Author Topic: Upgrading Rigol MSO5000 Series LCD (Thoughts?)  (Read 1712 times)

Offline 6E5Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Upgrading Rigol MSO5000 Series LCD (Thoughts?)
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:22:42 pm »
I'm thinking of purchasing the Rigol MSO5000 series - some of the features that I like are the HDMI out, the built in function generator, the internet and app connectivity, the touch screen.

I am generally disappointed in the quality of the screens though, of oscilloscopes in general. I figure if I'm looking at something that costs more than a phone, it should probably look pretty good.

Has any had any experience upgrading the LCD? At the very least I guess it would be the same to use the HDMI out and somehow extend the touchscreen controller inputs so they can be used externally.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Upgrading Rigol MSO5000 Series LCD (Thoughts?)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 01:30:31 am »
I am generally disappointed in the quality of the screens though, of oscilloscopes in general. I figure if I'm looking at something that costs more than a phone, it should probably look pretty good.

What's your opinion of those $500 multimeters with low resolution black&white screens?  :popcorn:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:24:00 pm »
What's wrong with the screen and what do you want to upgrade it to? The display is not really what you're paying for with a scope. You're not going to be watching movies on it.

Offline AngusBeef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:17:09 pm »
What's wrong with the screen and what do you want to upgrade it to? The display is not really what you're paying for with a scope. You're not going to be watching movies on it.
You can, and you can play Doom too if you like - so why not?

I agree the screen isn't what you're paying for primarily but if someone wants to update it why not

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 07:30:58 pm »
Meanwhile the display brightness was increased, nevertheless this one is still interesting:

9 Inch IPS Display

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:39:32 pm »
Have you actually used one in person?
Don't waste your time. If you require a bigger screen go with HDMI and an external monitor or use the web interface on your PC.

I figure if I'm looking at something that costs more than a phone, it should probably look pretty good.

Its not really a reasonable argument when the screen on a phone is about 30-40% of total BOM cost, its a different market.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 08:59:04 pm »
May I suggest using a larger screen monitor via the hdmi I use a 46inch screen in the lab works well you can see the screen from all angles nicely. Cost was £150 from a games exchange shop.

Scope is not touched and I use an hdmi splitter box for the other instruments that use hdmi
Never had any issues with the screens on the 5000 or 7000

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:07:53 pm »
This is a discussion from five months ago. 

Agreed, with all the display options available, there is no need to upgrade the internal screen.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf