Author Topic: Wavetek 182A transformer question  (Read 1745 times)

Offline GreyWoolfeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Wavetek 182A transformer question
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:35 am »
I bought  a Wavetek 182A from a fellow ham that doesn't work.  He said he was checking it to sell it and when plugged in, the magic smoke came out of the transformer.  I also visually found a 22uF 25V Tantalum cap and an associated resister blackened.  Since there is no voltage out of the supply, I started looking for a replacement transformer.  Googling the mfr and Wavetek part numbers yielded nothing.  Con anyone recommend a replacement transformer?  It isn't important to me to have a dual input voltage transformer.  I am just trying to see if it is economical to repair.  If not, I will just strip it for components.

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Wavetek 182A transformer question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:47:26 am »
Looking at the schematic it looks like a 18+ Volt transformer should work, as it is feeding a 15v regulator
lets see if I get a reply on this thread, first.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/wavetek-182a-repair/15/

BTW I should get the 1952B manual hopefully on BAMA this week, tests and work kept me from doing it earlier.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:54:48 am by Vgkid »
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:48:16 am »
Check the transformer by itself. Probably there is a short in the PCB caused by bad caps, resistors or diodes and the transformer is good. Check fuses if there is any. Good luck.

Offline GreyWoolfeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
sorry to take so long to get back.  I did and the transformer has no voltage out.

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf