Author Topic: Which oscilloscope for $100  (Read 21383 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Which oscilloscope for $100
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 03:52:50 pm »
Japan and Taiwan made scopes get the job done and easier to repair, usually with generic parts. 

Teks are good when they're going,  :-+  but a royal PITA when they're not.  :-- :--

that is true. Teks are hard to repair unless you are well versed in them.

"Hard" compared with what? Any scope - or other piece of test equipment - is hard to repair if you don't have service manuals and aren't familiar with how they should work. Unlike most brands, Teks have good service manuals available, and there is a very active community just waiting to help.

Of course more modern equipment of all types from all manufacturers is more difficult to repair due to custom components and SMDs.

But any beginner should get a working scope.

I should rephrase that... as in hard to sometimes source parts for, as opposed to generic components in other scopes...

So you are principally referring to vintage low-end scopes. Modern and vintage high-end scopes always had many custom components.

In any case, many custom Tek and HP components are available from QService and Sphere, or via fleabay.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »
I just haven't had any bad experiences like that. I've owned at least a dozen scopes and most of them worked just fine or had basic issues that were easy to repair without any fancy tools or knowledge. It's always a gamble but when you're talking <$100 so what? You take your chances, if it doesn't work either fix it or buy another one. Plenty of adequately tested scopes out there that work fine, maybe they haven't been calibrated in 20 years but so what? I've never found an old scope that was greatly out of calibration, even 40+ year old stuff was still close enough. Scopes are not precision measurement devices.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
I'd look for a DSO either new (DSO Nano or something similar) or used. Used analog scopes usually are overpriced old junk especially if it says HP or Tektronix on the badge.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
I found 2 oscilloscopes that I am interested in, both are around $100
One is the LG EZ OS-5060A
The other is the Tektronix 2213A
Which one would be a better oscilloscope for that price?

Why not just pay $380 for a brand new 200Mhz Siglent with warranty and features out the wahoo? I will be pissing around with a 465B because it was free and I am nostalgic. I am also pissing around with a TDS544A for the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 04:34:41 pm »
I just took a quick look at eBay and it seems to me that the 2213As that might actually work are closer to $200 with one that just recently fell out of calibration running $250.

Yes, there were cheaper 2213As but I have to wonder why someone would sell a $200 scope for $100.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:52 pm »
The I'd take a TDS544A over a Rigol any day, that's a 500MHz scope, you're not going to find a new 500MHz DSO that can match it for less than about $2k. As far as why not get a Rigol, well the budget is $100 and that's $385, almost 4x the stated budget. Are you guys gonna chip in to make up the difference for the OP?

Seems the scope snobs have turned up here. I don't get it, I would have loved to have something as fancy as a 60MHz dual trace analog scope when I was starting out, I made due with a 15MHz Tek 531A that worked as well as a space heater as it did as a scope. Still managed to get by and learned a lot. Yeah a modern DSO is more convenient but in a lot of cases I think it's a substitute for learning how to actually use the instrument effectively. All scopes have limitations and no matter what you get it's important to understand those limitations and learn how to work around them.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04:02 pm »
Seems the scope snobs have turned up here. I don't get it, I would have loved to have something as fancy as a 60MHz dual trace analog scope when I was starting out, I made due with a 15MHz Tek 531A that worked as well as a space heater as it did as a scope. Still managed to get by and learned a lot.
Be honest: how much did that Tek 531A cost in today's money? Probably way more than $100. For example: I got a brand new 20MHz dual channel analog scope in the late 80's. In today's money it costs about 800 euros.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:38 pm »
I paid $40 for the Tek 531A back around 1992, I suppose that might be approaching $100 in today's money, I don't really know offhand. The point is that despite being relatively low bandwidth and not offering a lot of fancy features it was a usable instrument that I was able to use effectively for a lot of things.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:09 pm »
Seems the scope snobs have turned up here. I don't get it, I would have loved to have something as fancy as a 60MHz dual trace analog scope when I was starting out, I made due with a 15MHz Tek 531A that worked as well as a space heater as it did as a scope. Still managed to get by and learned a lot.
Be honest: how much did that Tek 531A cost in today's money? Probably way more than $100. For example: I got a brand new 20MHz dual channel analog scope in the late 80's. In today's money it costs about 800 euros.

There's a 531A without the plug-in for $169 on eBay right now.  There is a complete unit with cart for $440.

Before people throw numbers around, they should probably check with eBay and see what working models are going for.  Why on earth would a newbie want a 531A with or without the cart?  A collector might want one but nobody wants to spend $440 on a 15 MHz scope.

It is possible to go to eBay and search for 'oscilloscope' and then sort by price.

One scope that just popped up and one I would certainly consider:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-INSTEK-Oscilloscope-GOS-6112-2-Channel-100MHz-Includes-power-cord-/332070618956

There are 7 left and 126 sold.  I think this is part of the school bankruptcy auction.  Personally, I would jump on it at $120.  ETA:  Shipping varies but from Texas to California, it's about $30.

ETA2:  There are a couple of identical scopes at $80:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-Instek-GOS-6112-2-Channel-100MHz-Curser-Oscilloscope-TESTED-and-PASSED/252957412100

Problem is, the shipping is outrageous so you're right back at $150.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:09:08 pm by rstofer »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 08:09:55 pm »
if you are looking for a $100 scope, there is a GW Instek GOS-6112 100MHz scope for a starting bid of $79.99 plus $24 shipping.  There is 2 hours left to the auction.  Watch it and bid at  the last possible second to complete the bid and you might just score.  No one is even watching it at the moment.  I scored one for $90 shipped and I like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-Instek-GOS-6112-2-Channel-100MHz-Curser-Readout-Analog-Oscilloscope-TESTED-/252947699500?hash=item3ae4db972c:g:SyAAAOSwWxNYt1Zz

edit:  by the way, if you score it and want the manual, I can email it to you.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 08:15:20 pm »
I have a Tek 2213a that I bought in Canada about 10 years ago for 125 CDN. I also have a Rigol DS1054z that is two years old and which I use every day. But for some reason I don't want to part with the 2213a. If someone came to the house today with a hundred dollar bill and wanted the 2213a I would not sell.

I had to replace a PIN diode and a FET in the front end of the 2213a after a "user error".... it wasn't that hard, either to find the suitable replacement parts or to actually perform the repair, and now it is working perfectly again. If the Rigol had the same kind of fault .... it would wind up in the junkpile for sure.

So... "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

One thing is certain: If you do buy a used analog scope, make _darn sure_ that it is cosmetically perfect and that all functions work. I bought the 2213a from a place where I could check it out fully before plunking down my hard-earned cash. And since I carried it home on the subway, I was very pleased by its relatively light weight (no heavy power transformer inside.)

Those GW Insteks look like pretty good deals too, but I have no personal experience with them.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
if you are looking for a $100 scope, there is a GW Instek GOS-6112 100MHz scope for a starting bid of $79.99 plus $24 shipping.  There is 2 hours left to the auction.  Watch it and bid at  the last possible second to complete the bid and you might just score.  No one is even watching it at the moment.  I scored one for $90 shipped and I like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-Instek-GOS-6112-2-Channel-100MHz-Curser-Readout-Analog-Oscilloscope-TESTED-/252947699500?hash=item3ae4db972c:g:SyAAAOSwWxNYt1Zz

I see the shipping as $75 with no alternatives offered.  Maybe because I am in California?

Shipping is always a consideration.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
There is no way that 531A on ebay will sell for the asking price, unless there's something special about it. I gave mine away for free here on this forum and it took some time and effort to find someone who would take it. It's a neat vintage item but the value as an instrument is outweighed by the size of the thing. Ebay is chock full of equipment sitting at fantasy BIN prices, I've seen people asking $1500 for TDS300 series scopes, I've never paid more than $100 for one.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56:28 pm »

I see the shipping as $75 with no alternatives offered.  Maybe because I am in California?

Shipping is always a consideration.

Interesting, I'm in Florida and it is $23.50 for shipping.

edit, Oops, just noticed that it is in north Florida and I am in central Florida.  Shipping just might suck.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:58:21 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »
There is no way that 531A on ebay will sell for the asking price, unless there's something special about it. I gave mine away for free here on this forum and it took some time and effort to find someone who would take it. It's a neat vintage item but the value as an instrument is outweighed by the size of the thing. Ebay is chock full of equipment sitting at fantasy BIN prices, I've seen people asking $1500 for TDS300 series scopes, I've never paid more than $100 for one.

But did you buy them from eBay?  For better or worse, eBay is the market.  The same equipment is available to any buyer (within some limitations) and shipping is the decider.

Certainly there are special ways to come across a scope.  I suppose if I heard from someone living in my town I could make them a fantastic deal on a Tek 485.  But there is no way I want to get involved in shipping it.  My time is worth too much (to me) to bother with such a venture.  And I don't need the money...

In fact, I got rid of my Heathkit 10 MHz scope by just setting it out on the curb.  Somebody took it and I hope they knew what they got.  It was a pretty good scope!  I sold a scope to a coworker one time.  He got a pretty good deal.

But I think eBay sets the market price and range.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
Yes, as a matter of fact I did, I bought all of the scopes I currently own on ebay along with a couple others I have since fixed up and sold. With exception of the TDS784C they were all $100 or less, and either I was the only bidder or I waited until the listing was almost ended and tossed in a lowball offer of ~50% of the asking price and it was accepted. There are loads of them sitting at sky high asking prices but look at the actual sales of those that sold in auction format (Best Offer sales only show the original asking price) and you'll see that in most cases the real selling prices are far lower than what many people try to get.

I think what happens is someone posts something for a high price, then the next person goes and sees that and posts theirs for a similar price and so on. That and hoarders who post stuff at crazy prices because deep down they don't really want to part with it anyway. There have been a number of surplus shops that became little more than a front for a serious hoarder to justify their collecting.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 12:27:16 am »
I recently scored locally a nice compact 25 year old dual channel 25mhz scope for 120 au dollars (yes, couldn't help myself, again..  :P ) a very novel CRO with built in 9vac component tester, probes, manual etc 
because another buyer did a no show (and the usual breed of leeching low life cheapskates were offering maccas money for it)

I could see it had little use as per the sellers description and tested perfect,
so I paid the 120, the seller perhaps surprised I didn't bargain (which I'm GOOD at btw)  ;)

I put it on the bench and used it for a week solid and no issues.  :-/O  :-+
If I ever decide to sell it working 100%, I will get $120 for it EASILY,
or give it away as parts if it dies and can't be fixed (unlikely, as it's easy to get into, and mostly bog standard parts)

If my DSO dies in a non-PSU related way, and more that $200 to fix, it will be given away as parts.

FWIW, I don't leave the DSO running all the time because I STRONGLY suspect it won't last 2.5 years, much less 25+ like many old school CROs   ;D 

Again, if it's a 'first' scope don't be a cheapskate, DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR  :phew:  and buy a WORKING one regardless of brand.  

Then you can buy (or dumpster dive) 1000 non working scopes after that, and chances are good you may be able to get a lot of them up and running,
or at least calibrate them on the cheap, following the service manual so they are useable,
BECAUSE you know how a perfectly ~WORKING~ scope should work!  :clap:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:00:29 am by Electro Detective »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 12:39:57 am »
no better way to learn about electronics than to fix that broken pos scope...   glass is half full...

...so long as you have another oscilloscope to do it with.

When someone asks me what an oscilloscope is good for, I tell them they are good for fixing other oscilloscopes.

I just took a quick look at eBay and it seems to me that the 2213As that might actually work are closer to $200 with one that just recently fell out of calibration running $250.

Yes, there were cheaper 2213As but I have to wonder why someone would sell a $200 scope for $100.

When I was oscilloscope hunting, I monitored Ebay auctions for months to get an idea of what they were selling for.  I bought my two working 2230s for $60 and $80 respectively.  The current sold listings show lots of what look like working oscilloscopes below $100:

3x 2213A 60MHz Single Timebase
3x 2215A 60MHz Dual Timebase
3x 2235 100MHz Dual Timebase
2x 2236 100MHz Dual Timebase Timer/Counter
2x 2221 60MHz Single Timebase DSO
2x 2221A 100MHz Single Timebase DSO
4x 2230 100MHz Dual Timebase DSO
2x 2232 100MHz Dual Timebase DSO

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 05:09:31 am »

why only 2?
greetings
Martin

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 07:40:04 am »

why only 2?
greetings
Martin

Perhaps close by for pickup?

That's how I roll, and I don't trust shipping in general, especially for heavy, easy BREAKABLES

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 12:24:28 pm »
That's how I roll, and I don't trust shipping in general, especially for heavy, easy BREAKABLES

Shipping is a big problem which the relatively fragile CRT and front panel controls makes worse and shipping has gotten a lot more expensive over the past couple of years.  If you are in a major metropolitan area which includes aerospace and technical companies, then picking up something locally is a good possibility.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »

Shipping is a big problem which the relatively fragile CRT and front panel controls makes worse and shipping has gotten a lot more expensive over the past couple of years.  If you are in a major metropolitan area which includes aerospace and technical companies, then picking up something locally is a good possibility.
And then let it bump up&down in the booth of your car  >:D
It depends greatly on what kind of seller you are dealing with. If it is some kind of equipment dealer they usually know how to pack equipment. Besides that you can always check Ebay feedback to see if the seller knows how to pack stuff or not. The negative and neutral feedback are the most informative.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:30 pm »

And then let it bump up&down in the booth of your car  >:D
It depends greatly on what kind of seller you are dealing with. If it is some kind of equipment dealer they usually know how to pack equipment. Besides that you can always check Ebay feedback to see if the seller knows how to pack stuff or not. The negative and neutral feedback are the most informative.

and no matter how well it's packed, FedEx and ups will still manage to fuck it up...

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2017, 06:15:58 pm »
no better way to learn about electronics than to fix that broken pos scope...   glass is half full...

LOL : )

...so long as you have another oscilloscope to do it with.

You can use a broken 'scope to fix itself. My very first scope, a Telequipment D51, had a flat line on CH2. I used CH1 to diagnose and repair the CH2 Y amplifier circuit. No multimeter involved  ;)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
My first real scope was the Hameg HM-605. I got it for $85 but with shipping it was little over $100. Love that thing. It needs to be recapped (one of these days I will get around to it). The component tester on it is pretty nifty too, and they are incredibly easy to work on.

I love analog scopes personally. They feel good, respond instantly, and look cool while doing it.

However it is hard to suggest an analog scope to a beginner today with so many affordable DSO options out there.

- DSO single shot capture is a killer feature. Most old analog scopes won't have this, and it's one of the critical functions of the oscilloscope imo.

- The badass analog scopes of the yesteryear are way past their drinking age at this point, they are married and have kids  ;). Someone just starting likely doesn't have another scope to do repairs or other gear (sig gens and references) to do calibration on them. It is likely they are in need of recapping at this point.

I really think it's worth spending a little more and getting a new entry level DSO, for a beginner. But if you already own a scope and want another one, definitely get an analog scope. They are fun as hell. I am not getting rid of my Tek 465B or my HM-605 any time soon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:10:22 pm by Muxr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf