Author Topic: UNI-T UT139C - measuring ceramic SMD capacitors  (Read 2197 times)

Offline mattekTopic starter

UNI-T UT139C - measuring ceramic SMD capacitors
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:38 pm »
Hello guys,
I recently bought this awesome multimeter. One of the reasons for equipping with device is very big range of capacity measurement - it should even handle picofarads. Unfortunately, I have problem with SMD ceramic capacitors. After desoldering them with hotair and trying to check theirs value, multimeter usually shows random value, then LCD says "OL". Already checked manual and this means, that capacitor has short-circuit or its value is out of range.
Anyone knows what could be wrong? Or am I doing something not properly?
Thanks 8)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT139C - measuring ceramic SMD capacitors
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:26:40 am »
As you stated, the capacitors you are trying to measure may be outside of its range or shorted.  For smaller parts you would need to use the REL mode.   This was the last one I bought reading down to 150pf.   I no longer have the 139C and can't tell you how low it could measure.   Just because the manual shows a 1pF res, I don't think you are going to read 1pF with it.   

https://youtu.be/zFvuigSS2Xk?t=1011

Hello guys,
I recently bought this awesome multimeter. One of the reasons for equipping with device is very big range of capacity measurement - it should even handle picofarads. Unfortunately, I have problem with SMD ceramic capacitors. After desoldering them with hotair and trying to check theirs value, multimeter usually shows random value, then LCD says "OL". Already checked manual and this means, that capacitor has short-circuit or its value is out of range.
Anyone knows what could be wrong? Or am I doing something not properly?
Thanks 8)

Offline mattekTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:16:17 pm »
Thank you for response.
I figured out what was wrong - totally forgot, that measuring takes few seconds. Multimeter instantly says "OL" in REL mode (which I was always using, needlessly), but in normal mode it displays "dot" while checking value. In this moment I thought that something had gone badly. That's why I started looking for help here.
In brief - did everything definitely too fast. Now I am able to check every capacitor I have 8)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:46:19 am »
Glad you got it sorted out.  It's not a bad little meter for the price.   I ran a couple of them and they are one of the most robust handhelds UNI-T offers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf