Author Topic: When will 121GW be available for purchase?  (Read 5593 times)

Offline ArdutronicTopic starter

When will 121GW be available for purchase?
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:54:21 pm »
Hello everyone, I was looking at buying a new multimeter :-DMM since the one I have isn't very good (manual ranging, normal fuses) and has mA broken :-BROKE (how the heck am I supposed to diagnose that without another multimeter?) and the 10A fuse blown without any replacement (and it was my fault :palm:). Now the ideal (ideal as in it being ideal, I don't mean that brand ;)) multimeter for me would be the 121GW, with its < 200 € price (excluding shipping, please tell me it doesn't cost too much to ship it here to Spain), safety certification, functionality, etc., but I'm not sure about when it'll be finally available for purchase (the Kickstarter campaign has ended, hasn't it?) or where will it be available (ideally in Amazon.es, I have Prime, so free shipping). I've already looked at the discussion thread, but I couldn't find that information, nor in the forum search :-//. I know Dave is doing everything he can, but if it'll take a long time, I'll probably buy a cheaper temporary one (after all it's always good to have more multimeters ;D). Or maybe I'll buy a Brymen BM867 or a Uni-T UT71D (recommendations are welcome, of course).

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: When will 121GW be available for purchase?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:06:43 pm »
No time soon.  No time is announced because there have been delays in shipping to Kickstarter backers and picking some random date without any evidence to point to it being the actual time of availability doesn't make any sense and will probably only piss people off in the long run.

Shipping to Kickstarter backers is supposed to resume in April, some of the soonest tier backers have not yet been fulfilled, so I'd say the absolute earliest of any availability would be the end of the May (by my arbitrary estimate), and I'd actually expect June or even later before they show up in Dave's store.  You can be sure it will appear on his store when it's available for regular purchase, I'd expect availability on Amazon or other sites would follow that.

So don't hold your breath.  There are a bunch of good meters around, if you need something in the next few months, pick something that's out.

The following users thanked this post: Ardutronic

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:18:58 pm »
I have BM867s and I'm happy with it so far. But, being a hobbyist, I probably wouldn't even notice if there was something bad with it. I ended up with that one after going through probably 20ish models in the target price range (using among other things this forum's multimeter spreadsheet) and reading reviews/tests on the "finalists". After having seen so many super-bad reviews (over the years) on various Uni-T models, I decided to stay away from them completely.

But I have to say, if I hadn't already bought the brymen when the 121GW was announced, I'd probably have gotten 121GW instead. Now I'm considering getting that 121GW as the second DMM, some day, maybe. (I still have 20+ years old crappy one for backup, so I'm not in a hurry.)

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:38 pm »
I see that I'll have to get another one because I'm in a hurry (1 month maximum). The only problems with Uni-T I've seen is the relatively poor input protection (the European models have more input protection, and that's probably the one I'll be getting), which isn't much of a concern for me because I almost never probe circuits > 50 V. And when I do, I make sure to be in voltage mode. Plus, there are a few mods out there, apparently, for increasing the safety of the UT61E. That's probably not the one I'll be getting, but I don't think it'd be difficult to mod. What's interesting about the UT71D is data logging with 10000 data points and the bandwidth, but the Brymen is a pretty interesting meter as well. Or do I get a cheap temporary one and later the 121GW? Thank you for your help anyway :).

The following users thanked this post: 6sigma

Offline 6sigma

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:13:41 pm »
In the midst of the same dilemma with the 121GW being the preferred answer, but needing "something" right away.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
Where is the problem? When you like to go for a 121GW later on when it is available then look for a cheapy workaround like an Aneg. Having a second dmm is always a good thing.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:00:26 pm »
Or do I get a cheap temporary one and later the 121GW? Thank you for your help anyway :).
It'll be a little while before the GW has fully sorted SW and HW and all Dave's backers have been supplied.
Dave's other DMM would be a good choice in the meanwhile, it's a Brymen BM235.
https://www.eevblog.com/product/bm235-multimeter/

Also available from forum moderator Simon in the UK.
https://simonselectronics.co.uk/shop/

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:16:58 pm »
Plus, there are a few mods out there, apparently, for increasing the safety of the UT61E. That's probably not the one I'll be getting, but I don't think it'd be difficult to mod. What's interesting about the UT71D is data logging

The UT71 series of dmms are terrible, on paper the specs look great but for the cost, you do better with something like a Brymen 869

The UT61E is great value for money (I have one), that is why people rave on about it.
Yes, I have moded mine with MOVs but as Joeqsmith said, there is no proof it makes it safe.
I would still be weary of measuring mains with it.
Are they that good? Well, for the money they give very good resolution. Accuracy depends, some report it looses it over time, I have no problems with mine.
It has many features missing, such as temperature, auto power off and back light.
Are they worth adding? If it is your main meter and you are happy with messing around with your main DMM, then yes. For me, it was a spare meter, so no.

Logging - if you can, get a bench meter for logging. Best to capture straight to a computer.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:57:47 am »
The UT71 series of dmms are terrible, on paper the specs look great but for the cost, you do better with something like a Brymen 869
Really? Thanks for the information, I won't buy it.
It has many features missing, such as temperature, auto power off and back light.
Temperature's no problem (I already have a thermocouple thermometer), backlight the same (I want it for electronics, if I don't see the multimeter, I don't see the circuit I'm probing neither). What's really worrying me is the auto power off since I always forget to power off mine (which fortunately does have it). Anyways, I wouldn't be buying it as a primary meter, but as a temporary one until the 121GW arrives. Then use it as a secondary one.
Logging - if you can, get a bench meter for logging. Best to capture straight to a computer.
Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a bench meter. Even the old HP ones are 300 € or more on eBay! Logging is the main drawback of the Brymen: you need a tremendously expensive USB cable for interfacing with the computer and doing logging. Seriously?! 40 € for a cable and a CD?! :palm: :rant: Another option is to buy the BM525 which has data logging. Or just use an Arduino for that purpose. Not that I need to do that very often.
I think I'm ultimately going to buy a Brymen because there isn't that much of a difference in features useful for me with the 121GW. Now the problem is which one to choose. In the official Brymen European store, the price is 40 € lower than on Amazon if we include shipping, so I could even buy the BM869s, but there are features (like VFD or control loop) which I'll most probably never use, so...  :-//

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:15 am »
Hello everyone, I was looking at buying a new multimeter :-DMM since the one I have isn't very good (manual ranging, normal fuses) and has mA broken :-BROKE (how the heck am I supposed to diagnose that without another multimeter?) and the 10A fuse blown without any replacement (and it was my fault :palm:).

If you've been managing with that one then you'll have no problem managing with a cheapo Chinese meter (until you find your dream).

$20 can get you something decent. Of all the ones I own I use my ANENG 860B+ the most, none of the others have to same blend of features.

Some people say the 860B+ is too big (and normally I'd agree with them) but I dunno, the 860B+ is big and likeable.  :-// It also uses standard size fuses, not microfuses that are almost impossible to find.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:34:27 am by Fungus »

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:02:02 pm by Jon.C »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:57:05 pm »
No time soon.  No time is announced because there have been delays in shipping to Kickstarter backers and picking some random date without any evidence to point to it being the actual time of availability doesn't make any sense and will probably only piss people off in the long run.

Shipping to Kickstarter backers is supposed to resume in April, some of the soonest tier backers have not yet been fulfilled, so I'd say the absolute earliest of any availability would be the end of the May (by my arbitrary estimate), and I'd actually expect June or even later before they show up in Dave's store.  You can be sure it will appear on his store when it's available for regular purchase, I'd expect availability on Amazon or other sites would follow that.

That's about as accurate as you'll get right now. Sometime in May is the goal.

The following users thanked this post: Ardutronic, DJbarro

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 12:58:26 pm »
Also available from forum moderator Simon in the UK.
https://simonselectronics.co.uk/shop/

Yep, Simon now has the BM235 in stock.

Offline Fran55on

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
That's about as accurate as you'll get right now. Sometime in May is the goal.
May has now past with margin.
How lays the land?

Also. Are you securing any EU-based resellers?

With best regards Magnus Fransson.
With best regards

Magnus Fransson

Offline Fran55on

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 06:43:18 pm »
Bump.
With best regards

Magnus Fransson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf