Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550749 times)

Vince, TSCOLAN and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29575 on: April 18, 2019, 04:40:28 am »
Looking real nice!  :-+

How goes the HP modulation domain scope repairs?

Not had a chance to pull the supply out of the second one yet.  Should have time to pull it apart and get caps ordered this weekend.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29576 on: April 18, 2019, 05:04:44 am »
The 2247A looks great! I'm always amused by the arrangement of letters in the MHz on-screen label.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29577 on: April 18, 2019, 05:16:15 am »
Just because its whats on the inside that counts, took a few photos while the cover was off.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29578 on: April 18, 2019, 05:24:49 am »
Bring down the Scope Tech a little.

Time to descope by one due to the recent Tek addition. The cheapy Protek / Hang Chang 3502 (20MHz) needs to find a new home after a quick clean and calibration tweak. Seems I could have skipped the clean bit nearly zero dust anywhere  :-//

If anyone in Oz on this thread has or knows of a worthy home for it let me know? $50 with a pair of new Hantek probes plus postage or it will hit evilbay in a week or so. If it is a community/hackerspace feel free to give me a lowball offer  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29579 on: April 18, 2019, 05:27:06 am »
Looking at the interior of that scope really gives you perspective on the engineering that went into Tek CROs.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29580 on: April 18, 2019, 05:49:00 am »
Yeah, especially when they're posted in succession like that.

The colors of the Hantek are rather Philips-like.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29581 on: April 18, 2019, 07:15:41 am »
Spent the evening with the guy who saved a workshop of electronics from a real estate agent's dumpster. Tested scopes, service monitors, power supplies and meters. I came away with a Fluke 8800 (working),  HP3400A (not working), HP PSU (not working, don't remember the number) and he has three scopes, two service monitors, and a power supply to sell on ebay.

The find of the evening came while we were sorting through boxes of printer switches, random power cords, etc:

Damn if it didn't have the AC adapter still attached and lit up when I hit the power switch.  Do you want it? I was just going to throw it in with a bunch of computers going to ecycle.  I allowed as I would find it useful and set it aside.

An HP45! Yes, the very same model my vo-tech instructor used to flaunt while checking our (slide-rule-calculated) quiz and test answers. I haven't seen one in more than forty years.  It cost 395USD in 1973 and was the first calculator to have a shift key

Happily, the battery (last changed in 1986) didn't leak. Tomorrow I will figure out how to build a replacement battery pack and put it back into daily use.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bitseeker, kj7e, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, grizewald, 0culus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29582 on: April 18, 2019, 07:21:43 am »
And yet more equipment in, um, strange condition and with optimistic pricing:

Tektronix 1503 TDR Cable Tester
  Condition: Used
  “Used, sold as pictured, un able to test and will be sold in working order as shown”   
  US $379.99

No picture of a trace, naturally.
One of the pictures shows it has clearly been bodged by adding unnecessarily crude terminals on the back. That, if nothing else, means you can never use it in the rain, nor store it underwater. Hence it cannot be to full spec :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-1503-TDR-Cable-Tester/264251751929
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:51:02 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29583 on: April 18, 2019, 07:23:39 am »
An HP45! Yes, the very same model my vo-tech instructor used to flaunt while checking our (slide-rule-calculated) quiz and test answers. I haven't seen one in more than forty years.  It cost 395USD in 1973 and was the first calculator to have a shift key

Happily, the battery (last changed in 1986) didn't leak. Tomorrow I will figure out how to build a replacement battery pack and put it back into daily use.

You can buy replacement HP35 battery packs on fleabay, quite cheaply.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29584 on: April 18, 2019, 07:32:04 am »

You can buy replacement HP35 battery packs on fleabay, quite cheaply.

All the 'classics' series calculators use the same battery pack. I have an HP 45 with one of the eBay specials and it works OK

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29585 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:47 am »
What sort of a !@##ing ^&&hole puts Time base Adjustment Caps under a lump of non removable Steel  :rant:

My tongue angle and swizzle sticks don't do curves  :horse:

Scotch Break ......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29586 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:11 am »
LOL.

Try Telequipment. Yes we'll do that but at the same time we'll assemble a two board sandwich with a rat's nest of wires between them so you can't actually get into the middle either without resorting to MacGuyver bomb disposal techniques.  On their stuff I have taken to snipping the iffy components off as close to the body as possible, bending the remaining leads up and soldering the new component to the old leads.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29587 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:13 am »
LOL.

Try Telequipment. Yes we'll do that but at the same time we'll assemble a two board sandwich with a rat's nest of wires between them so you can't actually get into the middle either without resorting to MacGuyver bomb disposal techniques.  On their stuff I have taken to snipping the iffy components off as close to the body as possible, bending the remaining leads up and soldering the new component to the old leads.

I've never ever ever done that. Neither have I heated the topside component lead and pulled, then sucked, then reinserted and soldered. Nor tack soldered a new electrolytic in parallel with a suspect decoupler.

Oh no. Never ever.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29588 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:55 am »
What sort of a !@##ing ^&&hole puts Time base Adjustment Caps under a lump of non removable Steel  :rant:

That's probably why there's a hole in the steel?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29589 on: April 18, 2019, 08:47:15 am »

I've never ever ever done that.

Despite your sarcasm I'm still going to call you out on this. Of course you have. I have too. We ALL have done it.  ;D

Neither have I heated the topside component lead and pulled, then sucked, then reinserted and soldered.

Again....Please.  ::) I do that all the time when changing the beaded tants on the 465/475.

Nor tack soldered a new electrolytic in parallel with a suspect decoupler.

Now that I have not done. So you got me beat there.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29590 on: April 18, 2019, 08:48:07 am »

That's probably why there's a hole in the steel?

Which don't align with the trimmers  |O

Issue resolved I now have a double recurved swizzle stick  :horse: and a good bit of kit ready for a new owner.

I should have done the flyover with a drone but CBF'd  ;)

https://youtu.be/COm-N4Zfoa8

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29591 on: April 18, 2019, 08:58:16 am »
And yet more equipment in, um, strange condition and with optimistic pricing:

Tektronix 1503 TDR Cable Tester
  Condition: Used
  “Used, sold as pictured, un able to test and will be sold in working order as shown”   
  US $379.99

No picture of a trace, naturally.
One of the pictures shows it has clearly been bodged by adding unnecessarily crude terminals on the back. That, if nothing else, means you can never use it in the rain, nor store it underwater. Hence it cannot be to full spec :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-1503-TDR-Cable-Tester/264251751929
Yep, there some really wonderful sellers out there that really fill you with confidence. If a seller states its working, I always ask to see photos of it working first  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29592 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:37 am »
LOL.

I've never ever ever done that. Neither have I heated the topside component lead and pulled, then sucked, then reinserted and soldered. Nor tack soldered a new electrolytic in parallel with a suspect decoupler.

Oh no. Never ever.
Hmm I wonder why when I read this, I keep getting this image appear in my Brain  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29593 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:37 am »

Or of course it could be that the Hantek is much newer and uses advanced chipset so complexity is reduced  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29594 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:03 am »

Or of course it could be that the Hantek is much newer and uses advanced chipset so complexity is reduced  :-//

Protek / Hang Chang not Hantek ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29595 on: April 18, 2019, 09:25:41 am »
Just had confirmation from Digikey that my mains filter units should be with on Tuesday, thats good, I'll be able to use newly acquired 7150's then and post some photos of them performing along side my other meters against some known references, early indications are that it should be within about 10 microvolts on some measurements and others spot on. If thats correct then I think you could call a win as it falls within its specification ratings, especially for an instrument of its age. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29596 on: April 18, 2019, 09:29:47 am »
Cool stuff. I hate Easter weekend. I'm hoping an RS order turns up today so I can actually get on with something, else it's shelve until Tuesday  :(

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29597 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:50 am »
LOL.

Oh no. Never ever.
Hmm I wonder why when I read this, I keep getting this image appear in my Brain  :-DD

Being more kultchered, I was thinking of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" :)
https://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/lady-doth-protest-too-much-methinks

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29598 on: April 18, 2019, 09:48:47 am »

I've never ever ever done that.

Despite your sarcasm I'm still going to call you out on this. Of course you have. I have too. We ALL have done it.  ;D

Neither have I heated the topside component lead and pulled, then sucked, then reinserted and soldered.

Again....Please.  ::) I do that all the time when changing the beaded tants on the 465/475.

Nor tack soldered a new electrolytic in parallel with a suspect decoupler.

Now that I have not done. So you got me beat there.  :-DD

Drat. Spotted.

In my defense, the tacked in parallel caps were only on a 1kHz LCR meter, and are sufficient.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29599 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:51 am »

Don't these morons understand that not everyone who fixes electronic equipment is a business

Is not possible register as a small business in Sweden, to get around this?

In the UK you can get set up with an officially registered company ID for almost no money.

To register a company in the simplest form costs about 175 GBP. The biggest problem is that as someone who is registered as owning a business, the yearly tax declaration is way more complicated and takes a lot longer to get processed. Plus you have to file yearly accounts. Both of these things apply regardless of turnover or profits.

It's simply not worth the hassle.
  Lord of Sealand

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf