Author Topic: Actual resolution of Flir One V2  (Read 88516 times)

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Actual resolution of Flir One V2
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:46 am »
Does anyone know the actual resolution of the 2nd gen Flir One which supports Android?

Flir seem to indicate 160x120, but they say this is an "enhanced" resolution, and it uses a Lepton core (which seems to be 80x60 only)

I'm tempted to get one and sell my Seek Thermal, but I think 80x60 even with MSX will be too low resolution for SMD work. I plan to add a lens to it, to use it with SMD, so MSX would usually be off.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Re: Actual resolution of Flir One V2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:55 am »
Got one on my desk. What's the simplest way to determine actual resolution?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:43:08 am »
Look at an image with sharp gradients, you will be able to tell if it uses interpolation or something. Just upload a photo here and we can probably tell.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:24 am »
Just took a pic of a finned heatsink. MSX turned off.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:19 am »
Hard to pick out any contrasting edges - could you get a picture of something with a sharp edge? Maybe something like a soldering iron, or a thin and hot wire.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
Well you can easily resolve 30 fins. That's surely more than 60 pixels in the horizontal direction?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 11:47:19 am »
Yes - I appreciate that and thanks for taking the photo with the camera. But I am trying to determine if the resolution is greater than 80 pixels across. That sets a lower bound of 60 pixels but we know the Flir Lepton sensor is at least 80x60. I'm just wondering if Flir have a custom 160x120 Lepton, or if they're just talking about some edge enhancement algorithm that improves apparent sharpness but doesn't actually add extra data.

It does look remarkably better than my Seek, and at a price that is extremely competitive.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »
It was a rushed picture, I have 'stuff' to attend to this afternoon and over the weekend. I'll try pictures with an increasing number of fins when I get back. I also have a Testo camera with 160x120 resolution I can do the same tests with.

Post of pic from the Seek camera with 30 similar fins if you can please? Or if somebody has an existing Flir One they can try the same.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »
I have written to my friends in FLIR on this topic and hope to have a definitive answer soon.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:22 pm »
Post of pic from the Seek camera with 30 similar fins if you can please? Or if somebody has an existing Flir One they can try the same.

I don't have anything similar at hand but this photo shows what Seek is capable of:
(With custom software: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/seekthermal-how-to-correct-the-image-received-from-the-sensor/)

I'll try to find a pcb that has even smaller pins on IC.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:14:02 pm by frenky »

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:26:47 pm »
whats the FOV of the new flir one?
can someone make a picture of a PCB?

@frenky
Have you used any additional lenses?

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:23 pm »
Yes I used 50mm lens in front of seek.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44:45 pm »
So I did a little experiment. I took the original image, and downscaled it to both purported resolutions, just to see how much data is lost. I don't know that this is a valid test. Since image resizing algorithm is obviously going to discard more when squeezing the image into a smaller resolution. But I still think it's interesting.

edit: also there are some jpeg compression artifacts at play, but I used 100% quality in every step.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:50:04 pm by Muxr »

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:49:51 pm »
Not sure if this helps but here is an ambient temp heat sink against my hand.  Seems we can see the fins, gen 1 max blending off

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:22 pm »
Well executed interpolation can be challenging to spot on thermal images when looking at everyday objects. The 160x120 image is up-scaled to the resolution of the phone screen as well.

A side by side comparison with a reference 160x120 pixel camera image is likely a good way to spot any obvious image manipulation. A common target, such as an SOIC chip, could be used to compare edge detail around the pins.  I can produce 160x120 images from an NEC AVIO F30 or TESTO 875. I will see what I can do over the weekend.

There are some clever image experts on this forum. Maybe they know how best to spot multiple levels of interpolation.

Aurora

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:59 pm »
Ok so I added a 3rd sample. In it I tried to exaggerate the loss due to recompression and bicubic scaling. It's the original image, downscaled to 160x120, then upscaled to 320x240, and back down to 160x120 again.

You can tell that the image maintains the original detail. Where as going down to 80x60 has produced a significant loss in detail. My feeling is that the new camera indeed has more resolution.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 01:44:24 am »
What's strange is the Moiré pattern that's so pronounced, is this usual?  It persists on all samples in a very clearly defined pattern.  I defer to your expertise but does this point to post-processing issues on-device or interpolation?  Very interesting and thank you.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 01:53:55 am »
I don't know much about how thermal imaging sensors work, but the moire pattern is common in digital imaging. Most imaging color sensors use a Bayer pattern and they all require an anti aliasing filter to combat moire. Some super high resolution camera makers do away with the filter in order to restore some of the sharpness lost due to the AA filter (we're talking 36mp +). Fujifilm uses X-trans sensors which combat this by laying RGB fotosites in a different pattern.

You can see the difference in uniformity. of RGB photosites.

This is why film didn't have moire, because it had random distribution of pigment.

So moire is to be expected on sharp edges. I doubt you'd want an AA filter on a thermal imaging sensor. Also we're still dealing with really low resolutions here where accuracy is more important than the pleasing look.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:55:46 am by Muxr »

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 02:02:39 am »
Muxr thank you for taking the time to explain, I apologize and now realize you were taking a singular posted image and applying resolution degredation as an approxmiation for resolution differences.  I would assume the same Moiré pattern as you upscaled and downscaled the same image.  Apologies on my part; I saw the patterning and wasnt' sure of it's origin but you've explained it very well and I've learned something new today.  A sincere thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:06:04 am by NathanFowler »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 02:07:40 am »
Muxr thank you for taking the time to explain, I apologize and now realize you were taking a singular posted image and applying resolution degredation as an approxmiation for resolution differences.  I would assume the same Moiré pattern as you upscaled and downscaled the same image.  Apologies on my part; I saw the patterning and wasnt' sure of it's origin but you've explained it very well.
Exactly, my crude method was really an experiment to see if an 80x60 image could contain the detail seen in the original image. After comparing the detail lost when resampling down to 80x60, I think not. I think the new sensor does indeed have a higher resolution.

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 02:12:26 am »
Sorry for the confusion.

It's I that should apologize and thank you for the explanation and taking the time to do so.  To use an American colloquism, it just "clicked" meaning all pieces of the mental puzzle suddenly were in place.  I very much apprecaite your explanation and taking the time to educate me.

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 03:33:48 am »
A common target, such as an SOIC chip, could be used to compare edge detail around the pins.

I can help with images from my Seek. It's the XR version so I didn't use additional lens.

The square IC in the first one is a QFN32, so 0.5 mm pitch. It's also present in the second image.
The chip in the second image (bottom left) has a 0.8 mm pitch.

The dimension of the first image is about 38 x 28 mm, while the second one is 11 x 8 cm.

I also attached enlargements of both with bicubic interpolation.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 11:49:35 pm »
There are some clever image experts on this forum. Maybe they know how best to spot multiple levels of interpolation.

Aurora
see here for sample images from a heating wire and some ImageMagick steps
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-one-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown-and-hacks/msg551882/#msg551882

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 11:01:52 am »
I don't have any lenses of any kind and the Flir is fixed focus so there's no point me trying to take photos of boards. So don't ask.

After I took it apart and bodged it back together I put the heatsink back in the oven again and tried a few pics at different distances to see where it became impossible to resolve individual fins.

With the Testo 875-1i (manually adjustable focus) this is the furthest I could get before it all became a blur:

A quick measure of the stepped jaggies easily reveals a resolution of 160H x 120V. Exactly as claimed by Testo for that model. There's no significant attempt at interpolation or cheaty processing that I can see in that pic.

On to the new Flir. Furthest I could get and still see all the fins:

Lots of interpolation and processing going on, no obvious jaggies and it all just rapidly turned into a blob if I moved a few cm more away. Counting horizonontal fins I guess it's *just* possible to resolve about 50 across the entire width (that heastsink has 30 and it doesn't fill the entire width). Double that up and we have 100, not quite the 120H we were looking for but not far off considering the focus is probably crap at the distance the picture was taken. Sorry I didn't rotate the camera 90 degrees to match the Testo pic...

I'm not a fanboy, I'm not trying to sell these things, in fact I have no need for them. I'm just curious. But if somebody gave me one of these and asked what the sensor resolution was then right now I'd say it was 120x160 considering the poor focus at short distances. I'd rather Flir didn't f*ck about with interpolation and processing because it doesn't add anything in my view, the raw images would perfectly acceptable combined with MSX.

Edited to get some details right lol

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:40:47 pm by TopLoser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
For anyone not familiar with what IRISYS did to enhance their low resolution camera images, I attach an image showing what they achieved.

IRISYS were working with a low resolution 16x16 pixel pyrometer chip that needed a lot of interpolation to achieve a useful image.They interpolated from 16x16 up to 128x128 ! As many readers will know, interpolation adds no true data to an image, it just takes the values of adjacent pixels and inserts virtual data in the midpoint between the two. Depending on how well interpolation is implemented, it can be challenging to spot in a processed image, especially if other image processing algorithms to remove sharp transitions are in use.

In a visible light camera you use a resolution chart to see the true imager resolution. This gets below any interpolation that may be in play. Sadly I have no such chart for use in the thermal domain.

A thought to consider.......

FLIR may be using sophisticated interpolation, and other image processing techniques, that may challenge us to determine whether the microbolometer is native 80x60 or 160x120........ If this is the case, they have done a very good job  :-+ If they are operating a X2 interpolation and we cannot truly see such in the real world, we are unlikely to have issues with the images that the camera produces in daily life  ;)

If our tasking is so demanding that it needs 160x120 physical resolution, then we should be able to clearly see the image degradation when compared with a known 160x120 thermal camera.

If not.....be happy  :-+

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:18:22 pm by Aurora »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:11 pm »
No reply from FLIR to my question on physical resolution yet but it is the weekend.

In truth, FLIR's response to my question will provide teh answer to this threads question. Answers will be one of the following:

1. Interpolation and image processing used to create a 160x120 image from a 80x60 microbolometer array

2. Microbolometer array is constructed in a 160x120 array of 19200 pixels

3. Nil response or decline to comment due to commercial sensitivities ..... read this as meaning interpolation of a 80x60 microbolmeter is being used in the design.

We shall see what FLIR say this week.

Aurora

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:47 pm »

In a visible light camera you use a resolution chart to see the true imager resolution. This gets below any interpolation that may be in play. Sadly I have no such chart for use in the thermal domain.

I'm curious... why is the finned heatsink not usable as a substitute for resolution chart?

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »
In a visible light camera you use a resolution chart to see the true imager resolution. This gets below any interpolation that may be in play. Sadly I have no such chert for use in the thermal domain.
Would dark and light surfaces (i.e. ink and paper) have different enough emissivities to be distinguishable?

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »
In a visible light camera you use a resolution chart to see the true imager resolution. This gets below any interpolation that may be in play. Sadly I have no such chert for use in the thermal domain.
Would dark and light surfaces (i.e. ink and paper) have different enough emissivities to be distinguishable?

No, however, a chart like that can be easily constructed by cutting rectangular holes in a piece of paper and having a higher temperature object behind it.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 01:29:48 pm »
@Toploser,

The following article explains how I use resolution charts with visible light cameras

http://blog.almalence.com/how-to-measure-the-resolution-of-a-digital-camera/

It is important to match the target 'grille' to the pixels and doing this with a fixed pitch heatsink is challenging and relies upon the distance of the camera to the lens to set the width of the 'fin' so that it covers only one pixel width and is 'in sync' the others that the microbolomers sees. A resolution chart provides 'grilles' or varying resolutions and is calibrated for such.

I am not saying a heatsink cannot be used, but it will not be easy.

Aurora

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »
One last picture to ponder:

Landscape orientation 731 x 579 pixels 1.25:1 aspect ratio. Not quite the 1.33:1 ratio as would be expected so some horizontal pixels are being 'lost' offscreen.

Notice the jaggies on the right hand side sloping edge...

777 pixels total width after correcting for the missing pixels. I count 13 jaggies in a 63 pixel horixontal interval, one every 5.25 pixels, that rather conveniently gives what looks like a 160.3 pixel sensor resolution. Notice that Flir do some interpolation and processing between each jaggie edge to make it look better, but underlying resolution seems to be 160 pixels.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:53 pm »
@Toploser,

The following article explains how I use resolution charts with visible light cameras

http://blog.almalence.com/how-to-measure-the-resolution-of-a-digital-camera/

It is important to match the target 'grille' to the pixels and doing this with a fixed pitch heatsink is challenging and relies upon the distance of the camera to the lens to set the width of the 'fin' so that it covers only one pixel width and is 'in sync' the others that the microbolomers sees. A resolution chart provides 'grilles' or varying resolutions and is calibrated for such.

I am not saying a heatsink cannot be used, but it will not be easy.

Aurora

And almost impossible with an unfocussed camera, but this is not a lab and I'm using stuff to get a VERY rough idea.

We're looking for a factor 2 here, not a few lines/mm difference between different lenses.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:01 pm »
That looks a lot better, but I'm not 100% convinced. I will try and get some comparison shots with my NEC.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »
One last picture to ponder:

Landscape orientation 731 x 579 pixels 1.25:1 aspect ratio. Not quite the 1.33:1 ratio as would be expected so some horizontal pixels are being 'lost' offscreen.

Please post an original saved jpg from the flir app (this includes the raw values)

Then we can get the real resolution- see my samples (convert with exiftools):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-one-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown-and-hacks/msg551882/#msg551882

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:37 pm »
Just took a pic of a finned heatsink. MSX turned off.

from this nice image we get a sensor resolution of 120x90 pixel like FLIR E5

Code: [Select]
$ convert crop772x579.png -resize x1200 res1.png
$ identify res1.png
res1.png PNG 900x1200 900x1200+0+0 8-bit sRGB 565KB 0.000u 0:00.000

$ convert -size 10x10 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,9"  -draw "line 0,0 9,0"  1.png
$ convert -size 900x1200 tile:1.png -transparent white grid3.png

$ convert res1.png grid3.png -flatten overlay3.png

crop of a overlay with a 120x90 pixel grid (see steps on vertical lines)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 06:24:19 pm »
@tomas123,

120x90  ???

The E5 spec always interested me. I know of no microbolometer array that uses a 120x90 format.
I always suspected that such was just some weird idea from FLIR for an intermediate resolution step. As we know the Ex is 320x240 and they manipulate the data to create whatever resolution they want.

But why claim 160x120 and then provide a software created 120x90 resolution instead.

All very weird I must say  :-//

Aurora

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »
Please post an original saved jpg from the flir app (this includes the raw values)

Obviously out of focus range because I couldn't adjust the MSX distance value to align the IR and normal images.

EDIT: just added a diagonal view, probs from too far away to be useful but here it is anyway

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:35:49 pm by TopLoser »

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 08:03:32 pm »
Very interesting comments all around, thank you TopLoser for sharing the images.

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 08:04:40 pm »
If you have a better thermal camera around, you could take an image with the Flir One, that covers a known width and height and then take another one with the higher resolution camera, of the same object but covering (width, height) * ratio. Even if the interpolation might fool you a bit, it should still be visible in the amount of detail.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 08:19:55 pm »
If you have a better thermal camera around, you could take an image with the Flir One, that covers a known width and height and then take another one with the higher resolution camera, of the same object but covering (width, height) * ratio. Even if the interpolation might fool you a bit, it should still be visible in the amount of detail.

Not going to happen, sorry! This Flir One is already sold to an impatient group member who didn't want to wait, they picked it up a few hours ago.

I was impressed with it, I've already ordered another one for myself.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »

By chance did you have Gen 1 or the fine person who picked up yours, I'd be curious to see it compared and contrasted even with interpolation.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 08:27:48 pm »
I did some playing with the images...

I measured the right side of this photo with 13 visible ridges which are actual thermal pixel and is 73.4px wide.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2063383/ir%20stuff/jaggies.PNG

So 1 thermal pixel is 5.6 pixels on image.

So I made a crop 504x504 which translates to 90x90 thermal pixels:

I resized it to 90x90:

And then up-scaled it back to 504x504:

If you look at the original and processed image you will see that new image has exactly the same ridges as the original:

So thermal resolution is not 120x160. It's closer to 103x131...

If we had a photo with hot wire going diagonally we could determine resolution quite precise.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:00:46 pm by frenky »

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 08:29:08 pm »

By chance did you have Gen 1 or the fine person who picked up yours, I'd be curious to see it compared and contrasted even with interpolation.

No I don't have a Gen 1 sorry. I asked if anybody with a Gen 1 could do the same kind of test as I did but got no response.

Over to you lot now, I posted enough pics to allow better minds than mine come to some conclusion.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 08:33:39 pm »
I have a Gen 1 on iOS, how can I help, I am very willing to take images/pictures?  I'm fixing to (American Southern Colloquialism for "happening in the next few seconds") to just order a Gen-2 and do a side-by-side comparison on-list for those that it could help.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:46 pm »
I have a Gen 1 on iOS, how can I help, I am very willing to take images/pictures?  I'm fixing to (American Southern Colloquialism for "happening in the next few seconds") to just order a Gen-2 and do a side-by-side comparison on-list for those that it could help.

I just added a raw pic taken at a diagonal to a previous post, hope that helps thomas123 delve a little deeper.

Obviously I'd suggest an image of a heatsink with fins 1.5mm apart for direct comparison, but I guess that's not possible.

Maybe the group should suggest what they regard as a suitable comparison image.

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
Obviously I'd suggest an image of a heatsink with fins 1.5mm apart for direct comparison, but I guess that's not possible.

Would be great, I do have access to various heatsinks, boards, etc.  Selection of a common object with enough detail to discern differences between the two would be nice but I defer to the expertise of those here with the intent to help in any way I can.  Thanks all.

I do have some lenses but it's hit or miss.  I'm an amateur radio (ham)/computer guy so I just bang rocks together and call it science  :)

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 08:59:18 pm »

Good image would be one without MSX and with straight (under angle) lines going from one side of the image to another. (Without any gaps on the sides)

Like this:

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 09:06:46 pm »

Good image would be one without MSX and with straight (under angle) lines going from one side of the image to another. (Without any gaps on the sides)

Like this:

Bit of a pain without closeup lenses because of the fixed focus (min 1m I think, based on the MSX adjustment slider range ) of the standard lens.

Plus I really don't think single line images are any use due to the amount of interpolation and processing that can be applied to them. You really need multiple parallel lines.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:23:12 pm by TopLoser »

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »
flir one gen one 1.0.11 firmware sent from iPhone 5s so sorry for rubbish typing

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »
It's 80x60.  ;D

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:57 pm »
It's 80x60.  ;D

His Flir One is first gen :), now we need the same picture from thew new Flir One.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2015, 09:49:51 pm »
It's 80x60.  ;D

His Flir One is first gen :), now we need the same picture from thew new Flir One.

This is not a good test. I can take a low resolution image of a single line and apply multiple smoothing, dilation and erosion passes to it to give a very high resolution image at the end. The same techniques applied to multiple parallel lines would result in a very different result.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2015, 09:59:43 pm »
EDIT: just added a diagonal view, probs from too far away to be useful but here it is anyway

looks like 120x90

all steps:
//extract RAW and resize 300%
exiftool -b -RawThermalImage diagonal\ from\ app.jpg > v2.png
convert  -define png:swap-bytes=on v2.png -auto-level -filter point -resize 720x 720x960.png

//stretch level
convert 720x960.png -level 0,25000 720x960.png

//get palette
exiftool diagonal\ from\ app.jpg -b -Palette > pal.raw
convert -size 224X1 -depth 8 YCbCr:pal.raw -separate -swap 1,2 -set colorspace YCbCr -combine -colorspace RGB pal.png
convert 720x960.png pal.png -clut 720x960color.png

// 120x90 (x8 -> 960x720)
convert -size 8x8 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,7"  -draw "line 0,0 7,0"  8x8.png
convert -size 720x960 tile:8x8.png -transparent white grid8.png
convert 720x960color.png -page -2-2 grid8.png -flatten overlay-120x90color.png
convert overlay-120x90color.png -crop 200x200+300+100 crop-120x90color.jpg

//  160x120 (x6 -> 960x720)
convert -size 6x6 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,5"  -draw "line 0,0 5,0"  6x6.png
convert -size 720x960 tile:6x6.png -transparent white grid6.png
convert 720x960color.png grid6.png -flatten overlay-160x120color.png
convert overlay-160x120color.png -crop 200x200+300+100 crop-160x120color.jpg

the cropped result:

overlay 120x90

overlay 160x120

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »

all steps
exiftool -b -RawThermalImage from\ app.jpg > v2.png
convert  -define png:swap-bytes=on v2.png -auto-level -filter point -resize 720x 720x960.png

//get palette
exiftool from\ app.jpg -b -Palette > pal.raw
convert -size 224X1 -depth 8 YCbCr:pal.raw -separate -swap 1,2 -set colorspace YCbCr -combine -colorspace RGB pal.png

convert -size 8x8 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,7"  -draw "line 0,0 7,0"  8x8.png
convert overlay-120x90color.png -crop 300x200+100+700 crop-120x90color.jpg

convert -size 6x6 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,5"  -draw "line 0,0 5,0"  6x6.png
convert overlay-160x120color.png -crop 300x200+100+700 crop-160x120color.jpg

the cropped result:

overlay 120x90

overlay 160x120

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 10:22:09 pm »

looks like 120x90

all steps:
exiftool -b -RawThermalImage diagonal\ from\ app.jpg > v2.png

//stretch level
convert 720x960.png -level 0,25000 720x960.png

//get palette
exiftool diagonal\ from\ app.jpg -b -Palette > pal.raw

convert overlay-120x90color.png -crop 200x200+300+100 crop-120x90color.jpg

convert overlay-160x120color.png -crop 200x200+300+100 crop-160x120color.jpg

the cropped result:

overlay 120x90

overlay 160x120

Looks like this coin has 3 sides!! 120x90 would certainly fit in with Flirs statement that it's an improved Lepton but reluctance to state what the physical resolution is.

Thanks very much for your valued and objective input thomas123 :)

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:45 pm »

Like this:

yes, see my experiments with a heating wire from last year:
after the sensitivity tests above it's time to make a resolution test

I used a 0,2mm heating wire and took some photos from 1m distance of the diagonal wire.
To avoid optical crosstalk I only heated the wire 5 Kelvin.

First the screenshots from Flir Tools. Here you can check the minor temperature differences (crosstalk)

E40 (hacked to 320x240 pixel)

Flir One (80x60 pixel)

we can see, that the noise level from the Flir One by a 6 Kelvin scale is very good (compared to the Seek Thermal infrared camera) 
please note the cold spots around the wire (artefacts from upscaling to 160x120??)

now some steps with imagemagick and exiftool to extract the raw values
As overlay a grid, to show the real size of one sensor pixel.
For better viewing I resize a sensor pixel to 8x8 screen pixels

Flir E40 (image IR_3115.jpg with 320x240 sensor pixels)

//extract RAW
$ exiftool -b -RawThermalImage IR_3115.jpg > IR_3115.tif

//auto-level and resize (without interpolation!) to 8x8 pixel size
$ convert IR_3115.tif -auto-level -filter point -resize 2560x wire6.png

//draw one square with size 8x8
$ convert -size 8x8 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,7"  -draw "line 0,0 7,0"  1.png

//enlarge to 320x240 squares of size 8x8
$ convert -size 2560x1920 tile:1.png 320x240.png

//overlay grid with image
$ convert wire6.png 320x240.png  -compose overlay -composite IR_3115ov.png

//crop a part of 640x480 => 80x60 sensor pixel
$ convert IR_3115ov.png -crop 640x480+800+700 IR_3115ov-crop.png

this is a crop with the size of 80x60 sensor pixels ( crop to same size like Flir One)
(the full image download as attachment)
one square = one sensor pixel of Flir Exx

the result is really sharp (thanks to good optics of the Flir Exx)
Wow

Now process the image from the Flir One ( IMG_3353.JPG )
Flir converts the RAW values of the Lepton Sensor from 80x60 to 160x120 Pixel.
I still make a overlay grid of 80x60 Pixel. As result you see 4 extrapolated pixels in one 8x8 sensor square.

//extract RAW
$ exiftool -b -RawThermalImage IMG_3353.JPG > wire.png

//change byte order, auto-level and resize (without interpolation) to 8x8 pixel size
$ convert  -define png:swap-bytes=on wire.png -auto-level -filter point -resize 640x IMG_3353.png

//draw one square with size 8x8
$ convert -size 8x8 xc:none -stroke gray -strokewidth 0  -draw "line 0,0 0,7"  -draw "line 0,0 7,0"  1.png

//enlarge to 80x60 sensor pixel squares
$ convert -size 640x480 tile:1.png 80x60.png

//overlay grid with image
$ convert IMG_3353.png 80x60.png -compose overlay -composite IMG_3353ov.png

one square = one sensor pixel of Flir One

Well, the result is definite poorer, as the 80x60 crop of the Exx ...
... but the Exx is a reference design.

I think this a good result for the price of the Flir One.
Please note the above described cold spots around the wire.

Edit 19.11.2014
better use this code with transparent png's
$ convert -size 640x480 tile:1.png -transparent white grid.png
$ convert largeimage.png grid.png -flatten overlay.png

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 10:46:54 pm »
Looks like this coin has 3 sides!! 120x90 would certainly fit in with Flirs statement that it's an improved Lepton but reluctance to state what the physical resolution is.

Thanks very much for your valued and objective input thomas123 :)

maybe the sensor is 160x120 and the Flir firmware reduce the resolution to 120x90 (like Flir E5)

but in my post above with Flir E40 you can see, that the lens quality is a major factor for high resolution

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »
Well I have received a response to my resolution query lodged with FLIR:

My Question was:

"Hi,

I have pre-ordered the 2nd Generation FLIR ONE for Android and need to clarify something about the new cameras thermal specification. I have already been advised that the new LEPTON produces 4X the resolution of the old 80x60 core, but this could be achieved through interpolation within the ROIC.

I own and use several FLIR thermal cameras and for my applications I need true 160 pixel x 120 pixel physical (optical) resolution from my cameras. That is to say, interpolation from 80x60 up to 160x120 would not work for me.

Please will you confirm the physical pixel count of the Microbolometer used in the new 2nd Generation Lepton core

Kindest Regards

Fraser"

The response from FLIR CS was:

"Hi Fraser,

The lepton core does have the higher resolution but the FLIR ONE outputs a VGA image with the MSX applies. I confirmed and I was informed that this will work for you.

I hope this answers your question, I will go ahead and close your ticket but if you have any more questions or need more information, please feel free to reopen the ticket by responding to this email or logging into the support portal.

Thank you for contacting FLIR ONE Support "

Well that was not the response I was hoping for. I specifically asked if the microbolometer was physically 160x120 or interpolated from a lower resolution.

The answer should have been either. Yes, it is 160x120 or No, it is interpolated from X

I get suspicious when an OEM tells me something will "work for me" yet will not provide a specific confirmation of the physical specification.

Gee this is like getting blood out of a stone  :palm:

I will ask a VERY direct question now. Namely please conform whether the 2nd Generation FLIR ONE  microbolometer is 160x120 PHYSICAL Pixels.

How about someone else having a go ? If enough people ask, we might get a straight answer on this matter ?

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:30:55 pm by Aurora »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2015, 03:10:59 pm »
Perhaps ask for the total number of thermal pixels... is it at least 19,200?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »

This is my next question to FLIR support.

"Dear FLIR support,

Thank you for you previous response, but I do need confirmation of the 2nd Gen FLIR ONE microbolometer specification.

Please will you answer this direct and simple question:

Please confirm that the 2nd Generation FLIR ONE microbolometer uses an array of 160x120 PHYSICAL Pixels and that these are active in the images produced.

If not, please state the arrays physical pixel specification.

I am sorry to be so pedantic but this specification is VERY important to my application (which is not use as a simple phone thermal camera).

Kindest Regards

Fraser"

Its a simple question so if FLIR Support cannot answer it, they are either not qualified to be support officers or have something that they want to hide. I am not into conspiracy theories but it is almost as though the FLIR staff do not know the specification of their new product, or if they do, are unwilling to release such.

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:33:13 pm by Aurora »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 03:42:07 pm »
Just a received a response from FLIR in in the USA  :-+  That was super fast, I only just sent the question !  I wonder if they are reading this thread ?

"Hi Fraser,

From the information that I have received the second generation of the FLIR ONE uses an array of 160x120 PHYSICAL Pixels and that these are active in the images produced"

So there you have it. The best I can do on the support front. A confirmation that the microbolometer is 160x120 active physical pixels.

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:45:43 pm by Aurora »

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 03:43:25 pm »
Good job!

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 04:03:28 pm »
Time to order a 2nd gen =)  Thanks Fraser, much appreciated.

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »
How reliable should it work with any android phone?

There are only a few phones listed on flirs website,
I have a LG Optimus X4 HD

Do you think I can order without worrys or make sure I will be able to return it if my handy does not likes it?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Just a received a response from FLIR in in the USA  :-+  That was super fast, I only just sent the question !  I wonder if they are reading this thread ?

"Hi Fraser,

From the information that I have received the second generation of the FLIR ONE uses an array of 160x120 PHYSICAL Pixels and that these are active in the images produced"

So there you have it. The best I can do on the support front. A confirmation that the microbolometer is 160x120 active physical pixels.

Aurora
The second question - is the lens up to the job of the increased resolution..?
Hard to tell from the photos if it's the same size as the previous version
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »

"Hi Fraser,

Aurora
The second question - is the lens up to the job of the increased resolution..?
Hard to tell from the photos if it's the same size as the previous version

I think it must be, the lens is part to the lepton sensor itself. It would be pointless to develop a new sensor and provide it with a inadequate lens.
A good sensor and a bad lens can be expected I think only if this are separate parts that can be changed.

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »
PS: can the flir one be operated on a PC like the seek can?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 06:46:44 pm »
@Mike,

Sadly I am not an optics expert so can offer no definitive comment on this. The lens is a significant factor when it comes to producing a decent image, and I do know that Megapixel visible light cameras benefit greatly from Megapixel quality lens. No its not just sales jargon. Megapixel lenses are just better quality than non Megapixel types.

When it comes to the FLIR ONE I am thinking along the lines of a cheap Web Cam. I have seen some pretty awful cheap and nasty 320x240 webcams that have lenses so small that you think they are actually using a pin hole. Yet they still mange to produce a reasonable image. I had a specialist security system that contained a camera having an on die glass bead lens of only ~1mm diameter. That camera still managed to produce a 320x240 visible light image, albeit a fisheye type, so full of distortion (note to self... (find that camera in my attic and show it on this blog  :) )

I am not sure how small a lens can be at 160x120 resolution before it seriously impacts on the image produced.

We do know that lens will be either GASIR or or some similar cheap to manufacture process. The quality of the lens material could be an issue as I know that GASIR is not as good as Germanium when used in thermal camera lenses.

All interesting stuff. I don't think I will batter FLIR Customer Services with any more probing questions for the moment though  ;D

As a side note, I originally wrote to FLIR customer support and they redirected me to a dedicated FLIR ONE team with its own support staff. It would appear that the FLIR ONE has its own enclave within the greater FLIR company. This is clever thinking as the target market for the ONE cameras is far more likely to ask lots of support related questions. Having such an enclave takes this load off of the support staff who look after Industry etc.  Maybe that is why my simple, but technical, question caused an issue. Maybe the support team are expecting questions along the lines of "how to I install the application?, how to I charge the camera?, does it work under water ?, will it work with my XYZ phone" etc etc

Asking about Pixels probably made some poor support officers brain explode  ;D

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:51:51 pm by Aurora »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »

"Hi Fraser,

Aurora

Spectacular. Thanks for all of your efforts ferreting out this info.

Now it is waiting time:

1   FLIR ONE for iOS
Est. Delivery Date:   Jul 24 - Aug 3, 2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:01:59 pm by dadler »

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:20 pm »
Another one of these was delivered to me today, must have pressed the 'buy' button a few times too many last week.

I think the lens quality is what is holding the sensor back with this new version - the reason why it was difficult to determine the physical pixel resolution from pictures taken and why thomas123 thought 120 x 90 was the physical resolution after all his calculations.

I've taken pictures of various detailed and complex scenes with a Testo 875 (physical 160 x 120 but BIG adjustable focus lens) and the new Flir (tiny fixed focus lens). I took them from 1.5m distance so the Flir should have been in focus, I adjusted the Testo to get the sharpest image.

Testo blows the Flir out of the water, despite having identical physical resolution - the optics are just so much in its favour.

The little Flir is so cute though, and so convenient to use for undemanding little jobs around the house.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 09:04:45 pm »
@Toploser,

To be fair though..... the TESTO is a very different beast to the 2nd Gen FLIR ONE. Its is more akin to the FLIR Exx series and it has a physically huge high quality microbolometer compared to the LEPTON. The 875 is an industrial grade thermal camera, it wasn't significantly better than the FLIR ONE I would be very worried. Your assessment of the TESTO lens is spot on though. It is a multi element large chunk of diamond turned Germanium costing a significant part of the cameras several Thousand Dollars cost.

A fixed focus lens is a compromise solution by necessity and it will never compare well to the sharp focus capability of a variable focus lens.

I also own a TESTO 875 and it is a nice camera  ;D

Aurora
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:07:02 pm by Aurora »

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:16 pm »
The new Lepton sensor seems to be pushing the limits of the existing lens, Flirs next step forwards will have to be improving the optics, they've reached the tradeoff point now.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 10:27:54 pm »
Indeed, the LEPTON is very small indeed. FLIR have done well to design and build such a compact core.
I note that larger lenses appear to be available for the 80x60 LEPTON as Digikey sell several models of LEPTON now. Sadly it is unlikely to be an easy retrofit onto the FLIR ONE because of the built in shutter that IIRC sits in front of the objective and not behind where it is found on conventional TIC's.

If the new 160x120 core can actually perform well with better quality lenses, it will make a lovely core for experimentation. Let us hope it delivers  better image than the SEEK microbolometer when it comes to some more demanding targets such as PCB components.

I highly recommend that you consider spending around £10 on a 12mm, or greater diameter, Chinese ZnSe Plano Convex CO2 laser lens. Pick an FL that suits your needs, but I recommend a 100mm to start with. Such a close-up lens, when placed in front of the ONE's objective, will provide excellent images of small targets  :-+ You can almost make a thermal microscope with the shorter FL lenses  :)

Aurora

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 10:28:57 pm »
How reliable should it work with any android phone?

There are only a few phones listed on flirs website,
I have a LG Optimus X4 HD

Do you think I can order without worrys or make sure I will be able to return it if my handy does not likes it?

It probably won't work properly on your phone. It has a NVIDIA Tegra SoC which is notoriously difficult for screen recorders and other things that read from the frame buffer.

It'll be very likely the live preview / video recording functions won't work. Picture taking will probably still work though.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:59 pm »
The new Flir One as it stands is perfect for all my needs. Easy, convenient, decent resolution and now a -20 to +120 degree temp range. And all for £160 ish + VAT.

Everybody I show it to wants one for that price, a new 'must have' gadget for those that have never seen one before.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:47:52 pm by TopLoser »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »
there is a flir one v2 (android) review with some nice raw images
http://www.slashgear.com/flir-one-thermal-camera-for-android-hands-on-30391243/

s sample:

the code:
exiftool -b -RawThermalImage 1.jpg > v2.png
convert  -define png:swap-bytes=on v2.png -auto-level -filter point -resize 960x 960x720.png

//get palette
exiftool 1.jpg -b -Palette > pal.raw
convert 960x720.png pal.png -clut 960x720color.png

convert -size 960x720 tile:6x6.png -transparent white grid6.png
convert 960x720color.png grid6.png -flatten overlay-160x120color.png
convert overlay-160x120color.png -crop 200x150+540+500 -quality 100 crop-160x120color.jpg

//  120x90 (x8 -> 960x720)
convert -size 960x720 tile:8x8.png -transparent white grid8.png
convert 960x720color.png grid8.png -flatten overlay-120x90color.png
convert overlay-120x90color.png -crop 200x150+540+500 -quality 100 crop-120x90color.jpg

and the result:

160x120

120x90

To my mind the resampling algorithmus of this image is really better.
I cant see the sensor resolution on diagonal lines (typical steps) and noise artefacts.
It's possible that this pre-production (android) model is not software (firmware) crippled.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »
The android software is still under development as we know. The iOS software would have had to have been submitted to Apple for approval some time ago and needs to be re-approved with each update.

Could it just be that we are seeing a new version of processing algorithms that have yet to be released for the iOS model ?  There is also the possibility that the 2nd Gen ONE for iOS is running software based on the old 80x60 iOS FLIR ONE version. The Android software will likely be all new and potentially created by a different team of coders ?

The banding on the prototypes images is unusual but may well be a software issue that still requires 'treatment'.

If the images produced by the pre-release Android version are already better than those that we have seen from the iOS I am hopeful that we may see great things from the 2nd Gen One Android in July  :-+

Aurora

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2015, 03:24:40 pm »
the above image converted with level stretching (min. temperature spreading) shows interesting artefacts

convert 960x720.png -level 20000,50000 1.png
The image quality is great!!

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »
the raw image is ovesharpen

The banding on the prototypes images is unusual but may well be a software issue that still requires 'treatment'.
Aurora

I think, it's a bad NUC (Non Uniformity Correction) function

from user manuel
The camera has a mechanical shutter inside that periodically activates
and allows the thermal camera to do a calibration or image refresh.
When the shutter activates, the image will freeze for a brief period.
The purpose of the shutter is to allow the camera to provide an
improved image. The FLIR ONE performs the tuning operation
automatically on a periodic basis.

... I am hopeful that we may see great things from the 2nd Gen One Android in July  :-+
Aurora

like Flir One v2 connected to a Linux PC (i.e. a raspberry pi webcam)  :-+

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »
like Flir One v2 connected to a Linux PC (i.e. a raspberry pi webcam)  :-+
does that really work?

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »
sounds like a minor hack with the Flir One SDK and an USB adapter (OTG?)
http://developer.flir.com/flir-one-software-development-kit/

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2015, 01:57:32 pm »
Ok my phone is most likely not flir compatible even after installing a 5.1 ROM it does not allow me to download the flir one apk from the pay store :/
could someone send it to me for testing if it installs.

With the 5.1 rom it however allows to install the seek thermal software.

So if there is no simple way to operate the flir from a windows or Linux PS/Table I will have to go for the seek :'( damn it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:00:48 pm by Trax »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:16 pm »
Why do you have to go for the SEEK ?...... I think you will regret such a decision.

I bought a used phone cheaply off of ebay for my SEEK experiments and I will be using it for my V2 FLIR ONE. It cost me £30 for an as new Motorols MOTO G. It was sold cheaply as it is a US Verizon phone that does not work as a phone in the UK. I also bought a MOTO X for £20 because it had a faulty speaker. That is no good however as it is not 'On the Go' capable.

I often see various mobile phones sold with faulty phone parts such as 'will not read SIM' or speaker broken etc. Take a look fro a decent condition one that suits your needs.Do not pay too much though  ;)  The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity is normally still fully operational in these phones..

Aurora

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
>Why do you have to go for the SEEK

Cause its more likely to work with my phone, and if not there are sources in an other thread here some-ware to with a windows app that would allow me to use it on any of my x86 windows tablets.

I haven't looked on ebay for cheep compatible phones,
but if you look on the flir website the tested phones are only very few top of the line units. Of cause it will very likely work also with sufficiently many older cheep units but without knowing which once its like playing roulette.

Or do you think that all thats needed is USB OTG and a kernel >= 4.3

My LG has OTG support only with a custom kernel so possibly google thinks than my phone does not have OTG at all and thats why it denyes the installation even with a 5.x ROM.

I think the best would be if someone would find a quick way to use the Flir One on a normal PC/tablet with windows/linux.

Trax
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:42:23 pm by Trax »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
You could also get an iPod touch. Not sure if it's a cheaper alternative, but you would be able to order the iOS version which is a few weeks wait I believe.

Offline Trax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2015, 08:44:32 pm »
You could also get an iPod touch. Not sure if it's a cheaper alternative, but you would be able to order the iOS version which is a few weeks wait I believe.

My aversion towards apple is to large for that. I already get pustules when I have to use MacOS in a VM.
If I would have to use an actual crapple device my tow nails would probably role up or something similar.
:scared:

But on a serious note I really like x86 hardware and something that runs on almost any android has good chances to be runnable under windows/linux on a PC as happened with the seek.
So I definitely will go for something that is android compatible.
I don't mind the waiting I have enough other work to take my mind of the waiting. :popcorn:

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:27 pm »
Heh I gave in to Apple many years ago :'(. Ran Linux prior to that for many years. The older I get the more I find I'd rather spend my time tinkering with my projects then keeping my computer and phones running the latest hack or whatnot. Apple devices are restricted, but at least they work well out of the box.

I understand though 8)

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:53 pm »
Off-topic but locally on topic: Same with me. I exclusively used Linux (and sometimes Windows) from the mid-nineties until about 2007. A customer complained that a web application I had developed did not work in "Safari".

So I begrudgibgly went to the Apple Store and bought a Mac Mini to test the app against. And the rest is history: desktop Unix that generally "just works"--and doesn't require constant hand-compilation of the kernel or kernel modules.

Been using Mac when I can ever since. I'm torn on iOS vs Android though. I own devices of both platforms, but ordered the iOS flavor of the Flir One v2.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2015, 10:42:37 pm »
With an added lens I found the Seek to be more than usable for my electronics work.

I'm likely to sell my Seek I acquired from Aurora soon and move to a Flir One, but I'm still pretty happy with the Seek. I think with some better software it would be a good alternative to the Flir. The sensor may not be as good but for general purpose electronics work (finding shorts, determining hotspots, etc.) it works exactly as one would require.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2015, 11:30:29 am »
a minor hint:
Flir double the (extrapolated) image size of the embedded raw values from Flir One version 1 to 2.

$ exiftool -RAWTHERMAL* FLIR_ONE*
======== FLIR_ONE.jpg
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 120
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 160
Raw Thermal Image Type          : PNG
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 19971 bytes, use -b option to extract)
======== FLIR_ONEV2-ANDROID.jpg
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 320
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 240
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 52476 bytes, use -b option to extract)
======== FLIR_ONEV2-IOS.jpg
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 240
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 320
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 80870 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Source:
Flir One V2 Android http://www.slashgear.com/flir-one-thermal-camera-for-android-hands-on-30391243/
Flir One V2 IOS https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/actual-resolution-of-flir-one-v2/msg701478/#msg701478

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2015, 03:52:36 am »
Looks like FLIR have released another product using the 160x120 lepton core - the FLIR K2 (firefighting camera).

According to this press release: http://investors.flir.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=916817