Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 719165 times)

Offline snowsnee

Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #825 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:09 am »

Looks different on the lower half not seen this on other sites new I think. Edit :  Note ..........Posted on Jan. 2015 this site page 52 of this post, never saw it.

Edit: On the calibration VR1 VDC VR ( teeter totters ) might be Ok for others sometimes rocks inside like, looking to change to post saying stays right till you use for awhile. 2 resistors 1K and 500 ohm variable resistor testing it before an after installation replacement. 4 LEDS for both also ordering for exterior switch installation for back-light.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:10:49 am by snowsnee »

Offline ewetho

« Reply #826 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:43 am »
My new UT61E meter has that latest board layout with the 3 PTCs too.

Offline ewetho

« Reply #827 on: February 08, 2015, 06:14:27 am »
If one were to wish to fill SG1, SG2, SG3, and SG4 with MOVs any suggestions as to what to get brand and rating?

Offline snowsnee

« Reply #828 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:28 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:00:07 pm by snowsnee »

Offline snowsnee

« Reply #829 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:29 am »

Yes its better now- glad I waited here my 2 after adjustment. VR1 DC is really touchy going change to a 25 turn variable or resistors and the 50 or 500 ohms variable studying.
Edit best of a post here. Studying Schematic: UT61E.

Copied from post here: I see that you did Chinese external Vref mod and replace the VR1 2k trimpot with two resistors and an 50Ohm trimpot, as this mod improve the calibration and stability?
 Thanks ! David
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:05:12 pm by snowsnee »

Offline snowsnee

« Reply #830 on: February 13, 2015, 07:21:36 pm »

Carefully battery 9Volts negative hookup (V+ circle look) could negative . I did it by accident at the wrong angle to see Neg. sign no blow up did burns some parts on another UT61E this post mine took it fine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:25:41 am by snowsnee »

Offline dinoboy

• Contributor
  • EE101
    • DC
« Reply #831 on: June 01, 2015, 04:36:44 am »
Just a heads up for everyone who uses the logging capability (btw, i use ultradmm.com):

I did long time logging of UT61E thru the original USB cable UT-D04 (purchased from official UNI-T distributor) because i had lost the original serial cable. My logged data ended corrupt because in the Excel file there were missing lines (data rows). If the Excel file has 216,000 rows, then this would equal a time period of 108,000 seconds or 1800min or 30hrs. Check the time stamp of the first row and compare it with the time stamp of the 216000th row. The difference in time should be exactly 30hrs.

This was not true with my brand new UT-D04 data cable, which meant that the file was incomplete, which i was able to verify.

So i bought the original spare part, it is called UT-D02 and can be referenced from here:
http://www.uni-trend.com/en/product/list_370_1.html

With this serial cable, i am getting the complete log, all 216000 rows for a time period of exactly 30hrs.

This may also be the explanation why UNI-TREND continues to package/ship the retail UT61E box with the serial cable and not the USB cable.

O0

The following users thanked this post: Caliaxy

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #832 on: June 01, 2015, 09:01:02 am »
Have you seen this backlight mod?     :)

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #833 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:45 am »
Hi guys, new here.
I have some basic knowledge about electronics but I do have enough experience with soldering and building things (although I often have no clue what I'm actually doing.)
I'd like to put a backlight in my UT61E without using the chip of the meter itself and I want to keep it dead simple. There are loads of dirt cheap touch sensor switches on eBay and my plan is to put one at the top inside of the meter and switch two 3528 LEDs with it (Like in the post above this one but that seems unnecessarily complicated). The switch needs 2.2 to 5.5V so my question is where on the circuit board can I get that voltage from without interfering with the measurements? If not possible there's always the way to take it straight from the battery but that's not very practical since the LED's could be switched on even if the meter is turned off.
Also, what's the very thin wire called that's often used for things like these? It looks to be very thin single strand bare copper wire but it's insulated with enamel. I'm trying to source it but it's hard when you don't know what it's called.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:44:29 am by Nisei »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #834 on: July 27, 2015, 01:55:12 am »
Hi guys, new here.
I have some basic knowledge about electronics but I do have enough experience with soldering and building things (although I often have no clue what I'm actually doing.)
I'd like to put a backlight in my UT61E without using the chip of the meter itself and I want to keep it dead simple. There are loads of dirt cheap touch sensor switches on eBay and my plan is to put one at the top inside of the meter and switch two 3528 LEDs with it (Like in the post above this one but that seems unnecessarily complicated). The switch needs 2.2 to 5.5V so my question is where on the circuit board can I get that voltage from without interfering with the measurements? If not possible there's always the way to take it straight from the battery but that's not very practical since the LED's could be switched on even if the meter is turned off.
You want to trace the VBAT going into the selector switch and find where it comes out. Chances are it will go to a 5V or 3V regulator and that is where you can source the proper current for your LEDs.
Also, what's the very thin wire called that's often used for things like these? It looks to be very thin single strand bare copper wire but it's insulated with enamel. I'm trying to source it but it's hard when you don't know what it's called.
Well, I've always known it as "enameled copper wire" but I think it is more popularly known as "magnet wire". Just make sure you use an adequate gauge if you are using it for high currents (like bright LEDs)

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #835 on: July 27, 2015, 12:24:44 pm »
You want to trace the VBAT going into the selector switch and find where it comes out. Chances are it will go to a 5V or 3V regulator and that is where you can source the proper current for your LEDs.
Hm, that would work if I knew what a regulator looked like... :)
So you can't tell from the schematic where on the board I can find a 3V or 5V connection that can be used for this?

Well, I've always known it as "enameled copper wire" but I think it is more popularly known as "magnet wire". Just make sure you use an adequate gauge if you are using it for high currents (like bright LEDs)
Hey thanks! Appreciate your help. Any idea what would be a reasonable gauge? I have no experience with such thin wires.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:28:26 pm by Nisei »

Offline lefedor

« Reply #836 on: August 01, 2015, 10:31:33 am »
Hello guys, can You please help me with the question about this multimeter.
Have briefly red this topic but strangely haven't fount the answer.
There are major negativity about unit's weak input protection.
I have old revision and want upgrade it's input protection. There are SG1/SG2 empty places on PCB and also reviewers often mentions that PTC could have better nominal (there also 2 of them). Those are really cheap and accessible parts.
So, question is: can anybody please recommend nominals for this unit?

I ask about 2 PTC's and 2 MOV's (and may be there should be 1-2 extra?) I could solder to this PCB:

BTW, Also I think upgrade fuses from 250V to 600V version, but this is different story and after this mod unit price will raise close to the fluke version, but what would You do, I own 61E already.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #837 on: August 01, 2015, 05:22:35 pm »
I would only put in some MOVs or spark gaps in the empty places. This could affect the accuracy of the capacitance function a little. The most common failure mode for the UT61E seems to be high voltage getting through and killing the main chip so the over voltage protection would be a good idea. I would look for 1kV or 1.5kV MOVs, or you can put lower ones in series too although that is not ideal. Don't bother changing the PTCs IMHO. Changing the fuses does not necessarily make the meter any safer. If the rest of the design cannot handle a sudden voltage spike if a fuse blows under with very high energy behind it the insides can still flash over and explode anyway. Actually the GS version of this model is de-rated compared to your version and it has all the proper input protections installed. I would not bother with the fuses neither but keep your wits about you when using the meter.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #838 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:45 am »
New UT61E, images here.  PCB layout different to some, no VREF LT1970 pads on PCB...sigh!

Also, 1st stupid question...the "Data Output in progress" Icon is "on" the LCD all the time.  Manual seemed to indicate I could turn this off by holding the REL button for over 2 seconds.  Doesn't change icon!  Is this RS232 data out?

I'm starting to look at the vids and other images appear to indicate this is on all the time?  Is this right?  Sorry if it's been done to death!
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #839 on: August 10, 2015, 10:34:29 am »
The icon is always on, because the meter is always sending data.

Read the IC datasheet (should be here in the thread somewhere, if not google it), the chip has this data logging feature that can be turned on or off through some pins but on ut61e it's configured by uni-t as always on.  When datalogging is enabled, the auto power off is disabled and so on.   

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #840 on: August 10, 2015, 09:37:24 pm »
The icon is always on, because the meter is always sending data. .....

Thanks.....kinda guessed it was this but thought it best to ask.

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #841 on: August 16, 2015, 03:43:29 pm »
Done!
Cost me less than a dollar :)

https://youtu.be/EHStaKB0BwI

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #842 on: August 18, 2015, 06:42:36 am »
I like it!!! Pics of internal wiring?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:45:58 am by george graves »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #843 on: August 18, 2015, 07:45:21 am »
Niesi...saw you post on capacitive touch...nice...can you post cct and parts?   The Audio forum requires login ...I have so many I'm reluctant for more for one look.

Many thanks and well done!

Brendan

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #844 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:07 am »
It looks like he did something a bit different then that DIY audio post.  Yes, details would be great - would love to write about it for hackaday.

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #845 on: August 18, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »
I've started a separate thread about it: click

Offline naughtilus

• Contributor
  • If it ain't broke, fix it anyway.
« Reply #846 on: August 23, 2015, 07:41:38 am »
If we neglect the fact of the price difference and
the fact that I am working on voltages below 230V and
did never use temperature measurement with my UT70A,
would you (or others) still go for the UT139C?

If yes, why?

-Didix

Hi, since i own the both multimeters, here's my 2 cents:
The UT61E feels much more responsive, the autoranging speed is faster than the UT139C, especially for measuring resistance. The continuity tester is also slightly faster on the UT61E. If you ever need data logging capabilities (i do) the UT61E comes in really handy. I have used this multimeter with voltages up to 220 V AC while doing some basic electrical maintenance without a problem. On the other hand, the UT139C has better input protection, backlight, temperature measuremenr (only 1 degree resolution), NCV, low pass filter, and current clamp capability (up to 60A) which comes in handy while doing electrical work. I use this meter mainly while i am on field work working on automation equipment and cabinets. Having said all that, the UT61E is better suited in lab environments working with "low voltage" electronics e.g. MCU's, PLC's or other types of digital control (or similar) ELECTRONICS, while the UT139C is better suited for ELECTRICAL work. If the missing data logger and the slightly slower autoranging of the UT139C are not a deal breaker for you, go for that one. Both meters are great value for money so you won't make a mistake with either of them.

Hi Goce,

The continuity tester on the 139C is lightning fast and latched. Only issue is if you have pitted and/or dirty leads, which they usually are even when new out of the box. Cleaning them with contact spray helps a lot.

The 139C is definitely for electrical work and not so much for electronics. UT61E is the champion in that domain.
...or is it?

Offline naughtilus

• Contributor
  • If it ain't broke, fix it anyway.
« Reply #847 on: August 23, 2015, 08:50:09 am »
Actually if I understand things correctly, the GS version is sold in Germany and it has a different design. The GS version has better input protection but has a lower CAT rating. The information is here on the forum somewhere and in this thread I think.

After having both the UT61E and the UT139C I recommend the UT139C instead, if you don't need the PC connection.

LA, did you try the 5000V insulation tester on your 139C? 
...or is it?

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #848 on: August 23, 2015, 09:02:38 am »
Done!
Cost me less than a dollar :)

https://youtu.be/EHStaKB0BwI

Excellent mod!  If you don't mind me asking, what probes are those?

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #849 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:09 pm »
Excellent mod!  If you don't mind me asking, what probes are those?

Those look like Fluke TL175.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf