Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14574196 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21425 on: December 18, 2018, 08:56:56 am »
https://youtu.be/l5FqYiZb_5s

Yup... I do love me some crazy acro-heli action. That's where I started when I got back into RC; with TREX 450 & 500 clones.

But the difference is that with your monster beast, being starved for current for a few hundred milliseconds isn't even noticeable; you have inertia to carry you through. With a quad, it means falling out of the sky and tumbling across the ground when an ESC can't jump fast enough to make a correction.

mnem
*Filling up a DS Lite game card*

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:58:38 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21426 on: December 18, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
0.1 seconds @ 50km/hr is 1.4m he is lower and faster than that on some moves ;) Servos on mine are under 0.1 at about 7kg and they are old tech relatively and I am still running a flybar on mine.

Biggest issue as you mentioned earlier is more likely the Brain wigging out or lagging as much as anything so you want all the other latency you can to total nil or close to it.

I still remember watching a guy I know tell about the awesomeness of very early DSM technology right before the R/X he had just installed into his Carbon shelled Heli glitch and it had a 0.5 second reboot time (early Spectrum) while he was hovering at about 10m. It was fairly graceful as it rolled over into the ground  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21427 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:07 pm »
Going to be offline for a few days. Massive family mess. No one dead (yet). All projects on hold  :--

I will be back however do not fear.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21428 on: December 18, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »
bd139 hope you can solve the family issue quickly.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21429 on: December 18, 2018, 01:40:14 pm »
Well that was easy and painless. Recall the other day I mentioned that the space above the scope on the far end of the new bench needed something.  Like perhaps a monitor to view schematics or other documentation while working. Here it is, done. Didn't need another PC after all. This old monitor is VGA only. I thought my laptop had only an HDMI output. I was wrong. VGA too. So cabled it up and threw together that stand from scrap. I can even perform most functions right there with the wireless mouse.

If only all projects were this easy.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21430 on: December 18, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »
Going to be offline for a few days. Massive family mess. No one dead (yet). All projects on hold  :--

Yikes, sounds serious. Hope everything works out.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21431 on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:22 pm »

That’s what families are for buddy! Keep you on your toes! Hope you get everything sorted and it plays out ok for you.
If things get too much remember.... sometimes you’ve just got to wipe your nose on your sleeve, dust yourself down and go at it again..... sometimes more than once!

Hang tough!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21432 on: December 18, 2018, 04:24:48 pm »

Take care, my friend. I'll keep this place from burning down in your absence.  ;)

mnem
*Family*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21433 on: December 18, 2018, 04:34:58 pm »
   Well that was easy and painless. Recall the other day I mentioned that the space above the scope on the far end of the new bench needed something.  Like perhaps a monitor to view schematics or other documentation while working. Here it is, done. Didn't need another PC after all. This old monitor is VGA only. I thought my laptop had only an HDMI output. I was wrong. VGA too. So cabled it up and threw together that stand from scrap. I can even perform most functions right there with the wireless mouse.

If only all projects were this easy.  :-+

I meant to ask before... The enigmatic grey box with outlets and a Doomsday Machine switch on the front... is it a DUT box, or really something more sinister? >:D  And what about the similarly sinister-looking box to the left of it?

mnem
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:51:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21434 on: December 18, 2018, 04:48:04 pm »

Hope everything gets resolved quickly and amicably!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21435 on: December 18, 2018, 05:18:48 pm »

Oh dear, I do hope everything works out OK in the end and that everyone is fine. You can bet that if there is going to be an issue it generally happens about this time of year. God speed and we'll all wish you good luck. [emoji1696]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21436 on: December 18, 2018, 06:59:45 pm »

I meant to ask before... The enigmatic grey box with outlets and a Doomsday Machine switch on the front... is it a DUT box, or really something more sinister? >:D  And what about the similarly sinister-looking box to the left of it?

The box with the outlet is nothing more than a DUT box as you indicated. Ground fault outlet for safety. The smaller box is a home built voltage reference. 10.00VDC, 1.000VDC, 100.0mVDC, and 1.000VAC.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21437 on: December 18, 2018, 07:15:35 pm »
Mmmm! Tasty! I've always had a soft spot for "post-industrial eclectic" in my design. :-+

Your bench is much too civilized in general... need to get a little more "Doc Brown" on it's arse!  :-DD

mnem
If you can see the work surface, you're doing something wrong.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:20:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21438 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »
Mmmm! Tasty! I've always had a soft spot for "post-industrial eclectic" in my design. :-+

Your bench is much too civilized in general... need to get a little more "Doc Brown" on it's arse!  :-DD

mnem
If you can see the work surface, you're doing something wrong.  >:D

All projects were put on hold for the past few weeks while I did the rearrangement and renovations. And with Christmas coming things have been put pretty much on hold anyway. But next month things will get sullied up.  :-+ :-DMM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21439 on: December 18, 2018, 07:22:54 pm »
Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem
Who ELSE wants some...?!?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21440 on: December 18, 2018, 07:46:23 pm »
https://youtu.be/3qYbVQu7YAQ

eBay on my iPwn closed last night; for someone who was so excited to buy in the last seconds, they still have yet to pay. shocking.  ::)

Invoice sent. Here come the fun & games.  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21441 on: December 18, 2018, 08:11:01 pm »
Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem

Unlike yours my DUT box has no inrush limiting. Hit the switch and stand back. If there's gonna be magic smoke get it done and over with.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21442 on: December 18, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem

Unlike yours my DUT box has no inrush limiting. Hit the switch and stand back. If there's gonna be magic smoke get it done and over with.  :-DD

I prefer a more modular approach. Much more chance of seeing smoke or getting a tingle >:D

Now where are my stacked double adapters?

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21443 on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:44 am »
Take care, my friend. I'll keep this place from burning down in your absence.  ;)

mnem
*Family*

Er, Mnem, what are you doing with that box of matches in your hand?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21444 on: December 19, 2018, 12:06:18 am »

mnem
*Family*

I have seen photos of his jewelry box there was a lighter in there  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21445 on: December 19, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem
What the??? where is the variac, much more control over any magic smoke, bangs, tingles etc. As for that heath robinson connection to the DUT, the least said about it the better, tsk tsk I'm afraid that your lab is going to be shut down and a citation written up for you in view of the totally unsafe working practises, and if you had employees you'd be taken to court on health and safety issues tsk tsk. :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:31:50 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21446 on: December 19, 2018, 12:55:40 am »

mnem
*Family*
  I have seen photos of his jewelry box there was a lighter in there  :scared:

I'm an OLD dwagon... sometimes I need a jump-start.  :-[

Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem

What the??? where is the variac, much more control over any magic smoke, bangs, tingles etc. As for that Heath Robinson connection to the DUT, the least said about it the better, tsk tsk I'm afraid that your lab is going to be shut down and a citation written up for you in view of the totally unsafe working practices, and if you had employees you'd be taken to court on health and safety issues tsk tsk. :-DD :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1771292/#msg1771292

Right here. That pic is of me doing preliminary testing with multimeter.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1887599/#msg1887599
I was feeling brave, so I asked for people to talk me down from jumping to the next step with the dim bulb tester.  Of course, I didn't wait for answers. ;D

Hey! don't you be picking on my RCA Chopper Circuit Protector!!! That butt-ugly piece was designed around the need to be able to troubleshoot sets from 19" right up to 3-gun projection. By varying the size of the bulb and having a 2-stage tester, I was able to  (somewhat) safely troubleshoot all those horrible TVs that used the HOT as regulator for everything else. I sometimes got bit, but the magic smoke usually stayed where it belonged.  :-+

As for the questionable connection type... I keep the suicide cords locked away from questioning eyes. Unless those eyes are deemed to need the services of such a cable... That's where the Variac and the 2:1 power transformer REALLY come in handy. >:D

mnem
"Pretty is as pretty does." ~ Ted Basche
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:02:39 pm by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21447 on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:48 am »
Mmm Unexpected 'bonus' included in my evilbay purchase. Can Possums Read or do those humans within reach of the wires need to be told?  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21448 on: December 19, 2018, 08:09:20 am »
Well considering that there are dumb asses who will piss on an electric fence the signs are necessary.  :-*

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #21449 on: December 19, 2018, 08:09:58 am »
Mmm Unexpected 'bonus' included in my evilbay purchase. Can Possums Read or do those humans within reach of the wires need to be told?  >:D
Yep, here in NZ it's a legal requirement for public places, eg. roadsides, security fences.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf