Author Topic: Update firmware on your Keysight/Agilent InifiniiVision Oscilloscope!  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
There were two threads this weekend about InfiniiVision scopes not booting, so this seems like a good time to bring this up. 

There are tens of thousands of them out there, so it's expected that some small number of them will have issues. This isn't unique to us, all electronics will have some rate of failures  :blah:.

We've had some stability enhancements in recent firmware releases, so I highly recommend that you update your scope.

For 2000 X-Series:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2014479

3000 X-Series:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2014548

3000T X-Series (I didn't name it :) ):
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2573488

4000 X-Series:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2287602

6000 X-Series:
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=2628089

The following users thanked this post: ralphrmartin, electr_peter, LA7SJA, coromonadalix, Fgrir

Offline bsgd

• Regular Contributor
Daniel,

I'll be honest here: besides the DSO you're helping me with, I have other Keysight scopes (same model) which are still running fine and have an older firmware.

Warranty period is gone and to be honest I'm worried about updating and having some issue during the update, having to go through all this nightmare I'm going through now to get it back running.

Do you think it's a good idea to update or should I just leave them as is? Im probably running a firmware version from 2013.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Good question!

I've never ever seen a firmware update go wrong for the InfiniiVision scopes, I would definitely upgrade them.

The only time I've ever seen an issue was when someone unzipped the .cab file instead of just loading it as-downloaded.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Good question!

I've never ever seen a firmware update go wrong for the InfiniiVision scopes, I would definitely upgrade them.

The only time I've ever seen an issue was when someone unzipped the .cab file instead of just loading it as-downloaded.

Would Keysight charge to reflash a scope with a failed firmware upgrade out of warranty? Potential loss of calibration aside.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Hi @Monkeh,

Generally, any out-of-warranty service will have a cost to the owner.  But, for the no-boot issue we're currently waiving service fees on a case-by-case basis.

The following users thanked this post: swperk

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
Will the calibration of the scope (or stored calibration data) invalidated by a firmware update?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Will the calibration of the scope (or stored calibration data) invalidated by a firmware update?

Not unless something goes horrifically wrong.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
I've just upgraded my MSO-X3104A from 2.39. Quick process, no problem at all.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
Daniel, I occasionally check the myKeysight page which 'should' show the latest versions of firmware. It doesn't. It shows old versions (4.06 when 4.07 is new) for both my scope and my multimeter (4.11 shown, 4.14 is current).
Can you please get your web team to do something about that little bug with the website  :-+

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!

No, it won't change or invalidate cal data.

@D3f1ant I'll look into that, thanks!

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
Do the "new" firmware include the new recovery partition or is this programed into the "untouchable" part of the boot loader that must be programmed via JTG/ISP in the factory?

Johan-Fredrik 
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Do the "new" firmware include the new recovery partition or is this programed into the "untouchable" part of the boot loader that must be programmed via JTG/ISP in the factory?

Johan-Fredrik

Installing the new firmware will also include the recovery partition.

The following users thanked this post: LA7SJA

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
One more thing........................

How does this new recovery partition work?

If I could wish for just one thing (Yes, I know I am a spoiled brat). Whenever Keysight release a new firmware that changes the way a instrument works or the way it could/should be used, why not update the user manual to and also state the firmware version this manual requires/presupposes.

Johan-Fredrik
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:52:17 am by LA7SJA »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Ok, I did some more digging on the recovery partition.  Firmware 2.39 had a user-viewable screen that came up if a boot error was detected and the user would have to do a button press to begin the recovery. The latest version of FW is a little more robust and would just seem like a slow boot.  I don't really know much more than that, e.g. specifically how it was implemented and how it detects an error in the first place.

The following users thanked this post: LA7SJA

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
We've had some stability enhancements in recent firmware releases, so I highly recommend that you update your scope.
Can you tell us which firmware versions have stability problems?

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
One more thing........................

How does this new recovery partition work?

If I could wish for just one thing (Yes, I know I am a spoiled brat). Whenever Keysight release a new firmware that changes the way a instrument works or the way it could/should be used, why not update the user manual to and also state the firmware version this manual requires/presupposes.

Johan-Fredrik

Old Hewlett Packard "boat anchor" equipment manuals often have "backdating" sections that covered revision changes.

Keysight's support of access to old manuals, while a little sporadic, is actually quite impressive. Unfortunately it seems that manuals for some of the more obscure equipment is lost.

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
Ok, I did some more digging on the recovery partition.  Firmware 2.39 had a user-viewable screen that came up if a boot error was detected and the user would have to do a button press to begin the recovery. The latest version of FW is a little more robust and would just seem like a slow boot.  I don't really know much more than that, e.g. specifically how it was implemented and how it detects an error in the first place.

Can you tell us which firmware versions have stability problems?

Although none of the versions have a boot problems (according to the release notes) http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Keysight_2000A_3000A_X_Series_Oscilloscope_Release_Notes_02_41.pdf
the version 2.39 is the first to address this (non existing) boot problem. So I would say that all version before 2:39 should be avoided.
 The only reason anyone would still keep 2.35 is that it is the last version that boots from USB. Based on the information provided by Daniel Bogdanoff I would say, use the latest (i.e. 2000XSeries.02.41.2015102200.cab/3000XSeries.02.41.2015102200.cab).
Johan-Fredrik

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:51:07 pm by LA7SJA »

Offline swperk

• Regular Contributor
Re: Update firmware on your Keysight/Agilent InifiniiVision Oscilloscope!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »
I just purchased a non-booting DSOX2024A that is out of warranty. When it powers up, it 1) sequences the LEDs, 2) shows the splash screen, then 3) shows the Agilent Technologies screen with the copyright info. It then repeats this cycle endlessly.

With the scope in this condition, is there a way to reload the firmware or is there anything else I can do to get this scope to boot up properly?

If it turns out that there's nothing that I can do to fix this myself, Daniel mentioned that Keysight was handling InfiniiVision non-boot, out of warranty repairs on a case-by-case basis. Whom should I talk to in order to explore this option?

I have no idea what options, if any, were installed on this scope. Will the options survive any restore process?

Thanks,
Stan

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 05:18:49 pm »
I just purchased a non-booting DSOX2024A that is out of warranty. When it powers up, it 1) sequences the LEDs, 2) shows the splash screen, then 3) shows the Agilent Technologies screen with the copyright info. It then repeats this cycle endlessly.

With the scope in this condition, is there a way to reload the firmware or is there anything else I can do to get this scope to boot up properly?

If it turns out that there's nothing that I can do to fix this myself, Daniel mentioned that Keysight was handling InfiniiVision non-boot, out of warranty repairs on a case-by-case basis. Whom should I talk to in order to explore this option?

I have no idea what options, if any, were installed on this scope. Will the options survive any restore process?

Thanks,
Stan

I am sure several of us were watching that scope on ebay. In the end it went for more then I was comfortable paying. Good luck with the repair, there is info posted on the forum that may be helpful depending on the fault.
VE7FM

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »
I am sure several of us were watching that scope on ebay. In the end it went for more then I was comfortable paying. Good luck with the repair, there is info posted on the forum that may be helpful depending on the fault.

Ditto on the fact I was watching it as well, and ditto on the good luck, of course!

Jay
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Tifrmumbai

Need help on the following issue:

It started with the MSO-X 3024A Agilent infiniivision getting into a never ending loop during power-ON. It just continued the sequence of lighting the LED's in a sequence during start up and continued forever. The Agilent screen was up and stood still. But sometimes it comes on normally.

So after reading posts on this forum,  which matched my above problem, I updated the firmware. My previous firmware was version 01.10.20111031600. and had installed licences of MSO, BW20, WAVEGEN.

After 'successfully' installing the firmware as per the instructions, in the 'About this Oscilloscope' tab it shows the below info:

Model number: Unset
Serial no 7290
Bandwidth: 200MHz
Module Installed: None

Firmware version: 02.50.2019022736
Installed Licences: MSO, SGM,BW20,EDK,WAVEGEN,DVM,RML

Now the scope comes on normally except that instead of Agilent the Keysight logo is displayed.

My query is below:
1) On power-on it shows - WARNING - Unfinalized Software...Is this normal? or okay?
2) Also displayed just after it turns fully ON is: System Concerns detected: - Instrument is Uncalibrated; Secure Storage is uninitialised. Please set instrument serial and licensing model numbers.
----
2) How to set the model no? as above?
3) The Waveform Generator function is not working now. ? what to do?

Thanks.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor

My query is below:
1) On power-on it shows - WARNING - Unfinalized Software...Is this normal? or okay?
2) Also displayed just after it turns fully ON is: System Concerns detected: - Instrument is Uncalibrated; Secure Storage is uninitialised. Please set instrument serial and licensing model numbers.
----
2) How to set the model no? as above?
3) The Waveform Generator function is not working now. ? what to do?

Thanks.

How did you obtain this MSO-X 3024A? Did you buy it new from a dealer with option licenses already installed, or new from a dealer and then you installed option licenses yourself, or did you buy it used from some other source with an unknown history before you received it?

If you bought it used with unknown history, maybe it is possible that the firmware was hacked by previous owners to enable options without legitimate licenses?

For example this thread mentions the "WARNING: Unfinalized Software" message when hacking the firmware:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg855758/#msg855758

If you bought the MSO-X 3024A new from a dealer and everything should be legitimate I have no idea what might be causing the messages you are seeing after upgrading the firmware. Maybe try contacting Keysight support?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
That's a fun one! Contact support and they should be able to help you out. There are some internal commands that we use to initialize acquisition boards.

Offline Tifrmumbai

"How did you obtain this MSO-X 3024A? Did you buy it new from a dealer with option licenses already installed, or new from a dealer and then you installed option licenses yourself, or did you buy it used from some other source with an unknown history before you received it?

If you bought it used with unknown history, maybe it is possible that the firmware was hacked by previous owners to enable options without legitimate licenses?"

This scope was newly purchased from authorised dealer way back in 2011-12 and we had the options purchased at that time. But now, after updating the firmware it seems to have 'forgotten' about our purchase. But no question of hacking.

So i guess now I should contact support of keysight. ? Hope they dont charge a lot just for this sake.!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf