Author Topic: Very interesting stuff from an Ebay seller (Agilent die!)  (Read 7874 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Very interesting stuff from an Ebay seller (Agilent die!)
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:27:03 am »
Have a look at this sellers stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=svmtechnology&item=253478990100&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XDIE.TRS0&_nkw=DIE&_sacat=0

I'm very curious as to who this is, where they got this stuff, and what equipment they go in! Anybody?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Very interesting stuff from an Ebay seller (Agilent die!)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:21:56 am »
Probably a company that makes RF hybrid modules.
Seller is pretty delusional on pricing though.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »
Or they bought a collection of dies from the Keysight fire sale in California. It seems nearly everything that was in the building is for sale even though a lot of it should have been crushed.
VE7FM

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:22:04 pm »
Those are interesting, but what on earth would someone do with one? If they were a buck or two I might buy one as a curiosity but hunreds? Who has the equipment to utilize a bare die?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:39:51 pm »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:47:20 pm »

The cheapest gold wire thermal-pressure bonder is only $2000 used. It's not a hard entry point.
Gold bonding wires adhere to ENIG well, so basically all PCB fabs can make reasonable quality boards for handling the wire bonding.
Heck, we even sonic bond aluminum wires to ENIG, though the reliability sucks, but for experimental purposes, we are more than satisfied by the result.

Ok they're within the realm of an individual owning one, but I've never met anyone who had one. Even if you do have a bonding machine, what are you going to do with Agilent ASICs? I guess they might be useful for some very specialized repair work, but they're still at least 10x what a reasonable price would be.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »
They're not delusional. If you don't know the price, list at an upper bound or-best-offer and apply your favorite "stopping problem" strategy (e.g. reject first offer, accept first subsequent offer that exceeds it).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:03:04 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:10 pm »
Those are interesting, but what on earth would someone do with one? If they were a buck or two I might buy one as a curiosity but hunreds? Who has the equipment to utilize a bare die?

I used to have a wire bonder... paid around $150 for it, with microscope.   Used it for a while, then somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse and sold it.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 11:23:05 pm »
They're not delusional. If you don't know the price, list at an upper bound or-best-offer and apply your favorite "stopping problem" strategy (e.g. reject first offer, accept first subsequent offer that exceeds it).
I suspect he knows the list price but not the resale value. Anyone who normally buys these will not be buying them on ebay. You often see a similar thing with FPGAs - people look up the price on Digikey and get over-excited.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 11:43:54 pm »

I used to have a wire bonder... paid around $150 for it, with microscope.   Used it for a while, then somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse and sold it.
Special tactics or just really lucky? I've had an ebay watch for a few months now and I think I've seen 1 "lightly broken" bonder at the $500 price point with working bonders starting at twice that.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 11:50:24 pm »
Special tactics or just really lucky? I've had an ebay watch for a few months now and I think I've seen 1 "lightly broken" bonder at the $500 price point with working bonders starting at twice that.

I bought it an equpment auction from a company I used to work for.   They has about a dozen of them.  It could also do some minor wafer probing.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 12:24:53 am »
those 20GHz++ amplifiers @ $60 - 100 per piece look interesting only if... 1) they ship outside USA 2) the datasheet is obtainium
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 01:28:52 am »

I bought it an equpment auction from a company I used to work for.   They has about a dozen of them.  It could also do some minor wafer probing.
Good score! Did they go through a site like fabexchange? I'd like to make sure my skinner box recon list is complete.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 01:39:39 am »

Good score! Did they go through a site like fabexchange? I'd like to make sure my skinner box recon list is complete.

Nope, just a local equipment liquidator.  They moved a facility in California to Texas and dumped a lot of old crap after the move.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 01:55:52 am »
Then I suppose I should figure out who the local liquidators are in my neck of the woods (RTP, North Carolina). We've got a bit of semiconductor R&D presence -- with the Hittite merger and the Qorvo layoffs, maybe something will show up.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 02:11:20 am »

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:50:24 PM »

Quote from: jjoonathan on Today at 05:43:54 PM

I bought it an equpment auction from a company I used to work for.   They has about a dozen of them.  It could also do some minor wafer probing

Did Kulicke and Soffa make the wire bonder?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:12:56 am by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 02:12:37 am »
Did Kulicke and Soffa make the wire bonder?

I don't remember who built it... it was around 1980.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:56 am »
Then I suppose I should figure out who the local liquidators are in my neck of the woods (RTP, North Carolina). We've got a bit of semiconductor R&D presence -- with the Hittite merger and the Qorvo layoffs, maybe something will show up.
Also in RTP area.... no telling, i think. Liquidations can be handled by companies outside of the region. ... then again, im new to trying to find equipment for myself firsthand instead of through rebay/resellers. :)

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:02 am »
Looks like we've got a healthy population of vultures going here in RTP  >:D None of the meat test equipment will go to waste!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:05 am »
When I read the title of this thread I thought is was a Siglent Jihadi war cry!  Given there are multiple items being sold, the title should be (Agilent dice!)
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:07:35 am »
When I read the title of this thread I thought is was a Siglent Jihadi war cry!  Given there are multiple items being sold, the title should be (Agilent dice!)

You are correct, of course. I just wanted to say Agilent die! figuring it would get lots of views.  :-DD
Does anyone know whether Agilent did fab work for third parties? I'm still wondering if these were used in their test gear...
Jay

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:47 am »
i thought only non native could misinterpret. anyway another suggestion from non native could be Agilent dye or Agilent diy. but more precisely i think is Agilent hybrid.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:51 am »
I am being deliberately pedantic but the plural of die is dice.

Either way, it's interesting that these dice have found their way onto eBay but the sellers are quixotic if they think they will get anywhere near their asking price.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 11:49:56 am »
Either way, it's interesting that these dice have found their way onto eBay but the sellers are quixotic if they think they will get anywhere near their asking price.

It's hard to say without knowing what they go to; and that's the problem for the seller. If you knew that one of those might make it possible to fix a $30K piece of gear that's currently being used as a doorstop, then it would be worth it.
Jay

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 02:17:18 pm »
Way back when the company I work for used to have its own fab, it was not uncommon to have rejected wafers out and about. Somewhere I have a couple wafers with memory and what is equivalent to a north-bridge on them. I'd pony up $10 bucks just to show them to kids.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf