Author Topic: Actual resolution of Flir One V2  (Read 88443 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Actual resolution of Flir One V2
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
Anything running at >120C on my equipment or PCB's is a reason for concern and further investigation.

I exclude soldering irons of course  ;D

I have not needed to analyse a temperature higher than 100C but I know some forum members have needed a higher temperature capability. I will let them comment on such scenarios.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:18 pm »
Ok, one more kinda unrelated question: Do you guys feel the +120°C*vmax is to low for PCB-analysis?

Best,
wischi
No - if it's that hot you don't care if it's 100 or 150 -it's too hot.
And if parts unsolder themselves, that's really too hot!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2015, 05:32:59 pm »

I have been trying to think of electronics related situations that involve temperatures that normally rise above 120C. I can only think of relatively rare ceramic power resistor situations and items that contain heaters such as PCB pre-heaters etc. If a user really wants to see a soldering irons heat distribution, the FLIR ONE will not be the tool to choose.

As Mike has stated, temperatures that are above the capabilities of the FLIR ONE are higher than would normally be a good idea. Such can lead to PCB degradation and component stress. Both situations best avoided.

I can imagine needing a higher temperature capability when looking at internal combustion engines as they have lots of very hot bits  ;D Looking for hot spots on an engine is a little OT for this forum but worth thinking about if a potential buyer is also a fellow petrol head  :-+

Aurora

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2015, 11:48:11 pm »
I have been trying to think of electronics related situations that involve temperatures that normally rise above 120C. I can only think of relatively rare ceramic power resistor situations and items that contain heaters such as PCB pre-heaters etc. If a user really wants to see a soldering irons heat distribution, the FLIR ONE will not be the tool to choose.

Dare I mention it...?  :scared:

RF high power and/or microwave amplifiers utilizing vacuum/thermionic tubes with ceramic insulation (Beryllium oxide). You can use a thermal camera to check for proper cooling and hot spotting (early failure). The actual temperatures allowed during normal operation on external surfaces are frequently up around 200-250 C.

There are even radiation cooled tube types, where the internals are deliberately running at incandecent hot temperatures ('cherry red' is the usual description given) inside an outsize Pyrex glass envelope. However those types of tubes are probably only of interest to hobbyists these days. I'm not even sure if they are manufactured any longer.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:18 am »
Some specialty areas, like oil well data loggers and some aerospace equipment need to operate at very high temperatures.  But for the very vast majority 120C is plenty of temperature measurement capability.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2015, 05:00:03 am »

I have been trying to think of electronics related situations that involve temperatures that normally rise above 120C.
Most overtemperature shutdowns in ics trip at around 130-170°C junction temperature. Depending on the construction the case will be at a lower temperature, but it will be at least in the 120°C range. A higher temperature range would ne nice, but 120°C is ok.

Here is an example of an electronics related situation where 120°C were not enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbjSWxWXurE&feature
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:04:09 am by bktemp »

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2015, 07:33:52 am »
Is it possible to extend the lepton sensors temperature range using a ND filter for example by a factor of 2 or 4?
And if so how expensive mod would that be?

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2015, 07:38:01 am »
You could I guess use the IR ND filters, but they do impact image quality, to what extent I am not sure.

Offline wischi

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2015, 07:45:24 am »
Thanks for your feedback about the FLIR ONE, I will order one plus one or two lenses.

Best,
wischi

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2015, 11:27:31 pm »
My Flir One V2 order was cancelled ... I'm the only one or they are late with the product?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2015, 11:51:18 pm »
Did you get the email last week about shipping delays til Sep ?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2015, 12:52:19 pm »
Yes I get this email ... but yesterday the order was cancelled. Asked to Danielle what's up ... hope to receive a reply tomorrow.

=====================================

Dear Aeldom:
Thank you for your recent order of the FLIR ONE! You certainly aren’t alone. Due to an overwhelming number of orders for the device, we were unable to keep pace. As a result, we are backordered and unable to ship your order by the date we promised and we sincerely apologize for the situation.
Recently we have really been turning up the heat on production and we can confirm that your order will be shipped the week of September 7th. Please note that orders are shipped in the order they are received.
On behalf of everyone at FLIR Systems, I would like to thank you very much for your business and your patience. Please feel free to contact me with comments or questions regarding your order.
Kind regards,

Danielle XXXXXXXXXXX
FLIR One Customer Advocate

FLIR Systems, Inc.
70 Castilian Drive, Goleta, CA 93117 USA

Offline ThomasK888

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
Hi there,

i saw the Pic from the Flir One Sec.Gen. of the electronic Board from Muxr.
Does anyone know the Depth of Field of the Flir one.
What is the minimum distance between the Object an the Camera.
Is it possible to recognize e.g.  a 0402 resistor on the Picture?
@ wishi, what kind of additional Lens do you mean? I think there is no aditional Lens available for the Flir one.  :-//

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2015, 06:42:38 pm »
hello, hope good news! we are receiving the FLIR ONE for iOS and Android begin of October.
discount code: flironenew
free shipment to Europe (we ship from Italy)
here is the link for the two models:
- Android http://www.batterfly.com/shop/flir-one-android
- iOS http://www.batterfly.com/shop/flir-one-ios
 :-+
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2015, 11:44:21 pm »

According to my shopping cart, shipping is free if the order is worth more than 400 EUR (before VAT).
Or is the discount code meant to compensate the shipping cost?

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2015, 05:58:47 am »
FIXED now both discount code and free shipping work
thanks

- - -
Hello, it is discount code and free shipping.
Let me check now, it will be fixed in 45 minutes from now.
Cheers.

According to my shopping cart, shipping is free if the order is worth more than 400 EUR (before VAT).
Or is the discount code meant to compensate the shipping cost?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:23:45 am by gmit77 »
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:52 am »
All this debate could be solved very easily. If FLIR won't tell you, you could buy a spare FLIR One V2, and break it open, and then put the actual focal-plane array microbolometer under a microscope. Then count the number of sensor sites you see vertically, and count horizontally. That will give you the true resolution.

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:11 am »
All this debate could be solved very easily. If FLIR won't tell you, you could buy a spare FLIR One V2, and break it open, and then put the actual focal-plane array microbolometer under a microscope. Then count the number of sensor sites you see vertically, and count horizontally. That will give you the true resolution.
This debate was going on before anyone had gotten their hands on the gen2, breaking one open was not an available option.  It's been more or less settled by now.

Offline thefamilyman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2015, 08:38:05 am »
I received my Flir One today, ordered it on Thursday from the Flir website.

They used GlobalShopex as their international selling agent and honestly they are useless.
I straight away had trouble with their online ordering that it returned an 404 after being redirected from PayPal, this caused my order to be registered on their end but the PayPal transaction was incomplete.
I immediately emailed their support and they emailed me back in 12 hours.
i had placed 4 ordered according to their system but they canceled all bar one that they manually made a PayPal transaction.
in their email they also mentioned that there are back orders and my order wont be shipped out for 2-3 weeks but to my surprise and pleasure i get an automatic email an hour later with a DHL tracking number.
What i did like about GlobalShopex is that they took care of GST and Duties which streamlined the shipping a lot.

Anyway, i'm so happy with the little gadget, its going to be very useful at work.
just a quick shot from it.

And according to their website it's 160*120.

The App works pretty good on my Huawei P8, except it crashes when i enable the LIGHT mode.
the USB is the wrong direction on my Nexus 7, so i'll look at making an extension USB cable for it.
the FLIR Tools App is good for creating quick little reports as like the PDF attached.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2015, 07:51:50 pm »
@thefamilyman,

Glad to hear that you have received your F1G2 camera.Can you advise which country you are in please.

I am still awaiting the delivery of my replacement camera due to demand outstripping supply in Europe.

Regards

Fraser

Offline thefamilyman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »
New Zealand ^_^

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2015, 11:15:45 pm »
New Zealand ^_^
How much in customs charges?

The FLIR One is $250 USD = $385 NZD which should be under the $400NZD limit for waiving all GST and customs charges?

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2015, 04:18:51 am »
This debate was going on before anyone had gotten their hands on the gen2, breaking one open was not an available option.  It's been more or less settled by now.

What method was used to determine the number of physical pixels on the microbolometer? I wouldn't trust advertisement wording from FLIR. They could say 160x120 resolution, but it might just be 2x upscaled from 80x60 resolution (done in camera) and then another 2x upscaling to 320x240 done by the camera app (as seen by the fact that thermometric JPEGs from it have a thermal resolution of 320x240) for a total of 4x upscaling. I'd like an actual horizontal count and vertical count of sensors on the chip, from somebody who's broken one open, and had a microscope handy to count the number of sensors. And he wouldn't have to count them all (10s of thousands of sensors), just horozontaly and vertically (a couple hundred counts). This should be a fairly easy task, and is really the only technique I would consider foolproof.

Offline thefamilyman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:49 am »
@encryptededdy

Flir One US$249.99

DHL to NZ US$17.29 (which is very good, shipping from USA is normally the most expensive location to buy from).

Duties and GST charges USD$55 (This is about right because the GST plus the customs handling free would be more than this and I have no idea what if any duties would be in it too).

So total was US$322.28 landed in 4 days.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2015, 04:37:00 am »

What method was used to determine the number of physical pixels on the microbolometer? I wouldn't trust advertisement wording from FLIR. They could say 160x120 resolution, but it might just be 2x upscaled from 80x60 resolution (done in camera) and then another 2x upscaling to 320x240 done by the camera app (as seen by the fact that thermometric JPEGs from it have a thermal resolution of 320x240) for a total of 4x upscaling. I'd like an actual horizontal count and vertical count of sensors on the chip, from somebody who's broken one open, and had a microscope handy to count the number of sensors. And he wouldn't have to count them all (10s of thousands of sensors), just horozontaly and vertically (a couple hundred counts). This should be a fairly easy task, and is really the only technique I would consider foolproof.
That can't be done without destroying the sensor, as you can't see through the germanium (or other LWIR transparent material) window on top of the sensor with a optical microscope. By removing said window you destroy the sensor.

I don't think FLIR would lie about the physical resolution of the sensor, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check.

The entire lens etc. is larger in the new 160x120 lepton so I think it's logical to believe that FLIR have moved to a 160x120 12um sensor (as stated in their datasheet I posted in the other thread) vs the old 80x60 17um sensor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf