Author Topic: Wireless USB for Rigol DS1054Z?  (Read 6966 times)

Offline TechItApartTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE Student - Sheffield UK
Wireless USB for Rigol DS1054Z?
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:43 pm »
Hey guys, I literally just got my DS1054Z today from the Rigol distributor in the UK, totally loving it so far but I had a thought... would it be possible to connect a WiFi enabled USB stick to the USB port so I can easily take screenshots on the scope and email them from my phone?

I'm fairly sure the Rigol doesn't support WiFi in any way and I don't have LAN in my house so can't use that. Please someone save me from having to walk 6 feet across my room with a USB stick to email images!!

Perhaps something like this or this might be suitable?

Offline Zeecue

• Contributor
Re: Wireless USB for Rigol DS1054Z?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:46 pm »
You could use a Ethernet to WiFi adapter, that's USB powered. As the scope won't know the difference between the adapter and a real Ethernet network.
I have used them for televisions and set top boxes without problems.
If the USB wireless is working, then you have a "backup" on the USB stick and on the PC.
You can get a SD card with WiFi too, and I guess the Ds1000z is smart enough to use a USB to SD card adapter.

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:30 pm »
I do not think that works. But what works is a Lan to WiFi adapter.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »
Please someone save me from having to walk 6 feet across my room with a USB stick to email images!!
:wtf:
So you go for a walk every time you need a datasheet?
Your PC needs to be on your workbench.  :-//
Then you have LAN, USB or USB stick solutions for your DSO without moving.
Problem solved.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »
I do not think that works. But what works is a Lan to WiFi adapter.

...also known as an "old router that isn't being used any more". There's quite a few of those around.

The main problem is that you need suitable software running on your phone to receive it.

Can't you point your phone at the screen?  :popcorn:

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »
I have not tried it yet: there is a Labview-app, which allows remote control of a device via Wifi. However, when I think of the NI driver for Rigol devices, passes me the fun immediately. Ni-driver and Rigol are like cat and mouse. Rigol and NI do not seem to like. Since it is more promising to try to control the device via telepathy.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »
I guess the Ds1000z is smart enough to use a USB to SD card adapter.

Well, this much is true anyway, I have tested it with a 32 GB microSD card and USB adapter.

But more than that... well, wouldn't it be simpler (and more reliable) to just install your own LAN router, connected with cable to both the scope and the computer?

(I've tried direct ethernet connection from scope to computer and could not get it to work, neither with straight cable nor crossover (null modem) cable. YMMV of course.)
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline TechItApartTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE Student - Sheffield UK
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
Please someone save me from having to walk 6 feet across my room with a USB stick to email images!!
Problem solved.

Haha I think I'm part of the generation X where we do everything using our phones. These suggestions are great, using the Ethernet-WiFi adapter seems best but quite a pain to set up. It may be a fun project to see if I could get something myself with USB mass storage and bluetooth. Would learn loads about USB that way.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 11:00:50 pm »
Problem solved.

Haha I think I'm part of the generation X where we do everything using our phones. These suggestions are great, using the Ethernet-WiFi adapter seems best but quite a pain to set up. It may be a fun project to see if I could get something myself with USB mass storage and bluetooth. Would learn loads about USB that way.
Yeah, I figured that.  ;)

But you should seriously consider some sort of cable connection, if only to reduce EMI and RF from your test bench environment.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:55:12 am »

Well, this much is true anyway, I have tested it with a 32 GB microSD card and USB adapter.

But more than that... well, wouldn't it be simpler (and more reliable) to just install your own LAN router, connected with cable to both the scope and the computer?

(I've tried direct ethernet connection from scope to computer and could not get it to work, neither with straight cable nor crossover (null modem) cable. YMMV of course.)

If SD works, you could use an EyeFi or other similar (FlashAir...) card. DSLR folks have been using those for years to download pictures from an SD card through wifi.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:01:27 am »

Did you assign a static IP to both the PC, and the scope? Usually your router will act as a DHCP server, and handle out IP's.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 05:41:10 am »
I'm fairly sure the Rigol doesn't support WiFi in any way and I don't have LAN in my house so can't use that. Please someone save me from having to walk 6 feet across my room with a USB stick to email images!!

Sorry, I still have not understood your problem, I'm afraid.
Why don't you use a 6 foot USB cable between your scope and your computer?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:23 am »

Did you assign a static IP to both the PC, and the scope?
Yes, I did.
Usually your router will act as a DHCP server, and handle out IP's.
Yes, that's right, and with the router and DHCP the scope connects with no problem.

If someone has actually been able to do a direct ethernet connection without using a router or switch, I haven't heard about it... but I'd like to.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 05:49:24 am »

If SD works, you could use an EyeFi or other similar (FlashAir...) card. DSLR folks have been using those for years to download pictures from an SD card through wifi.

Maybe so, maybe this will help the OP .... but for my own purposes I just connect the scope to my WLAN router with a cable. Then I can use DSRemote software to save screenshots and control the scope remotely, even from the computers in other rooms of the house, or even with my wireless laptop.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:58:34 am »

Totally agree. All my test equipment is also connected on the LAN in case I need to use a laptop or monitor what's going on remotely. It's simple and cheap.
I just thought I'd give the OP another solution as, for some reason, he didn't seem to like the WLAN option.

Maybe so, maybe this will help the OP .... but for my own purposes I just connect the scope to my WLAN router with a cable. Then I can use DSRemote software to save screenshots and control the scope remotely, even from the computers in other rooms of the house, or even with my wireless laptop.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 07:39:48 am »
No pc intervention...i'm generation x who hates suck arse tiny keyboard.... and my room is greater than 6 feet..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
Haha I think I'm part of the generation X where we do everything using our phones. These suggestions are great, using the Ethernet-WiFi adapter seems best but quite a pain to set up.
This does suggest a potentially intriguing thing though: a third-party mobile app for the scope. There are already third-party desktop apps for the Rigols, so this isn't an outlandish idea. (If I knew the first thing about writing apps I'd give it a try, but I'm actually doing electronics to get away from my computer, phone, and iPad to stop my RSI from getting worse!)

P.S. Great username! :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf