Author Topic: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST  (Read 117248 times)

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, I've been asked to Post a SOLUTION to...

HACKING THE RIGOL DS2000A SERIES OSCILLOSCOPE and to explain to everyone HOW TO GET

70MHz Unlocked/Upgraded to 300 MHz Bandwidth  and
All the Trial Options Unlocked/Upgraded to fully Licensed Options

I had purchased a DS2072A a few months ago with 70MHz and Trial options
My Scope Currently Has 300MHz Bandwidth Unlocked, and all the Trials including 56 Mpts  Memory Depth

So.. Here we go,  I'm going to try to be as short as possible,  However i want to do the respect of Giving Credit to those who made this Possible and to briefly give background
as to what's going on,  so that you don't have to read and sift through, The Currently 229 page Monster Post, Known as

[Sniffing the Rigols Internal I2C Bus]
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/3420/

if your a tech junkie, like me and you want to know how it all came about and you want to know every step that was taken in the troubleshooting,     be my guest,
I've read it 3 Times, and i still like it

but.. for some, information is hard to find and it's all over the place.  so...

My intention for this post is to Provide a Smaller , Easier to read Post,  So.. Here goes.

THIS POST IS ONLY INTENDED FOR YOU IF YOU OWN OR ARE BUYING A DS200A SERIES RIGOL OSCILLOSCOPE
it is not For DS2000 Series (Although some of the instructions can be used)
it is not for the DS1000 Series

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS POST YOU CAN JUST EMAIL ME AND WE'LL DO A SKYPE SESSION AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT... OK

Now.. The Whole thing Started like this...

- Rigol Made a bunch of scopes and with all their scopes they decided that instead of Making 1 Scope, eg. DS2072A 70 Mhz  then Making another scope that was capable of 100 MHz
   then making another that was capable or 200MHz then another for 300MHz,
   They took the easy road and Created the DS2000A Series to be capable of 300MHz, HOWEVER, THE FIRMWARE WAS THE LIMITATION.
   This Firmware Meant that the scope could be locked to a Certain Bandwidth and hence they would charge you for differing bandwidths.
   so.. if you wanted 70MHz you paid about $1000  and if you later want to upgrade to 300 MHz you would pay around $3000

All that is required to be done by the techie at Rigol or Emona Instruments is that he pops in a USB stick and Unlocks the Firmware Option to 300 MHz  (it's piss easy and Takes about 5 Mins to
   do, Very tidy profit margin in that 5 Mins , wouldn't you agree  LOL)

So are we clear on this, All the DS2000A Scopes are capable of 300MHz Bandwidth,   Not 200MHz   it's 300MHz Definitely.  So don't keep asking ok,   YES.. IT'S 300MHZ

- Now andyturk became a curious little chappy, butchered his scope FOR ALL OUR BENEFITS (so, let's all show the respect that is deserved), and discovered that the Rigol I2C Bus
  Had Decodable information..

- With the help of CYBERNET (Most Notably) and Many others, and about 299 Pages of Posting later and Dave Freaking out over how huge this Post became, and let's give a thanks to dave
   for the Side by Side Comparion of the DS1000 and the DS2000 Blog.
   so.. after all that  WE HAVE A SOLUTION     [and i have to admit, if you followed it, it was a really cool journey of discovery]  Trust me,  Read the entire post sometime from start to finish.

anywhoo...

it all started with the DS1000 Series, then it went to the DS2000Series then to the DS2000A Series,  each series has it's own Max Bandwidth,  i think with the DS1000 it was 200MHz

Anyway, this post is Dedicated to the DS2000A    incidentally , it's not the DS2000A-S  i haven't tested this on that platform.

So.. thats the History lesson and how it all came about,   OH
   on other thing we need to show respect to, madcrow  Even though he doesn't feel he is worthy of it,.. in my eyes , He is.

After the solution came about, it was still complicated, madcrow was responsible for simplifying everything into one solution he called the  DS2000A Upgrade Utility.

because.... before it
a) You had to Request the Drivers from Rigol, it's not like Just downloading a Graphics card driver
b) Then there was the NiVisa software,  Man that was a Headache,  the NiVisa Site does not have a stable server, i tried 7 Times with a 115Mbps connection before i finally got a proper uncorrupted download
c) there were dependancies that had to be installed
d)There was a Public key and you had to know how to Modify the Firmware in order to make it compatible to your meter

BOTTOM LINE,  if you care to know how it all progressed... be My Guest
Read the Post  229 Pages, and still out of control

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/3420/

SO.. then    MADCROW takes all this information and using his Software Programming skills  [Thanks mate for making life that much easier, appreciate it]
Madcrow creates his

DS200A - UPGRADE UTILITY

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/

Thanks to him  YOU DON'T NEED TO DO A SINGLE THING,

SO NOW.. MOVING FORWARD TO THE SOLUTION

There are 2 Ways you can attack this

1. The Easiest Way... Contact me on martin@btotechnicalexperts.com.au  and i will arrange a skype session time with you and we'll get it done.

2. Start here and follow the steps (Nothing to be scared off, no viruses, and the steps are really easy, YOU JUST NEED TO READ IT)
     https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/

at the bottom of the first post by MADCROW  there are THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

Standard edition (with installer) ------------------------------------------ NOT THIS ONE
Portable edition
VirusTotal analysis of the Portable edition

Mirrored on http://gotroot.ca, courtesy of VE7XEN:
Standard edition (with installer) ---------------------------------------------------YOU SELECT THIS ONE
Portable edition

Quick note on this
YOU MAY get a message from your Antivirus Program saying that there is a Suspicious Pythia or Trojan or some bullshit (and it's just that,  ... bullshit)
 it's a false positive, Ignore it and deactivate your Antivirus for the process

However that only happens if you download the top one,  You shouldn't have the issue with the bottom one.

GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW TO AVOID TROUBLE

1. YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING - a) a Windows Environment of Windows Vista or better,   (i don't think Windows 8 is supported, i could be wrong), i did it with Windows 7, worked fine.
                                                                 a Linux Solution does exist, However its not automated,  this Utility Runs of a .exe file, therefore it won't run under Linux

b) if you skyping me, You will obviously need Skype and a Webcam with Microphone

c) You will need to start with your Scope at a Min Software Version of 1.0
                                                                   Most Scopes will now come out with 2.0, so your ok,  the Current Firmware Version is 3.0 FYI

d) to ascertain your Hardware Version follow the following steps on your Scope
                                                                   d1) Find the Orange "HELP" Button at the top left of your DS2000A Scope

d2) now that you've done look to the LEFT of that button, You will see 6 Buttons as follows..
                                                                         MEASURE / AQUIRE / STORAGE /CURSOR /DISPLAY /UTILITY             these are your top level buttons, everything starts from here.

d3) Press the "UTILITY" button and you will find that a Menu will pop out

d4) Press the GREY UNMARKED BUTTON  to the Right of the word "SYSTEM"                You see how this works....... good

d5) Press the GREY UNMARKED BUTTON to the Right of the Word "SYSTEM INFO"

You will get something that looks like this

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                       -------------------------------------------------------
                                                             Manufacturer:               Rigol Technologies
                                                             Model:                           DS2072A
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000            (THIS IS YOUR SERIAL NUMBER, DON'T POST IT ONLINE, It won't have zeros, it will have numbers .. OK)
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01                    (This is what you want, this is Version 2.01)
                                                             Hardware Version:         2.0

Now.. FYI    before the upgrade  your System Info will Look Like this

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                             Model:                           DS2072A
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01

AFTER IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                             Model:                           DS2302A            -----------------Notice the Model Number Change
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01           ------------------ Maybe the version will also Change

Now, if you use the same Navigation Method as above

Go to the following Directory level

UTILITY / OPTIONS / INSTALLED
My Scope Looked Like this BEFORE THE HACK  (i took photos, therefore the information is accurate)

option Type                              Option Name            Option Edition           Time Left

ADVANCED TRIGGER                Windows                   Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Nth Edge                   Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                HDTV                         Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Delay                         Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Timeout                     Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Dur                            Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                USB                            Trial Version                 861 Minute

DECODE                                  RS232                           Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                               SPI                                Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                               I2C                                Trial Version                 861 Minute

PROTOCOL ANALYSIS             CAN                                Trial Version                 861 Minute
MEM_DEPTH                           56M/28M                        Trial Version                 861 Minute

[Where's the bandwidth option , You may ask..... Be Patient My Young Jedi]

so.. these are all the Trials that we also will Unlock, and further to it, we will unlock 300MHz Bandwidth and IT WILLSHOW UP UNDER    MEM_DEPTH

Check back here after the upgrade

e) Here are some things that will give you headaches
  1) THE UPGRADE UTILITY WILL TAKE ABOUT 20 MINS TO INSTALL,   so.. Don't sit there and be like   ... is it frozen,   Chances are , it's not,  Just be patient, Make a cup of coffee and sit back and be
     thankful to Madcrow for the priviledge of NOT HAVING TO DO ANYTHING DIFFICULT and the fact that he just saved You $2000   
      [Once again, madcrow,  Massive Respect to you and Cybernet, thanks Dude and everyone else who participated who are too numerous to name, everyone put in a piece to the puzzle]

2) Once all that is installed    RESTART YOUR COMPUTER  (No, it's not all bullshit,   ACTUALLY RESTART YOUR COMPUTER NOW....it is important

3) When following Madcrow's instructions on the utility, and when you plug in your Scope to the USB port on your computer, YOU MAY GET AN ISSUE OF NON DETECTING OF THE USB DEVICE
        Troubleshoot as follows :
       3a) ENSURE THAT THE SCOPE IS PLUGGED INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND HAS A USB CABLE FROM COMPUTER TO SCOPE (Front USB Port)
       3b) Go to DEVICE MANAGER, and Confirm that the Driver has been installed for the scope
              if you don't know how..  do this
          START BUTTON /
         right Click on COMPUTER
         Select MANAGE
         Select DEVICE MANAGER

THE DRIVER WILL SHOW UP AS   "USB VIRTUALISATION DEVICE"  (if there is NO Yellow Question Mark, Your Good to go)
       3c) if it still doesn't detect,  THAT MEANS THE FOLLOWING

Your Scope has 2 USB Ports,  1 USB (A Type) in the Front and a USB (B Type) in the Rear
the front one is Defined as the PictBridge Port,
the Rear is defined as the Computer Port

You can only use one at a time, so.. if you have the rear one selected and your plugged into the front one.. it logically, won't work.. Right
ON YOUR SCOPE
go to this menu

UTILITY / IO SETTING / USB DEVICE

When you have your USB A Cable end plugged into the front of the scope,
this Value has to be set to PictBridge

DO THAT AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THE SCOPE WILL DETECT IN THE UPGRADE UTILITY SOFTWARE.

f)  YOU WILL NEED A USB STICK FORMATTED TO FAT32, it has to be completely blank, Basically any size will do , the file is really small

g) NOW.. HERE'S THE TRICKY PART
   YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PUT THE SCOPE INTO FIRMWARE UPDATE MODE

The Utility Explains it very clearly,  But let me make it even clearer
   The instructions are
    g 1) Turn OFF the Scope
    g2) PRACTICE THIS BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE SCOPE
    g3)Don't worry if you stuff up, , worst case scenario, you go back to step g1 and start over
   g4) Put Your LEFT THUMB on the POWER BUTTON
   g5) Put Your RIGHT THUMB on the "HELP" button

GOT THAT

Now, this is what you do
   from the moment that you press the Power button, You have HALF A SECOND to press the HELP BUTTON FIRMLY DOWN

so.. it's
    Press the Power Button and let go
    Press the Help Button Firmly and let go

IF YOU DID IT CORRECTLY,     the   "SINGLE"  Button will be SOLID ORANGE
if you didn't,  the scope will just boot up as per normal

if it does start up normally,   TUN OFF THE SCOPE AND REPEAT THE PROCESS .........DO IT FASTER

Once you got that down pat

Run Your Upgrade Utility software
with the scope connected
Have the USB Stick IN THE COMPUTER TO BEGIN WITH

Follow the Instructions

the Software will create the .GEL file for the firmware that you need

The software will Detect your USB stick and do this
the Software will detect your Scope as well

After the .GEL file is created you need to put the USB stick into your Scope
and put the scope into upgrade mode

ONCE YOU PUT IN THE USB STICK

if the scope detects the .GEL file and reads it correctly

YOU WILL SEE THE    "CH1"  Button Flash   GREEN   (This is normal, it means that communication is taking place and it's upgrading your meter)
be patient   it takes about 2-3 minutes  (This is the part where you will be saying "How do i know when it's done")

YOU WILL KNOW BECAUSE ....  All of the lights on the Scope will come ON
at that point, Keep Your Scope Connected to the Computer and Restart Your Scope

then the software will bring you to a page that will ask you to select OPTIONS

Obviously this is a No Brainer

Select the option that says something like

300MHz + All Options  (something to that effect)

after all that is done and you hit the finish button
Restart your scope and check the system info to see the following

Trial options should change to   OFFICIAL VERSION
The Model Number will Change
Possibly the Software Version will change
You will See a BANDWIDTH      300M BandWidth    official Version option

and that's that

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW, I'M HERE TO HELP

Sorry for the long Post, But at least it's not 229 Pages Until you get to a solution and Get Totally confused by the end of it

Be Cool Guys and Enjoy Your Scopes

And Remember

That the following people Saved you approx $2000 Perhaps more, if you consider all the options unlocked

so.. Let's Give Credit and Thanks to the following (if i missed someone i apologise)

Top of the List has to go to

CYBERNET (bloody good work mate)

Then
Zombie28
Madcrow  (for putting it all into 1 Easy container as you like to put it  :)  )
andyturk  (for Sacrificing his Scope   LOL)
Ve7xen
Studio25
marmad

and all the rest who contributed.

THAT'S IT... THAT'S THE SUMMARY OF THE LONG POST

BE COOL GUYS

QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: Jacek_Paw, ssaenek

Offline bnred777

Re: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17:28 am »
Hey guys, I just bought the DS2072A-S and I wondering if anyone ever got the 300Mhz hack working with full options? If so, does the DS2000A Upgrade Utility work for getting the options/bandwidth? I see in the post above that it hasn't been tested ny BTO but I'd like to know if someone out there has done it and how.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:16:14 pm »
Hello and thanks for the guide.
I have followed it, but still can't get it to work on my new scope.
For some reason, the boot loader does not accept any .GEL versions other than the latest.

This version (DS2000-03_00_01_03) gets loaded fine and the boot loader does what it's supposed to do (loading the file for a minute or so), but the other files just don't work.
I have the scope with SINGLE light on, waiting for the USB stick, I insert it, but after a second or so all the lights are turned on, the same it does when the boot loader has completed loading the file, except that the actual loading is skipped.

The MCU version shows 00.06, which is the newest and I suspect it has something to do with this behavior.
I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Offline bnred777

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:53 am »
Hey Adi101, I received a reply from AintBigAintClever on this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2072a-s-hackable-or-not/

You should check it out and see if this fixes your problem. I haven't received my scope yet but I'd love to know if this works for you so that I know what I'll be up against. Keep me updated! :)

Thanks,
Brandon

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:36:31 pm »
My problem was that the latest version of the firmware doesn't accept older firmware with the bootloader.
The solution is to get a memory dump with a JTAG adapter, use rigup 0.4 to get keys, then simply input the wanted key.

And so I have the latest firmware and all options + 300MHz bandwidth.
The info is here, you just have to be bold and use it.

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:42 am »
That's Strange i didn't have that issue and i am able to downgrade to versions even though my scope is at the latest hackable version,, i did even try to load the latest version of firmware, IT DIDN'T WORK for the hack, and i was successfully able to install the previous version, Dave, i think is still on version 1.1 so i'm not sure why it's not working for you,
if you like we can skype and see if we can work it out together, Maybe you have a corrupted GEL file or something,

let me know what' you would like to do
Be Cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:19 am »
@ BNRED77
apparently it is possible to hack the DS2000A-S

Read this post from AintBigAintClever

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2072a-s-hackable-or-not/

QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
@BNRED777
Even though it is a fact that i have not tested this Working solution with a DS2000A-S, but i have with a DS2000A

the idea behind, how the whole solution is possible is because Rigol Manufactured the Models to be identical within an entire series, but.. Limited
by Firmware

on that basis, there is not a big difference between the 2000A and the 2000A-S
so i would take a strong bet to say that My solution would work for you

i would be willing to to say that i'm more confident that this solution would work on your DS2000A-S  as opposed to working on a DS2000
which , i think, has a different procedure,  I'm not 100% Sure on that

i would try it if i was in your shoes,
Worst case Scenario, Just Reflash the unit back to the Lower Firmware, No Biggie
I've done it several Times
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
Hi All.
 I've copied this question from another thread. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here!
Now that I have "hacked" the scope (Now reports as a DS2302A)  is it still possible to do a firmware upgrade
to the latest version to fix the i2c decoding issue? It now shows firmware version 00.02.01
There is a much newer version available.
Or will the "revert" the scope back to a DS2072A with limited options?
Cheers
Neddie

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:10 am »
I cannot do any update. My is an MSO2102A with fw 00.03.00 sp1; as i connect USB key, less than half second after, this is result; all lights less "single" lit and after reboot no change

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:35:16 am by conte_vlad »

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:15 am »
I cannot do any update. My is an MSO2102A with fw 00.03.00 sp1; as i connect USB key, less than half second after, this is result; all lights less "single" lit and after reboot no change
Read this : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg476833/#msg476833
(As far as I am aware, with the latest (00.03.00 sp1) installed you WILL HAVE TO GO THE JTAG MEMORY DUMP route)

I think this works out very well for Rigol:
- They have effectively blocked the all-too-easy upgrade path (which I guess will hurt their bottom line)
- They retain their reputation for hackable hardware, you'll just have to do a little more work for it...

So, just bite the bullet and get a USB-JTAG dongle, open up your scope and get the memory dump.
Then run rigup 0.4 on that dump, and you'll have your upgrade keys.
The best part: since you are NOT changing the firmware in any way, you don't risk bricking your scope.
Plus, you should be okay for future official firmware updates, without losing your options.

(And since there is only one firmware version for DS2000A, DS2000A-S and MSO2000A series, this should work for all versions)

YMMV,
Regards,
Marcel
--------------------------------------------
Electronics is FUN !
If you want me to take it seriously,
... Call, and we'll talk consultancy rates ...
--------------------------------------------

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:09 am »
I want thanks you a lot for the indication, if I cannot solve in other way I wiil open scope and perform the memory dump but before do it, I have ordered already the jtag dongle, I would like to try in other way, and if it can help someone is a result, not sure it could be possible but just spent some time working around

So...after lot of try I found that DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z file got from http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/ is the only that "react" on loading procedure, CH1 flash for a minute or bit more. But after rebooting same firmware, old 00.03.00, is on
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:51:48 am by conte_vlad »

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:19 am »
Hi All.
 I've copied this question from another thread. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here!
Now that I have "hacked" the scope (Now reports as a DS2302A)  is it still possible to do a firmware upgrade
to the latest version to fix the i2c decoding issue? It now shows firmware version 00.02.01
There is a much newer version available.
Or will the "revert" the scope back to a DS2072A with limited options?
Cheers
Neddie

There's one way to find out, grit your teeth and try it.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:49 am »
Got a PM from BTO. Apparently you loose the bandwidth and options after the upgrade :0(
Have to wait and HOPE that some genius creates a modified .gel file out of the latest firmware version.(03.00.01.03)
Beyond my capability I'm afraid :0(
Will stick with the hacked /upgraded version. It's still a GREAT hack!!
Thanks to all involved!!
Neddie

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
Guys. I can't help but think this is going to turn again into a 50 page post. Can't we have a separate post for questions (somehintg like "Rigol DS2000A hack Questions & Answers thread") and have this locked?  :-// After a couple of months importants answers are going to be deep inside this thread. Why not just have it locked but allow the original poster to add information as it becomes necessary?

The idea is:
-Keep the original 229 page thread for hacking and research comments
-Keep madcrow's thread for questions and problems with his software, downloads and such
-Keep this as a guide, keep it locked and short, but updatable, maybe a sticky, but I don't decide this sort of stuff
-Make a questions and answers thread for all compatibility questions, helping newbies, questions about the process, and that sort of stuff

But the main thing is to keep the short post short

Just my 2 cents  :-+
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:13:19 pm by ivan747 »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »
One a thread is locked, the OP (or any other poster) will not be able to update their posts.

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:34 pm »
Read this : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg476833/#msg476833
(As far as I am aware, with the latest (00.03.00 sp1) installed you WILL HAVE TO GO THE JTAG MEMORY DUMP route)

I think this works out very well for Rigol:
- They have effectively blocked the all-too-easy upgrade path (which I guess will hurt their bottom line)
- They retain their reputation for hackable hardware, you'll just have to do a little more work for it...

So, just bite the bullet and get a USB-JTAG dongle, open up your scope and get the memory dump.
Then run rigup 0.4 on that dump, and you'll have your upgrade keys.
The best part: since you are NOT changing the firmware in any way, you don't risk bricking your scope.
Plus, you should be okay for future official firmware updates, without losing your options.

(And since there is only one firmware version for DS2000A, DS2000A-S and MSO2000A series, this should work for all versions)

YMMV,
Regards,
Marcel
I confirm.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:31 am »
My DS2072A came with firmware version 00.03.00.sp1 and it was hacked with the utility , no problem whatsoever.
Cheers
Neddie

Offline mackmc

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »
Works great with firmware version 00.03.00.sp1 on a DS2000A.

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:18 am »
IVAN i appreciate your 2 Cents worth, and i agree,
this was the main reason i created this post, because it seemed no one from the big post did

i also have no control over stickies and things as such,  Maybe PM dave for an idea

i think , let's see how it goes and how big it gets, and we'll just create a smaller one when the time comes

Yes, it's doubling up, but it seems to be the only way to keep it short from our Permissions point of view
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 07:27:02 am »
Sorry guys for my lack of appearance on the POST, i"ve been really busy with work

it would seem that Rigol brought our Version 3.0 and no one is able to upgrade the meter to get the Trials converted to Licenced versions

so.. I suggest as follows:

Let's wait for someone to bring out a hack that will get past this as well
in the meantime

Roll back to version 2.01

I've put the .GEL file that i used on a cloud for everyone

Let me know if it works for all you guys

https://mega.co.nz/#F!EgRCzbjI!npObOMkOYY931Z6hJUsJ6g

if it doesn't then that must mean that the file contains my serial key
and in that case you would need to request from Rigol Directly

that they Supply with a Firmware Version 2.01 for your meter with your serial number
considering that you bought it,  i don't see why, LEGALLY SPEAKING this should be a problem

they can't force you to stay on a firmware version

you could tell them that you had issues and you would just feel better if you reverted to the previous version.

Let me know how it goes
thanks guys
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:40 am »
does not load, as I told as file is less than 8.992 kB. The only file accepted to loading, but it is not patched, it seems, is the DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z from http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:05:01 am by conte_vlad »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 08:39:27 am »
Sorry guys for my lack of appearance on the POST, i"ve been really busy with work

it would seem that Rigol brought our Version 3.0 and no one is able to upgrade the meter to get the Trials converted to Licenced versions

so.. I suggest as follows:

Let's wait for someone to bring out a hack that will get past this as well
in the meantime

Roll back to version 2.01

I've put the .GEL file that i used on a cloud for everyone

Let me know if it works for all you guys

https://mega.co.nz/#F!EgRCzbjI!npObOMkOYY931Z6hJUsJ6g

if it doesn't then that must mean that the file contains my serial key
and in that case you would need to request from Rigol Directly

that they Supply with a Firmware Version 2.01 for your meter with your serial number
considering that you bought it,  i don't see why, LEGALLY SPEAKING this should be a problem

they can't force you to stay on a firmware version

you could tell them that you had issues and you would just feel better if you reverted to the previous version.

Let me know how it goes
thanks guys

There is something strange about this file, it seems it is patched in some way on several locations. It's for sure not the file that was posted long time ago in

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158659/#msg158659
See the third post, it contains all correct firmware files.

This file is not recommended

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:54 am »

I did it with the old way of dumping the memory and then use rigup on it.
The bootloader doesn't work with older .GEL files though.

All the best.

Offline Beeblebrox

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:57 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, the procedure works like a charm with FW ver. 00.03.00.SP1 on my DS2072A. Now I have DS2302A with all options in.

My the only question is related to the newest firmware. The Upgrade Utility downgraded the original FW 00.03.00.01.03 to version 00.02.01.00.03. Can I upgrade back to ver. 3.00 without loosing all sweets?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:29:56 pm by Beeblebrox »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf