Author Topic: Figuring out some low-cost options for a rm, 160x120 (or better) IR imager  (Read 1265 times)

Offline froggTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi folks,

I'm new here, so likely I'll be posting more questions than answers at this point :)

One thing I'm trying to do is figure out the most cost effective way to obtain at least a 160x120 pixel radiometric IR imaging device.

The first option I'm considering is a radiometric Lepton 3.5 on a Purethermal 2 board ($354) or a Purethermal 1 board ($349). The pricing, I assume, is there to encourage the purchase of the newer board. I like this option since it also has decent associated software support.

Another option is the radiometric lepton 3.5 on a lepton breakout board, which brings costs down to around $290, but the extra cost of building the interface might make this a false economy ( for me, at least )

the original/old Seek Reveal is currently in the low $300 range, has the advantage of being a self-contained unit, but also uses a noisy sensor, and is pretty limited in terms of interface. The same goes for the Android/iOS ThermalXR, which as I understand it, doesn't have particularly good 3rd party software support if I want to connect it to a windows or linux box (Seek-o-fix). The Flir ONE Pro seems to have the same issues. (Maybe i'm wrong there?)

That's about the extent of my limited knowledge on the subject. Are there any new products that might fit the bill?

I know that there is some discussion about the 220 x 160 IR HTI handhelds that are now selling for around $409. There are bunch of older fluke-style handheld meters, but they seem to have software-based limitations on max temp, no savings images, no PC connection, etc.

Any thoughts on something like the HTI HT-18 vs a Lepton radiometric 3.5 on a groupgets board? I know they are two very different products - one is a handheld imager with a display, the other is PC-only.

Thanks

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Hey,

as far as HTI goes - that is a seek core rehoused. I don't know how comfortable you feel about it - but a good trick in the past has been to pickup a used FLIR ONE on eBay and take out the Lepton core.

Offline johnparker

• !
Recently tried out the PerfectPrime IR0018 and seems pretty great. The resolution is 220 x 160 and images are quite good.
Not sure if discounts are reusable, but they gave me this (5DHIOWHSK) to get 5% off. You can try it out.
Excellent product for its value.

Here is the link to the IR0018: https://perfectprime.com/products/ir0018

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf