Author Topic: Using the DE-5000 to measure stray inductance of low-value wirewound resistors  (Read 1126 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all-

Anyone have experience using the DE-5000 to measure the stray inductance of low value wirewound emitter resistors?

I've got a few different emitter resistors here and will post some measurements, but I'm curious if others have done this and found it A) accurate and B) useful?

Thanks.

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

that works well with the DER EE 5000.

Set the meter to LS/LP  with the blue LCR AUTO key, then with the SER/PAL key to LS and D/Q/ESR/phi to ESR. Set the frequency to 100kHz.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
I think the DE-5000 has accuracy specs in the manual relating to the accuracy of measurements at particular impedances. I don't recall if it has accuracy specs of the parasitics though.

Secondary Parameters Accuracy in manual has formulas for accuracy. would be nice if someone bothered to make a graph
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:09:31 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline evava

• Regular Contributor

Anyone have experience using the DE-5000 to measure the stray inductance of low value wirewound emitter resistors?

I have experience using my DE-5000 to measure stray inductance of low value wirewound resistors, but it is not pleasing experience and my DE-5000 behaves exactly the same way as in this post:
(sorry for cross linking) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/strange-behaviour-with-my-de-5000/msg897162/#msg897162.

So  :-//
I think there are better meters for this task.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
he said he had problems with the kelvin clips. I noticed this too and I had to resolder my alligator clips.

I might do experiments on mine in a few weeks, but I have nothing good to compare it to.
I can actually use the formula to calculate error based on the manual.

oh yea, this thing also  got funky with me before from batteries IIRC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf