Author Topic: Test Lead / Probes Recommendation for Fluke 8050A?  (Read 9719 times)

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Test Lead / Probes Recommendation for Fluke 8050A?
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:20:42 am »
So I am getting this Fluke 8050A any day now, and well it comes with nothing but the power cord.

I am 100% CLUELESS as to which probes and test leads I need to purchase.

I have nothing here except some cheap pvc probes with $10 home depot multimeter.

I'd so love it if someone could point me to a reliable, very affordable set of probes / test leads that would work well with this 8050A.  A bundled package would be nice.. a kit.   I'd like silicone covered wires and whatever the meter requires -- I believe CAT III?  (whatever that means).

I feel so stupid. Gah.  I've done searching here and on youtube and not getting anywhere.. lots of useful info but scattered everywere and everyone assume you know at least something about all this.

I don't even know if the meter I am getting uses probes / test leads which are compatible with virtually all other bench meters.  Or if all handheld probes work on most all bench meters etc. 

Are there any good videos that explain all of this?

What would you buy if you were limited on money and your only meter was a Fluke 8050A?  And you had NOTHING.. no probes or test leads at all.  Guess I just need whatever is required for the AoE book and to be reasonably safe (silicone etc).  I definitely don't want to buy junky probes/leads.. I want accurate readings and safety.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:29:06 am by JenniferG »
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Lead / Probes Recommendation for Fluke 8050A?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:28:55 am »
Probably you want to check out these:

http://probemaster.com/8000-series-test-leads-only/

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:35 am »
Probably you want to check out these:

http://probemaster.com/8000-series-test-leads-only/

Thank you. Wow a specific set of leads for the 8000 line of Flukes?  So there is no standard for lead connections across makes/models?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:44 am »
Thank you. Wow a specific set of leads for the 8000 line of Flukes?  So there is no standard for lead connections across makes/models?

These 8000 series from Probemaster are for general use. I'm going to order some for my DMMs (Brymen 869s, HP 34401A, Keithley DMM 7510 etc. )
A friend of mine is having them and I liked their quality.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:08 am »

These 8000 series from Probemaster are for general use. I'm going to order some for my DMMs (Brymen 869s, HP 34401A, Keithley DMM 7510 etc. )
A friend of mine is having them and I liked their quality.

What length and what model should I go with? What are you getting?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:43 am »
What length and what model should I go with? What are you getting?

This is a difficult question.
As a general rule you can say: the shorter the cables the better.
But. There is always a but ...  :)

I'm going to order some 60" probes. Reason:
My meters are sitting on my right side, a bit far away from the DUT so I need a bit more cable length.
And most things what I want to measure with the long cables are voltages between -50V ... +50V, sometimes
resistors, testing diodes, LEDs, continuity testing etc.
All this stuff is not very susceptible to distortion, so the length of the cables is not problem.
Most people I know are using the right angle banana connectors, because they find them convenient.
I personally do like more the straight ones, but this is a personal preference.

If you want to hear a recommendation for you, here it is:
I assume you are a beginner and will start with the common stuff.
I this case I would suggest these for your 8050A:

the 8043S Kit with the 60" cables and right angle connectors.

Reason: it comes with some nice handy test clips and the length of the cables should be sufficient for most workbench configurations.

Edit: some typo

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:30:57 am »
I have their right angle 48' probes here. Generally I prefer the longer leads, with 36 being the shortest I would comfortably go.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 07:35:10 am »
Thanks guys.  What is the difference between "banana plug" and "banana jack" with respect to meters?  I can't see because they are both protected. But is the plug a male and the jack a female, within the protective cover?

Are there two different types, to be use as "extension cords" ?  Or are there two different types of connectors on various brands of meters?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:36:48 am by JenniferG »

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:02 am »
What would you buy if you were limited on money and your only meter was a Fluke 8050A?  And you had NOTHING.. no probes or test leads at all.
If you are going to put it this way, lamp cord and the end of a sewing needle will do it as long as you promise not to probe anything over 60V DC :)

Now, if you are going to avoid startbucks for 3 days in a row get either the 8000 series leads or if you want an abundance of options (no starcbucks for a week or more), take a look at the 9100
series. http://probemaster.com/9000-series-modular/

Even better take a look at the website and then call the 800 number and if you get the same nice lady I got, she'll explain everything :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:29:52 am »
The 4mm banana jack (female) is the standard connector for low-frequency measurement and is used on almost every multimeter. The 4mm banana plug (male) is the connector on the probe leads. They come as either shrouded, or unshrouded/bare. The shroud is for safety and also protects against disturbing the signal through accidental contact with the pins; generally any meter since 1980 uses the shrouded type, but you can plug unshrouded plugs into a "shrouded" jack if necessary. Your 8050A accepts shrouded plugs, so any probe leads should fit it fine.

Thanks guys.  What is the difference between "banana plug" and "banana jack" with respect to meters?  I can't see because they are both protected. But is the plug a male and the jack a female, within the protective cover?
Correct. The male plug has a safety shroud that concentrically surrounds it. The female jack has a concentric slot around the contact, whose only function is to receive the shroud. It doesn't protect the female contact: you can insert a probe tip into the jack and it will make contact.

Are there two different types, to be use as "extension cords" ?  Or are there two different types of connectors on various brands of meters?
All brands use the same standard jack, unless they are designed for high voltage (over 1KV) or very high sensitivity (nanovolts). Then there are special low-thermal-emf alloys for sensitive ohm-meters... all pretty heavily specialized.
You can get patch cords with banana plugs on both ends, to connect two devices with banana jacks together. Some of them are stackable. There are also probe kits with multiple tips that fit onto a common lead. The lead has banana plugs on both ends, and each tip has a banana jack that fits onto it. For example, the Pomona 5677B kit: You can see the 5907A leads, which plug into the multimeter at one end, and have the same kind of shrouded plug at the other end. All the other accessories have a banana jack, so they can mate with the 5907A.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »
They are standard, I bought some at radio shack back before they went under.
I personally don't like to use the right angle like the link above on this type of meter since they angle the leads down into the bench.  I look for the straight out kind.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »
Just as an example for you to consider - there is no one-size-fits-all answer here...

I ordered two sets of Probemaster leads recently.

For my handheld meter:
a 9103R Electronic Basic Test Lead Kit (48" leads, right angle jacks, modular probes)

For my benchtop meter:
a 8028S Test Lead Kit (48" leads, straight jacks, fixed probes)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Thank you so much guys.  Really helps a lot!  Things are cleared up in my head now :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:29:18 pm by JenniferG »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:25:28 pm »
For my bench meter that 8028S looks good.  Like idea of straight vs right angle for banana plugs, for a bench meter.

Would all those tip option which are included with 8028s get me through AoE?  At least I'd have the standard probes and something to hook and latch onto semiconductor legs.

The spades and alligators look handy as well.

The price of $28 is really attractive for all those tips included.

I suppose this particular kit is expandable later on with other adapters?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this :)  Really need those probes.  I suppose I can use my cheapy pvc wire test leads that came with Home Depot meter until I get these.

EDIT: or maybe I should spring for the 8028K kit for AoE?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:36:48 pm by JenniferG »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 01:35:30 pm »
Is there a decent Probe Master distributor for Europe? Shipping from the US costs more than the probes :(

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:56 pm »
Is there a decent Probe Master distributor for Europe? Shipping from the US costs more than the probes :(

I think Simon (one of the forum moderators) in the UK  - http://www.simonselectronics.co.uk

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:30 pm »
I suppose this particular kit is expandable later on with other adapters?

It is, and Probemaster sells a lot of options. Plus they give free shipping.
For AoE you probably have enough with the S kit - the minigrabber leads will be great for breadboard stuff.
It comes down to $28 vs $50 which is a hard one to answer - if you are a budding Test Equipment Addict then $50 obviously  :)

But I suspect you are going to buy more once you get going.  Lots of vendors sell minigrabbers etc with standard 4mm banana plugs.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 02:34:02 pm »
I'm using:

Pomona 5019 for general probing (1 pair as I only have one pair of hands)

Pomona 3782 4mm/minigrabber patch for dev/test (4 pairs of these red/black)

Pomona B leads for general 4mm stuff (12 mixed ones red black, yellow, green all 24/36" long)

They're all stacking apart from the probes which makes life easy.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
I like modular test leads, I use the TL224, I like the longer length. With modular you can just slide off your probe and slide on your various clips, so you need less cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRINW/

Offline MatteoX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »
Does anyone has experience with Probe Master 8018S retractable shroud banana plugs?

I have some bench DMMs that do not have shrouded connectors (HP 3457 and HP 3478). Currently I am using shrouded to unshrouded banana adapters but when I insert probe plugs into them they stick out too much from the DMMs. I am trying to find something that will work satisfactory with both shrouded and unshrouded DMM jacks.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »
Does anyone has experience with Probe Master 8018S retractable shroud banana plugs?

I have some bench DMMs that do not have shrouded connectors (HP 3457 and HP 3478). Currently I am using shrouded to unshrouded banana adapters but when I insert probe plugs into them they stick out too much from the DMMs. I am trying to find something that will work satisfactory with both shrouded and unshrouded DMM jacks.

Yep. I have some of those that I purchase specifically to use with my HP 3478.  They are excellent.

Probemaster is the definitely the way to go for aftermarket probes.

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »
Being the owner of an 8050A myself, I wouldn't get right angle test leads. I think these pictures will show you why (not mine, I'm a couple hundred kilometers from my 8050A at the moment) - they kind of get in the way:

Looks much more proper with straight leads IMHO:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »
Wow guys, thanks for all the info. I greatly appreciate it!

Had another newb question, if you don't mind--I apologize.  I was wondering if someone could tell me what each of these are for?  The ones circled in green.   Are they all the grabber type, but just smaller and more flexible?

I am guessing they are probably worth having for $15 more.  Especially since they are probably made of the same quality as the rest of the matching probemaster stuff.

(They even have a "deluxe" kit which includes additional stuff for like $75-- which confuses me even more because I don't even know what the circled stuff below is for, lol.)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:23:02 pm by JenniferG »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:49 pm »
1. The ones on the left are what Probemaster calls "4-inch extender tips": they fit on the ends of the probes and are insulated nearly to the tip. You would use them when you want to probe something buried in a mess of exposed wiring, or when you just need extra reach.
2. The ones to the lower right are the "wire wrap lead (0.025-inch socket)". They also fit over the ends of the probes, and adapt them to the square post pins on wirewrap prototype boards. I think they would also fit tightly enough on regular DIP IC pins, but there might be some wiggle room. You could use that to make a secure connection to a specific pin on a wirewrap board, or to a DIP chip that is "dead bug style", with its pins in the air. But it is also used in combination with:
3. The ones in the middle right are the "pincer hooks", used to grab onto small part leads like QFP or SOICs. They are small so they can be placed very close together on dense circuits, but they can only connect to leads with a "pin socket" like the ones above, sometimes called a Dupont connector.

These last two adapters are useful for keeping a probe fastened on to a circuit pin so you can leave it and put your attention somewhere else. The basic kit contains similar "spring hooks" (pictured in the upper left) which are just not quite as small.

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf