Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551499 times)

shakalnokturn and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23200 on: January 21, 2019, 01:41:08 am »
Wow, thanks bean, that could be the answer to the problem. I'll look into that a in a bit more detail maybe tomorrow. I think that the probe is such a useful tool, going by Pauls video, it should reduce the time spent of some repairs as it will if used correctly, ensure that the correct faulty area is identified and thus by process of elimination lead me straight to the faulty part  :-+

So, what are the benefits of the Super Probe over a classic signal tracer? More sensitivity, smaller size, and battery operation?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23201 on: January 21, 2019, 03:23:48 am »
The benefits as far as I know are that normal signal tracers require a signal being injected into the DUT and then then "felt" by the probe, I say felt because they require contact to made with the circuit under test and re basically RF only.

The so called super probe and others like it, which all seem to be home brewed are non contact probes and have a switch to switch between the 2 modes, i.e., Audio frequency or Radio Frequency and don't always require a signal being injected. It can pick up the audio signal on anything that already has something going on like only 1 speaker is working etc and in RF mode, it is so sensitive that can pinpoint a noisy transistor or cap, resistor etc and it can detect if a oscillator.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23202 on: January 21, 2019, 04:03:13 am »
I want to build one of those too, but my current lab space really doesn't support all the PCB making operations, nor do I have room for SMD soldering equipment. Perhaps when I move and am able to grab more lab space.

I wouldn't be to put off by the SMD components to much 0805's are not to bad with a visor and a small tip. 0603's can be a bit of an issue on a tightly packed board but this one is fairly spread out and single sided from memory?

Curve Tracer I think I am building  :) http://www.paulvdiyblogs.net/2017/12/building-curve-tracer.html Lots of other good stuff on his blog too.  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23203 on: January 21, 2019, 04:49:30 am »

It appears to me from looking at the schematic, that there's no good reason it has to be so flupping wide. Should be easily possible to get the board down to 10-13mm wide even on perfboard, to fit inside more commonly available probe housings or construction materials. Or maybe inside a cheap clone 907, 936, or FX-9501 soldering iron handle, if you shield the board with copper tape.

Speaker/amp could easily be an old amplified PC speaker as others have shown; just build a decent linear or protected LiPo PSU for it and regulate its power with a TPS79101 or similar low-noise linear regulator to get clean power to feed the probe gain control.

mnem
Now how much would you pay?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:06:29 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23204 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:32 am »
That moment you are working on a suspect power supply on the bench and the power goes out to 2000 people. It wasnt me I promise  :palm: "back in three hours" or not  :--
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23205 on: January 21, 2019, 05:45:20 am »
Was that in reference to my linear power supply comment, pure random mode, or your "current" reality?  :-DD

mnem
*Ducks soggy ol' boot flying from bean's general direction*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23206 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:23 am »
*Hastily adds 'Larger generator' to his 'Moving to Toronto' shopping list*

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23207 on: January 21, 2019, 05:51:58 am »
Time for another UPS for the main bench and maybe another for the printers. Lost a bit of GPSDO data and a 3d print (small one luckily). 4.50pm beer is cold so not a total disaster  :popcorn:

Bench cleanup time. I do own a 6kVa inverter generator if needed.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23208 on: January 21, 2019, 06:32:14 am »
Yeah.... been wondering to myself if the UPS I have my Tornado plugged into might be contributing to the ghosting issues I've been having. It does make the LED lights plugged into the same power strip flicker noticeably. I need to try plugging into a different outlet altogether, with & without the UPS.

Point being... with the modulation noise from the SSR that controls the bed, I may need to plug into a ridiculously oversized UPS to be sure it doesn't affect the printer.

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23209 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:49 am »
I want to build one of those too, but my current lab space really doesn't support all the PCB making operations, nor do I have room for SMD soldering equipment. Perhaps when I move and am able to grab more lab space.

I wouldn't be to put off by the SMD components to much 0805's are not to bad with a visor and a small tip. 0603's can be a bit of an issue on a tightly packed board but this one is fairly spread out and single sided from memory?

Curve Tracer I think I am building  :) http://www.paulvdiyblogs.net/2017/12/building-curve-tracer.html Lots of other good stuff on his blog too.  :-+
It wasn't the SMDs that was concerning me that much, I have a reasonable microscope to assist there. Its the making of the PCB, I have zero knowledge of doing so or the materials, chemicals or space available to me.

@mnementh I hear what your saying, but would refer you to the answer above, plus the fact that it would be my first attempt at doing something using SMDs so rearranging everything to fit a board so small would a step to far to soon for me and would not get to the starting blocks I doubt. Computer speaker was what I had in mind with battery power.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23210 on: January 21, 2019, 08:25:53 am »
I don’t make PCBs any more for the same reasons. China do a good job for a fiver at average if you can wait :)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #23211 on: January 21, 2019, 08:42:19 am »
Yeah, no need to make boards at home, especially if, like me, you're not already set up for it. Inverted18650 makes stuff using EasyEDA (hosted by JLCPCB in China). I tried it when we were collaborating on the Keithley 228/228A quick disconnect board. It wasn't too bad getting the hang of it. The PCBs turned out nice, too.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23212 on: January 21, 2019, 08:44:56 am »
Yeah, no need to make boards at home, especially if, like me, you're not already set up for it. Inverted18650 makes stuff using EasyEDA (hosted by JLCPCB in China). I tried it when we were collaborating on the Keithley 228/228A quick disconnect board. It wasn't too bad getting the hang of it. The PCBs turned out nice, too.
Kicad works great too. It's not perfect, but what EDA is?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23213 on: January 21, 2019, 09:00:12 am »

It wasn't the SMDs that was concerning me that much, I have a reasonable microscope to assist there. Its the making of the PCB, I have zero knowledge of doing so or the materials, chemicals or space available to me.

@mnementh I hear what your saying, but would refer you to the answer above, plus the fact that it would be my first attempt at doing something using SMDs so rearranging everything to fit a board so small would a step to far to soon for me and would not get to the starting blocks I doubt. Computer speaker was what I had in mind with battery power.

I decided to chip in the $2 a month so I could watch Mr. Carlson's patreon videos and his toner transfer method looks very doable once I have some more space for things (a laser printer being among them). He uses ferric chloride to etch and lacquer thinner to clean up afterwards. Of course ferric chloride is not the only etchant you can use.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23214 on: January 21, 2019, 09:21:41 am »
Heat sealed Poly Polypropylene bag is about the least messy option and use bag clips on one end (Big Clive photo resist style). Still using the last of my Ferric chloride up then I have some magic (apparently) white Chinese powder to try, just don't call the cops to raid my shack  :o

Still for one offs for my own stuff I tend to use veroboard ugliness as it is quicker and generally gets the job done including with some SMD components.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23215 on: January 21, 2019, 10:05:59 am »
Heat sealed Poly Polypropylene bag is about the least messy option and use bag clips on one end (Big Clive photo resist style). Still using the last of my Ferric chloride up then I have some magic (apparently) white Chinese powder to try, just don't call the cops to raid my shack  :o

Still for one offs for my own stuff I tend to use veroboard ugliness as it is quicker and generally gets the job done including with some SMD components.

Funny white powders from China...nothing could possibly go wrong!  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23216 on: January 21, 2019, 11:43:11 am »
There is Gerber files for the PCB's for the SuperProbe so you could always get them made for you?

Not sure if these are Paul's originals and I didn't go looking but down the bottom https://www.instructables.com/id/Carlsons-Super-Probe/
I have down loaded the Gerber files, what program do I need to download in order to view / edit them if required?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23217 on: January 21, 2019, 11:53:10 am »
To take a look use the demo here https://gerber-viewer.easyeda.com/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23218 on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:41 pm »
Completed projects. Both the 190VDC reference and the 190mv, 1.9V, and 19V reference.

The updated and final schematic for the 190mv, 1.9V, 19V reference.

The next challenge: a stable 500VDC reference. Will start some design/build work this week.

Other news: The Fluke 8810A is on the UPS truck for delivery.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23219 on: January 21, 2019, 06:07:20 pm »
MMMMM... Juicy! Nice work med!  :-+

Also... just a reminder... DANGER!!! 500.000.000 VOLTS!!!   :-DD

Understood... I remember designing and assembling the LED backlight module for my Turnigy 9X RC radio... a PCB 3mm wide x 120mm long. All 0603 & 0402 components, hand-soldered.  |O If I ever find it or any of the pics I'll show ya. But I did this thumbwheel rotary encoder all on perfboard; and the main body of it is only 7-10mm wide.

I don’t make PCBs any more for the same reasons. China do a good job for a fiver at average if you can wait :)

Yup... and if you don't want to send your work over there to be stolen by every punk kid with a smartphone, or you just want it in days not weeks... OshPark still does good and quick for $10-15. Plus I love the purple PCBs. ;)  I did a quick search just now on OshPark's shared projects page... I couldn't find anything anybody had shared that looks like the probe. Afraid you'll have to use the files from that fellow's blog.

I decided to chip in the $2 a month so I could watch Mr. Carlson's patreon videos and his toner transfer method looks very doable once I have some more space for things (a laser printer being among them). He uses ferric chloride to etch and lacquer thinner to clean up afterwards. Of course ferric chloride is not the only etchant you can use.

I've done it... it's a complete PITA, and it's still the easiest way to DIY. That's why I just use OshPark. I can be 1-week-or-so patient to let someone else eat all that assache.  ;)

There is Gerber files for the PCB's for the SuperProbe so you could always get them made for you?

Not sure if these are Paul's originals and I didn't go looking but down the bottom https://www.instructables.com/id/Carlsons-Super-Probe/
I have down loaded the Gerber files, what program do I need to download in order to view / edit them if required?

KiCad and Eagle will both import Gerber files for viewing; modifying them is a complete PITA though. It's like trying to reverse engineer a gcode. Both programs have a free version. Hmmm... according to this discussion, it is possible now to convert Gerbers into a file you can work with in KiCad.

mnem
I can haz juice?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:38:42 pm by mnementh »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23220 on: January 21, 2019, 06:11:48 pm »
It's not at all hard and another handy thing to know how to do.
The only 2 big items are a laser printer and a laminator.
This thread has all the info and links within to get you started and on the right track to making good PCBs.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/toner-transfer/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23221 on: January 21, 2019, 06:18:33 pm »
As I just told Oculus... I've done it; it's a complete PITA: Vias are a joke as is 2-sided indexing in general, and it's still the easiest way to DIY. That's why I just use OshPark. I can be 1-week-or-so patient to let someone else eat all that assache.   :-+ :-+ :-+

mnem
Life's too short, man.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:24:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23222 on: January 21, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »
The Fluke 8810A showed up. Some issues:

The handle got broken in shipment. No biggie. Either fix with epoxy or take the handle off my 8800A parts unit.

The DCV/ACV/Ohms selector switch is jammed solid. Can only select DCV. Will attempt to fix or again, take it off the 8800A parts unit.

Has a last cal date of 2007. Currently reading high. +9.9975V vs +9.9969V reference. It's still freezing cold from being in the unheated UPS truck. Will leave it on for a few hours to warm up. I'm sure it will improve.

Downloaded a manual. I'm not sure how much different it is from the 8800A. Externally they look the same except for the color of the case.

Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it up, check the power supply, figure out what's up with the selector switch, etc.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:54:57 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, nixiefreqq

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23223 on: January 21, 2019, 07:00:01 pm »
Looks nice though, the handle will be fine glued, I had two HP3466A both of which also suffered from broken handles in transit, a few minutes spend on cleaning the broken bits and appling superglue soon fixed them, never had any problems with the handles after that whatsoever  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23224 on: January 21, 2019, 07:05:51 pm »
Not the first time I've had a fluke handle get broken in shipment. But super glue doesn't work on the type of plastic Fluke uses. Has to be epoxy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf