Author Topic: Why did you buy a bench multimeter?  (Read 17655 times)

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why did you buy a bench multimeter?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 03:47:04 am »

Bench multimeters are more comfortable, especially if you have them on a shelf at eye level. I do not look for or need extraordinary precision, only comfort and quality.

I have a UNI-T UT804, and I am very satisfied with how it works, and how practical it is.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 04:07:43 am »
I bought a bench meter because I wanted one that was always set up on the bench, that I could leave turned on for long periods of time, and that had a serial port for data logging. The nice clear VFD and dual displays were added perks.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 04:19:54 am »
Since all the serious answers have been given, it's time for a silly one:

Because it looks cool! 8)

And you can collect them with different types of displays: Nixie, segmented LED, dot LED, VFD, segmented LCD, dot matrix LCD, OLED, etc.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Berni, TheNewLab, schmitt trigger

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 08:32:27 am »
I've had a Metex M3850D (3 3/4 digit) before I changed to a second hand bench multimeter (4 1/2 digit). As you can see the resolution upgrade was subtle in my case, and in fact I could sell the Metex for more money than for what I got the bench multimeter...
The resons for the change was the followings for me:
-Always lit display (in my case LED) on the bench meter gives good sight in every light conditions.
-More convenient to use.
-Not taking up board space.
-Don't have to care about batteries.
-There is no auto power off
-Good to have 4wire resistance measurements.
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 07:06:24 am »
I also picked up the GW Instek ones from the ITT Tech liquidation sale. They flooded eBay and was notified by another forum contributor. It is 5.5 digit. I then awoke in the middle of the night with the bright idea of getting a hold of a 6.5 or 7.5 desktop so I could have fun and make a little cash calibrating handheld's maybe even improve 3.5 handhelds and resell.
I found an action, had fun bidding it up in the last few minutes..went to bed and awoke the next AM

Saying to myself.."now that was really dumb... who would pay anything for a handheld calibration when it would be about the same to buy a new one?" dumb..
That said. they were both good deals, they have 4 wire capability, take up a lot of space on my back shelves...and I already have a 4.5 handheld that can be used to log 10,000 inside the unit and unlimited connected to a laptop...

For me, as a hobby, I feel it was not so good of an idea getting them, but WTF (that's OK to say, right?)
Maybe I can just leave them on, and use the 4 wire resistance without DIYing a constant current source and calculate with 1A and use the voltage reading on the handheld.

OH, OH! they make a great night light when you have to go into the room just to grab some tool or something!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 11:00:33 am »
Why? Because I can.  :-DMM ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
The older ones date back to when many people still had analog multimeters, so they were the first digital meters for some.

Typically:
They have much larger and easier to read displays than handheld meters, regardless of era.
They are higher precision than handheld meters of the same era.
They have useful features not found on handheld meters of the same era.
They cost more than handheld meters of the same era.

My first bench meter was a Fluke 8K.  It replaced my second analog meter.  It had four D cell nicads as well as the AC.  3.5 digit was all.  No interface bus.  Cost about a $100 to repair anytime you looked at it funny (back then, not today's dollars).  Far outperformed my analog meter and I have used digital meters since. 

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 11:22:18 am »
A bench meter, while bulky, has its benefits even for hobby yse. For me, its easier to use as its hanging over my bench and I simply need to push a button to change a function. Not need to twist the knob or watch out for it not falling down while I press it or move things around like with a handheld meter. If space is very limited, you can obviously use a handheld meter. Also, the fact you never have to change batteries is great. The battery always dies when you need it most. Other benefits include the the fact it has the ability to use front and read banana-jacks. I always use both, with the front constantly connected to a pair of test leads with thin wires and crown-tip pogo pins, while the back are connected to longer and larger test leads. This comes in handy more than I've imagined. Simply press the button and you can switch between them. The 4 wire resistance measurement is also wonderful if you need to measure low resistances.
All of these reasons are obviously the things that are beyond the expected "its more accurate" claim. I've purchased my bench DMM a few years ago (used 34401A) to replace the U1253A I've had at the time as my "accurate" meter, and to accompany the Fluke 189 I have as my main hand-held meter. For most things, you'd be right to assume the accuracy/resolution difference is of no value to me. However, every now and then it is useful. The increased resolution did come in handy when I was working on measuring a few circuits at the time for my M.Sc. thesis. While I did have access to high quality equipment at the university, having the ability to work from home instead of going there was great.

I'd also be lying if I said it has nothing to do with always wanting more (and better) gear (toys). Otherwise why would I be looking at ads for another bench meter when I don't really have a need for another one? :-DD
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 12:20:51 pm »

Why? because they're great fun to repair!  :)

Best Regards, Chris

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »
Guess it's been said many times before, here's my reasons:

- No battery
- Stackable / and I can put it into the shelf
- VFD / LED display vs. LCD

My all time favourite is the HP34401A here, beeing pretty accurate but not volt-nuttery, having the usual functions including a responsive continuity beeper
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 01:36:48 pm »

Good point. Assuming it's not a fuse, bench meters are easier to repair than handheld meters.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 01:41:59 pm »

Good point. Assuming it's not a fuse, bench meters are easier to repair than handheld meters.

Agree on both points.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
20 amp current range and no battery/timeout power off.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 03:42:27 pm »

Agree on both points.

And the older the bench meter is, the easier it is to repair  :)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
Yes, I agree on all counts. :) In my book, things started going to pot when they started putting 'intelligence' in them - even problems like degrading opto-isolators in the Datron 1060 series, which wouldn't have been there otherwise.

BTW, I think current ranges are an anathema in bench meters. They're a convenience thing to have on handheld ones but with a bench one it is far better to use a suitable external current shunt and minimize the voltage burden. That's the reason that many traditional bench meters didn't have them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:23:15 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 06:27:38 pm »
Why is an external current shunt preferable? Not saying it isn't, I just have not personally ever wished I had one instead of the built in shunt. Seems like a simple enough feature to include, which does not preclude the use of an external shunt if one prefers.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »
Mostly the voltage burden thing, why have the long leads, non-optimal current shunt resistor (range shared?) when you have decent low-end voltage resolution (1uV in the case of my Datrons). It's the premise that Dave built his uCurrent on - only better. Internal current shunts are ok, but they bring with them fuses and current overload protection hard switching rather than FET etc. 'baggage'.

Really just my opinion. [Edit: Sorry I'm drifting the thread off topic]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:17:48 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 10:50:15 pm »
Valid points, I can see some advantages to an external current shunt, but I'd still want one built in. I could use an external one if I needed to but it's nice to have the basic functionality there for the many cases where it's good enough. It's not like it adds tremendously to the cost or bulk of the meter to have that as a redundant feature.

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 12:30:25 am »
Because they're cool.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2018, 01:19:38 am »
Even when I have a multimeter with the proper current range, I may build a current shunt into the circuit for ease of measurement.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2018, 06:44:17 am »
Since all the serious answers have been given, it's time for a silly one:

Because it looks cool! 8)

And you can collect them with different types of displays: Nixie, segmented LED, dot LED, VFD, segmented LCD, dot matrix LCD, OLED, etc.

This.  I like old, boat-anchor-y stuff, like nixie bench meters.  They stay where you put them, and can remain on all day monitoring things.  The main meters I currently use are an HP 3439A, a 3440A and a Data Precision 3500.  (That and I have the space for them and no SWMBO to answer to.  :-+)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 06:45:23 am »
And those are some sweet Datrons, Chris!  Beautiful!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 07:06:17 am »
I bought mine because mains powered so I don't find I used the last 9V battery in the early hours when the meter tells me I need to replace it, it's still readable when it's out of the way on a shelf so it saves precious bench space, pushbutton control with nice, bright mode indicators, it's (slightly) higher accuracy than my best handheld (but that's not too important for me) and, something I didn't think about until I got the manual, it can be interfaced to a PC for data logging and control which I have a few plans for

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 07:28:15 am »
As a non believer for a long time I must admit I have changed my mind on the bench meters. I still use my hand helds for like 99% of all spot measurements, but where bench meters are useful they are irreplaceable.

For instance bench meters are perfect for automated measurements, as part of test jigs or as part of long term experiments or characterizations. Hook up a Raspberry Pi to a few bench DMMs, write some Python and the possibilities are endless. A whole world of new type of measurements opens up with added precision as well.

Also metrology is a fascinating topic, which I think every electronic hobbyist should check out. You learn some really valuable things trying to build a low drift voltage reference for instance.

I was hooked from the moment I read Conrad Hoffman's mini metrology lab series:

http://conradhoffman.com/mini_metro_lab.html

Just beware, it's a rabbit hole that will have you researching exotic resistors, instruments or even just cables and connectors in no time if you're not careful.

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 07:45:23 am »
Since we're already off on a tangent. The 8842's VFD is made of sex. Sometimes I feel like I can't bear to wear it out, but I luckily have a spare screen.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf