Author Topic: What Was The Latest Scopeview Version For the Metex 9150 Test Set?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline DawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What Was The Latest Scopeview Version For the Metex 9150 Test Set?
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:34 am »
I've got a MCM version of the Metex MS-9150 working again and the software diskette that came with cable kit was Scopeview V1.09 when it was purchased as an accessory kit from MCM. It apparently will not run under XP even these units I think are still available as the 9150/60 and the newer 9170, I can't find a hint of support for the software or if any of the latter Metex/Unisource or any of the jobbers such as MCM,Tenma,Elenco,Voltcraft,Conrad or anyone else that sold these has updated software that will work with this unit. If they still make it with the DB25 RS-232, something must work with it. The Metex.KR address doesn't seem to get any response if you write them or look at their website for any downloads or support.

Does anyone know of what the latest software is and where to find it? I've seen Unisource handhelds shown packed with a CD during past years and wonder if that is a more updated product that will work with XP or later.  The Tenma72-5085 should be the full,standard version of the MS-9150 with the 4000 count DMM, 1.2 gig timer/counter with no differences unlike some of the other OEM versions that had reduced features and specs that looked just like it. I did find an independent freeware Mscope that's supposed to work with some of the Metex  meters and a V1.08 searching, but I'd like to find the last version. This unit must have been manufactured after the 42 week of 2003 by latest date codes  on some of the chips, well into XP dating. I've seen data sheets with the 9150/9160 as co-products under the Unisource label dating to 2006 or 2007, not sure on that when I was trying to find a veneer drive replacement for one of the earlier MS-9140 units. I'd really appreciate any help on this.

TIA,

dwt

• Regular Contributor
Re: What Was The Latest Scopeview Version For the Metex 9150 Test Set?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »
I have the v1.09 scopeview software up and running under an old laptop running win 98. Still no communiction with the supplied DB-25-db-25 cable that came in the box with a 9 pin adapter. The software setup asks for the baud rate stop bits, etc and also asks you to choose from several  Metex models, none of which are the 3640d. I've tried all but the ME series meters and no joy. I did find a polish publication that mentioned the older dos version setup was 1200, 7 bit, 2 stop  bits which my manual has absolutely nothing on computer interfacing for either the 9140 or 9150. There's nothing in the doc files even though the disk specifically is labeled that it's for the Tenma 72-5085 which is the 9150. From the polish docs, there's supposed to be an annunciator in the display once the software makes the connection. There's no DOS version on this disk, just the Scopeview. The polish docs mention selecting the metex 3850/3830 for the dos version, but nothing again for the windows scope view which has a parameter screen. I'm wondering if the db25-db-9 adapter flipped the tx/rx lines at this point.

alm

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »
QtDMM claims to support the MS9160, which might be compatible with the MS9150. Not sure if there's a Windows version available. Skimming the source, it looks to me like the MS9160 would just output a continuous stream of results in ASCII format. Hooking up a scope to the TX line should show a signal if that's the case.

Another program that looks like it would support the MS9150 and Windows 8 is DMM Profilab, which looks like a low-end version of Labview. €50 (Conrad has it for €40) might be more than you're willing to spend, though.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:54:15 am »
I got the meter talking to the computer. None of this appears to be documented in the US docs and nothing but the cable and diskette come along with the accessory with nothing in the doc files except for meter usage.

From the scopeview program setup, select: com port, 1200 baud, and M38XX, save settings but leave open.

In Device Manager open the LPT & Com port setup. Set the com port you're using to 1200, 7 bit, SPACE and 2 stop bits. Make sure the meter is on and then click on "turn on". If it initalizes, you'll see numbers. On my unit, there is no icon displayed on the meter screen when connected.

If you thought the meter is slow on these units, wait to you see the software. It's worthless for anything more then data logging. The "scope sweep" is a joke unless a one second sample plot is their idea of sweep. The analog bar graph has a few second delay when used in volt meter mode. Apparently, at some time, they quit distributing this Scopeview product by AGA software and replaced it with a Canadian BBT&T product called Metview. I can't find a copy on the net, just dead links, but the executable is M-3640-4295.EXE that apparently was the replacement software for XP for all the meters. I don't know if it's the one that's distributed with the Unisource meters on CD or what the connection between Unisource and Metex is. The products are the same and both names still seem to be in use. The MS9150/9160/9170 prefix has been changed to US91XX in the unisource models. There is either a usb port or just a serial/usb cable supplied with the Unisource models as the new software works with both a real serial port and a virtual one with a driver from what I gather.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf