Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Camera on sale for $499  (Read 10155 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_BTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Thermal Imaging Camera on sale for $499
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
Hi,
In this weeks Canadian Tire flyer

I have no idea what the specifications are. I will go to the store tomorrow and see what I can find out.
The regular price for this camera is $799.00

This the first time I have seen a thermal at $500.00

Jay_Diddy_B

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
Re: Thermal Imaging Camera on sale for $499
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:01 am »
If you look it up online, a user comment states (and I confirmed at the store) that the resolution of the thermal sensor is listed on the box as 12x16 pixels.

Here's the URL:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-maximum-thermal-imager-0574582p.html

Ed

Offline Jay_Diddy_BTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:55:14 am »
Hi,

The excitement is over  |O

with that resolution it is useless for electronics. :'(

The specifications are:

Specifications:

Thermal display resolution: 12X16 pixel array (interpolated)
Object temperature range: -20 to 300C
Field of view (FOV) of 12X16 array: 40 degrees horizontal
Internal memory: 64Mbit (x8) NAND flash
LCD size: 2.8 VGA LCD
LCD resolution: 320X240 pixels
Camera: 300K Pixel digital camera
Max. Relative humidity: 85%
Operating temperature: 0 to 40degrees C (32 to 104 degrees F)
Storage temperature -10 to 50 degrees C (14 to 122 degrees F)
Power supply: 4x “AA” batteries (included)

Thanks for looking it up Ed. :-+

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:05:40 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:14 am »
Can't say I'm surprised, I've been disappointed with every Mastercraft power/electrical tool I've used. If it's anything other than basic hand tools, I tend to avoid mastercrap. The warrenty is sweet, sure, but notning is more frustrating than snapping a socket/wrench halfway though a job.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:22:32 am »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:40:26 am »
I'm probably way too optimistic here, but anyone know whether the sensor actually has only 192 pixels or is it downsampled? Would be great if it could be "Mike'd"... >:D

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:47:44 am »
I'm probably way too optimistic here, but anyone know whether the sensor actually has only 192 pixels or is it downsampled? Would be great if it could be "Mike'd"... >:D

That would be nice, but why would they do that?

The sensor used in the IR-Blue is only 4x16 pixels and it looks like it costs about $50, even in large quantities. 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MLX90620ESF-BAB-000-TU/MLX90620ESF-BAB-000-TU-ND/3175237

Even if this Mastercraft Imager is only 12x16 pixels, the sensor cost will be a large part of the total parts cost.  A larger sensor would be even more expensive.  They wouldn't put a larger sensor in and then not use it.

This is the same wall that the MuOptics people slammed into.

Ed

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:17 am »
They wouldn't put a larger sensor in and then not use it.
You could say the same for Flir... although they do have higher-end models. I'm not so optimistic as to think there'd be a 320x240 in this one, but there's a better chance it could be a 32x24 or 64x48.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
The specs say 'interpolated' so its probably a 4x4 sensor.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 06:23:11 am »
They wouldn't put a larger sensor in and then not use it.
You could say the same for Flir... although they do have higher-end models. I'm not so optimistic as to think there'd be a 320x240 in this one, but there's a better chance it could be a 32x24 or 64x48.

I wasn't following the Flir threads so I didn't understand your comment.  Now I do!   :)  I really don't understand the economics of the Flir situation unless it's just a case of ripping off their customers by charging stupidly high prices for the top end units, even though the cost of production doesn't justify those prices.

I guess that the only way we will ever know is if someone does a teardown on one of these Mastercraft units.

Any volunteers?

Ed

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 04:41:30 pm »
This unit will be similar to that manufactures by IRISys in the UK.

IRISys designed and built a 16x16 pixel pyro-electric detector and placed it in a thermal camera called the IRI-1001. The camera used an Compaq PDA to process the data and display the images. The model was succeeded by the IRI-1011 which was basically a smarter looking case on the 1001 chassis. These were designed to be affordable thermal cameras when AGEMA was charging >$50,000 for their units.

With regard to interpolation, IRISys used a system where the temperature of the neighbouring pixels was used to determine whether the heat source was to the centre, left, right, above or below the primary pixel. Using this technique IRISys simulated a detector with 48x48 pixels. Interploation claimed a 96x96 pixel equivalent resolution.

The 1011 appears her with pics.

http://www.pat-training.co.uk/irisys_iri_1011_thermal.htm

Mike has owned one of the IRISys cameras and commented to me that its resolution was still inadequate for easy target recognition. This is more like a FLUKE VT02 but without the aid of the visual camera overlay.

Update. IRI 1001 and 1011 handbooks added for interest.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:52:34 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »
This unit will be similar to that manufactures by IRISys in the UK.

IRISys designed and built a 16x16 pixel pyro-electric detector and placed it in a thermal camera called the IRI-1001. The camera used an Compaq PDA to process the data and display the images. The model was succeeded by the IRI-1002 which was basically a smarter looking case on the 1001 chassis. These were designed to be affordable thermal cameras when AGEMA was charging >$50,000 for their units.

With regard to interpolation, IRISys used a system where the temperature of the neighbouring pixels was used to determine whether the heat source was to the centre, left, right, above or below the primary pixel. Using this technique IRISys simulated a detector with 48x48 pixels.

Mike has owned one of the IRISys cameras and commented to me that its resolution was still inadequate for easy target recognition. This is more like a FLUKE VT02 but without the aid of the visual camera overlay.

Update. IRI 1001 handbook added for interest.
The Irisys 16x16 product was originally designed for a specific customer who wanted to look for hot wheel bearings on a fleet of vehicles - it was probably just about up to that job but generally pretty useless. The sensor was one they already used in their people-counting products (where it is used un-shuttered as they only care about moving targets). The camera product used a spinning wheel shutter.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »
Canadian Tire has posted a video about their thermal camera.  It doesn't give much in the way of good close up pictures of the screen, but whatever.  :-\

Ed

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:29:49 pm »
The menu looks to be trying to emulate an iPhone  ::)

AA batteries as a power source ....nah, very old school.

In performance terms it appears to be more like the Fluke VT02/04 series than the FLIR E4. It is even described as a visual thermometer and not a thermal camera in the commentary. At least they are honest about it.

HOWEVER....this camera has a decent USB socket.....unlike the E4  >:(
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline bombledmonk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:42:09 pm »
The Panasonic Grid Eye is a similar 8x8 pyro-electric sensor.  The output can be interpolated  for a pretty effective thermal view.  Still, it's fairly limited as one might expect.  I've got one of these breakouts sitting here and it's a neat little toy if nothing else.
http://eewiki.net/display/projects/Panasonic+GridEYE+Breakout+Board+and+GUI
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:44:20 pm by bombledmonk »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf