Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562166 times)

Wolfgang, Mortymore and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21375 on: December 17, 2018, 02:52:16 pm »
Ahha! Thanks for this. I was waiting for Kempton to be announced  :-+

Harwell ARS one is only 50 miles from me so probably worth it for a day out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #21376 on: December 17, 2018, 04:13:00 pm »
Wellp, it's a gewd thing I'm noo-where near ya then, beein' as I'm sitting on a wallet full o' money I'm a-spoda be spendin' on Chrizz-muss prezzies fur the wee beastiezz.   

:-DD :-DD :-DD

I too also repair audio gear and use some of as well as selling it on again once repaired. Sod my fist mini hi fi unit last week and now the buyer is returning it claiming it does not work  :wtf: I had it sitting on my bench for about 12 days in use on a variety of inputs for about 10 to 12 hours a day without a hitch, buyer sets it up and claims no sound from speakers or headphone socket  :-//

When I receive it I'm going to set my video camera up and record the unpacking and connecting it up and test of it. If it works ok for me, I'll send him a copy of the bloody video and see what he has to say about it?

It was well packed as is everything I sell on eBay and it was received in good condition and he claims that there is no evidence of damage to box and I packed it polystyrene angle pieces in the 4 corners of the box so it should be well protected.  :-//

Recording the unpacking and then the power up is a good idea. I don't know how high end it is but you have to watch out for people nicking bits from things or breaking the item in use then sending them back as broken and expect you to cop the loss.
I had 1 clown do that with an iPhone I sold. They signed for it as received in good order then around 4 days or something later said it was damaged when they received it when it was all well packed etc.
Some people are just chancers. Your right to be cautious.
Hope you get it sorted out ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323596054956

Heh... let 'em TRY that on MY iPwn.  :-DD

mnem
1) Fuck with some poor sod on fleaBay
2) ? ? ?
3 PROFIT!!!
???
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21377 on: December 17, 2018, 04:22:49 pm »
That's an impressive amount of cash for something that buggered.

Dead humans are worth less than that unless they're really fresh.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21378 on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:04 pm »
   Mmmm and no I haven't brought it but it does have a certain Utilitarian thing going on and then their is the Nixieness  8)

Plus, it's Eco-friendly, as it is powered by 100% renewable-resource-derived 160-proof Vodka.   :-DD

Everytime I jump in the metrology section I feel like I am an idot and I undesrtand only 30-40% of it.
Please tell me I am not alone...  :horse:
You are not alone.  Perhaps 99% of the time though, that doesn't matter unless you are going to live forever :)

Damn, bd; just when I'm absolutely convinced you've lost your last marble... you casually toss off a little gem of absolute philosophical clarity like that one.   :clap:

mnem
dum vivimus, vivamus

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21379 on: December 17, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »
That's an impressive amount of cash for something that buggered.

Dead humans are worth less than that unless they're really fresh.

I know, right? I can't believe it myself. I'm not counting my shekels until the money's in my PP though. The ONLY thing I've ever had a deadbeat bidder on was an iPwn... and that one iPwn had THREE deadbeats in TWO different listings.   :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21380 on: December 17, 2018, 04:38:19 pm »
You were waiting to post that weren't you :-DD

No, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Sometimes I simply can't resist tweaking people's tails :) I know I ought to try and break the habit, but nowadays I have to get pleasure wherever I can find it. Can I change my moniker to Victor Meldrew (or Wally)?

Yes I'll give you your due, the timing was just about perfect :)

Meldrew for sure

HEYYYY!!! "Agitatin' " is MY gig!!! :-DD

Well, fine then... in the spirit of pure deviltry, I'll see your Meldrew and raise you a Dead Murpheh:  >:D

https://youtu.be/CL7n7SoM1XY

mnem
Fook 'em if theh cain't tekk a joo-k. Fook 'em if theh can as well. Jess' Fook 'em. ~ Great Gramma Edwards
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:18:11 pm by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #21381 on: December 17, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

It was a least as good as Kempton, if not better. Fewer new dealers, more car boot stuff, indoors with electricity. IIRC I picked up a sort-of-working 475 for £10.

I put it down to Harwell having more (interesting) physics-techies, whereas Kempton has more (uninteresting) fin-techies.

I ought to add that fin-techies that have an electro-techies sideline aren't "uninteresting" :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21382 on: December 17, 2018, 05:25:47 pm »
Jeebus... bad enough the MBAs have utterly commoditized Tech and pretty much anything that actually requires a brain just so they can beat us up on the price of prostituting our genius; now they're sniffing around our WOMEN (what few we have) TOO?

I'm getting my crowbar... gonna kneecap me a few accountants just on GP.  :-DD

mnem
Time to get William Wallace on their asses before there's nothing left for us nerds but the crumbs...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:36:04 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21383 on: December 17, 2018, 05:36:52 pm »

It was a least as good as Kempton, if not better. Fewer new dealers, more car boot stuff, indoors with electricity. IIRC I picked up a sort-of-working 475 for £10.

I put it down to Harwell having more (interesting) physics-techies, whereas Kempton has more (uninteresting) fin-techies.

I ought to add that fin-techies that have an electro-techies sideline aren't "uninteresting" :)

That sounds rather interesting. Booked into the calendar!

Kempton isn't too bad in that department as we have National Physics Laboratory [1] up the road too in Teddington which contains the officially sanctioned national time and volt nuts. However the population is muddied by the semi-religious technology yokels from the local amateur radio clubs and the other yokels that refused to be shipped off to new towns in the 1950s and 1960s.

Have to agree with most of the fintechies - either dull, weird or doing something illegal and nothing else. I'm weird and probably doing something illegal.

Damn, bd; just when I'm absolutely convinced you've lost your last marble... you casually toss off a little gem of absolute philosophical clarity like that one.   :clap:

Root cause analysis: if a stupid person (me) says enough words, one day they will say something profound :)

Jeebus... bad enough the MBAs have utterly commoditized Tech and pretty much anything that actually requires a brain just so they can beat us up on the price of prostituting our genius; now they're sniffing around our WOMEN (what few we have) TOO?

I'm getting my crowbar... gonna kneecap me a few accountants just on GP.

mnem
Time to get William Wallace on their asses before there's nothing left for us nerds but the crumbs...

If it's any consolation the MBAs and fintech people usually pay for their women from what I've seen (no joke - it's one sector full of properly fucked up people). There are a few "fringers" (like me) who don't have to because we weren't born into finance and thus don't value everything objectively with dollar signs like some Ferengi death cult.

Edit: to extrapolate. The fintech sector is roughly staffed with MBAs who did coding bootcamps, computer science and economics graduates without a conscience and ex engineers. The ex engineers like myself are admittedly screwing the sector hard because at the end of the day their original careers full of promise turned into political nightmares managed by incompetents so they all want to accumulate to escape ASAP and just log out of life and surround themselves with their own interests. This is counter to the other intent which is to acquire status through the purchase of expensive things like Teslas and watches that cost more than my car.

A quote from my father: A man suddenly with nothing has only the respect he earned before he had nothing. Lots of these people end up with nothing.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Physical_Laboratory_(United_Kingdom)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:54:14 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21384 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:21 pm »
Yeah, I don't believe you for a moment on the ∞ monkeys/∞ typwriters excuse. I think you're smarter than you let on, but just passin' until all your pieces come together. I think your comment a while back about writing a dirty little tell-all Dilbert-style was more personal manifesto than jest. ;)

But the reason I posted my comment about the MBAs being "after our women" is from reading (during a depth-first search, of course  ;D ) a while back that Fin-Tech is the fastest-growing sector for female nerds right now, due to the flex nature of employment and general personal autonomy still extant.

Once the MBA overlords have poisoned their minds with their "Golden Rule"; it's just one simple backslide step into that Ferengi Death cult, and then the bastards take US down with them.

mnem
"Never argue engage in any way with idiots. First they drag you down to their level, then they beat you up with experience." ~ ME. Just NOW.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:51:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21385 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:52 pm »
It would be the fastest growing sector for female nerds if they didn’t keep pissing them off with being wretched and sexist on one hand or playing gender politics on the other hand and nothing in between.

The same was with EE when I did it. There were two women on the course out of about 120 intake. I still know one of them (because I was the only one in control of my hormones at that age) and she makes candles and shoes now and hides away from the world after being thoroughly disgusted by the first couple of years of her employment.  Ironically and related to TEA her position was at Racal back before Thales took over.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21386 on: December 17, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Unfortunately, that is the sad part... as it was discussed: Wretched as it is, Fin-Tech is still the single fastest-growing sector for female nerds, because of how quickly it is possible for them to establish self-autonomy. It's disgusting that they have to battle through all that Ferengi brainwashing to get there... but many still see taking that risk of losing their souls as their only way to make a career on their own terms.

mnem
"In a land where money is God; the only real sin is being poor." ~ mom

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21387 on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:15 pm »
Hmmm... thinking on this... "Fastest-growing" in this wretched economy wouldn't take a lot. I wonder what the actual numbers here are? We're probably still talking numbers well outside the relevant part of the bell here.   :o

Of course, that notion just compounds the aggravation at them sniffing around our women...  :palm:

mnem
"The road less traveled... usually leads to a swamp of despair." ~ me

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21388 on: December 17, 2018, 07:12:08 pm »
I shall read it properly next time.  Was on tube train  :(. Totally agree although most autonomy comes from networking which is something that is difficult and full of cancerous personalities.

On the matter of fastest growing, this is only because there’s a nice bubble forming. I’ve ridden this wild bastard for a while now and will get off just before it pops. Everyone knows it’s coming. It’s mainly propped up at the moment by legislative changes requiring work rather than any innovation. The innovations so far were pretty awful for the customers and resulted in the legislation so ultimately it’s self destructive.

I have a hankering for a Tektronix 24xx scope at the moment. Not sure why. Specmaster - that might be your fault  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21389 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:26 pm »

That sounds rather interesting. Booked into the calendar!

There's bugger all else going on at that time of year, so why not!

Kempton isn't too bad in that department as we have National Physics Laboratory [1] up the road too in Teddington which contains the officially sanctioned national time and volt nuts. However the population is muddied by the semi-religious technology yokels from the local amateur radio clubs and the other yokels that refused to be shipped off to new towns in the 1950s and 1960s.

Someone I graduated with still works at the NPL; must write him a card tomorrow. The first house I remember living in was in Hampton, but I haven't been to the NPL since I was a schoolkid and KDF9's were being used.

My town has 4 ARCs, and at least one has a Professor of RF Comms as a member.

If it's any consolation the MBAs and fintech people usually pay for their women from what I've seen (no joke - it's one sector full of properly fucked up people). There are a few "fringers" (like me) who don't have to because we weren't born into finance and thus don't value everything objectively with dollar signs like some Ferengi death cult.

One possible explanation is that the MBAs take to heart the aphorism that "if it floats, flies or f**ks, it is cheaper to rent than buy".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21390 on: December 17, 2018, 07:16:24 pm »
I have a hankering for a Tektronix 24xx scope at the moment. Not sure why.

Because they actually are nice to use. As you know, they do what they say on the tin, without surprises.

Must offload a 2445B and a 2465, still leaving me with one 2465. But you are too cheap to want to pay for recapped working 24x5 s :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21391 on: December 17, 2018, 07:30:28 pm »
Someone I graduated with still works at the NPL; must write him a card tomorrow. The first house I remember living in was in Hampton, but I haven't been to the NPL since I was a schoolkid and KDF9's were being used.

I nearly bought a house in Hampton instead of this one a few years ago. Someone beat me to the offer by £10k  >:( ... kind of glad really. Prices have gone up a lot more here in the last few years :-DD

My town has 4 ARCs, and at least one has a Professor of RF Comms as a member.

I'd settle for a professor of tea making but they can't even manage that here :)

One possible explanation is that the MBAs take to heart the aphorism that "if it floats, flies or f**ks, it is cheaper to rent than buy".

A friend of mine owns a not too old Cessna 172 and rents it out. He's hoping someone will crash it and bust the air frame so he can claim the insurance on it because it's so damn expensive looking after it.

Same with boats: best two days (1) the day you get it (2) the day it catches fire and sinks.

Because they actually are nice to use. As you know, they do what they say on the tin, without surprises.

Must offload a 2445B and a 2465, still leaving me with one 2465. But you are too cheap to want to pay for recapped working 24x5 s :)

I must say I prefer a limping one that has some life in it. It's more fun :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:32:39 pm by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21392 on: December 17, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »

I must say I prefer a limping one that has some life in it. It's more fun :)

Thought I had you sussed :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21393 on: December 17, 2018, 07:47:05 pm »
You do indeed :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21394 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »
I shall read it properly next time.  Was on tube train  :(. Totally agree although most autonomy comes from networking which is something that is difficult and full of cancerous personalities.

On the matter of fastest growing, this is only because there’s a nice bubble forming.
I’ve ridden this wild bastard for a while now and will get off just before it pops. Everyone knows it’s coming. It’s mainly propped up at the moment by legislative changes requiring work rather than any innovation. The innovations so far were pretty awful for the customers and resulted in the legislation so ultimately it’s self destructive.

I have a hankering for a Tektronix 24xx scope at the moment. Not sure why. Specmaster - that might be your fault  :-DD

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, upon cogitatin' a bit after our earlier conversation.  :-+

I blame me, and my incessant proselytizing upon their singularly virtuous nature.  :-DD

You're welcome.  ;)

mnem
And so my 2465 army grows...   >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21395 on: December 17, 2018, 08:39:55 pm »

On the matter of fastest growing, this is only because there’s a nice bubble forming. I’ve ridden this wild bastard for a while now and will get off just before it pops. Everyone knows it’s coming. It’s mainly propped up at the moment by legislative changes requiring work rather than any innovation. The innovations so far were pretty awful for the customers and resulted in the legislation so ultimately it’s self destructive.

I'll take that, but not too sure why I'm the reason, seeing as the only tektronix I've ever had is a tds210[emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21396 on: December 17, 2018, 08:44:58 pm »
It was talking about those glorious Philips units. Then thoughts drifted to high end Teks with cursors :)

Edit: random whinge. USB-C still feels sooooo wrong:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:49:47 pm by bd139 »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21397 on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:38 pm »
Edit: random whinge. USB-C still feels sooooo wrong:

Still miles ahead of USB-A, USB-mini and USB-micro - which in addition to being poorly designed for mating without a clear view of the plug and jack, are also polarized (thereby further reducing the odds of successfully plugging them in by feel).  I do wish all the USB plugs were more sturdy, though.  They all feel like they're about to snap off, even when securely plugged in.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21398 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:51 pm »
USB was always more about the form factor and style over any ruggedness. Time to bring back the DB9 and fatten up those anemic devices to suit ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21399 on: December 17, 2018, 11:02:51 pm »
Still miles ahead of USB-A, USB-mini and USB-micro - which in addition to being poorly designed for mating without a clear view of the plug and jack, are also polarized (thereby further reducing the odds of successfully plugging them in by feel).  I do wish all the USB plugs were more sturdy, though.  They all feel like they're about to snap off, even when securely plugged in.

Yeah I'll give you that. It's weird having just two ports though, either of which can be the charger! USB-C plugs feel pretty robust so far. I'll see how long it takes me to knacker them :D

USB was always more about the form factor and style over any ruggedness. Time to bring back the DB9 and fatten up those anemic devices to suit ;D

I rather like the D connectors. I'm actually designing my transceiver to be bussed on a 15 pin D connector backplane. This has an SPI bus and power running over it. I can throw 3A down it easily. I'm never going to finish this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf