Author Topic: ZD985 flashes on randomly  (Read 1924 times)

Offline rilliamTopic starter

ZD985 flashes on randomly
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:05 pm »
I have a ZD985 Desoldering Station that randomly turns itself on momentarily.  :scared:
  • Power cable plugged into AC.
  • Front rocker switch set to OFF position.
How can I fix this? Is my house going to explode?   :scared:

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: ZD985 flashes on randomly
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:58:36 pm »
I am curious to see what anyone thinks.  I also have one but it has never behaved like that.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:42:26 am »
saw that, check the power cable NOW!!!
some have L & N reversed!!!!!

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:13:19 am »
I have a ZD985 Desoldering Station that randomly turns itself on momentarily.  :scared:
  • Power cable plugged into AC.
  • Front rocker switch set to OFF position.
How can I fix this? Is my house going to explode?   :scared:
My recently bought new unit does exactly the same thing. It seems to be the LCD Backlight and nothing else. It even does this when the power is switched off on both lines at the socket.
I think it stopped for a while when i pulled the cable out of the unit, but have not further investigated the issue - i only see a short (~ 100ms) flash of green light like every 5 minutes or so - which is kind of disturbing when you are not sure what was going on left or right of you.

The plan is to open the thing and check if it is a capacitor discharging or wakeup of the unit and increase bleed or whatever it is by adding a resistor parallel to the backlight.

And i live in a country where there is no rule if Phase or Neutral needs to be left or right side... because an open Neutral line in the installation makes all Phase or Neutral lines suddenly hot.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:16:43 am by SparkyFX »
Support your local planet.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:22 am »
just meter the power cable between the 2 ends.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:52 pm »
I can confirm that switching Hot and Neutral seems to cause this.
I have a ZD-915 which has the same issue. Since there are no polarised plugs in germany, the fix was easy: Just turning the plug around. The flashing has stopped completely.

But hoestly, i do not understand why this effect happens with switched polarity. Am i going in the right direction, saying that there seems to be some kind of leakage happening, since the neutral is switched and not the hot?

Offline Questjon

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »
Thought at first that the flashes were my imagination.  Switching the plug around is not an option since I have 2 phases (230VAC between phases in my house ). Guess I have to open the box and put some bleeder resistance to ground from the display or something like that.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 04:24:53 pm »
I've bouhgt one recently (really satisfied fir that price) and I've nevere noticed it switching on randomly, BUT I've opened it for my usual safety check on Chinese mains wiring, and I've seen that there is a 2 pole mains switch but it switches only Live. Neutral is always connected. A third wire carries Neutral to the switch for powering the  neon lamp inside.
If you have Live and Neutral reversed maybe some filter cap in the switching PSU may bleed and switch it on randomly....
I think it should be very simple simple to open the station and wire also the Neutral to the switch (to switch both Live and Neutral). Pay due attention to the wire colors: in mine Live is red and Neutral is black, but I will not be sure that  Ningbo Zhongdi  has a standard....
As soon I have some time I'll rewire the whole thing correctly.
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf