Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 719324 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 04:15:24 am »
This thread convinced me that this was a great device for me as a hobbyist. I wanted something a bit better in quality than what I had been using (which was mainly cheap crap). Additionally, the price being what it was finished the deal. DinoDirect right now has it for $46.39 shipped, Link, initially $56.39 but add the coupon code LikeDX10 to get $10 off that price. Which to me is a great deal for the features is does have. I am not an EE by any means (materials science/nanotech/inorganic chemist by training) so it should work great for my hobby uses.

Additionally, I must say I do additionally appreciate the comments from those discussing the safety aspects and the good/bad quality aspects. I have lurked in this forum quite a bit just reading comments on different devices. As a noob I still have to google a lot of details but I'm getting there.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 04:49:05 am »
This thread convinced me that this was a great device for me as a hobbyist. I wanted something a bit better in quality than what I had been using (which was mainly cheap crap). Additionally, the price being what it was finished the deal. DinoDirect right now has it for $46.39 shipped, Link, initially $56.39 but add the coupon code LikeDX10 to get $10 off that price. Which to me is a great deal for the features is does have. I am not an EE by any means (materials science/nanotech/inorganic chemist by training) so it should work great for my hobby uses.

Additionally, I must say I do additionally appreciate the comments from those discussing the safety aspects and the good/bad quality aspects. I have lurked in this forum quite a bit just reading comments on different devices. As a noob I still have to google a lot of details but I'm getting there.

Have you only just ordered from them or have you received your delivery? Have you used them before? What's the service like?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 05:28:16 am »

Have you only just ordered from them or have you received your delivery? Have you used them before? What's the service like?

Just ordered. To be honest I haven't used them before but I do know they are thought of in a similar vein as DealExtreme and FocalPrice. Take that for what its worth.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 05:43:01 am »

Just ordered. To be honest I haven't used them before but I do know they are thought of in a similar vein as DealExtreme and FocalPrice. Take that for what its worth.

Cheers. I might take a risk and get one too. Price is much lower than anyone is offering on eBay.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »
I couldn't resist one either  :)

Great deal, thanks for the link and discount code.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
I couldn't resist one either  :)

Great deal, thanks for the link and discount code.

Yeah thanks Pedro!

Lets hope they show up!  :P

I had a look at the data sheet for the chip the meter uses but could not determine the current limit for the back light pin. Anyone have an idea?
Don't drone me bro!

Offline sdttnTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »
Good deal. I can't find any other lower price. I am going to order it.
Thanks for the code.
I sold the meter which I modified.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
Dino Direct emailed me today and informed me that the UT61E order has been despatched and that they will supply a tracking number in the next day or two. All very professional  :)

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:08 pm »
Same here. They also sent me a picture of my item at dispatch. Not sure its actually mine though  :P

Also, I got the standard free shipping to Aus so it will be interesting to see what the shipping times are like with other members here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:44:27 pm by SimRacer »
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 11:55:53 pm »
Yes the picture was an interesting touch  :)

I attach my picture so you can see if it's a genuine feature of their despatch system or just a gimmick.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:58:24 pm by Aurora »

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
Yes the picture was an interesting touch  ;)

I attach my picture so you can see if it's a genuine feature of their despatch system or just a gimmick.

Your image is slightly different to mine, but just very slight things like the alignment of the banner and meter itself. Maybe it is the actual product. Interesting concept.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:02:11 am by SimRacer »
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 12:04:21 am »
Your box has a bit of paper on it or possibly minor box damage. It looks like their despatch system snaps every item....very novel and I suppose their way of trying to prove they actually have the items rather than a scam.

Looking forward to the arrival of the meter...but to be honest I need another like a hole the the head ! There must be a medical term for people like me who 'collect' more test equipment than they can possibly use on a daily basis  :o ....and no that is not an open invitation to call me names  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:18:59 am by Aurora »

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 12:09:04 am »
Yep I did notice that rip/paper also. I wish these guys sold a bigger range of gear like Rigol etc cos the prices are great. If this thing actually arrives I think I might get another one so I can replace my crappy Jaycar meter im stuck with at the moment. Still in the process of putting a lab together but finding test gear has been a fun experience, just need a power supply and function gen now.....the search continues.
Don't drone me bro!

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
My order status is still "Order paid".   >:(

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:41 am »

Did they send you an email telling you that it was sent? I had to check with them on live chat to see what was going on because I got sent an email but the portal was showing only "order paid". According to customer service there are a few customers experiencing this.
Don't drone me bro!

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:25 am »

Did they send you an email telling you that it was sent? I had to check with them on live chat to see what was going on because I got sent an email but the portal was showing only "order paid". According to customer service there are a few customers experiencing this.

No, they did not. I also didn't send an e-mail.
Should I send an e-mail?

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:44 am »

No, they did not. I also didn't send an e-mail.
Should I send an e-mail?

Jump on the live chat with them. Log into the portal and there is a link for it under customer service.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline SteveLuck

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:10 am »
As per Dave's advice on lab set up I ordered two UN61C a few days ago.  Looked like a pretty close match to the UNT meter that did well in his $100 shootout.

I also bought from the same source - Dino Direct.  I've got a cute picture of one meter siting in a basket (maybe its on top of the second one  :)  ) I've got a  tracking number for EMS tracking that links to a google map that shows the meters still sitting in some sort of handling or sorting centre in China.

Have a good look at Dino Direct many of the prices are very close with different specs.  The UN61C seems to list a lot more functions than the UT61E and have a slightly bigger screen for less money (Not much less) maybe its less accurate. Doesn't require a backlight hack though.

I'd love to see a review of some of the oscilloscope type multimeters available.   Desk top and storage space is at a premium small has a lot of appeal over accuracy at a beginner level.

(Edit - its the Dino site that causes confusion over specs see www.uni-trend.com to compare model specs and accuracy more easily)  UN61C comes with temp probe but lower accuracy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:16:50 am by SteveLuck »

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
(Edit - its the Dino site that causes confusion over specs see www.uni-trend.com to compare model specs and accuracy more easily)  UN61C comes with temp probe but lower accuracy.

Another difference is that the UT61E is a true RMS meter where the UT61C is not.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 04:30:53 am »
I ordered one too.  Thanks also for the link and discount code.

Will be nice to have a meter with an extra digit of resolution to add to my collection.

Cheers,
Troy

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:55 am »
is this unit better then the Voltcraft VC-270?

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 07:55:40 am »
is this unit better then the Voltcraft VC-270?

The UT-61E is a 22,000 count meter whereas the VC270 is a 4,000 count.  Also the UT-61 is a true RMS meter. 

Also according to the specs it seems to have better accuracy than the VC270 in some modes.

For the price it seems a good buy.  I'll report back when I get mine!

Cheers, Troy

Offline vtl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:23 am »
How exaggerated are the specs? $70 for a 22,000 count meter at 0.1% DC volts sounds like pretty good value.

Its wierd how variable the quality of UNI-T is though. The $130 UT-71 meter looks like its got incredible specs at 0.025% but teardowns show a pretty average board with glass fuses
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:57:44 am by vtl »

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »
Who said that is mandatory that 0.025% DMM's should be rated at least CATIII and have HRC fuses?
Maybe there is a market for less protected meters used in let's say, microcontroller bussiness for less than 5V powered boards.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »
It's not just that the UT71 series have glass fuses and little input protection, it's that mine came 0.4% out of accuracy.

It IS rated CAT IV 600V and CAT III 1000V by UNI-T...... It will not withstand that for sure so I believe it to be an outright lie on their part that it is actually rated for what they say.

So yes, the quality and design of the UNI-T meters is variable, and that is quite the understatement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf