Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 719247 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2012, 06:24:51 pm »
Most cal labs would only get a meter in that is rack mounted, though you will find that avionics and military service units send all meters in for calibration, from hand held volt sticks ( yes, even a neon light voltstick will be verified that it is within the specified limits) up to a multimillion avionics test bench ( I drove the van it was in for a month, just to get the 40 year old Citroen van over the 1000km mark while the insides were away for the calibration cycle, otherwise the van did 1km per year) used to do full aircraft ground testing.

The value of calibration is that you can be sure the reading you took last year is the same as the reading you took this year, or that the error is known in both magnitude and polarity. The meter is often the cheapest part of the whole system, the value being in the history.

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »
Thankx "cuban8" & "DaveXRT" for clearing my doubts  :D.

Some more Qs

1>Are there any the trim-pots needed for calibrating each functions(1 for each) in this multimeter(Ut61-E) ?
     Actually I did it with my cheap multimeter ie; only on Dc volts but other than that there are no other trim-pots to calibrate resistance,Current,Capacitance & etc.           

2>Say for example one has high quality resistors with 0.1% tolerance & Caps,so setting as its base can it be calibrated as specs of the resistors as a base in(Ut-61E)

3>Suppose there are no trim-pots so what are the ways for calibration with out going to the labs ?

One more thing,What's the differences between these two ?

1>http://www.dinodirect.com/ut61e-modern-digital-multimeters.html?DDID=3520-616
2>http://www.dinodirect.com/multimeter-multifunction-digital-uni-t-ut61e.html?DDID=3520-616

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:33:31 am by dimitrioptimus »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »
dinodirect is just a dropshipper, so two companies might list the same product
Sorry to burst your bubble but calibration as it's calle$ it's not the calibration you are expecting,
it's just using something an order of magnitude more accurate to reference the values on the meter you are "calibrating"/
or using one of those multislope DAC HP/Agilent PSU's to give you the "calibrated" value shown on the certificate

Offline dinoboy

• Contributor
  • EE101
    • DC
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:17 am »
Thanks all for the explanation of the calibration and timing thing.. I do have reference sources like my Li-Ion rechargeable cells which all terminate at 4.200V from my new charger, the Nitecore Intellicharge i4 (by Sysmax Ind.).

2>http://www.dinodirect.com/multimeter-multifunction-digital-uni-t-ut61e.html?DDID=3520-616
I asked in Dinodirect presales chat, and they gave this answer:

Hope this helpz!!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2012, 01:15:07 am »
The meter is back on sale at DinoDirect. Using the cheaper listing of $56.99

Product Link

Then use the following coupon code to knock off 10%:
cheaper10off

This brings the total down to $51.29 shipped. Not quite the $46 or $49 it was previously but still quite a deal.

If you are a fatwallet member, they offer 5% cashback from dinodirect which would bring the meter back down to its $49 price point.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:22:01 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:49 am »
Its auto range is very fast, but when I measure some large resistance in the Meg range or whatever else a bit jumpy especially when the contact is not absolutely firm, it goes hunting cycles too fast and misses settling. Then I go hit manual mode and its OK. My Fluke 17B is slower but settles always in autorange. Is it just my sample or your 61E works the same guys?
I am happy with 61E's speed & accuracy and resolution in general, does very well with capacitors ref my LCR meter also.  Hitting RANGE again does not return to auto unless selecting some other function on the rotary and returning. Is there a DMM that cycles auto/manual with the dedicated button without need to engage the rotary? My Fluke 17B & Mastech MS8218 do not either.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:02:03 am by Salas »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »
Its auto range is very fast, but when I measure some large resistance in the Meg range or whatever else a bit jumpy especially when the contact is not absolutely firm, it goes hunting cycles too fast and misses settling. Then I go hit manual mode and its OK. My Fluke 17B is slower but settles always in autorange. Is it just my sample or your 61E works the same guys?
I am happy with 61E's speed & accuracy and resolution in general, does very well with capacitors ref my LCR meter also.  Hitting RANGE again does not return to auto unless selecting some other function on the rotary and returning. Is there a DMM that cycles auto/manual with the dedicated button without need to engage the rotary? My Fluke 17B & Mastech MS8218 do not either.

Hold the range button, it will return to auto
and, because it's got a crazy resistance range it's expected to go wild with such a range, but apparently mine doesn't jump about when the contact isn't all that good (tested with 1M,3.3M,10M and SMD 100M)

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34:21 pm »
Thanks, I held the RANGE button and it switched. :) Tried with the high value resistors again and I noticed that when touching with the probe tips it settles, but when holding down through hole resistor leads fitting in the before tip grooves, pressing down almost horizontally on the bench, the range dances much more. If there is a soft mat it locks easily. One nice thing I saw I could do is by PEAK at Pmax it can work as touch hold (for voltage & current). Nice. 8)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:43:25 pm by Salas »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2012, 04:13:45 am »
You can also use delayed hold by holding the Hold ... Holdception

Offline brucers

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »

One of these is priced at $56.99 and one is priced at $83.99. In the listed specs one says it has a display backlight and one doesn't mention it. And reading the customer reviews on the website, one reviewer says his DOES have a display backlight. Interestingly the one that lists the display backlight in the specs is the cheaper one.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2012, 10:38:46 pm »

One of these is priced at $56.99 and one is priced at $83.99. In the listed specs one says it has a display backlight and one doesn't mention it. And reading the customer reviews on the website, one reviewer says his DOES have a display backlight. Interestingly the one that lists the display backlight in the specs is the cheaper one.

You can't trust those reviews, they're loaded with bollocks. Prime example:
You need a special screw driver to get the back open and put the batteries in. I take batteries out after each use and put them in the refrigerator.

It has a single #2 phillips screw for the single 9V battery.

This is a great little meter. I bought it mainly for the ammeter to test leaky circuits on automotive applications. The meter is just the right size to clip over the battery cable and get a good reading. It has the right range for this application. Much less expensive than another meter I was looking at.

It is not a clamp meter.

The only real advanatge of this meter was size and the non-contact voltage measurement-which in my case is not a big deal. After purchasing this model I tried out the various functions and was very pleased with its performance. The three best features of this meter are [1] auto ranging (don't buy a meter without it), [2] the large easy to read display and [3] the display back light. This meter is simple to use and has handled anything I've thrown at it with ease.

It does not have non-contact voltage measurement, it does not have a backlight.

Those reviews are not of a UT61E.

Offline brucers

« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2012, 11:55:43 pm »
I have a question about the 'HOLD' function on the  UNI-T UT61E.  Does pressing the "HOLD" button  simply just freeze the display of  your last reading or can you press the "HOLD" button, then take a measurement, and then that measurement will be held?  Thanks in advance for any info. Bruce

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2012, 12:08:19 am »
Does pressing the "HOLD" button  simply just freeze the display of  your last reading or can you press the "HOLD" button, then take a measurement, and then that measurement will be held?

I just tried it.  Pressing HOLD during a reading freezes the displayed value.  Pressing it again releases the freeze.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:00 am »
Does pressing the "HOLD" button  simply just freeze the display of  your last reading or can you press the "HOLD" button, then take a measurement, and then that measurement will be held?

I just tried it.  Pressing HOLD during a reading freezes the displayed value.  Pressing it again releases the freeze.

You can also do a delayed hold. iirc it's a 5 second timer. Just hold the button until it beeps, and take a measurement until it beeps again.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2012, 12:15:48 am »
You can also do a delayed hold. iirc it's a 5 second timer. Just hold the button until it beeps, and take a measurement until it beeps again.

Ah, excellent.  Thanks for that.   :)

The manual that came with mine was not English.  I only got it a couple of days ago so haven't tried many of the features yet.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2012, 12:21:37 am »

Ah, excellent.  Thanks for that.   :)

The manual that came with mine was not English.  I only got it a couple of days ago so haven't tried many of the features yet.

The manual, such as it is, is available here: http://www.uni-trend.com/manual2/UT61English.pdf

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2012, 12:28:56 am »
Thanks for the manual link.  I see what you mean by "such as it is".  The delayed hold function isn't even mentioned.

The Hold mode is applicable to all measurement functions.
  • Press HOLD to enter Hold mode; the Meter beeps.
  • Press HOLD again to exit Hold mode; the Meter beeps.
  • In Hold mode, is displayed.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2012, 12:38:56 am »
Thanks for the manual link.  I see what you mean by "such as it is".  The delayed hold function isn't even mentioned.

The Hold mode is applicable to all measurement functions.
  • Press HOLD to enter Hold mode; the Meter beeps.
  • Press HOLD again to exit Hold mode; the Meter beeps.
  • In Hold mode, is displayed.

The datasheet for the IC contains a lot of useful information: http://www.cyrustek.com.tw/spec/ES51922.pdf

For example, if you hold the HOLD key while turning the meter on, all display segments will remain lit until you press the HOLD key again.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27:55 am »
The amazing thing is that it actually has a LPF ...
A dual slope ADC ... which again has high speed and high res mode ...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2012, 02:59:20 am »

Not that it's enabled on the UT61E.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2012, 03:03:29 am »

It is ... It's enabled!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:17 am »

It is ... It's enabled!

But you can't access it. FC5 needs to be brought low, the UT61E leaves it floating.

I'm pondering modifying mine to disable the RS232 output unless I actually plug the adapter in. If the trace is accessible I just need to cut it and put a microswitch in..

E: On second thought, I've just seen someone who's done that by adding an IR LED to the RS232 adapter and a phototransistor to the meter. Much neater, don't know what I was thinking.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:39:23 am by Monkeh »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:22 am »
UT61E arrived from Dino!
Oh man, the box came intact, unlike what i've seen from DX (Somebody was having a bad day indeed) or it might be because of the shipping methods ...
they changed my shipping to EMS without me having to pay extra
(Looks like the box had a revision ... the plastic tray holding the meter and probes is no longer opaque but a very nice transparent colour)
I should mention, the CD in which my meter came from DX broke into half

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »
Thanks, I held the RANGE button and it switched. :) Tried with the high value resistors again and I noticed that when touching with the probe tips it settles, but when holding down through hole resistor leads fitting in the before tip grooves, pressing down almost horizontally on the bench, the range dances much more. If there is a soft mat it locks easily. One nice thing I saw I could do is by PEAK at Pmax it can work as touch hold (for voltage & current). Nice. 8)

Just curious, is this the same salas who is a mod over at DIYAudio? I know kinda weird but just wodering.  ;D
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf