Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550373 times)

Bastler-XX and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #975 on: August 06, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
edit: I found a working downgrade, got full bandwidth after telneting in and removing the line, then did an upgrade to latest firmware revision - works well
Can you please write which was working downgrade for you - thanks.

I had the exact same issue, I went back down to version 1.17R5 then I could do the mod with no login requirement
and then went back up again to the latest version

EDIT: my original FW was 1.23R5 which does not exist on the Siglent website at all!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:21:17 pm by analogRF »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #976 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »
has anybody lost his serial number after 120MHz mod?

mine changed to 0123456789 for some reason

I got it back though by simply changing the SN in the NSP_system_info.xml to what it was before

I am 100% sure I didnt touch that line of the file when I deleted the bandwidth <license>
and I clearly remember when I saved it the correct serial number was still there but after reboot
it was replaced by 0123456789

EDIT: I am using the janekivi 23R7 version now. But for the hack, I had downgraded my firmware and then upgraded to the official 23R7. But finally I decided to change to the edited firmware because of the shorted warning messages thanks to janekivi. I should have used that from the beginning :-(

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:49:50 pm by analogRF »

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #977 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:04 am »

Yes, it is known issue

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #978 on: August 07, 2018, 06:49:59 pm »

Yes, it is known issue

That is easy enough to avoid by not deleting your serial number from the config file.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #979 on: August 16, 2018, 12:02:04 pm »
I recently bought a SDG2042X and I'm impressed. It's got some weight, feels sturdy, buttons and dial are good, screen is very clear.

I was going to try the Siglent EasyWave software but it demands that NI VISA be installed = 600MB or so. I dislike VISA, its so bloated.
I thought EasyWave would have let me create a waveform and just save it to USB stick for transfer to the SDG.  :palm: Sigh.

I'll probably use GNU Octave since I have that already but are there any other recommendations for making arb waves for the SDG2000X series?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #980 on: August 16, 2018, 06:58:03 pm »
You don't need to install the full NIVISA package, instead look for NI VISA 540 Runtime and that's a much smaller package @ 75MB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #981 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33:21 am »
Here's a link to avoid the NI registration process for downloading NI-VISA Run-Time Engine 17.0
Win10, 123MB download. Still bloated but acceptable I guess.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-run-time-engine/6647/en/

Creating and downloading waveforms with EasyWave seems...erm, easy.

Thanks.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #982 on: August 17, 2018, 09:58:40 pm »
You don't need to install the full NIVISA package, instead look for NI VISA 540 Runtime and that's a much smaller package @ 75MB.

but it installs a bunch of garbage to the system. The worse thing it add some processes into at system startup and they started each time at system startup, even if you don't use it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #983 on: August 17, 2018, 10:04:58 pm »

but it installs a bunch of garbage to the system. The worse thing it add some processes into at system startup and they started each time at system startup, even if you don't use it.
What OS are you running ?
Could this be an alternative ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/open-source-lxi-tools-and-liblxi-v1-0-released-for-gnulinux/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline PhilipPeake

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #984 on: August 18, 2018, 10:03:14 pm »

I got it back though by simply changing the SN in the NSP_system_info.xml to what it was before

I am 100% sure I didnt touch that line of the file when I deleted the bandwidth <license>
and I clearly remember when I saved it the correct serial number was still there but after reboot
it was replaced by 0123456789

EDIT: I am using the janekivi 23R7 version now. But for the hack, I had downgraded my firmware and then upgraded to the official 23R7. But finally I decided to change to the edited firmware because of the shorted warning messages thanks to janekivi. I should have used that from the beginning :-(

If you followed the instructions, and just deleted the line containing the license, because of the way its formatted you took out the closing </system_information> tag.

You need to delete just the stuff between <license> and </license> (Inclusive of those tags)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:44:31 pm by PhilipPeake »

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #985 on: September 07, 2018, 02:17:38 pm »
Hi, am in need of a staircase video waveform and booted up my SDG to find none was built in.. Does anyone know if there is such a waveform definition around somewhere? If not, what is the best way to construct one as an arb?

Edit: created a video waveform with EasyWave that unfortunately only works on Windows. Why not cross platform, this is the 21st Century..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:33:29 pm by artelse »

Offline ilciumbia

« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2018, 11:07:41 pm »
Hum, with original 23R7 you can't login with Telnet. Use the  janeviki version with which you can login with username admin and a password very simple to guess for members here...

Gixy - I tried to look around the site but can't find easily what you meant by "janeviki version" - could you please give a link/reference to that?

Thanks,

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83534199392458632882

Ouch... Link broken... can you please help?...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:16:04 pm by ilciumbia »

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #987 on: September 18, 2018, 12:47:50 am »
I'd be interested in finding a valid link as well.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #988 on: September 22, 2018, 07:50:28 am »
New firmware for SDG2000X models.

Version 2.01.01.23R8
13.6 MB
https://www.siglentamerica.com/download/7217/

Changelog
Optimized calibration and PV process on the production line.  :-//

New units made ~6 weeks ago have this FW version installed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TAL

« Reply #989 on: September 22, 2018, 12:19:11 pm »
Still downgradable...  ;D

I've got a new unit yesterday and didn't notice any difference in the signal output between (stock) R8 Firmware and a lower one.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #990 on: September 22, 2018, 12:22:48 pm »
the 120MHz hack will not be affected, right?

Offline TAL

« Reply #991 on: September 22, 2018, 12:39:41 pm »
the 120MHz hack will not be affected, right?
Nope

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #992 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:44 pm »
Changelog
Optimized calibration and PV process on the production line.  :-//

New units made ~6 weeks ago have this FW version installed.

If you look at the Changelog dates, then it is February there...

Date             Version             Revision
2/28/2018    2.01.01.23R8    Optimized calibration and PV (Product validation?) process on the production line.

ADS file itself is 21 September 2018, but files in that ADS are all from 14 November 2017.

Previous version:
8/29/2017    2.01.01.23R7, ADS contents were from 21 July 2017.

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #993 on: September 25, 2018, 03:11:23 pm »
I got a package from Batronix which doesn't seem to be completely new.
I wonder especially about the coax cable and the missing CD.

Does anyone have pictures of the standard accessories that came with the SDG2042X?
How long is your coax cable?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #994 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:48 pm »
I got a package from Batronix which doesn't seem to be completely new.
I wonder especially about the coax cable and the missing CD.

Does anyone have pictures of the standard accessories that came with the SDG2042X?
How long is your coax cable?

SDG2000X Standard accessories are listed on Siglent web side.
Power cord, BNC cable 1m, quick start guide.

Data sheet have (bit) different info:
quick start guide, power cord, USB cable, factory calibration certificate, BNC coaxial cable

I have not seen any CD in any Siglent new product cartons. Long time ago Siglent informed that they do not anymore include CD. (Naturally because it is always obsolete and also today many computers, specially many popular laptops do not have museum CD.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:01:42 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #995 on: September 25, 2018, 05:46:32 pm »
Well, the EU website said this (datasheet and manual agree and don't say "SDG5162"):
Accessoires Included:

Siglent SDG5162 Arbitrary Function Generator
User Manual
Guarantee Card
CD (including EasyWave 1.0 computer software system)
Power Cord
USB Cable
Quick Start Guide

Which is why I asked, because it didn't say anything about the length.

If you have proper PC equipment (even laptop) you have an optical drive, very useful if you don't have Internet ;)
Long time ago Siglent informed that they do not anymore include CD.
The manual which has a date of 2017, still mentions the CD.

The other reason why I asked is to get a more detailed view of the components, because my package seems to have been opened.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:57:33 pm by petert »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #996 on: September 25, 2018, 06:11:48 pm »
Well, the EU website said this (datasheet and manual agree and don't say "SDG5162"):

This, and only this,  is official Siglent European area web side.

These are only official web sides
(slow) http://www.siglent.com/cn/index.aspx  (Siglent official domestic web side, chinese language. Do not change language if want see whole product portfolio available in China mainland)

(slow) www.siglent.com/ens  (Asian Headquarter, China, Shenzhen (there is also factory))
www.siglenteu.com    (European sales office, Germany, Hamburg)
www.siglentamerica.com/  (North American Headquarter)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:26:15 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #997 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »

This, and only this,  is official Siglent European area web side.
Looks like the manual was updated in 2018, and the other site (interesting how siglent allows them to use that name, if they are no affiliated...) still has the old one.
Your link is certainly more complete and has more complete documentation/software links.

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #998 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »
If you have proper PC equipment (even laptop) you have an optical drive, very useful if you don't have Internet ;)
As a side note, around half (or maybe even more) of the new laptops bought into our corner of the company don't have any optical drive, and that has been the state for few years now. It isn't often needed, but when it is, many colleagues need to hunt a person whose laptop still has such a drive :P  All the laptops are still quite the "proper" PC equipment. USB-sticks are where it is at now (when not having internet).

I have personally needed optical drive only during the first setup (more than 4 years ago IIRC), and even then, only because I asked for downgraded Windows version. For certain drivers, the only working versions could finally be found on the CD (or was it DVD) that came with the laptop. The downloadable ones had been just updated and they no longer supported the downgraded windows version.

Offline petert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #999 on: September 25, 2018, 10:35:01 pm »
As a side note, around half (or maybe even more) of the new laptops bought into our corner of the company don't have any optical drive, and that has been the state for few years now.
"Museum" and similar talk is marketing lingo.
Many laptops and development systems are locked down, does that mean it's a good idea? Apple removes the headphone jack, and just one USB plug remains, which forces you to use adapters. Is that practical? Reducing options is not necessarily a good idea, just because it's a trend.

I have personally needed optical drive only during the first setup (more than 4 years ago IIRC), and even then, only because I asked for downgraded Windows version. For certain drivers, the only working versions could finally be found on the CD (or was it DVD) that came with the laptop. The downloadable ones had been just updated and they no longer supported the downgraded windows version.
I don't need them often, but it's simply more reliable to have several options. Obviously data is just data no matter the medium.

Having cloud systems is fine as additional option, but nothing you can rely on, vendors have taken downloads down often enough. Do I need software on an optical disc? If it's expensive I prefer to have it like this and be independent, otherwise I don't care.
But it's certainly easier to store optical discs reliably than doing so with hard disks, and having to make backups of original software as well.

I am a professional software developer, and I need to support various platforms. The faster I can get up and running without having to jump through other companies' processes, the better.

I have seen enough vendors change owners or changing licensing policy or simply not providing download options (or requiring annoying phone calls etc.).
It's all about efficiency.

P.S.: They could provide an SD-card or thumb drive stick or whatever. Now it only means I need to care for another data piece to backup in a reliable way.

Not an improvement!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:45:42 pm by petert »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf