Author Topic: Used analog oscilloscopes for sale lacking probes and even power cords?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
A set of good probes costs an arm and a leg, often much more than the oscilloscope itself.

I wouldn't mind getting used probes along with a 1GHz+ 'scope, even broken ones as sometimes it's possible to repair them. So, call it "wearing someone's underwear", but it may save a lot of money. Especially active or "intelligent" probes.
With a 1GHz+ scope the probes are active, and usually the only ones that work are the ones specifically designed for the particular scope. You really need to get those with the scope, as sourcing them separately is not just expensive. They are hard to find, unless the scope is still in production.

I have 1.5GHz passive probes that are at least 45 years old (i.e. a 1972 operating note). Some similar probes reach 9GHz, e.g. http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/P6150
That kind of probe is more like an input cable than what we more generally consider a scope probe. Its a high invasive connection to the system under test.

There are exceptions, example this below 2.5GHz active probe, its really does look like a real scope's probe with the pointy tip etc, instead of just bunch of weird cables.  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf