Author Topic: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread  (Read 168023 times)

Offline Loboscope

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
Could anyone help me?

I wanted to download the newest firmware for my SDG1025. To do this, you need to register at Siglent.com, but the registration-page will not work for me. When I enter my (correct!) E-Mail-Adress, there will always show up the message "Please enter Correct E-mail!" and I cannot finish the registration procedure. And I cannot find any other workaround to register at siglent.com  :-[.

Could anyone help me to register or to find the newest firmware?

Thanks!

Greetings, Jürgen

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:13 am »
Could anyone help me?

I wanted to download the newest firmware for my SDG1025. To do this, you need to register at Siglent.com, but the registration-page will not work for me. When I enter my (correct!) E-Mail-Adress, there will always show up the message "Please enter Correct E-mail!" and I cannot finish the registration procedure. And I cannot find any other workaround to register at siglent.com  :-[.

Could anyone help me to register or to find the newest firmware?

Thanks!

Greetings, Jürgen
The USA site is more user friendly.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Loboscope

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 02:14:48 pm »
@tautech
Thank you, but meanwhile rf-loop could help me via PM.

Greetings, Jürgen

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:47 pm »
I have been playing around with all my equipment tonight and realized the the rotary knob has a push function. I cannot find any use for this. Anyone?

As far as I know it's unused by any function as of firmware version 1.01.01.36R1.
-katie

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:05 pm »
I have been playing around with all my equipment tonight and realized the the rotary knob has a push function. I cannot find any use for this. Anyone?

It's useless

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »

It's useless

Not since yesterday, has firmware reports:

4. Add a knob press also has the role of the function keyboard in store

Don't ask me about what that means... ;-)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg628358/#msg628358

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2015, 02:56:38 pm »

It's only usable in two places that I've found: 

1) Entering a file name, when saving to internal or external memory you can push the knob to select the letter/digit you want to enter.

2) Same thing when entering the license number to upgrade the bandwidth.

It would be nice to see this used elsewhere too.

-katie

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2015, 04:09:05 pm »

It's only usable in two places that I've found: 

1) Entering a file name, when saving to internal or external memory you can push the knob to select the letter/digit you want to enter.

2) Same thing when entering the license number to upgrade the bandwidth.

It would be nice to see this used elsewhere too.

Not even that used to work a couple of months back. I wonder what took them so long...  ::)  :palm:

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:54 pm »
Hi, I just got a new SDG830 today. One of the jobs I wanted it for was to setup an HF radio receiver, using some fixed value external attenuators I can get a useful output level and the FM, AM DSB are great, but it seems you cant have a modulated output whilst varying the output level(with the knob), I have to keep changing between screens to set the level, then turn the modulation back on. Am I missing something? or is there just no way to wind the output up and down whilst its modulated (I only used an analogue sig. gen. for this job before).
Apart from this it seems to be a great unit, good build and user interface.
Cheers.
Brett.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »
Am I missing something? or is there just no way to wind the output up and down whilst its modulated (I only used an analogue sig. gen. for this job before).

Yes, I think you're missing something.  I have a SDG1025 which I think should be identical to 830 with the exception of an additional channel.  Once you're turned on the modulation press the waveform key (SIN, SQUARE, etc.) then press the amplitude key.  Now you can adjust the amplitude with the knob and the left/right arrow keys as needed.

-katie

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »
Hi, I just got a new SDG830 today. One of the jobs I wanted it for was to setup an HF radio receiver, using some fixed value external attenuators I can get a useful output level and the FM, AM DSB are great, but it seems you cant have a modulated output whilst varying the output level(with the knob), I have to keep changing between screens to set the level, then turn the modulation back on. Am I missing something? or is there just no way to wind the output up and down whilst its modulated (I only used an analogue sig. gen. for this job before).
Apart from this it seems to be a great unit, good build and user interface.
Cheers.
Brett.

To change the amplitude of the modulated signal you have to go back to the unmodulated signal. I know, it's a big oversight. I think there is no space left on the screen for it. Perhaps you could build some variable attenuators for it?

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:06 pm »
Hope someone here can offer advice.

Got a second hand (no warranty) SDG1025. When I bought it looked like a brand new  :)  (original box, still in the original plastic bag neatly packed).

Got the latest Firmware (37R2) installed, did the "Self Test" and "Self Calibration", but still have the same problem - there is no signal on any output, just some DC value that I can change changing the offset value, but can't find direct relationship between the offset value selected and offset value actually measured.

And yes, I did turn the CH1/CH2 on :) I only tested Sin Wave, just guessing it will be the same with other wave forms.

Counter does not register anything connected to CH2 either.

I'm getting ready to open the box and check some of test points listed in the Service Manual, but information there is very limited, so I hope some of you on this board can offer some suggestions what to do/try.

Thanks!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
I'd check the power supplies and signal path. Just follow the components from the output connector. A lot of equipment can be repaired with a scope and some persistance.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2015, 07:15:35 pm »
Hope someone here can offer advice.

Got a second hand (no warranty) SDG1025. When I bought it looked like a brand new  :)  (original box, still in the original plastic bag neatly packed).

Got the latest Firmware (37R2) installed, did the "Self Test" and "Self Calibration", but still have the same problem - there is no signal on any output, just some DC value that I can change changing the offset value, but can't find direct relationship between the offset value selected and offset value actually measured.

And yes, I did turn the CH1/CH2 on :) I only tested Sin Wave, just guessing it will be the same with other wave forms.

Counter does not register anything connected to CH2 either.

I'm getting ready to open the box and check some of test points listed in the Service Manual, but information there is very limited, so I hope some of you on this board can offer some suggestions what to do/try.

Thanks!
Please put your country flag in your profile.

How long have you had this unit?
You say it has no warranty but Siglent has a 3 yr warranty, is it older than this?

IIRC they have a Default setting, have you tried it?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2015, 12:04:21 am »
Am I missing something? or is there just no way to wind the output up and down whilst its modulated (I only used an analogue sig. gen. for this job before).

Yes, I think you're missing something.  I have a SDG1025 which I think should be identical to 830 with the exception of an additional channel.  Once you're turned on the modulation press the waveform key (SIN, SQUARE, etc.) then press the amplitude key.  Now you can adjust the amplitude with the knob and the left/right arrow keys as needed.

Thanks for that! Works exactly as you say, makes tuning up a receiver much easier. Now I am even happier with my new toy  :D
Cheers!
Brett.

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2015, 06:31:56 am »
I'd check the power supplies and signal path. Just follow the components from the output connector. A lot of equipment can be repaired with a scope and some persistance.

Will give it a try. TO my surprise I found the Service Manual on their web site - will sure help opening the box and finding test points to begin with

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2015, 06:40:52 am »

You say it has no warranty but Siglent has a 3 yr warranty, is it older than this?

Was in a hurry to find the password so I posted without being logged in. Location Chicago, IL.

Got the unit second hand, in original box, looked like never opened before, but no proof of purchase/invoice in the box. The company that went belly up sold bunch of stuff without spending time on making a future owner covered :)

I did the "Default" settings as well, not much help.

I sent an e-mail to Siglent US and got response within couple of hours asking for some additional details. If they won't take it as unit under the warranty, I'll take a look inside some time the next week

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:54 am »

Was in a hurry to find the password so I posted without being logged in. Location Chicago, IL.

Got the unit second hand, in original box, looked like never opened before, but no proof of purchase/invoice in the box. The company that went belly up sold bunch of stuff without spending time on making a future owner covered :)

I did the "Default" settings as well, not much help.

I sent an e-mail to Siglent US and got response within couple of hours asking for some additional details. If they won't take it as unit under the warranty, I'll take a look inside some time the next week

Serial number prefix tell time of manufacturing.
You can leave 3 last digits out and previous digits tell time (I think Siglent know even manufacture "lot" with this) 
Corrected typemismatch: Of course 4 digits.

Do not yet update FW before check how old it is out from box

What are FW and HW versions what it display just out from box?

This is if  can suspect that this unit have been very long time untouched in this company stock. SDG1000 series was first lauched March, 2011.
In this case there is perhaps very old FW and these very very old FW's perhaps need intermediate update(s) before current available FW's.  (I'm still surprised that Siglent do not warn about it on the download side, perhaps they believe there can not be so old units without updated FW)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:59:44 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »
You can leave 3 last digits out and previous digits tell time (I think Siglent know even manufacture "lot" with this)

This is if  can suspect that this unit have been very long time untouched in this company stock. SDG1000 series was first lauched March, 2011.
In this case there is perhaps very old FW and these very very old FW's perhaps need intermediate update(s) before current available FW's.  (I'm still surprised that Siglent do not warn about it on the download side, perhaps they believe there can not be so old units without updated FW)

In regards to checking the old FW version, too late, got it flashed first thing out of box.

S/N dos not match what you have mentioned  - it's SDG00003130618.

Holographic sticker is still there, intact.

Here are current versions
BootStrap No: 46
Software version: 1.01.01.37R2
Hardware version: 02-00-00-23-24

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2015, 06:23:54 pm »
Does the serial number on screen match the serial number printed on the instrument?

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
Does the serial number on screen match the serial number printed on the instrument?

It does

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2015, 07:39:56 pm »

In regards to checking the old FW version, too late, got it flashed first thing out of box.

SN indicates to me it was built in March 2013.....It's still under Warranty.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Miroslav

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:37 pm »

SN indicates to me it was built in March 2013.....It's still under Warranty.

Now I see - the last 4 digits taken out gives "313" (as in March 2013) - I did with 3 last digits, got 3130, did not know what to do with it :)

Got the unit second hand through liquidation sale, don't have sales receipt, will see if Siglent US will honor the warranty in my case. Will wait till I open it up and take a look on my own, for now :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:16 pm »
I wouldn't open it, why risk Siglent honouring the warranty and you benefiting with a perfectly good working unit.

BTW did you pay much for it?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »

Manufactured 2013. It means that there can not be factory installed some these very old FW what perhaps need intermediate update before go to later FW's. (it was perhaps something like 1.01.01.13 or something other under 1.01.01.30, in some very very old FW there was also very poor contrast in TFT due to some wrong parameters)

Bootstrap 46. Perhaps ypu have not powered up it so many times.
After factory you start it first time it is 1. (After Siglent original new package I have noted boot up counter is alwaqys treseted. (I do not know how they reset it after factory tests and factory calibration)

When I sell to customers it is (typically) between 10-25 due to my own >24-48h  "burn in" run with many thermal cycles and after then tests.

46 looks like it have used some amount after factory.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf