Author Topic: What else can I do with RIGOL DS1054Z appart from measuring waveforms?  (Read 15048 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
This is because Dave in his comparison didn't use the Deep Memory feature (switching the mode from "Trace" to "Memory") available in new Rigol DS1054Z firmware versions (Dave you were unfair and many people believed in your review).  This is how you get the real FFT on the DS1054Z
Little bit better than it was but still a completely useless joke.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
This is because Dave in his comparison didn't use the Deep Memory feature (switching the mode from "Trace" to "Memory") available in new Rigol DS1054Z firmware versions (Dave you were unfair and many people believed in your review).  This is how you get the real FFT on the DS1054Z
Little bit better than it was but still a completely useless joke.

Let's see: The cheapest spectrum analyzer on Batronix is over $1000

http://www.batronix.com/shop/spectrum-analyzer/index.html

But somehow you want that included as standard in a $400 oscilloscope?   :palm:

Hey, don't let that stop you wrecking another DS1054Z thread though. Gotta keep the standards up.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Hopefully this tread won't be derailed but GW instek somehow offers 1 million point  FFT in their <$400 GDS-1054B. Which is proven to work very well. And after the firmware update, it became much easier to use than on Daves's video where he admits it works well but don't like clunky control.
Hey, don't let that stop you wrecking another DS1054Z thread though. Gotta keep the standards up.
Frankly you should be the last person saying this, because you are bashing every other scope other than Rigol in non Rigol treads. Or bringing other manufacturers in treads about Rigol issues and derailing them in this way.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:24:20 am by wraper »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Gentlemen, can we please stop turning yet another thread into a useless argument about the value or non-value of Rigol's FFT implementation? As already confirmed by Athanasis, the application he is interested in has nothing to do with FFT.
Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, ebclr

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
This guy is selling a Keisight on ebay, and try to blame the best performance value on the market ( rigol ) to help he find buyers interested this expensive crap time bomb

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Frankly you should be the last person saying this, because you are bashing every other scope other than Rigol in non Rigol treads. Or bringing other manufacturers in treads about Rigol issues and derailing them in this way.

Really? Examples please. :-DD

No don't bother. I already know what you're thinking. It's true I did mention "Rigol" in both of the threads about Keysight failures - but only to point out that people like you were defending Keysight where you'd be attacking Rigol. Outside of those two threads? Not a chance. Why on earth would I go into a thread about more expensive scopes and say anything about Rigol. I freely admit that more expensive scopes are better - why wouldn't they be?

Hopefully this tread won't be derailed but GW instek somehow offers 1 million point  FFT in their <$400 GDS-1054B. Which is proven to work very well. And after the firmware update, it became much easier to use than on Daves's video where he admits it works well but don't like clunky control.
Sure, but the $400 GW-Instek is only 50Mhz,  no serial decoders, less memory... it loses out to the Rigol on other ways.

Besides, not everybody is obsessed by FFTs. The fact that the DS1054Z's FFT is a weak point doesn't mean that people shouldn't buy them

Offline wraper

• Supporter
This guy is selling a Keisight on ebay, and try to blame the best performance value on the market ( rigol ) to help he find buyers interested this expensive crap time bomb
LOL, really? Guess who is topic starter: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-u1272a-crappy-soldering/

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Sigh.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Fungus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Sigh.
+1 or  :-DD I don't know what came out first.

What did you expect other than another pissing competition.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Back to the topic. If you manage to sweep CH1 so the whole frequency range fits inside the screen (roll mode could be useful for this) and measure the voltage with CH2 then you can get something like what asked in the first post. There won't be any frequency divisions on the screen, however if you want to check precisely, you can later zoom in (acquisition stopped) and check the frequency at particular part with automated measurement. And you can check actual voltage at this frequency in this part with automated voltage measurement on CH2.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:49:38 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Another solution would be to use segmented recording (trigger on the sine wave) and read the values from automatic measurements while scrolling through the segments.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AthanasisTopic starter

• Contributor
Thanks for your suggestions guys but they all sound pain in the ass. The best solution is exporting into Excel of lets say 100 different Values on 2 columns (CH1 and CH2) and let Excel plot the curve. I haven't tried it out yet but I read that Rigol can write Data on a USB memory stick.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Yes, you can write the waveform data in CSV format to a USB stick. Then, load it into your favorite spreadsheet and make graphs.

(No brands were harmed in the production of this forum post.)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf