Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 719193 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:13 pm »
Uh-Oh ! Don't get me started  ;D

The Uni-Trend UT804 bench multimeter is a total sheep in wolf's clothing, or to put it in a more crude manner, its a pile of POO !

I am unfortunate enough to own two brand new units.... They are still sat in their boxes under my bench. Both have intermittant faults and contain what can only be described as an average multimeter PCB bolted into the front of a large case. Not one of Uni-Trend's finest moments ! Fortunately the two meters ended up costing me postage only after I complained about the quality to the supplier.... he didn't even want them back....that speaks volumes.

To offset the above comments, I own the following Uni-T kit (and I'm not bragging here...its cheap enough to own lots !)  ;)

UT12A (mains electricity safety safety essential - came free with my UT-81B DSO)
UT33B (5 off bought for GBP3 each !) Good for the car glove compartment.
UT39A (a decent daily workhorse in my home office)
UT58C (everyday workhorse in and around the home)
UT61E (en route to me)
UT70B (Large meter, happy with the performanace and PC interface included)
UT81B (Love it... 40Ms/s DSO, well built & does what it says on the tin. It outperforms my Velleman HPS140i)
UT105 (for automotive work on my Mini Moke - nice big display)
UT201 (well I didn't have an Amper-clamp at the time is was bought....not used it yet !)
UT603 (Decent enough LC meter)
UT804 (The word Crap comes to mind !)
UTD1025C (en route to me - looks nice and was bought cheaply as one channel dead - hopefully repair possible)
UTG9010C (arrived today - looks nice. Initial thoughts are its OK for the price but not as good as my Digimess/Grundig FG100).
UTL17 (the tweezers for SMD LCR checking...work well)

The only one that I have in my possession that fell below my buying expectations (price Vs performance) was the UT804....not a bad ratio really. I own Fluke bench meters and an 87 III and I would not expect the Uni-T products to be equal in view of their price point....BUT there is no excuse for a totally crap or dangerous UNI-T design as they have shown that they can build decent kit.

They look and feel good in the hand, lets hope that the contents of the cases keep up with the looks in terms of performance. If you buy some other Far Eastern built multimeter's, in the lower price bracket, it soon becomes evident how well UNI-T is packaging their product...others often have cheap nasty cases with moulding faults, flash and appalling mode selectors.

UNI-Trend....when they get it right, they are very good value especially for hobbyists.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:33:07 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53:47 am »
I just reviewed Uni-Trend's UTG9010C in this message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6238.msg81339#msg81339

Not great  :(  1990's technology, poorly implimented.

It appears to me that the 'handheld' and 'bench' equipment lines are different divisions within Uni-Trend. The 'bench' division need to up their game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:24:23 pm by Aurora »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 06:07:49 pm »
I just reviewed Uni-Trend's UTG9010C in this message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6238.msg81339#msg81339

Not great  :(  1990's technology, poorly implimented.

It appears to me that the 'handheld' and 'bench' equipment lines are difrefent divisions within Uni-Trend. The 'bench' division need to up their game.

Wow, I am glad that some people were interested. I was kinda worried about coming off like a spammer since my first post was linking to a deal. LOL

Anyways, still waiting on mine, thats the biggest thing that sucks about ordering from chinese dealers.  Having to wait a couple weeks to get your stuff.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline sdttnTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »
My order still waiting I tried to contact them via "live chat". I can't get any reasonable answer from dinodirect.

I added two ribbon cables for my old samsung phones to my order. May be, they are reason of delay.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »
Dino Direct have shipped my unit and provided a valid tracking number as promised so you should be OK with them.

Aurora

Offline SteveLuck

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:52 am »
One Pair UT61C's received today here in NZ from Dino direct

Manual, Packaging ect all in Chinese  but software in English and Chinese.   English manual available on the Uni-T web site so no bother at all.

The wires going into the plugs on the temp probe are a bit skinny and vulnerable looking, other than that it's built like a brick out house.

Back light is excellent and improves the contrast no end - only stays on long enough for you to take a reading though.

Should do fine for newbie!

Cheers

Steve

(Bugger it! no Serial port to USB adapter included)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:09:27 am by SteveLuck »

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 07:50:22 am »
Where can i find a comparison of A, B, C, D and E? What has one that the other does not have.

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
Where can i find a comparison of A, B, C, D and E? What has one that the other does not have.

Well the E model is true RMS and has best accuracy.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline SteveLuck

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56:34 am »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:07 am »
Ref the serial port to USB adapter....

I saw the official optional USB lead the other day....it has the optical link on one end and the standard USB 'A' plug at the other so its a pucka job, not just an adapter. The price was a shock though .... GBP28 !

I think one of the half decent Chinese USB to Serial adapters will be more than good enough for the uni-directional data link from the meter  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 09:16:38 am »
http://www.uni-trend.com/HDM_UT61.html

The best one is UT61E in the UT61 series.

Pros.
Fast auto ranging, fast respond buzzer, 22 000 count max display, True RMS.

Cons.
No temp measurment, no backlight (no matter you can add it :) )

Edit: True RMS.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:18:48 am by sdttn »

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 09:31:01 am »
It's bad that it does not has backlight, for me personaly true RMS is not usefull. More important is the PC software. I am curious what the minimum sample interval is.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:52:29 am by shebu18 »

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 03:27:02 pm »
It's bad that it does not has backlight, for me personaly true RMS is not usefull. More important is the PC software. I am curious what the minimum sample interval is.
2 reading per second on pc software.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 03:56:19 pm »
For some logging it is ok.

Offline dith77

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17:42 pm »
First of all, a big "thanks" for the amazing knowledge you offer in this forum (as this is my first post!!!)

Has anyone, - ever - received an item from DinoDirect???
I saw this thread and ordered UT61E (thanks PedroDaGr8 for the tip), and later discovered many bad reviews for this site.....
Do you think there is any chance to receive anything from them????  ;D

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »
First of all, a big "thanks" for the amazing knowledge you offer in this forum (as this is my first post!!!)

I saw this thread and ordered UT61E (thanks PedroDaGr8 for the tip), and later discovered many bad reviews for this site.....
SteveLuck in this thread already did and received his (he is in NZ though so it won't take as long). Keep in mind this is a chinese site. YOu will see a lot of bad reviews about not receiving orders because it can take 3+ weeks for a shipment to come in. People get antsy and the chinese haven't quite figured out customer service yet. Combine that and boom, lots of bad ratings.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:29:14 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos/backlight hack.
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
Looking at the backlight hack and reading the ES51922 data sheet the hold button might not be the best to use.

According to the data sheet there is a delayed hold function - press hold for > 2 seconds and the meter will wait 6 seconds before holding the display. Sounds as though it could be useful when you can't look at the display and get the probes on the measurement point. Hold also provides a display test if held for > 2 seconds as the meter is powered on.

Neither of these are mentioned in the UT61E user manual.

Why they didn't just put the extra two buttons for backlight and min/max so that all the functions of the chip could be used - it's not as if that would have lost market differentiation with the UT71 models.

"Range" might be the most useless button out of what's there.

Offline dith77

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
SteveLuck in this thread already did and received his (he is in NZ though so it won't take as long). Keep in mind this is a chinese site. YOu will see a lot of bad reviews about not receiving orders because it can take 3+ weeks for a shipment to come in. People get antsy and the chinese haven't quite figured out customer service yet. Combine that and boom, lots of bad ratings.

I hope delay will be the only problem with DinoDirect!!!! I read many bad reviews concerning wrong items, non refunding, not recieving at all etc. Let's hope SteveLuck didn't use his "luck" part to get the item!!!!  ;D

Last time I ordered something from DealExtreme (same thing) took 3 months to receive (Greece)!!!!
But I thing it has nothing to do with chinese people or chinese post. Chinese items from ebay usually arrives within 1 month max....
So maybe these sites have some delay getting the "real thing" from their suppliers, and then send it out for posting.

Offline dith77

Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos/backlight hack.
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
Why they didn't just put the extra two buttons for backlight and min/max so that all the functions of the chip could be used - it's not as if that would have lost market differentiation with the UT71 models.

"Range" might be the most useless button out of what's there.

I think the hack "sdttn" suggests, can use any key (or not??).

I would try to figure out how an extra button like this can be used instead (at the back of the case preferably)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x6x9mm-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-x20-/130579769881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67292a19#ht_3204wt_972

If the chip has the potencial, then the only reason not to use it, is the limitation of the casing (ALL ut61 series use the same case). We can't change the case, but we can drill a nice hole on it!!!

Offline roguegaston

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:51 pm »
Does anyone know if the UT61E will work with the QtDMM application?  http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm.html
Or, does anyone know of any other Linux applications that will work?

I just ordered a UT61E from DinoDirect.  I was going to get the Radio Shack one, but I figure I can always pick one of those up too.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »

i took a gamble on a order from dino direct a year or two ago... they had a $50 or so charger incorrectly listed for $7. they honored every order placed before they caught the error. i received the charger a few weeks later in good order.

from what i gather they are hit & miss though...  they do participate on the forum at rcgroups.com so there is a level of accountability over there. i don't shop there out of principle. their site is obnoxious and difficult to browse. the fake user reviews are unacceptable imo. if someone posts another crazy deal like the charger, im not so jaded that i won't place a order, i just don't deliberately look for stuff there.
-sj

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
Does anyone know if the UT61E will work with the QtDMM application?  http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm.html
Or, does anyone know of any other Linux applications that will work?

I just ordered a UT61E from DinoDirect.  I was going to get the Radio Shack one, but I figure I can always pick one of those up too.

Thanks,

Jason

There is a German guy, he wrote linux app for this meter.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »
My UT61E, ordered on 2 January 2012, has arrived today in perfect condition  :)

Upon opening the padded envelope I found a brand new unopened official Uni-Trend box intended for the Chinese speaking world. The instructions are in Chinese but that is not a problem as an English manual may be downloaded from Uni-Trend.
All other features of the meter are in English.

I must say the quality of the unit is as nice as my other Uni-T meters and I especially like the neat little R/C/Temp and transistor tester adapter that plugs into the meters 4mm ports  :) This meters design appears well engineered and executed.

Pictures attached.

From this personal experience of Dino Direct, I have absolutely no complaints. The communications were excellent and they delivered the required product in a very reasonable time frame.  Good-on-ya Dino Direct.   

Oh, and they supply a free 'cable tidy' fish for chargers and headphoned etc...in red of course  :)
Aurora
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:04:53 pm by Aurora »

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 11:21:29 pm »
Great to hear it showed up and you are happy with the quality. I placed my order on the same day but have not yet received mine. What shipping option did you use?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:23:58 pm by Teknotronix »
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:41 pm »
The cheapest China Post + insurance  :)

I didn't go EMS or courier.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf