Author Topic: Ratio Function On a Sencore FC-71  (Read 2949 times)

Offline DawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ratio Function On a Sencore FC-71
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »
How does this function work with a single input?

They're advertising hype made this function sound like a time saving addition. What does it do? I'm only familliar with ratio function on a two channel counter and don't really see how this would be a time saving feature for a product designed for working on consumer electronics or communications shops. I think this function is also found in their Autotracker scopes IIRC.

I don't have a FC-71 or have been able to find any operational information. I have an opportunity to purchase one at a pretty good price. I purchased a DVM56A from the same estate and for a DVM made back in '79, I have to admit I'm quite impressed with the unit's accuracy and build quality for a service instrument. I really don't need another counter, but this unit does have a built in audio scaler in two ranges that would make some audio measurements much easier.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
Re: Ratio Function On a Sencore FC-71
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:53:51 pm »
I'm guessing you feed the high frequency signal into the 1GHz input and the low frequency input into the 100MHz input and it tells you the ratio of the two signals. Not sure how often this would prove useful.

I guess a lot depends on what you want to use the instrument for and what performance level you need. Sencore isn't a brand name I would have on my shopping list for a counter though...

Offline DawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Ratio Function On a Sencore FC-71
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:30:49 am »
I really don't need another counter. I have Kiethely 776's on both benches. I've been trying to broaden out my test equipment a bit as I'm now pretty much retired and most of my equipment has been focused on RF maintainance and specialized.

Sencore often had novel tricks up their sleeves as productive instruments, not necessarly high end, but features that expedited servicing. It wasn't equipment I encountered much during my career where we either used lab equipment or high end test sets. I've picked up a few pieces and have to admit, their equipment made after the 80's must have gone through a transformation in QC. I'm looking at moving soon and might give a thought to doing some general service work including audio. Some of their analyzers begin to look appealing much as service monitors were to my past profession as well as some of their general test equipment.

From what I gather from a brochure, the ratio function is done with the same input and the unit itself is a single channel that's switched between an audio scaler, direct, and prescaler. The two inputs are one 50 ohm terminated and a high impedance input with a variable sensitivity amplifier/"de-noising" stage. Again, not sure what they're getting at. It's another one of their gimmicks they're famous for. From the few pieces I do own now, you do get to like their instruments and ingenuity with use. They do grow on you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf