Author Topic: Why does everyone have twenty oscilliscopes?  (Read 85988 times)

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Why does everyone have twenty elephants.
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:06 am »

I have more than 20 elephants in my house.  Along with a varieyt of other stuffed toys that the grandies love.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Why does everyone have twenty elephants.
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 10:32:12 am »

I have more than 20 elephants in my house.  Along with a varieyt of other stuffed toys that the grandies love.
We have just two carved elephants in our house, but from my days in telephony I still have a lot of trunks.  ;)

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Re: Why does everyone have twenty oscilliscopes?
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 10:35:30 am »
I have a collection of over two hundred cassette decks, which takes some space already  :o.

Cheers

Alex
Cassette decks !! ,  you collect them or is there another reason ?. A photo of the storage room would be interesting then followed by the other two storage rooms of tapes.  :D

I collect and restore cassette decks - it is sort of a hobby, I suppose. I've moved house three months ago and most of my collection is still in boxes. And it is somewhat off-topic here (though I have build a special set-up for making alignment cassette tapes which should be OK to discuss in the Test Equipment section - perhaps I'll do a post on that subject  8) ).

Cheers

Alex

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:43 am »
I have a collection of over two hundred cassette decks, which takes some space already  :o.

Cheers

Alex
Cassette decks !! ,  you collect them or is there another reason ?. A photo of the storage room would be interesting then followed by the other two storage rooms of tapes.  :D

I collect and restore cassette decks - it is sort of a hobby, I suppose. I've moved house three months ago and most of my collection is still in boxes. And it is somewhat off-topic here (though I have build a special set-up for making alignment cassette tapes which should be OK to discuss in the Test Equipment section - perhaps I'll do a post on that subject  8) ).

Cheers

Alex
I don't suppose you know what might cause unreliable operation of the buttons on a Pioneer CTF-900?

Is there an oscilloscope with that number too  ::) ?! It is a complete off-topic, please PM me and I'll reply with some suggestions.

Cheers

Alex

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2015, 11:24:28 am »
I'm happy with just two scopes, a modern CRO (HM1508-2, got analog and DSO mode) and a DS1054Z. There are much more important things in live than having 20+ scopes to brag about.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:36 am »
Cheers
Alex

I use to collect antique radios but every time I brought a really cool one home to restore my wife would keep it in the living room so I switched to antique test equipment which I have more of an interest in since it's what I used at work.  Fortunately she doesn't want that stuff in the house.  Then a couple years ago I started collecting vintage soldering irons. So if you think you're a little crazy collecting cassettes, don't worry, there's always someone a little further out there.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:26 pm »
If you got tantalum problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 os'copes but a tek ain't one.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »

[...]

Funny, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture was Bioshock.  ;)

Really cool devices!

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 12:42:57 pm »
I heard that when you utter the word 'OSCILLOSCOPE' backwards 3 times in a row, a large sum of money will be withdrawn from you bank account without your knowledge and a mysterious package shall be delivered to your house the next day.

EPOCSOLLICSO...EPOCSOLLICSO...EPOCSOLLICSO

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »
I only have two that I use. The other five or six are for historical value. 
This one's my favorite:

Not sure what I'm doing with 150 tube testers though  :wtf:, again, I only use two of them.

That is a seriously cool scope  8) and I just love Chicken Head knobs on test equipment  :-+

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 12:57:53 pm »

That is a seriously cool scope

Yeah,  :-+, I keep staring at that pict as well.  Would love to see a video of that in action.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:50 pm »
I dont. Then again, all the stuff I really care about in my life would fit into a cabin size bag. If everything else would be thrown away and I have to continue my life somewhere else, so be it. I'm not a hoarder. People and information is what really matters, the rest is just stuff.

Offline swingbyte

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2015, 02:14:16 pm »
This one's my favorite:

Not sure what I'm doing with 150 tube testers though  :wtf:, again, I only use two of them.
WOW, that is seriously cool.  :-+

Does it work?
Shit, stuff like that MUST be preserved.

Yes it does.  Here's the signal generator that goes with it:

Both are from around 1938/1939.
Love art deco[emoji3]

Offline OldSchoolTechCorner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:20 pm »
Well, I have only four scopes. The oldest one (and probably the most treasured) is the Sony-Tektronix 305DMM portable, battery powered 5MHz dual-channel scope. I've bought it over 25 years ago and paid the price of a small car for it (about a year of my salary at the time). It is still on active duty on my bench paired with the Amber 3501 audio analyser.

I also have Tektronix 2465BCT which is my main scope, Agilent DSO3062A for times when I need a digital one (not often, though it may see more use when I'll measure LF noise on my voltage references) and Tektronix 2213A (got it for free at work about 10 years ago, with completely blown input stages in both channels, repaired it and now it is a spare scope in the lab, not getting much use.

Do I need sixteen more scopes? Not really, as I have a collection of over two hundred cassette decks, which takes some space already  :o.

Cheers

Alex

I collect and restore cassette decks and now reel to reel decks

Here some picture of a Nakamichi Dragon I restored, consider to many as one of the best cassette deck made

A Nakamichi BX-300 another great deck

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:55:38 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:47 pm »

Here some picture of a Nakamichi Dragon I restored, consider to many as one of the best cassette deck made

Should we do a separate thread on that in the right section? I have plenty of pictures about cassette deck restoration and useful mods. The Dragon is OK, though not my favourite deck sound-wise, unless heavily modified  ;) .

Cheers

Alex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »

Should we do a separate thread on that in the right section? I have plenty of pictures about cassette deck restoration and useful mods. The Dragon is OK, though not my favourite deck sound-wise, unless heavily modified  ;) .

Cheers

Alex

The main one I use is heavily upgraded electronic and EQ wise. My personal favorite is the ReVox,  or Tandberg, as built like tanks. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:22:37 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »
Last one as a teaser before it goes to different threads, as have 1000's of pictures of different decks.

This one is of a reel to reel deck. A TEAC X1000R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2015, 03:50:49 pm »
Now to get back on topic

I have a GW Instek  GDS-3254 as my main DSO, it a great DSO as does three Input Impedance Selection: 50ohms, 75ohms, 1Mohms and with option does measurements of power quality, harmonics, ripple, inrush current and serial decode bought with options at a closeout deal of around $1500 for the 250mhz 4 channel 3254 version. Don't need a LA as I use a separate 32 channel LA. My analog scope which I have two one working that I finish restoring and one that still needs work, as need to replace pre-amp IC on the broken one both are a Tektronix 2465 which I use the working one quite a bit still, also my main scope, my PC base scope is OWON VDS3104, is actually a good PC based scope that isolated unlike most I tried that pretty worthless. Then my new handheld Siglent SHS1102 going to be using that on my lighting and custom controllers and power supply projects outside. Have to find a good HV probe for it, or make one.  I also have a new Navy surplus 2246 scope.

Had a Siglent ADS 1204cfl scope, but didn't really care for it, I like the GW Instek much better and is quicker for bigger projects, much better then the Rigol I tried, as found the Rigol to be two slow and freezes and lockup at random and the fact that I had to return the first one due to one channel wasn't working correctly, had to hit the case for channel 2 to work, plus on the GW Instek can pull up functions more easier on the new scope with one hand. 

So have 4 working and 1 broken one. So 5 total. Don't need 15 more, so 15 short of 20.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:22:29 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:49 pm »
I have only 12 scopes. So I am short of 8.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
I have so many scopes, I better do not count them.

The first one was the most difficult one to get.
After that, they found me!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »
OldSchoolTechCorner....
Now I am Jealous. Being a past owner of a pair of Ampex 755s, I can honestly say I am green eyed with jealousy.
Okay enough on that subject.........
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Joker2k999

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2015, 08:21:55 pm »
This one's my favorite:

Owow. I can imagine where everyone gathers during your house parties. is the 64' Camaro and Whiskey cured during the great depression on the tour as well.? lol!  Great piece.
Cheers.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:02 pm »
Because insurance only covers limited amount of items.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2015, 11:12:58 pm »
Because insurance only covers limited amount of items.

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
That is worth 50 Points
Sue AF6LJ

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2015, 12:20:23 am »
I have 20+ plugins for my Tek 547. Does that count as separate scopes?  :) Granted, there are a lot of repeats there. The most useful ones are:
1A4 4 trace
1A5 differential
1S1 1GHz sampler
1S2 3.9GHz sampler +TDR
1L5 50Hz-1MHz spectrum analyzer
1L20 10MHz-4.2GHz spectrum analyzer
1L30 10.5GHz spectrum analyzer

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf