Author Topic: Upgrading the lab to something decent  (Read 14589 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Upgrading the lab to something decent
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 12:39:48 am »
What's still missing is a decent logging multimeter, which might be a Brymen or just maybe Dave's new meter. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
FWIW, TopLoser has an Agilent U1252B up for 200GBP + shipping (here) if you're willing and able. Even if not, sending him a PM regarding something you're after is worthwhile IMHO, as he sells customer returns that are fully functional and aren't screwed up cosmetically.

Regarding the U1252B, the interfaces aren't expensive and the software is free. Brymen sells the interface for the BM86x series DMM's inexpensively as well (here); TME would likely be the best place to find that at a reasonable price.

I've yet to hear a negative comment about the Quick station, so that seems to be a done deal. Louis Rossmann said he would do a review of the thing this week, so that might be interesting.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one (don't have a video camera myself, other than my phone, and I suspect using it would be a disaster).

The power supplies are another story. ...[snip]...I am still going back and forth on getting two separate Korad units, one dual channel unit or a Rigol, but the dual channel Korad seem to make the most sense. It never hurts to have more options, so upgrading to something more decent later while keeping the Korad around for the more "hold my beer" kind of experiments is viable. I will be sure to keep checking the various channels until I actually make a purchase. Something might pop up.
:-DD

Given you're in the EU, have you tried eBay sellers in say the Netherlands and Germany?

Magnification is something I've been looking at, but I think I will see how that pans out in practice. I will find out quickly enough whether I desperately need to invest in optical equipment. Getting one of those cheap but half-decent USB microscopes might be a workable in-between until then. If I do spend money, I'd rather do it right the first time and unfortunately, that does not represent a trivial amount of money.
You could start with a magnifying lamp or Opti-Visor (or similar), as they're not terribly expensive.

Regarding a microscope, I figured on a buy-once-cry-once philosophy, so I spent $609 shipped for an Amscope 3.5x - 90x Simul-Focal*, double arm boom stand, fluorescent ring light, and a 5MP camera kit. Everything you need OTB. Not pocket change, but at 1.5x a Rigol DS1054Z, it's not horrible either.  ;)

The optics are decent BTW, so I don't see the need to spend more than that. An upgrade or two, such as a 1x Barlow to keep the objectives clean, polarized filter, and better lighting**.

* Includes a 2.0x Barlow to get above 45x, which can always be added later on (10x eyepieces * 0.7x - 4.5x objectives without a Barlow lens installed). I only got that model as it was in stock, and the price difference was negligible (you really only need a 0.5x Barlow).

** LED ring lights are cheap, and ideally a dual arm fiber optic LED unit would be even more desirable (convert a used halogen unit?). The reason is hitting the chip at an angle makes a world of difference reading IC P/N's IME. The inexpensive IKEA goose neck desk lamps would do too, or in a pinch, a flashlight/torch. BTW, turn off the ring light for this.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. ScramTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 07:18:53 am »
Ignore the possibility of other equipment - for now. Use the equipment to do something, anything that interests you.

When you can't do X, first use imagination (and skill) to try to find a different way to achieve X without buying anything. If you can't, then you will be able to write a specification for what you need to buy.

Don't forget that everything has a learning curve; too much stuff => too long learning!

Having said that, you don't mention soldering and vision equipment. For the latter, a cheap way of finding what you do/don't need is the ~£20 head-mounted visors with changeable lenses. Don't forget good adjustable lighting; I find bench-mounted LEDs on a long gooseneck are very useful.
Ignoring the possibilty of other equipment doesn't seem to be a productive approach. Unfortunately, your choice of DSO also dictates what you can do with what arbitrary signal generator. As far as I can tell, an oscilloscope and signal generator within the same brand tend to be a more streamlined experience. Recording and replaying a signal is something I have uses for right now. Generating damaged or modified signals through a script and playing them on data lines is another application I can already see being useful.

The whole purpose of upgrading the lab is eliminating every tool being a project in itself. I've mucked about with homebrew solutions for a while now, but I'm trying to shift the focus more towards getting the actual projects done. Buying something just good enough for the current project seems to be a bit of a gambling approach, as any slight change in requirements could warrant yet another upgrade.

Soldering equipment was mentioned in the form of the currently present Aoyue 936 station I'm not too impressed with, and the potential Quick hot air station purchase :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:31:51 am by Mr. Scram »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »
As far as I can tell, an oscilloscope and signal generator within the same brand tend to be a more streamlined experience.

Apart from having the same case colour and (possibly) having similar external dimensions, I can't think of what you might mean by that.

Recording and replaying a signal is something I have uses for right now. Generating damaged or modified signals through a script and playing them on data lines is another application I can already see being useful.

In that case, for analogue signals you need an AWG, and for digital signals a pattern generator. Make sure the number of samples and frequency / baud rate are sufficient for your signals.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:24 pm »
Apart from having the same case colour and (possibly) having similar external dimensions, I can't think of what you might mean by that.

In that case, for analogue signals you need an AWG, and for digital signals a pattern generator. Make sure the number of samples and frequency / baud rate are sufficient for your signals.
According to Tautech, the protocol to send a captured signal to an AWG is not standardized and therefore a match is required. Obviously, you can export a waveform to a file and import that on the AWG, but the option being as streamlined as possible is worth something.

The divide between analogue and digital isn't that neat. The fun part is distorting and damaging digital signals to see what happens :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1311071/#msg1311071

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 03:47:00 pm »

According to Tautech, the protocol to send a captured signal to an AWG is not standardized and therefore a match is required. Obviously, you can export a waveform to a file and import that on the AWG, but the option being as streamlined as possible is worth something.

For some inexplicable reason, you've snipped important context, so here it is again...

As far as I can tell, an oscilloscope and signal generator within the same brand tend to be a more streamlined experience.

Recording and replaying a signal is something I have uses for right now. Generating damaged or modified signals through a script and playing them on data lines is another application I can already see being useful.

... but it turns out you weren't interested in signal generators after all, and, as I suggested, AWGs were relevant.

The divide between analogue and digital isn't that neat. The fun part is distorting and damaging digital signals to see what happens :)

Actually, the divide is strong, unambiguous and very important :analogue signals convey energy from transmitter to receiver, digital signals convey information from transmitter to receiver.

Distorting and damaging digital signals is trivially easy: all you have to do is flip/insert/delete bits.

If you are thinking of "distorting and damaging digital signals", then it is most likely you are intending to change analogue signals that will subsequently be interpreted as digital signals. That can indeed be enlightening, provided the AWG is fast enough and the changes you introduce are representative of those you will find in the wild. Mobile/wireless comms channel models are a classic source of such things.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »

Actually it is quite common to be able to export/import CSV files but it may take some editing. For example: I have used data captured on a GW Instek scope on a Siglent signal generator. This wasn't as straightforward as I would have like due to the Siglent generator wanting a specific header in the CSV file but in the end it worked.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 06:04:27 pm »
    I have an Instek GPC-3020 and it gets a lot of use. Still, there are two issues I have with it. Both are fixable, but you should know about them

1. the voltage pots are extremely sensitive, and really it could use multiturn pots there, which I plan to add.   Fix, find two compatible multi-turn pots to replace the voltage pots.

2. The second you turn it on a loud fan distracts you from your work and runs like a airliner taxiing to takeoff until you turn the power supply off.  Fix, replace the 24volt fan with a quieter one that includes a thermistor so it only runs fast when major cooling is actually needed.

As per PSU's, I'd recommend you consider quality used linear units from eBay, particularly if you live in the US/CAN (you get greater value from multi-channel output models). Better quality for pennies on the dollar this way.  ;)

Here's a few examples:
[/list]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:06:12 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 11:56:23 am »
Lots of surmising and short on facts.
I have one for testing and it far exceeds capabilities of its lesser two channel brother.
Mentioned/suspected release dates are reasonably accurate....far less than 6 months.
It was a reasonable stance, based on the facts and estimations available at the time. An estimated Q1 release means that it may or may not appear within 6 months. Now we know a little more.

For some inexplicable reason, you've snipped important context, so here it is again...

... but it turns out you weren't interested in signal generators after all, and, as I suggested, AWGs were relevant.

Actually, the divide is strong, unambiguous and very important :analogue signals convey energy from transmitter to receiver, digital signals convey information from transmitter to receiver.

Distorting and damaging digital signals is trivially easy: all you have to do is flip/insert/delete bits.

If you are thinking of "distorting and damaging digital signals", then it is most likely you are intending to change analogue signals that will subsequently be interpreted as digital signals. That can indeed be enlightening, provided the AWG is fast enough and the changes you introduce are representative of those you will find in the wild. Mobile/wireless comms channel models are a classic source of such things.
The superfluous context has been cut, to prevent cluttering the discussion up with endless nesting. Those who might get confused will figure out how to scroll back eventually :P

I was talking about an upgrade to an AWG all along. Sorry for any confusion.

Again, the divide between analogue and digital signals isn't so obvious. Any digital signal is also an analogue signal and how that analogue signal looks exactly has consequences in the digital world. Slew rate and other forms of distortion that differ from the ideal digital signal may or may not have an impact on performance :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:58:28 am by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:54 pm »
FWIW, TopLoser has an Agilent U1252B up for 200GBP + shipping (here) if you're willing and able. Even if not, sending him a PM regarding something you're after is worthwhile IMHO, as he sells customer returns that are fully functional and aren't screwed up cosmetically.

Regarding the U1252B, the interfaces aren't expensive and the software is free. Brymen sells the interface for the BM86x series DMM's inexpensively as well (here); TME would likely be the best place to find that at a reasonable price.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that one (don't have a video camera myself, other than my phone, and I suspect using it would be a disaster).

Given you're in the EU, have you tried eBay sellers in say the Netherlands and Germany?

You could start with a magnifying lamp or Opti-Visor (or similar), as they're not terribly expensive.

Regarding a microscope, I figured on a buy-once-cry-once philosophy, so I spent $609 shipped for an Amscope 3.5x - 90x Simul-Focal*, double arm boom stand, fluorescent ring light, and a 5MP camera kit. Everything you need OTB. Not pocket change, but at 1.5x a Rigol DS1054Z, it's not horrible either.  ;)

The optics are decent BTW, so I don't see the need to spend more than that. An upgrade or two, such as a 1x Barlow to keep the objectives clean, polarized filter, and better lighting**.

* Includes a 2.0x Barlow to get above 45x, which can always be added later on (10x eyepieces * 0.7x - 4.5x objectives without a Barlow lens installed). I only got that model as it was in stock, and the price difference was negligible (you really only need a 0.5x Barlow).

** LED ring lights are cheap, and ideally a dual arm fiber optic LED unit would be even more desirable (convert a used halogen unit?). The reason is hitting the chip at an angle makes a world of difference reading IC P/N's IME. The inexpensive IKEA goose neck desk lamps would do too, or in a pinch, a flashlight/torch. BTW, turn off the ring light for this.
TopLoser's multimeter has been sold before I could do enough research to see whether it would fit my needs. I must say the 200000 count Brymen BM869s sounds attractive, even though it lacks mobile logging capabilities. However, I do think I have other priorities at the moment. When I really start needing it, I will evaluate the options to find the most suitable match.

Louis has posted his video on the Quick. It's what I would consider a rave review.

I'm looking at eBay listings from people in countries that have reasonable shipping, including the Netherlands and Germany. There seems to be a huge amount of low quality stuff, with a bit of high price top quality mixed in. I'm still looking for that affordable gem that might be in there somewhere, but I might very well pull the trigger on the Korad and go from there. So far, I've not seen anyone complain about it, save Dave's review before the fix.

Magnifying glasses have never really felt comfortable to use. Maybe a magnifying lamp is different, but the Opti-visors sound like a better option. However, I do take the buy once cry once approach too, so I'll figure out what to do with that as I go along.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »

The superfluous context has been cut, to prevent cluttering the discussion up with endless nesting. Those who might get confused will figure out how to scroll back eventually :P

There are other simple and less charitable interpretations. It is considered bad form to snip conversations in ways that change the intent and meaning of other people's posts.

I was talking about an upgrade to an AWG all along. Sorry for any confusion.

Again, the divide between analogue and digital signals isn't so obvious. Any digital signal is also an analogue signal and how that analogue signal looks exactly has consequences in the digital world. Slew rate and other forms of distortion that differ from the ideal digital signal may or may not have an impact on performance :)

No, for the reason given.

You are describing "signal integrity", i.e. an analogue signal that will be received and then interpreted as a digital signal. Exactly what sample rate do you require an AWG to have, in order that it be useful to you for signal integrity experiments?

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »
Actually it is quite common to be able to export/import CSV files but it may take some editing. For example: I have used data captured on a GW Instek scope on a Siglent signal generator. This wasn't as straightforward as I would have like due to the Siglent generator wanting a specific header in the CSV file but in the end it worked.
Unless things are designed properly strange, exporting a CSV and importing it elsewhere should generally be possible. I wouldn't be inclined to buy anything without it. However, in your example, you would need a computer and some extra work to do it. I'm not scared of a little scripting work to ease the pain, but if I can eliminate that hassle and the need for a pc in the process, it certainly is worth it to me.

There are other simple and less charitable interpretations. It is considered bad form to snip conversations in ways that change the intent and meaning of other people's posts.

You are describing "signal integrity", i.e. an analogue signal that will be received and then interpreted as a digital signal. Exactly what sample rate do you require an AWG to have, in order that it be useful to you for signal integrity experiments?
I must say that I'm rather confused by the level of distrust and the implied accusations and I don't quite feel I have deserved either.

Right now I'm mainly working with microcontrollers and associated slow-ish bitrates. However, I'm not looking to buy an AWG right now, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner later either.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 02:53:00 pm »

I must say that I'm rather confused by the level of distrust and the implied accusations and I don't quite feel I have deserved either.

Because you changed the context of what was said and why it was said.

Why am I not surprised you didn't take the hint about snipping conversations.

It is disrespectful of readers' time to expect them to trawl back through past postings to try to recover useful context that you have chosen to unnecessarily delete.

PS: if you dislike context, I suggest you head over to stackexchange or edaboard. While they seem great for "which button do I press to do X" type questions, they are very poor when it comes to answering and discussing more subtle and interesting topics.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:29:27 pm by tggzzz »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
$6 for 4 fl. ox
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
TopLoser's multimeter ...[U1252B]...has been sold before I could do enough research to see whether it would fit my needs. I must say the 200000 count Brymen BM869s sounds attractive, even though it lacks mobile logging capabilities. However, I do think I have other priorities at the moment. When I really start needing it, I will evaluate the options to find the most suitable match.
Its predecessor, the U1252A, is currently available from another member on eBay (nmori87) in NEW condition for $180 + shipping, and he does sell internationally. Dave's also done a review on the U1253A, so you might want to give it a look and see if it's suitable to you (U1252A does do stand-alone logging).

Regarding the Brymen BM869S, it's only a 50,000 count meter (4-4/5 digit). The 500,000 count mode effects resolution in DC mode only (5-4/5 digit). So be aware that DC accuracy remains the same, nor does it work with any other mode.

I suspect pricing will be very similar between the two units. And if this is the case, you'll have to seriously reconsider the desire for stand-alone logging. Especially if its primary use is for bench work, as you'll want access to a PC on the bench anyway.

Louis has posted his video on the Quick. It's what I would consider a rave review.
Thanks.  :) I'm aware it's up, but haven't watched it just yet.

Edit: I've watched it in its entirety, and Louis's assessment matches my experiences as well (i.e. I've a Luxo swing-arm lamp with a 5000K LED bulb installed, which flickers like a SOB when running the Quick 861DW :o).  Overall, it's an excellent station, price not withstanding; take the price into consideration however, the value increases significantly IMHO.  :-+

Initially, I presumed my experience regarding the lighting flicker was an anomaly. Fortunately, I suspect it can be fixed (shouldn't have to, but the price difference makes the aggravation/fix acceptable IMHO).

FWIW, I've some 5000K LED strips for the underside of my bench; 0.5m on the under-side of each of the lowest half-shelves (2 * 0.5m strips) for bench lighting. They're independently wired with a linear PSU as the primary source of power.

FWIW, I got the PSU (+/- 12V @ 1.7A) as surplus from Skycraft the last time I was in Orlando in 2014 (paid $15 for the PSU and ~$6 for 4 fl. oz. of Kester 1544).  >:D

The caps in mine are of 1996 vintage, nor do they have any leaks or bulges from what I can tell. And they seem OK from what I'm able to test.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:16:29 am by nanofrog »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:21 pm »
Because you changed the context of what was said and why it was said.

Why am I not surprised you didn't take the hint about snipping conversations.

It is disrespectful of readers' time to expect them to trawl back through past postings to try to recover useful context that you have chosen to unnecessarily delete.

PS: if you dislike context, I suggest you head over to stackexchange or edaboard. While they seem great for "which button do I press to do X" type questions, they are very poor when it comes to answering and discussing more subtle and interesting topics.
I don't know why you're so adamant to get a rise out of me. I have not had or displayed any ill intent, nor have I deserved your distrust or accusations. To prevent endless nesting and clutter, I've removed all but the last message in the conversation. I've done this consistently in this thread and throughout the forums and no one has taken offence so far, except for you. If manipulation was the purpose, doing the same thing consistently seems besides the point. It would also seem to be a rather feeble attempt to hide something that's already in plain sight, as the messages are displayed in the very context of the thread they originate from. They are out there for the world to see and I can't change that, nor do I want to.

Even though I hope we can put aside these differences, I fear that my words will not change the way things are. If this is the case, I have to kindly ask you to keep your worries to yourself, start a conversation about the matter elsewhere or, if you're convinced of foul play, ask a member of the moderation crew to look into what transpired. This thread is about a lab upgrade and associated considerations. Comments on this are obviously more than welcome.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:48:49 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 11:31:04 pm »
Thanks to everyone who contributed in a useful fashion to this thread. You've given me a lot to consider, research and think about. I've gone back and forth on a number of things and thoroughly confused myself a few times too, but I think I've made some progress.

- I've decided to hold out for the Siglent SDS1204X-E. Obviously, the reports have to be favourable if and when it arrives, or I will go for the DS1054Z instead. We'll see how things pan out. In the meantime, I've ordered a Velleman WFS210, in the hopes it will be enough to keep the momentum of a few projects going until the SDS1204X-E materializes. I'm very much aware that this the project in itself that I wanted to avoid and that it's barely comparable to the real oscilloscopes, but the main attraction that it's cheap. Cheap enough to be a bit cavalier with it and any experimentation done to and with it. Again, we'll see.

- Looking at power supplies, I've been trawling through eBay and similar sites for a good deal, but haven't quite been able to locate any. If nothing pops up, I will probably go for the dual channel Korad. It's cheap enough for it not to be a total disaster if it doesn't turn out to be good, but by all accounts, it's actually decent. It's linear, it's programmable and it can take some abuse. Adding a supply with more provenance later is always an option, in which case the Korad could serve as a supply for more adventurous experiments.

- Other than the light flicker issue, the Quick seems to be unbeatable. It should serve my purposes more than adequately and should allow me to start prototyping with some of the more awkward packages.

- Tempting as it is, I think I have to put my multimeter desires aside for a while, at least until I have some of the other gear sorted.

- I'm also looking to buy a basic set of decent banana leads. Maybe something like silicone Hirschmann leads of a few different lengths. I'm working with cheap Chinese variants now, but I'm getting less and less amused by shoddy workmanship, metal flakes in my test lead sockets and so forth.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:30:08 am by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 02:50:37 pm »
I've been talking to someone about HP E3631A, but it looks like it just got snapped up. I don't seem to have much luck when it comes to power supplies, so I may very well just go for the dual output Korad. Yes, I'm aware they're not quite the same breed. My main concern right now is that I can power microcontroller and FPGA circuits, and that I can characterize small SMPSs. Both should be doable, although the latter obviously also needs a programmable load.

It's a shame, but I guess the HP was a bit too expensive anyway.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »
- I'm also looking to buy a basic set of decent banana leads. Maybe something like silicone Hirschmann leads of a few different lengths.
I have a bunch of these myself. IMHO they are very affordable (if you look around a bit for a cheap supplier) and not worth the hassle of using inferior test leads. Even under high load they work as they should.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 02:05:11 am »
I have a bunch of these myself. IMHO they are very affordable (if you look around a bit for a cheap supplier) and not worth the hassle of using inferior test leads. Even under high load they work as they should.
Where did you buy them, if I may ask?

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 04:37:18 pm »
    I have an Instek GPC-3020 and it gets a lot of use. Still, there are two issues I have with it. Both are fixable, but you should know about them

1. the voltage pots are extremely sensitive, and really it could use multiturn pots there, which I plan to add.   Fix, find two compatible multi-turn pots to replace the voltage pots.

2. The second you turn it on a loud fan distracts you from your work and runs like a airliner taxiing to takeoff until you turn the power supply off.  Fix, replace the 24volt fan with a quieter one that includes a thermistor so it only runs fast when major cooling is actually needed.

As per PSU's, I'd recommend you consider quality used linear units from eBay, particularly if you live in the US/CAN (you get greater value from multi-channel output models). Better quality for pennies on the dollar this way.  ;)

Here's a few examples:
[/list]

CDEV,

I have just picked up one of these GPC-3020's, possibly from the ITT demise as well. Mine is coming out of north Florida. I would like to make the changes you have mentioned as well as locate the manuals you referred to in another thread. Did you get to doing anything to it ? If you could point me toward those manuals that would be great. I have done a bit of searching but so far what I have come up with is not too good. Thanks

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
I don't know why you're so adamant to get a rise out of me. I have not had or displayed any ill intent, nor have I deserved your distrust or accusations. To prevent endless nesting and clutter, I've removed all but the last message in the conversation. I've done this consistently in this thread and throughout the forums and no one has taken offence so far, except for you. If manipulation was the purpose, doing the same thing consistently seems besides the point. It would also seem to be a rather feeble attempt to hide something that's already in plain sight, as the messages are displayed in the very context of the thread they originate from. They are out there for the world to see and I can't change that, nor do I want to.

Even though I hope we can put aside these differences, I fear that my words will not change the way things are. If this is the case, I have to kindly ask you to keep your worries to yourself, start a conversation about the matter elsewhere or, if you're convinced of foul play, ask a member of the moderation crew to look into what transpired. This thread is about a lab upgrade and associated considerations. Comments on this are obviously more than welcome.

There is usually no benefit to removing the context in which a response was made -- and there are many disadvantages.

There has been no suggestion of "ill intent", as you cannot easily see from what I wrote since I snipped it. That suggestion is a strawman argument.

It is often insufficient to regard the entire thread as "context": threads naturally divide into sub-threads. One extreme example is the "TEA" thread :) In the absence of a threaded display mechanism, the only way of preserving that useful information is via quoting.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »
We should start a separate thread on this. Yes, I definitely want to fix the loud fan.

Safely.

The documentation I have on it are named

manualfuenteGW-GPC3030D.pdf  and

Tek_PS280-283_Service_Manual_Schematics.pdf  -

will have to see if I can find the links to it. 

Both manuals have relevant info but neither is the exact same unit. You'll see what I mean.

CDEV,

I have just picked up one of these GPC-3020's, possibly from the ITT demise as well. Mine is coming out of north Florida. I would like to make the changes you have mentioned as well as locate the manuals you referred to in another thread.

Did you get to doing anything to it ? If you could point me toward those manuals that would be great. I have done a bit of searching but so far what I have come up with is not too good. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:25:05 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: Old Printer

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:10 pm »
Thanks CDEV,  I have seen the TEK version of the manual, did not realize that was what you were referring to. I'll download it and compare it to my unit when it arrives in a few days. If you find the link to the other that would be great as i have not seen that. Yes, another thread is in order, there are probably a lot of these units out there by now. Maybe right here in the forum.

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:17 pm »
There is usually no benefit to removing the context in which a response was made -- and there are many disadvantages.

There has been no suggestion of "ill intent", as you cannot easily see from what I wrote since I snipped it. That suggestion is a strawman argument.

It is often insufficient to regard the entire thread as "context": threads naturally divide into sub-threads. One extreme example is the "TEA" thread :) In the absence of a threaded display mechanism, the only way of preserving that useful information is via quoting.
As I've stated before, any further discussion on the matter will have to take place elsewhere.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
We should start a separate thread on this. Yes, I definitely want to fix the loud fan.
What helps a lot are rubber fan mounts. A couple of months ago I got a GW Instek PSP-603 bench power supply and it is nice but the fan resonates to the casing.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:33 pm »
For convenience, here's the GW Instek GPC-3020 manuals mentioned above.

The following users thanked this post: Old Printer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf