Author Topic: Well I finally ordered a Rigol DM3058E  (Read 21295 times)

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Well I finally ordered a Rigol DM3058E
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:47 am »
Got a UPS tracking number today!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »
I ordered my DM3058E yesterday, along with a DS1074Z and DP832.  The scope and power supply shipped today with an estimate of January 4 for the meter.  So much for getting stock before the end of the year.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:01 pm »
I ordered my DM3058E yesterday, along with a DS1074Z and DP832.  The scope and power supply shipped today with an estimate of January 4 for the meter.  So much for getting stock before the end of the year.

My scheduled delivery was for today - Dec 19, but tracking the package still shows it sitting in a nearby town. Every other time I've had a package scheduled for delivery it shows "Out for delivery" in the morning. UPS must be a train wreck because of the holidays.  :-//

Perhaps tomorrow.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:00 pm »
Don't loose hope, my UPS man showed up at 9:30PM the other night :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
Don't loose hope, my UPS man showed up at 9:30PM the other night :o

Still says delivery today by the end of the day, yet the package has not even arrived in town. Well if it's going to arrive by midnight they got a lot of logistics to accomplish.  :phew:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 12:40:25 am »
Yep - UPS is Slammed.

Now delivery is tomorrow because they got backed up from the ice storm we recently had -

Dallas Area Service Update

Service Update
UPS is currently making pickups and deliveries in all ZIP codes that have had severe winter weather. We continue to make every effort to deliver peak season packages across the U.S. in time for Christmas. The Dallas-Ft. Worth metropolitan area continues to experience service delays resulting from a backlog of packages.

Progress is being made in the Dallas area with over 3,500 additional UPS employees and seasonal workers assisting in processing and delivering packages. We will be delivering on Saturday and Sunday in the Dallas Metroplex and other impacted areas of Texas and Oklahoma. We are dedicated to moving shipments to their final destinations as quickly as possible.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »
Update - still empty handed.  :wtf:

They are so backed up from the ice storm we had they still haven't been able to deliver my meter. It was delayed from Wed to Thurs., from Thurs. to Fri. then Sat when I tracked it, it just said "An Exception Has Occurred - your package has been delayed.  :palm: Well, WTF - no kidding.

Later Sat it was changed to "Deliver by Monday", so I gave up and drove to the UPS delivery center to see if I could get it myself. There were a lot of people there wanting to do the same thing, freaking out because they needed their xmas presents. Unfortunately, I failed to get the meter, as the lady said it was not available to them to get yet.

The message on the main UPS site claims they are delivering on Sat. and Sun, but since it's Sun. I guess I'll just wait ONE MORE DAY. Geez. I thought UPS was the world leader in logistics?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 12:01:01 am »
Got it!

Unbelievably the UPS truck came around 4 PM on a Sunday. Here's the box that was in the main shipping box - box #2. If you want to see more unboxing pics let me know.  :)

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 11:40:39 am »
Got it!

Unbelievably the UPS truck came around 4 PM on a Sunday. Here's the box that was in the main shipping box - box #2. If you want to see more unboxing pics let me know.  :)

At the first glance I got the "PACKING LIST ENCLOSED" label... a little bit wrong. Is that the right time one should get his head examined?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:42:14 am by Zbig »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
And here we have box #3 - triple-boxed.

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »
Congratulations on your new DMM!
Be sure to let us know how you like it. Actually a review would be nice...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »
Congratulations on your new DMM!
Be sure to let us know how you like it. Actually a review would be nice...

Thanks. It's definitely new - the calibration sheet is from Oct this year. I don't have much to add to any reviews already existing, except to add that the built-in help system isn't of much use - too simplistic to be of any practical use. Another oddity is that the AC cord came with a right angle connector on the end that plugs into the meter. Funny thing is, it doesn't fit well simply because the cord then interferes with the rubber bumper right there at the corner. Hmmm.  :-\ The DM3058 manual shows an AC cord that is not a right angle but straight. No biggie - I simply swapped it out with another cord I had, and used the right angle on a PS that needed one like that because of where it is sitting on my bench.

Also, the manual still suffers from Chinese-tranlationitis, much like many things coming out of that area.  :o

However, on the upside the instrument itself is extremely capable and works as advertised. I'm very satisfied with my decision.  :-+

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 02:19:19 am »
Grad it got there!! thanks for the business.

Nice to ready my staff took care of everything on our side.

If your bored and want to write a quick review I would appreciate it.

www.tequipment.net

Thanks
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 02:41:55 am »
Grad it got there!! thanks for the business.

Nice to ready my staff took care of everything on our side.

Yea I have nothing but good things to say about your company.  :) Now UPS ... that's another story. I heard through the grapevine that they weren't delayed so much by the ice storm as much as by an Amazon distribution center that was opened in the DFW metroplex, and were slammed by a new influx of xmas packages from it. Still researching that rumor.

If your bored and want to write a quick review I would appreciate it.

www.tequipment.net

Thanks
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

Let me play with it for a week or so. Also, look for an order from me this spring for a new O-scope.  ;)

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
I purchased a DS1074Z from you guys. The service was fantastic! It however, did ship out on the expected ship date. I certainly will be back if I need more Rigol products. *thinks about a new DSA815-TG*
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »
Yea I have nothing but good things to say about your company. 

I've bought lots of stuff from them also, always happy, wish they'd pick up Hameg.

Offline kandrey89

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 02:02:45 am »
Has anyone noticed a bug in DC Current measurement under Auto Ranging mode?

When in DC Current measurement mode and using auto range, going up in current from 2.3mA to 2.8mA to 3.6mA will result in an infinite relay switching between 2.4mA and 3.5mA.
In manual range mode it's OK, but they have shitty hysteresis between ~2.399mA and ~3.499mA when increasing current and using auto range.

Keithley PicoAmmeter 6485 has no such problem, and Rigol DM3058e only has this problem for that specific current range switch, other ranges are OK and there is no problem for voltage auto range switching, at least for this specific 2mV to 3mV that I tested.

Also they do not allow you to set termination characters for send and receive, instead you have to figure out that for send you need to use "\r\n" and for receive you'll need to catch "\n" only.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 02:08:50 am »
Has anyone noticed a bug in DC Current measurement under Auto Ranging mode?

When in DC Current measurement mode and using auto range, going up in current from 2.3mA to 2.8mA to 3.6mA will result in an infinite relay switching between 2.4mA and 3.5mA.
In manual range mode it's OK, but they have shitty hysteresis between ~2.399mA and ~3.499mA when increasing current and using auto range.

I hadn't come across it but tomorrow I'll try to duplicate it unless I forget or someone else does it first.  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 09:40:23 pm »

Just finished testing it - mine did not do that. It switched at about 2.37 mA going up and not again until I went back down and switched at 2.01 mA.

Tried it many times and no infinite relay switching.  :-//

Just to document the setup I used a 470 ohm resistor so the voltages were in the 0.9 to 1.5 V range.

Offline kandrey89

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 03:28:55 am »
I was using a photodiode illuminated by a LED light source, but the hysterysis on the photodiode current couldn't have been that large, it was an LED with DC current.

I think I also remember trying it with a Keithley 6485 subfemto SMU where I fed DC current from 1.9mA in steps of 0.1mA up to 3.5mA. At 2.4mA the relay started banging, and no readings were made because the relay would not stop switching until I hit 3.5mA.
My Rigol version is v01.01.00.02.03.01 please post yours.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 11:46:03 am »
I was using a photodiode illuminated by a LED light source, but the hysterysis on the photodiode current couldn't have been that large, it was an LED with DC current.

Try it like I did with a simple resistor and see what happens.  :-//

Mine is different -

v01.01.00.02.02.01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 01:10:50 am »

Well? What did you determine if anything?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf