Author Topic: What is actually fixed in Rigol dp832(a) Rev3?  (Read 19302 times)

Offline ivayloTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What is actually fixed in Rigol dp832(a) Rev3?
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:47 am »
OK, Tequipment.net seem to be willing to take it back. The question is do I ask for a replacement when they get them (presumable the "improved"(?) Rev3 board one) or do I look for something else?

The bugs discovered by Dave and forum were:
  • the overheating heatsink / voltage regulator
  • the messed up ammeter readout when current is under 12mA or so
  • the output voltage spike when turning on the unit

And mine exhibited all three. So what is fixed in the ones with the Rev3 board? All three? Just #1 (I see they put a larger heatsink)? To be honest #2 and #3 bugged me as much if not more. Not sure about #2 but I have the feeling #3 could not be fixed by a firmware update. Would greatly appreciate it if someone with a Rev3 unit does a quick check or points me to the right direction if this was already established.

BTW, has anyone seen later than Rev3 boards yet on that power supply?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: What is actually fixed in Rigol dp832(a) Rev3?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:53:53 am »

No, but I have been told by Rigol that the Rev 3 board was a result of my video. They had already fixed the heatsink issue in Rev 2 with the bigger heatsink, or at least they thought they had, but they have made it bigger again in the Rev 3 because they confirmed my resetting issue and the Rev 2 heatsink wasn't big enough for the extremes of the mains ranges.

The power on spike has been fixed I believe.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:12:34 am »

No, but I have been told by Rigol that the Rev 3 board was a result of my video. They had already fixed the heatsink issue in Rev 2 with the bigger heatsink, or at least they thought they had, but they have made it bigger again in the Rev 3 because they confirmed my resetting issue and the Rev 2 heatsink wasn't big enough for the extremes of the mains ranges.

The power on spike has been fixed I believe.

That would be very good!  The power on spike and the overheating (and the readout) were notable issues but if they have been corrected the product should be very popular and generate good sales for Rigol.  Congrats to Rigol for taking the corrective actions and congrats to EEVblog and all the forum members who helped provide feedback to Rigol.  (Maybe some recent buyers can confirm all 3 items have been fixed?) 

PS, any word on what caused the power on spike?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:18:09 am by Electro Fan »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:25:03 am »
(Maybe some recent buyers can confirm all 3 items have been fixed?) 

AFAIK, no rev 3 boards have hit the shelves yet.

PS, any word on what caused the power on spike?

No word.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:04:26 pm »
Is there a way to tell if the boards we are rockin' are rev 1 or rev 2, without taking the case off? Such as by included firmware version or calibration date etc.

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:26 pm »
Is there a way to tell if the boards we are rockin' are rev 1 or rev 2, without taking the case off? Such as by included firmware version or calibration date etc.
I was able to see the board rev marking (V2.0) on my 832 thru the vent holes on the side.  I could also see the heatsink was located right next to the caps same as the one Dave reviewed.  It was interesting that my S/N was less than 40 units away from the one that Dave reviewed.  I received my unit on Monday, Sept. 16th so I was surprised to have a unit that close given the time that's passed between Dave's order and mine not to mention being half a world away.
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09:46 pm »
AFAIK, no rev 3 boards have hit the shelves yet.

A few weeks ago, TEquipment.net told me they had a shipment of "fixed" DP832 arriving within 3 - 6 weeks. I placed an order for one, and just today received an email indicating the order was processed. Will post back here with what I get.

Can someone tell me where to look / best way to determine which Rev it is?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »
Maybe I'm confused - or not...

The "original" DP832 that Dave took apart with the bad thermal design - that is actually "rev2" as listed on the board, isn't it?  We are calling it Rev1 because it was the first unit we've seen, but it's actually Rev2 per the markings on the PCB.

Rev3 (what we're calling Rev2) is a design with an updated heat sink.

Rev4 (what we're calling Rev3) is an update on the heat sink fixed unit which includes an even bigger heat sink, and a fix for the power on spike.

Is that correct?

So the "Fixed" units that TE is talking about actually have the Rigol Rev3 (our Rev2) board... and there is an even newer Rigol Rev4 that hasn't hit the pipeline yet.

Right?
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:06 am »

The "original" DP832 that Dave took apart with the bad thermal design - that is actually "rev2" as listed on the board, isn't it?  We are calling it Rev1 because it was the first unit we've seen, but it's actually Rev2 per the markings on the PCB.

Rev4 (what we're calling Rev3) is an update on the heat sink fixed unit which includes an even bigger heat sink, and a fix for the power on spike.

Is that correct?

So the "Fixed" units that TE is talking about actually have the Rigol Rev3 (our Rev2) board... and there is an even newer Rigol Rev4 that hasn't hit the pipeline yet.

Right?

I sure hope not, as it means I'll be sending this one back immediately.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:29 am »
IIRC, there was a 2.1 (or some dot number) after my one, so the final fixed one Rev 3. But don't quote me on that.
In any case we'll know when we see the actual board, as it should have an even bigger heatsink that that shown on the one I posted.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:34 am »

Is that correct?

Right?

I sure hope not, as it means I'll be sending this one back immediately.

Could you please check the power on spike and low power reading bug when you get it?  If those are fixed, it should be golden.  It could be that the heat sink fix Dave saw was just a preview of an intermediate board that never ended up being used to fix the problem, because Rigol saw his video and then decided to actually fix it in a more 'serious' manner (and the power on/reading bug).  I think if you don't see any of the 3 known bugs, you should be good (and then I can send mine back to Rigol for fixing!).

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 01:53:06 am »
Could you please check the power on spike and low power reading bug when you get it?  If those are fixed, it should be golden.  It could be that the heat sink fix Dave saw was just a preview of an intermediate board that never ended up being used to fix the problem, because Rigol saw his video and then decided to actually fix it in a more 'serious' manner (and the power on/reading bug).  I think if you don't see any of the 3 known bugs, you should be good (and then I can send mine back to Rigol for fixing!).

Absolutely. I'll check and post here straight away. I still haven't gotten a shipping notice / tracking number yet, though.

Offline JohannP

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 02:15:35 pm »
OK, I have an DP832A on order with Tequipment since the 8th July 2013. After Dave's video I have put this order on hold until Rigol have sort out their problems. My instructions to Tequipment were not to cancel the order but only to ship when they are sure the all the problems were shorted.

Now I see the shipping date for my order will be the 24 October 2013 only. So hopefully Rigol and Tequipment are confident that the problems are shorted, or at least I hope so as I have paid good money for this PSU in July all ready and is still waiting patiently for it.

Best regards

Johann.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:20:15 pm by JohannP »

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:41:29 pm »
I just got notified mine shipped from tequipment.net so I should be able to report the changes in a couple of days.  These are the new "fixed" variety.

Offline LoyalServant

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 03:55:52 pm »
Do you guys know what they are doing for folks that have < rev 3 boards?
I was really looking at getting one of these but Dave's findings sort of put me off.
If they sort it then great.. but I don't want one that will tank on me.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
I was really looking at getting one of these but Dave's findings sort of put me off.

My guess is you'd have to contact Rigol support and see if they will do something.  Or report a thermal issue and see.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »

Several people have already asked Rigol and TEquipment.net in the USA about this.  Read specifically the last 6 posts on this page:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-512-rigol-dp832-bad-design-investigation/405/

Anyway, as per what grego said immediately above your post, there is apparently a new fixed revision shipping, so we will hopefully have lots of reports here soon of the revision.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
Just a quick peek inside the new DP832 -- mind you I just got mine and the stupid analog board (bottom board) is failing self-test so I might have to poke around but the heat sinking loots pretty much totally different now.  Apologies on the pictures, I only had my cell phone handy.

This is board rev 2.10 dated 2013-03-27.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 08:20:34 pm »
Just a quick peek inside the new DP832 -- mind you I just got mine and the stupid analog board (bottom board) is failing self-test so I might have to poke around but the heat sinking loots pretty much totally different now.  Apologies on the pictures, I only had my cell phone handy.

This looks like the first revision with a slightly-larger heatsink, as shown here in Dave's photo.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:01 pm »
Has anyone in the USA heard about the recall?

I contacted Rigol USA and heard nothing back.  Then I read that TE was saying Rigol were waiting on fixed boards, and IIRC said Rigol will be fixing defective units at no cost.  It's been quite a few weeks and we've heard nothing else, although clearly updated units are now shipping.

What's the process for getting the recall done for USA customers?

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:49 pm »
Has anyone in the USA heard about the recall?

I contacted Rigol USA and heard nothing back.  Then I read that TE was saying Rigol were waiting on fixed boards, and IIRC said Rigol will be fixing defective units at no cost.  It's been quite a few weeks and we've heard nothing else, although clearly updated units are now shipping.

What's the process for getting the recall done for USA customers?

I submit a form on a Rigol website related to the DP800 series upgrade, but haven't heard anything yet.  See this post, and the link within.

New units, and ones which have had board changes already, are possibly all coming from China to Rigol's warehouses for distribution.  I'm guessing Rigol NA are still working on getting the logistics of the recall worked out, and discussing with distributors how it will take place.

Also, updates for US customers are likely "low priority" because of the lower 110V AC mains.  Because of the lower voltage, we're less likely to experience extreme temperature on the LM317 or the resetting issue.  I've never had a reset on my DP832, and I don't recall anyone else in US posting that they experienced a reset.  Probably the first batches of new boards are going out to countries where the issue is more critical.

Edit: Also this post; we just have to be patient a bit :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:00:36 pm by Sparky »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:51 pm »

This looks like the first revision with a slightly-larger heatsink, as shown here in Dave's photo.

Hey marmad!

It's beginning to look like the larger heatsink might not have made it into the board updates?!?  :-//

According to this Rigol page, the newest board revision is 2.1. 

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
2.10 is the board revision I just got on Friday.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 10:08:27 pm »
It's beginning to look like the larger heatsink might not have made it into the board updates?!?  :-//
Well, in the post you link to, John South mentions the larger heatsink versions will be leaving China around Oct. 17th - so still in the future. Perhaps it will be another 3-4 months or so before that size is found as standard.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »
2.10 is the board revision I just got on Friday.

Yep, so it's definitely the updated version, I was just expecting to see even larger heat sinks (like shown in the links above)...so, bit of a surprise...

The sense wiring doesn't look any different.  Can you comment on the "out of spec" result when shorting the terminals?  See here

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf