Author Topic: DIY Desktop Thermal Camera (with ThermalEYE 3500AS Core)  (Read 2327 times)

Offline ChristopherNTopic starter

• Supporter
    • app22 UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
DIY Desktop Thermal Camera (with ThermalEYE 3500AS Core)
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:52:08 pm »
Hi,

just wanted to share my desktop thermal camera build. It's based on a ThermalEye 3500AS core I got for nearly nothing a few years ago. That core is intended for security applications and so on. The resolution is not that great, only 160x120, but it's good enough for close up work. The focus is adjustable and the camera outputs 30Hz, which is quite nice.

Other components used are a Raspberry Pi3 + Display and one of those cheap VTOP USB capture devices.

I might add a Pi Camera module for a MSX like vision later, is there any open source software for that? I'll wire the control interface up to see what I can get out of the camera (and to change modes).

The image looks way better on the local screen.

Christopher

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY Desktop Thermal Camera (with ThermalEYE 3500AS Core)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:51:48 pm »
Nice project.

I have purchased a photographic enlarger in order to re-purpose the table and vertical pole to hold one of my cameras above a PCB. The pole has a geared height adjustable saddle on which to attach the camera. Pictures later.

The Raytheon 3500AS is a nice A-Si core. Do you have the manual, software or command set for the core yet ?

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »
I found the integration guide online some years ago, it's L3 Communications branded.

It has all the details regarding the connectors, but I don't have the matching software. Thats the main reason I have not used the camera until now.

I got 2 2500AS as well, those are without USB interface as far as I know.

Let me know if you have any use for the integration guide.

Christopher

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:36:04 pm »
Some pictures of my table top vertical stand solution. It is almost finished, just some minor tweaks to the camera adapter bracket spigot that mates with the saddle orifice.

This stand needs to offer me enough height to permit various minimum focus distance cameras and lenses so it is larger then you need. The geared saddle is excellent for setting the height though.

The original Meopta head can be adapted to provide a camera mount by cutting away all but the spigot and the fine vertical adjustment that was originally for the enlargers lens focus. I was lucky and found a camera bracket that I could adapt by adding a suitable 18mm diameter metal spigot to mate with the saddle.

I am a great fan of re-purposing obsolete equipment and these old enlargers are often to be found cheaply in charity shops and on ebay. Often the postage costs more than the unit though ! I managed to purchase two in the period of a few days. One was local and the other was posted to me. They are very nicely constructed and were made in Czechoslovakia.

Now to the pictures......

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »
More pics of my stand

Fraser

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:42:32 pm »
Nice, I will look for one of those on the local flea markets.

Christopher

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 08:43:05 pm »
Detail of the original enlarger head bottom section and the spigot assembly that may be adapted into a camera holder. Note the horizontal adjustable plate that is equipped with a wide slot. A camera could be attached to that plate with a suitable screw or an adapter plate. This would provide fine adjustment of height as well. Some loss of rigidity may also occur however.

These old enlarger stands are very adaptable and much cheaper than the decent copy stands sold for photography. There are some cheap copy stands but I would not trust them with my expensive, and sometimes heavy, cameras.

The large platform is nicely made and may be reduced in size or replaced with something different.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf