Author Topic: Which one should I buy Siglent SDS1202X-E 200Mhz or Hantek DSO5202P 200Mhz  (Read 20212 times)

Offline suryaputhraTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I had gone through many threads on the eevblog but again confused on the decision so opened new thread to get conclusive answer.

But, later, you provided a couple of important points that make all the difference in the world!

These scopes are for field service and cheap is a criteria.

Some of the 'gee whiz' features that are helpful to the hobbyist or lab tech are seldom useful to the field service tech.  Mostly, they need to see waveforms.  If they don't see the waveform, they replace the board.  It is unlikely that anybody does chip level troubleshooting/replacement in the field.  The inputs or outputs don't look like, replace the board.

Your choices are from a small set of two or three:  The Rigol DS1054Z running with 50 MHz capability but 4 channels or the Siglent SDS1202X-E.  I doubt that any reputable company would go along with unlocking the DS1054Z so unless 4 channels is an absolute requirement, the Siglent is probably the way to go.  You simply can't go wrong with more bandwidth, particularly if you are troubleshooting digital circuits.

Buy a few, put them in the field and see what happens.  You'll get plenty of feedback whether you want it or not.  For certain, the requirements will become a lot more clear.

Yes that is our opinion too. As you said no one will replace chip on the field, we just see wave forms. So I will suggest our MR dept to buy Siglent scopes.

To

All Experts, Thanks for your great suggestions and contribution.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
The scopes in question are for field executives mainly at service centres. That is the reason MR dept shortlisted cheaper models.
I agree with rstofer, given 'cheap' is a key requirement, you can't go wrong with the SDS1202X-E, they are solidly built, have excellent performance in terms of features and bandwidth, and will do the job for a triage-level technician IMHO.

I have no association with Siglent but I am an electronic engineer and I am recommending a scope that I own.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: suryaputhra

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
I got mine today and I'm very happy with it, nice instrument.  :-+
eurofox

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
If it is for field service then you should definitely take a look at MicSigs TO1000 tablet scopes. They can be used battery powered, they have a big screen in a relatively thin case and have a touch-screen only interface so no knobs which can be broken off.

I normally wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole but for this particular guy's use case it seems like a really great option.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Of course, we still don't know what bandwidth is required.  It could be some kind of specialized equipment operating up in the GHz range.

That's the problem with these threads.  We rarely get the full list of requirements up front.

• Regular Contributor
Of course, we still don't know what bandwidth is required.  It could be some kind of specialized equipment operating up in the GHz range.

That's the problem with these threads.  We rarely get the full list of requirements up front.

Most of the components work at 70Mhz.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

Most of the components work at 70Mhz.
For a field tech's instrument then 200 MHz is an appropriate choice especially at this price point.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
I had gone through the article "Oscilloscope memory depth: when bigger is not always better" your opinions please.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I had gone through the article "Oscilloscope memory depth: when bigger is not always better" your opinions please.
Ignore because it is just marketing wank. More memory is always better but Keysight doesn't have long memory in their entry level models so suddenly long memory is bad.  :palm:
If you let a service engineer save the data from a long trace it might have enough resolution to see the problem.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
nctnico is correct, more memory is always better
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf