Author Topic: VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for CRTU - For the Rohde & Schwarz CRTU and CMU200  (Read 5197 times)

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Hi,

I made a new version of my software, this time for the Rohde & Schwarz CRTU and CMU200 (only tested on the CRTU, which is the device I own - the CMU200 should work just as fine).

You need:

- R&S CRTU or CMU200
- Agilent GPIB/USB Interface (or any other supported GPIB interface)
- Keysight Connection Expert 2018
- VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for CRTU software (free activation key required)

Here a link to a Youtube video, showing what you can do:

I am quite surprised about the refresh rate. It allows a realtime spectrum analysis and with my software this device can now be used as a full featured spectrum analyser!

With time my intention is to increase the functionality, at least so that this version is up to par with the SMA/NWT version, which I developed a lot more in recent times.

As a note, the software works with RS232, too, but at the maximum possible baud rate (115200) the spectrum is updated onlye at 0.5-1 FPS.

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:47:16 pm by Bicurico »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Awesome work as usual Bicurico!

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a device as capable as the CMU200 one day.

One of these days, though, you are going to really regret having three distinct versions of this software. I remember our discussions about open sourcing (or not). It's worth noting that many of the arguments against open sourcing the software regarding enabling Chinese companies to copy/steal it are no longer as valid for the CMU200 and Siglent versions.

In any case, I'm sure other CMU200 owners will be in here thanking you very much!

edit: After watching the video, you really do a lot of work in a short amount of time. Nice masking process!

edit2: Is this actually realtime analysis? I would think you would need specific hardware to fall in that category. I'm having trouble looking for the right keywords to see if that device supports realtime analysis, but my impressions was that it is a regular swept-tune specan.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:57:29 pm by technogeeky »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Hi technogeeky,

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as I am aware of, the R&S CRTU and CMU200 use a FFT approach to render the spectrum, it is not an SSA. This is why it refreshes so quickly. The device itself has an even higher refresh rate than through my software - there is some delay intrduced through GPIB, VISA, my software. But still pretty fast!

The goal of this software version of mine is to be able to do some "modern" measurements with the device. As it is, you cannot do a lot of things and what is possible, is still a little outdated GUI-wise.

Because my main interest is in signal monitoring of radio and TV broadcasts, my software implements those functions - like the automatic transponder recognition. This is much faster than any blind scan, in fact it is instantaneous!

You are right in saying that one version for all would have been a better approach, but then, you need to remember that this is a hobby project and I never thought I would get this far!

Still, doing the CRTU version took much less time as you might think, as it is 95% the same as the SSA3021X version.

I thought about combining both versions and even do an open version, where you could define your device with a configuration file, but that would be much more work than just having one version per device.

But indeed, I can adjust my software for any device, as long as the following requisites are met:

1) The device has to output a series of measurements for the selected span
2) Output may be through RS232, RJ45 or (best case) VISA
3) The device needs to accept START FREQ and END FREQ
4) The device needs to accept some form of RBW/VBW setting, if supported

That is really all!

My software takes care of all the rest...

Regards,
Vitor

PS: Any manufacturer of spectrum analyzer reading this? Contact me: I do a version for your device in exchange of a sample device!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:57:11 am by Bicurico »

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Just installed the software, and tested with my CMU200 (using an Agilent 82357B USB adapater) and it works!  :-+

Offline fisafisa

• Regular Contributor
Hi.
Did you provide the link to the software?
I cannot see it anywhere.

Thanks

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Pretty neat! Thanks!

Offline fisafisa

• Regular Contributor
Hi
You need to have OPSW v5.x installed and activated
Did you really mean OPSW v5 or you mean v5.21 of the DOS application?
Do you run the CRTU into dos or windows?

Thanks

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
I mean the v5.21 DOS software. No special software options required.
Works with both the CRTU and CMU200.

Regards
Vitor

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Hi,

First results on my new tracking generator function:

https://youtu.be/qoHIg93_G9E

Regards,
Vitor

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
New video:

Offline fisafisa

• Regular Contributor
Hi.
I am having trouble installing the application.
It starts with a code generator.
I generate the code and then cut it in the input box.
Then the application closes immediately.

When I restart it it complains about no valid mac address and deletes the code.
Restarting again goes through the start.

The system uses a NI PCI GPIB card.
It has NI VISA and keysight VISA as seconday installation.

Thanks for the help.

Filippo

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Hi,

The software requires a free activation code. You need to send me the system code, which you generate based on the selected MAC address. Please chose the MAC address of your physical network card - do  not use the MAC address of some virtual network card, as those MAC addresses tend to change when the computer is rebooted.

My software has only been tested with the Keysight Connextion Exper 2018 software. I use an Agilent USB-GPIB interface (the ones you can buy for around 90 Euro from Chinese ebay sellers - apparently they are refurbished/cloned/fake, but mine works very well).

Send me an email or PM and I will help you out.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: fisafisa

Offline fisafisa

• Regular Contributor
Hi
Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Offline fisafisa

• Regular Contributor
Hi
I was testing tonight some inductors to check the attenuation vs frequency on a broad spectrum.
In the rig I ended up having some default attenuation vs frequency which I need to subtract from that of the DUT.
Is there a mechanism to zero the measurement?

Thanks, a very useful tool.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf