Author Topic: Wavetek 1002 - Should I steal the nice little attenuator, or get it up to speed?  (Read 892 times)

Offline planetplabsTopic starter

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place. This is as much a general question/discussion prompt as a specific one. I'm pretty much over my boat anchor days so everything old and heavy is getting chucked/sold, parted out, or determined to have a high value to weight /volume ratio and will be allowed to stay on my bench.

I searched the forum for Wavetek 1002 but didn't find anything. It is an older RF/sweep generator that goes up to about 500 Mhz. The frequency adjustment is very coarse which makes it rather fiddly to use. It works, but it doesn't seem to be quite all there and if it's going to stay on my bench then I would have to spend some time going through it.

I only saw one on ebay which someone is asking a laughable $750 or so for. I'm sure that this cost me something between free and $5.

Looking inside the attenuator  looks like a lovely little bit to rip out for a DIY project, frankly, just having that in a box with a couple of BNC connectors on the front could be useful. I imagine the output amplifier which is in a nice shielded can might also be useful. I'm not convinced the rest is much use, maybe the main oscillator/mixer, I don't know.

Anyway, my sense of stuff like this is that it is essentially worthless today. By worthless I mean below the threshold at which I would bother with selling it, which is something on the order of $100, less if I'm going to a hamfest with a bunch of stuff.

As a wobbulator I find it too fiddly because the frequency is a single turn pot. I suspect that it's meant for more wideband tuning tasks than the kinds of things that I would use a sweep generator for, e.g., IF filters.

Has anyone used one of these? Am I missing something? Is it pure sacrilege to part this thing out?   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf