Author Topic: Voltcraft power supplies any good?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline markus-kTopic starter

• Supporter
Voltcraft power supplies any good?
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:20:50 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for an okay-ish but not too expensive power supply, as I'm tired of powering projects from batteries or fixed-voltage wallbricks.  Does anyone have experience with one of this series: http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/513911/VOLTCRAFT-PPS-11360-180W-2-Output-Programmable-DC-Power-Supply-Switched-Mode-Bench ? I really like the small formfactor as I don't have a lot of space on my desk. I tried searching the forum for some opinions, but some say they are very nice, others say they are crap, probably really depends on the model. Voltcraft power supplies are probably just rebranded China-supplies I'd guess, but haven't seen this one with another name on it yet.

Maybe any other recommendations for a decent supply? Ideally < 150€, used is okay if it's a good one.

Thank you

Online hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voltcraft power supplies any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:31:15 am »
Is "2 output" a deliberate attempt to deceive?

As far as I can see, it is one output with two sets of terminals.

Do you need remote control option?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:35:41 am »
This one (like many of the Voltcrafts) is a Manson rebadge: http://www.manson.com.hk/products/detail/149

Supposedly Manson is a good brand, so it's probably fine!

As for the "2 outputs" thing: Conrad is a German company, and their English is often... to put it charitably, "wonky". Don't read any malice into it. (Nearly every electronics vendor I've seen in the German-speaking world has seemingly assigned their English translation to an intern. I've even seen them translate specs back from German to lousy English instead of just copying the American manufacturer's original English :palm: )

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
Is "2 output" a deliberate attempt to deceive?

As far as I can see, it is one output with two sets of terminals.

Do you need remote control option?

As tooki said, it seems a bit of a bad translation, it's one output with two terminals.

Both features are rather nice to have than actually required.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:45:45 am »
Upon closer inspection, the German product description is wrong, too, with this unit showing up under a parametric search for "Ausgänge: 2". I'm thinking this was more likely an unknowledgeable person doing the data entry.

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »
The 2 output confusion likely comes from the fact that there is a set of outputs on both the front and the rear.

EDIT: My apologies to hexreader. I missed the "sets" word in his description of the terminals in my early-morning scan of the thread.  I didn't realize someone had already mentioned the redundant output connections. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:17:01 pm by klunkerbus »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:12:52 pm »
The 2 output confusion likely comes from the fact that there is a set of outputs on both the front and the rear.
Well yes, we all understood this from the start. The issue is that whoever entered this unit into the database didn't understand that in power supplies, "output" doesn't mean the number of connectors, but rather has the specific meaning of independent, electrically separate outputs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:14:27 pm by tooki »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
I would call a power supply with two independent sets of outputs a dual channel supply. I do not think I have seen the term dual output before. Plenty of power supplies have the outputs together with sense terminals on a barrier strip on the back.

Voltcraft is usually rebadged from China (or Taiwan back when that was the home for cheap electronics). Hence the somewhat variable quality ranging from barely adequate to mediocre. I have no experience with this particular power supply. One advantage is that they sometimes provide more documentation (including schematics and communication protocols) than easily available from the OEM.

I personally would not buy a cheap switch mode bench supply. I trust these companies to (barely) get a linear bench supply right, but a switch mode bench supply is much easier to screw up. Feed it some RF and the regulation goes completely wonky, that kind of fun. But again, no experience with this particular one.

Going only down to 1 V, and not the 0 V as is standard for bench supplies, can be limiting for some applications (e.g. using it as current source to find a short in a PCB). If you only need 30 V / 5 A, then there are various linear supplies (like the Korad KA3005 that seems fairly robust after the upgrade) that are just as small and cheap.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
Hi,

I can't give you an advise for this specific model that you want to buy, but . . . .

A few years ago I bought a Voltcraft VLP-2403, linear, two channel 0-40V/3A + 3-6V/2A. From todays perspective I would not buy it again. From the outside it looks good. Internaly it is somewhat slapped together. One LCD failed realy quick, because the tiny screws on the LCD module got loose and so the pressure on the zebra strips disappeared. Was not fixable by tightening the screws, because the screw holes were worn out from the beginning.
Then in the last few weeks the current limit of one channel got unpredictable. No matter what you adjust, it does its own thing. The cause is some lose connection due to the superb internal construction quality.

For that money I could have get a nice used HP/Agilent unit, or other name brands.

Also funny is, when you turn it on in the right point of your mains half wave, then the whole metal chassis is vibrating. And my old Tektronix scope starts triggering on something  :palm:

But that is only true for my specific unit. But I would spend the 215€ on a used name brand unit.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:17:05 pm by 128er »

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:04 pm »
Voltcraft is ok, but re-branded Chinese equipment.
If you search well, you can find cheaper equipment with exactly the same specs.
Great for buying at the second hand market.

what I normally do is tweak them/replace the crappy parts.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 01:56:23 pm »
I had a few Voltcraft power supplies in the past but they all had problems, so I never bought one again. Internally they are cheap china stuff.

For that money you are willing to spend, get a used Agilent PSU that will last forever.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »
Not all Voltcaft PSUs are China cheapies. I got an old one made in East Germany, still running fine.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
Not all Voltcaft PSUs are China cheapies. I got an old one made in East Germany, still running fine.

I bet it is made by Statron in the GDR. They are quite good!

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »
Thank you for your advice guys. Haven't seen the Manson one on Reichelt before, but yeah.. After putting a bit more thought into it I decided to put an offer on an HP E3611A on eBay. Quality of these is probably not even comparable to most China supplies. Bit less bang for the buck, but at least you know what you're getting. Did almost the same when I was thinking about buying a Uni-T multimeter a while ago and ended up with a proper Fluke, and didn't regret it  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:50:27 pm by markus-k »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf