Author Topic: Best thermal imagers for smartphones  (Read 15845 times)

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best thermal imagers for smartphones
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 08:41:06 am »
any documentation anywhere on how to get the 30fps for the seek thermal compact xr? i tried to google for something but i cant seem to find it..

There is a separate line in the export controls identifying software that defeats a camera's 9Hz limitation as being a controlled item.  Therefore, most people who are aware of that restriction refrain from publicly publishing such information in order to reduce the risk of losing both their assets and their freedom.   :scared:
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline jancelotTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 10:25:01 am »
any documentation anywhere on how to get the 30fps for the seek thermal compact xr? i tried to google for something but i cant seem to find it..

There is a separate line in the export controls identifying software that defeats a camera's 9Hz limitation as being a controlled item.  Therefore, most people who are aware of that restriction refrain from publicly publishing such information in order to reduce the risk of losing both their assets and their freedom.   :scared:
But is it a software or hardware modification?

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 09:50:32 pm »

I suspect publishing such a hardware mod would be frowned upon as well.

Or if you change the firmware, I believe that qualifies as software.

I think there was mention of trying to get data directly from the sensor but I have not seen anyone pursuing that.  With options like the Therma Expert available nobody finds it worth the effort.
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 10:22:58 pm »

I suspect publishing such a hardware mod would be frowned upon as well.

Or if you change the firmware, I believe that qualifies as software.

I think there was mention of trying to get data directly from the sensor but I have not seen anyone pursuing that.  With options like the Therma Expert available nobody finds it worth the effort.
According to this website, only the TE-V1 is available in 30Hz option, while the <9Hz version is already 4499 Euro (VAT included). For that price I would get the Therm-App. The TE-Q1 PRO is not available in high framerate.

https://www.thermalexpert.eu/english-1/product-overview/

Offline Majoren

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 08:20:34 pm »
well the seek thermal is almost half the price of that thermal expert so... its not really that would be within my budget, i would rather just get something "home made" as in a FLIR if i wanted to spit out above 250 bucks...

Offline SmartInfrared

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 04:49:40 am »
Among these models, FOTRIC 220 series (several models) are professional grade with, Wide temperature range -20C~650C (-4F~1,202F), Emissivity set for each ROI, Radiometric video recording, Various lens including 20um Macro lens, Longest battery time (10+ hours), Handheld/test bench/fixed mount, 2 years warranty, etc.

220 brochure     
http://www.fotric.com/manual/FOTRIC%20220%20Series%20Product%20Brochure.pdf

Here's a little list of the best thermal imagers I've found that work with android:

Post below additional ones.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:10:47 am by SmartInfrared »
Welcome to join in the Infrared Camera group in Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InfraredCamera/

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 09:41:39 am »
That sounds a lot like an advertisement.
I wouldn't trust a product that has barely any online presence and no established brand with extreme prices.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 11:51:03 am »
The Seek and Thermal Expert are still on microUSB while all my devices are already USB-C. Flir here at least is on top of its game. I've sold a few months ago the Flir ONE first generation and was happy about it, I even didn't use the official app because registration is required, there are other 2 apps on the Play Store that work perfectly.

Choosing a thermal camera based on its interface connector is like choosing a car by the shape of its key.

The Flir One Pro costs €480 shipped while the TE-Q1 is €640. The Seek, I've seen several complains about the software on the forums. Also, comparing the first generation of both Flir One and Seek Compact back in the day, the Flir was way better so now I tend to think that Seek copies Flir, like it happens on the chinese industry with smartphones.  Also, the TE-Q1 has much lower measuring range.

FLIR is not better anymore. They went backwards, hard.
Seek isn't copying them.
The Q1's range is just calibration - it can measure much higher and lower, just needs user calibration.

About japanese brands, I've found Nippon Avionics but no smartphone thermal camera yet: http://www.avio.co.jp/english/products/infrared/

I just mentioned NEC. That's them.

Still, do you recommend me the Seek CompactPro or the TE-Q1?

If you have the budget, the TE-Q1 with the Plus lens(the slightly longer focal length one) is a no-brainer. It crushes the Seek in performance and wipes its shoes with Lepton-based FLIR offerings.

Here's a comprehensive list of ballpark prices and qualities of all mobile devices, listed in the order of performance:
I've excluded Fortic because I don't know anyone or have seen anyone use them, and their prices are just too high for what they offer.
Highlighted are the best value for money options and notable characteristics in various price ranges.

Therm-App Pro(640x480 @ 25Hz, $4000) >
Therm-App Hz(384x288 @ 25Hz, $1300-1700, depending on whether you get it legitimately or hack) >
Therm-App Standard w/ 35mm lens(384x288 @ 9Hz, $1600-1900, lens is a $750 upgrade that also applies to the Hz) >
Therm-App Standard(384x288 @ 9Hz, $1000-1100) >
TE-Q1 Plus full-rate(384x288, better lens, 25-30Hz, $600-900) >
TE-Q1 Plus(384x288, better lens, 9Hz, $600-$700) >
TE-Q1(384x288 @ 9Hz, slightly worse lens, $500-600) >
Xinfrared Xtherm(384x288 @ 25Hz, $500) No testimonials or feedback so far. Buy at your own risk.
Seek Compact PRO full-rate(320x240 @ 15-30Hz, unstable high frame rates, model number ending with X, eg. UQ-AAAX, $500) >
Seek Compact PRO(320x240 @ 9Hz, $500) >
Seek Compact XR(206x156 @ 9hz on phone, @ 30Hz hacked, better lens and more narrow, $200-300) >
Seek Compact(206x156 @ 9Hz, @ 30Hz hacked, standard lens, $200) >
FLIR ONE Gen2(160x120 @ 3-9Hz, obsolete, $230-250) >
FLIR ONE PRO Gen3(160x120 @ 5-9Hz, same sensor with degraded overall performance, $500, terrible value for money) >
FLIR ONE Gen3(80x60 @ 3-9Hz, Lepton2 sensor, $200, terrible value for money)

The Gen2 FLIR One can sometimes jump above the Seek Compact in terms of performance, but connecting it to a PC easily makes up for the performance loss.

There's no such thing as Seek Compact Pro with full frame rate. One of the features of the Compact Pro (as opposed to the plain Compact) is its high frame rate. It's part of what makes it the pro version, instead of the normal version. All Seek Compact Pro units have frame rates over 15hz. It says so in the specs on their website. If it gets a slower frame rate, that is because you are using a slow phone or tablet that can't keep up with the device's output.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »
There's no such thing as Seek Compact Pro with full frame rate. One of the features of the Compact Pro (as opposed to the plain Compact) is its high frame rate. It's part of what makes it the pro version, instead of the normal version. All Seek Compact Pro units have frame rates over 15hz. It says so in the specs on their website. If it gets a slower frame rate, that is because you are using a slow phone or tablet that can't keep up with the device's output.

Incorrect. There are two versions of the Compact PRO, one marked with an X at the end of the model number(UQ-AAAX or UQ-EAAAX) - that one has >9Hz output, and the other not marked with an X, for export(for example, to China, where I got mine from).
The non-X version is firmware-limited to 9Hz and has no USB modes that allow it to go above 9, unlike the Compact and XR.

Offline jcsistemas2001

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
Hi Spirit532,
Please, may I know what you mean "hacked" in the Seek Compact(206x156 @ 9Hz, @ 30Hz hacked, standard lens, $200) >
Any reference?
Thanks!

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 09:44:57 am »
Discussing means of bypassing international export restrictions on a public forum is a very, very unwise idea, so I'm afraid not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 11:43:35 am »
Discussing means of bypassing international export restrictions on a public forum is a very, very unwise idea, so I'm afraid not.
I'm not getting it at all.... who's imposing export restrictions, the United States or some sort of international consortium or how does exactly it work?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 12:25:54 pm »
Finally got my Therm-App Standard (384x288 @ 9Hz), and has great quality. I must say that the optics are outstanding. Comes with 19mm lenses, which have quite a lot of zoom. If you try to see things inside a room on your house you must stick to the opposite wall as away as possible because the field of view is noticeable narrow for interior. That should be great for exteriors, did not test yet.
Also, it has manual focus, rotating the knurled lens housing with your hand. Really nice.

There's an annoyance though, the official android app doesn't allow to set custom temperature range, only auto-range all the time.

There a third-party one, which allows to lock the range, but you can't just enter the maximum and minimum values there, only you click a lock icon and locks the current values, so you have kind of move around until the current maximum and minimum values fit you. The third-party app doesn't have several coloring options, only two different grey scales.

These are the microUSB to USB-C adapters recommended by the brand:
Therm-App USB Type-C phones

However I recommend buying directly a cable with both connectors, for USB-C phones:
- flickr adapter discussion

4" Right Angle Micro USB to Type C OTG Cable for Portable Digital DAC Amplifier
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:02:09 am by jancelot »

The following users thanked this post: carpin

Offline Davidli

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 01:00:01 am »
T3S is available

The following users thanked this post: jancelot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo