Author Topic: Wireless Scope and Meter Interface  (Read 3539 times)

Offline MikeLogixTopic starter

• Contributor
Wireless Scope and Meter Interface
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:10 am »
May I ask what may possibly be a stupid question, but I am not to knowledgeable when it comes to computer networking. I have a TE connectivity problem. The issue is my new scope and meter have both a LAN, and USB interface for PC control. The connectivity problem stems from the fact that my USB hub is a distance away from my test equipment, so I will have to go out and buy some longer cables, which is fine if I have to, but I was wondering if it possible to purchase some wireless adapters to connect the scope to the PC, sorta like my mouse and keyboard has this little receiver dongle that plugs into a USB port on the PC. It would be great to have a couple dongles to connect my gear, so is this possible, and if so how would I go about doing it? What sort of devices would I need to buy? Or would using wireless LAN be a way to go?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Mike

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Wireless Scope and Meter Interface
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:46:15 am »
Michael, both your new units have LAN and the software supplied will work with LAN connectivity as well as USB.

Setup process is not very involved and is outlined in the manuals.
You'll need a network switch to connect both at the same time and some tweaks of the settings in the I/O LAN settings menu.

Which PC OS are you using?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:34:03 am »
There are heaps of cheap Wifi dongles on either eBay or Aliexpress but I ask if you'd want that Wifi EMI in a TE environment?  :-//

Furthermore rear USB connectivity is usually USB B and the A is on the front panel, of course to use USB A you'd sacrifice the ability to grab screenshots with USB sticks although you'd be able to grab them on the PC connected.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:54:08 am »
Michael, both your new units have LAN and the software supplied will work with LAN connectivity as well as USB.

Setup process is not very involved and is outlined in the manuals.
You'll need a network switch to connect both at the same time and some tweaks of the settings in the I/O LAN settings menu.

Which PC OS are you using?

Hi there and thanks for the reply, Yes I realize that the units will work over LAN, or USB. The issue is the distance from the PC and short cables. Anyways I did manage to find an extender cable and was able to hook up to both the scope and DMM :-DMM
I installed the VISA530, and the supplied software and both units worked over USB. Have not tried the LAN.
So using a cable, the setup works as it is supposed to. :) As far as EMI, I had not thought of that, but I would think the frequency is fairly high and would not show up on my instruments, but perhaps it would. I would still like to try wireless because I think it would just be cool 8)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:56:23 am »
There are heaps of cheap Wifi dongles on either eBay or Aliexpress but I ask if you'd want that Wifi EMI in a TE environment?  :-//

Furthermore rear USB connectivity is usually USB B and the A is on the front panel, of course to use USB A you'd sacrifice the ability to grab screenshots with USB sticks although you'd be able to grab them on the PC connected.

Hi again :)
I have not been able to find any sort of dongle that I think would work. The only sort of think I can find is like the things shown below, and I am sure they won't work:

________________________________________________Edit________________________________________________________________________

The more I think about it, the more silly the idea sounds, so I went ahead and order a couple 3 meter USB A to USB B cables. This will work out just fine, so thanks for knocking some sense into me :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:21:46 am by MikeLogix »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:55:45 am »

Hi again :)
I have not been able to find any sort of dongle that I think would work. The only sort of think I can find is like the things shown below, and I am sure they won't work:

________________________________________________Edit________________________________________________________________________

The more I think about it, the more silly the idea sounds, so I went ahead and order a couple 3 meter USB A to USB B cables. This will work out just fine, so thanks for knocking some sense into me :)

We do have a query to the factory asking for advice on WiFi connectivity, we'll let you know.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:43:45 pm »
Hi MikeLogix,

You can use this configuration (see attachment).
Contact us at info@siglent.com
if you have any questions.

The following users thanked this post: MikeLogix

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »
Hi MikeLogix,

You can use this configuration (see attachment).
Contact us at info@siglent.com
if you have any questions.

That is perfect and awesome, thank you so much :-+
I already have all the Software installed so I just need a cable. Once again thanks a bunch.
I am off to the Del Mar Electronics Design show today, so I will give it a try when I return and I will let you know how it went.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:10:12 pm by MikeLogix »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:04:26 am »
Here is the latest on my progress using the LAN interface. I connected an Ethernet cable from the scope to my router (see image). The image also shows my overall setup.
I followed the instructions and setup the scope for DHCP enabled. I wrote down the IP address 192.168.1.13 as I need it later.

I installed the software NI Visa and also visa530full.exe, no problems with the install.
When I run EasyscopeX and try to Add Device, when prompted I enter the IP listed above. A dialog box opens and displays: The device can not be open. Please confirm the IP address.
I then ran NI MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer, it also does not see my device.
If I go into my Netgear router, and look for connected devices, the router does list my scope under wired devices. The device name is listed as "unknown".

I am sure the problem is operator error but I am out of ideas  :-//

Offline mettlerr

• Supporter
  • Simplify!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 03:48:37 am »
Couple of questions:
- Does your router have firewall functionality?
- Is it possible that the wired LAN jacks and the WLAN interface are not on the same network subnet, and the router is not routing between them?
- Did you try PINGing the scope from your PC? What did you get?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 04:15:44 am »
You need your PC's network card LAN settings.

PC
For Windows
Open CMD (DOS box)
Enter ipconfig, press enter
You need IPv4, Subnet mask and Gateway

DSO.
Disable DHCP to allow editing of the LAN settings.

Enter IPv4 address, subnet mask and Gateway into the DSO LAN settings box.
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 is common.
Gateway as listed in ipconfig. Something like 192.168.1.254

Save/Recall to save settings to the DSO.
Enable DHCP and save again.

Mine's running wired through a old 4 port router just being used as a switch but as you have the wireless already working for the internet there shouldn't be any problems.

When connection is active you can also see the IP address in the Easyscope "Scope Explorer" dialogue box.

Let us know how you get on Mike.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:47:55 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf