Author Topic: update on tektronix 2230 var button  (Read 1492 times)

Offline nkurtarTopic starter

update on tektronix 2230 var button
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »
In terms of Tektronix my cal buttons of vertical atennuators cannot detent. Anybody help me out with possible cure?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Re: update on tektronix 2230 var button
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:19:21 pm »
Don't worry about it. The extreme clockwise rotation of the CAL knob should give the same value as when it is in the detent position. The detent is just there so that you don't inadvertently change the CAL pot setting when you change the main switch setting. Sometimes it can take quite a forceful twist to get into the detent position on these 22xx series scopes, and this risks breaking the little tabs on the plastic knobs.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »
Are the variable controls stiff?  If so, then the potentiometer shafts need to be lubricated.

Is your 2230 a rebuild or in original condition?  Does it have any signs of having been stored improperly?

I just checked my 2230 and 2232 variable controls and the only problem I found is that on my much used rebuilt 2232, the detents are softer than on my others but they are still present.

The danger alsetalokin4017 mentions is with the plastic and aluminum flexible shaft couplers between the shaft and potentiometer which are fragile and do not tolerate excessive torque well; the thin aluminum around the set screws tends to crack.

http://www.qservice.tv/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=9444
http://www.qservice.tv/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=4202

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
@alsetalokin4017 the shaft 1/8 " is turning freely no detent is possible i mean one of the shafts of my 2 vertical swiches is really loosely turning. Why is it?

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:49:30 pm »
@David no the variable controls are not stiff. I do not know what you mean rebuild but if it is what i think it is in original condition. No it dont have sign of improperly storage.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:24:32 pm »
@alsetalokin4017 the shaft 1/8 " is turning freely no detent is possible i mean one of the shafts of my 2 vertical swiches is really loosely turning. Why is it?

If it is turning freely through 360 degrees, then the flexible shaft coupler that I mentioned was probably broken from excessive torque.

Unfortunately it is difficult to inspect this area of the 2230 because of how the storage board on top is mounted.  It is designed to tilt out of the way but the front panel switches along the top need to be pulled apart.

The following users thanked this post: nkurtar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf