Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 719170 times)

LMedu and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BThunderW

• Regular Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #250 on: September 01, 2012, 03:36:19 am »
well, if you guys are willing to work with me on testing, I can definitely implement the protocol as per documentation.

Tom

I would love to see VC8145 included but apparently there's like no info on google that i can find  ???

http://sigrok.org/wiki/Victor_70C
http://sigrok.org/wiki/UNI-T_UT61D

And Victor 68E uses the same chipset as the UT61E

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:53 am »
well, if you guys are willing to work with me on testing, I can definitely implement the protocol as per documentation.

Tom

I would love to see VC8145 included but apparently there's like no info on google that i can find  ???

http://sigrok.org/wiki/Victor_70C
http://sigrok.org/wiki/UNI-T_UT61D

Don't worry about that, i don't have it now. I don't need it now either  :P
Why not implement a "in-program update" ?

Offline mianchen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #252 on: September 01, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »
After reading this thread from page 1 to 18, I  ended up on the DD site and ordered myself a 61E from DD for £33 :) Even Taobao sells UT61E for over 300 RMB (~£30, $50).

BTW "10offsale" code (found by googling) saves you 10% when check out, better than nothing at all :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:23:43 pm by mianchen »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2012, 05:32:01 pm »
After reading this thread from page 1 to 18, I  ended up on the DD site and ordered myself a 61E from DD for £33 :) Even Taobao sells UT61E for over 300 RMB (~£30, $50).

BTW "10offsale" code (found by googling) saves you 10% when check out, better than nothing at all :)

220 RMB lowest i saw ...

Offline BThunderW

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
Since UltraDMM is quickly expanding outside of the UT61E line,  I've created a new UltraDMM thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects-designs-and-technical-stuff/ultradmm-software-project/

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:56 am »
Some queries

1>If I purchase the UT61E from DD & use the 10% off coupon  then should I be eligible for the free shipping(registered post with tracking number) cuz it will be about  $ 49.491 & hence its be less than 50$.

2>In DD there are two skus for UT61E
ie; 1>SKU: A024000BTO--$56.99
     2>SKU: A2484000FN--$54.99
as discussed earlier the price difference is due to different suppliers,the first sku is marked as new,so is it the 1st sku is from the next version with Back-light led or with a auto-power off feature,or from new stock or a complete marketing gimmick ?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2012, 04:43:59 pm »
Some queries

1>If I purchase the UT61E from DD & use the 10% off coupon  then should I be eligible for the free shipping(registered post with tracking number) cuz it will be about  $ 49.491 & hence its be less than 50$.

2>In DD there are two skus for UT61E
ie; 1>SKU: A024000BTO--$56.99
     2>SKU: A2484000FN--$54.99
as discussed earlier the price difference is due to different suppliers,the first sku is marked as new,so is it the 1st sku is from the next version with Back-light led or with a auto-power off feature,or from new stock or a complete marketing gimmick ?

Huh? It's already established it's a error

Offline Ivanko1

• Contributor
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2012, 07:29:21 am »
I can't find any 68E on official site, can you get me URL? :)

If I'm right to undarstanding - no, that prices still there about 2-3 weeks. The manager's can give referal url with 10% off discount, and thats more then $50. I'm not seen any price on 61E below $50 with free shipping. :( :( :(

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2012, 12:32:02 pm »
I can't find any 68E on official site, can you get me URL? :)

If I'm right to undarstanding - no, that prices still there about 2-3 weeks. The manager's can give referal url with 10% off discount, and thats more then $50. I'm not seen any price on 61E below $50 with free shipping. :( :( :(

I think this is the official site of Victor 86E
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.china-victor.com%2Fcn%2Fproduct_data.aspx%3FClassID%3D168%26ID%3D128&act=url

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:38:48 pm by dimitrioptimus »

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:16 pm »
On comparison I found that VICTOR 86E wins in every department(by spec sheet) with Uni-t 61e,it has all the features that Uni-t has+some extra like Back Light(can see it in picture but they didn't  mentioned),autooff,rs232 usb,temp,new pc software & has a overall better accuracy,

But only thing I can't find is True RMS,with the given AC accuracy by spec sheet it perhaps has TRMS but not mentioned,whether it has same chip is also unknown.

I Don't know of this brand though,
So is this Dmm is better & more reliable that 61E,plz provide views suggestions & if something I overlooked.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »
Probably worse, given that it's from Victor and nobody got their hands on one
(Somebody nearly did but that extinct from EEVBlog Forums Greek guy kirikakos told him to "avoid" like dog's poo)

But yeah ... UNi-T is modest with their ratings, 0.1% is the least you can get from it and sometimes when UNi-T does things properly they miss out some features  :P
I will get a 86E for review in 1-2 months time, until then you can cross your fingers but i guess it should be TRMS because it is around the same price bracket

and it's the same chipset but who says the UNI-T doesn't have RS232 ... of course it has but it isn't "direct USB" ffs it's not an extra but a bonus because you don't need to bother with a frikkin' RS232 converter

Buying from a taobao agent is a big plus because i am getting massive price differences here ... due to no such thing as "free shipping"
Over at dinodirect ( which is the cheapest outside of taobao agents ) the UT61E costs 66SGD with the 10% discount
at taobao it costs 50$SGD w/ shipping

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »
For all those who have whined about the fuses:

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »
Ok, found sockets. I don't think i'm gonna upgrade the 1A fuse
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:03:58 pm by T4P »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Where did you find the sockets ? and the 1A fuse ...

It's a 500mA fuse. The range is only 220mA, no need for 1A. Both sockets and fuses are salvage from a dead meter, should be available from the likes of Digikey. The fuses certainly are. I had to file the pins down a bit for a couple of them, though, I think the mA range fuse is meant to be a 6.3x32 (like the Fluke 17B, actually), not 10x38.

I'll have to replace the 20A with a 10A one some time, although I may just see how hot things get with 20A going through it, it's a 22A range.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:57:03 pm by Monkeh »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »
For all those who have whined about the fuses:

My memory could be wrong (it often is, just ask my wife ;D) but I don't remember too many people complaining about the fuses on this device. I remember a LOT of complaints about the glass fuses in the 71 series. Also, since I am a bit of a n00b are you commenting that things got worse or are those better? I really don't know a damn thing about fuses heh.

As for the Victor, I don't know what to think about it. I do know that Victor, unlike Uni-T, is not bashful about overstating their capabilities. That alone is enough to make me trust Uni-T much more. Having compared the listed specs in the respective manuals seems that Victor specifies a tighter percent accuracy but the adds on a higher count number to the accuracy. Uni-T seems to allow wider % ranges but lower counts. Also, Uni-T seems to be very consistent with the number of counts. Most being in the single digits and not changing much across ranges. Victor though seems to allow double digit counts in the error and tends to change them a lot more from range to range. Additionally, when it comes to AC measurements, Uni-T tests 45Hz-1kHz and provides values and 1kHz to 10kHz, while Victor only specs the range from 40-400Hz. It almost looks to me that Victor is playing a bit fast and loose with the truth on many of these measurements. Especially when you consider the fact that they list their voltage accuracy at 0.05% and Cyrustek lists the non-linearity of the ES51922 measurement at 0.03%. This means that Victor is allowing only 0.02% error in the rest of the device for those measurements. Is it doable? Yeah, but would I trust a company like victor to do it?

Also, I was searching recently and check out this blue OEM version of the UT61E. I think it looks kinda slick, though I def like the red better.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:13:55 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »
Ok, found sockets. I don't think i'm gonna upgrade the 1A fuse

Not much point in spending money on it unless you're working with >50VDC. They're good up to 250VAC of course, and nothing higher voltage AC is going to be drawing puny currents like that (generally).

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »
My memory could be wrong (it often is, just ask my wife ;D) but I don't remember too many people complaining about the fuses on this device. I remember a LOT of complaints about the glass fuses in the 71 series. Also, since I am a bit of a n00b are you commenting that things got worse or are those better? I really don't know a damn thing about fuses heh.

Oh, there's been whining about the usage of BS1362 fuses, and plenty of it..

These fuses are an upgrade. In price, too, they're about £5 each to change, vs about 30p for the originals. But I happen to have a couple of spares.

Offline Ivanko1

• Contributor
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
On comparison I found that VICTOR 86E wins in every department(by spec sheet) with Uni-t 61e
Very similar to this http://www.proskit.com/test-instruments/multimeters/dual-display-digital-multimeter-w-usb-connector
But if no TRMS - it'not worth it, I think. :-\

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:50 am »

Also, I was searching recently and check out this blue OEM version of the UT61E. I think it looks kinda slick, though I def like the red better.

There's no "OEM" version, just restamped custom versions
There are even green versions of the 61E
On comparison I found that VICTOR 86E wins in every department(by spec sheet) with Uni-t 61e
Very similar to this http://www.proskit.com/test-instruments/multimeters/dual-display-digital-multimeter-w-usb-connector

OK : Declaration
Stay away from the VC86E, even the local chinese don't like the quality at all

I just saw the V&A VA30S but that's no where to be found
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:39:04 am by T4P »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2012, 06:45:39 pm »

There's no "OEM" version, just restamped custom versions
There are even green versions of the 61E

OK : Declaration
Stay away from the VC86E, even the local chinese don't like the quality at all

I just saw the V&A VA30S but that's no where to be found

That's basically what I meant when I said OEM. Just rebadged.

As for the VA30S the stats in general seem to be a wash with the UT61E. ACV stats seem to be better overall, with ACA being more or less equivalent. DCV Stats seem to be uniformly worse, DCA stats are better. Resistance is definitely worse than the UT61E. Capacitance is markedly better (albeit at much higher count error). Frequency error is much worse (0.05%+8) versus 0.01%+4 for the Uni-T.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #271 on: September 06, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »
Still avoiding that one . i know the MS8240D exists but it seems nobody sells it  :'(
Plus it uses every single function of the ES51922! Too bad then  :'( :'( :'(

Oh yeah monkeh, i was thinking of installing MOVs where the sparkgap footprint is, should i go for 1.5kVDC max MOVs or 890VDC max MOVs? (Obviously their clamping voltage is different)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »
Oh yeah monkeh, i was thinking of installing MOVs where the sparkgap footprint is, should i go for 1.5kVDC max MOVs or 890VDC max MOVs? (Obviously their clamping voltage is different)

Ask someone familiar with input protection. ;)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #273 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
I don't know anyone who does  :(

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »
What is the max voltage that you will use the meter for? I would go for the 890V units, that will cover most mains applications aside from ferroresonant units, where you will pop the meter anyway on the 1.5kV typical of the separate tank coils.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf