrew (or Wally)?

Yes I'll give you your due, the timing was just about perfect :)

Meldrew for sure

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21374 on: December 17, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »
I noticed eBay has entirely dried up for Christmas now. There's literally bugger all of interest there that is test gear related. You'd think everyone would be selling it now to try and get some extra cash in for Christmas but nope, dead! :(

To be less Victor Meldrew-ish and more TEA oriented...

... plus others listed at https://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf