Author Topic: Why I really love this old 1999 DMMs?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why I really love this old 1999 DMMs?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:17 pm »
But then again 001, it could be that you have gone off the deep end for good.   I hear that cabin fever is pretty bad in Antarctica.  It probably sucks that you only have penguins to talk to.

You should take a vacation somewhere warmer, like Siberia or Northern Finland.  There are reindeer and occasional eskimos that live there.  Party time.  You won't even think about your DMM. 

(for God's sake, please don't tell us you named your DMM  'WILSON'! )
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 10:53:26 pm »
But then again 001, it could be that you have gone off the deep end for good.   I hear that cabin fever is pretty bad in Antarctica.  It probably sucks that you only have penguins to talk to.

You should take a vacation somewhere warmer, like Siberia or Northern Finland.  There are reindeer and occasional eskimos that live there.  Party time.  You won't even think about your DMM. 

(for God's sake, please don't tell us you named your DMM  'WILSON'! )

Is it sort of some US memes?  :-//

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:57 pm »
I guess it is.  From the year 2000 movie "Cast Away" starring Tom Hanks.  The soccer ball he named and talked to so he would not go nuts.  But by personifying and talking to the ball like it was alive, he was already nuts.

Also, the forum shows you as posting from Antarctica.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

The following users thanked this post: 001

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 12:01:10 am »
It is my love for decades  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
I have tons of them in my workshop, basement and few at sauna house too

Yes it is "free" and crappy
But I WANT to use it everyday
Tell me WHY?

Can you recollect anything in your childhood that traumatized you regarding electricity? Did your friends tease you regarding your hobbies? Take a deep breath and try to remember anything that size and bright red that you loved and lost and now may be trying to somehow reclaim at any cost.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 01:40:03 am »
A dearly departed friend and co-worker loved getting free stuff from HF--meters and flashlights.  He gave me several of those meters over the years.  I just left them in the package and put them away.  I went for a training class and brought 2 of them with me along with fresh batteries.  The plan was to use it for a low resistance measurement that we would need to make.  Both were an order of magnitude off.  Never again.  My Anengs are almost dead on for the same measurement but they are 3 times the price (without coupon) :-DMM.  Just resistance measurements; no mains, no worries!!  The plan is, every couple of months, bring them out of the company van and replace the batteries.  A fluke 27/FM for mains around the house lurks on my bench.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 05:12:12 am »
The 806 ohm resistor is what modemhead, a member here, uses to test out some of his fixed meters.

001 stole his picture and posted it as his own.

See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/cen-tech-92020-dmm/

Modemhead's pictures are also stolen and used without credit in many ebay ads as well.  I can spot modemhead's pictures a mile away.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 10:38:55 am »
Modemhead's pictures are also stolen and used without credit in many ebay ads as well. 

Why so serious? We just pick first google image for "Harbor Freight multimeter" It is silly to photograph wellknown DMM again
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:14:15 am by 001 »

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
Modemhead's pictures are also stolen and used without credit in many ebay ads as well. 

Why so serious? We just pick first google image for "Harbor Freight multimeter" It is silly to photograph wellknown DMM again
Use of the picture here is fine.  However I don't like the idea of someone using them to mis-represent an item for sale on eBay.

The 806.00Ω resistor mounted to a dual banana plug is indeed something I use for quick checks, it plugs right into the input jacks on DMMs with standard spacing, no need to bring test leads into the picture.  The value is somewhat arbitrary since I just picked it out of a junk box years ago, and just stuck with it.  Any picture you find on the internet of a DMM reading "806" is probably mine. :)

I've never actually used these type DMMs before, but I do have some around for "science".  The progressive Muntzing of the design is interesting.  The last time I was at HF I picked up a free one and was amused to find the maximum voltage indicated is now 250V for AC and DC.  No actual design change, of course, just the labeling.  Some have even omitted the fuse, but this particular one still has a soldered-in pigtail fuse.

The latest generation of DTM0660-based cheapies really should render these things obsolete.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 04:47:31 pm »
The progressive Muntzing of the design is interesting.  The last time I was at HF I picked up a free one and was amused to find the maximum voltage indicated is now 250V for AC and DC.  No actual design change, of course, just the labeling.  Some have even omitted the fuse, but this particular one still has a soldered-in pigtail fuse.
The thread below reports some cross generational Muntzing with photographic evidence
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/harbor-freight-cen-tech-90899-small-teardown/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »
I see what You love this meter too
WHY?

I love its feeling, no any logical arguments

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf